• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Ancient Platinum

Linnie

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2022
    I've been hugely anticipating this hack since June, but I've been disparaged at the lack of updates. I'm just curious, has any big progress been made since June, or is the project on the backburner at the moment?

Also, is this the best site to watch for updates for this hack, or is there another that is updated more often for it?

I very much wish for your hack to be completed and to be a masterpiece, and hope the best comes from it with little trouble.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • I've been hugely anticipating this hack since June, but I've been disparaged at the lack of updates. I'm just curious, has any big progress been made since June, or is the project on the backburner at the moment?

Also, is this the best site to watch for updates for this hack, or is there another that is updated more often for it?

I very much wish for your hack to be completed and to be a masterpiece, and hope the best comes from it with little trouble.

We're currently looking for someone who can do map connections, as that bit is halting our progress completely as of right now. I'm also planning on starting with a new rom to save space as I've done this one pretty sloppily. I apologize for the late reply, although this site does have the most updated thread, Mateo and I are consistently on Pokemon Hackers Online as we administrate the site and therefore are much easier to contact on there.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I have to ask this, how will you impliment the special/physical split? There's a fangame on the Pokemon Essentials RPG engine that uses 2nd gen stuff that impliments the split on some level but the battle system is based on final fantasy as opposed to pokemon, I do hope you find a way to impliment the 4th gen split into the 2nd gen game engine.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • There are already Gen II patches for the P/S split, and we also know how to add it by hand, it will be added :D

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    AWESOME!!! I have to get one of those patches to play some of my other games a lot better, thanks for the heads up on that, and I'm eager to see how this goes.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • So I've started on a new ROM, all of the Pokemon for Beta 1 are ready to go, except for movesets.

We've also implemented the P/S split among a few other asm hacks. As of right now there are no new moves in AP, however I would like to add specialty moves and some really good moves like Close Combat.

I mentioned that I needed to do movesets still, but Turtwig line has been completed already. Any moves that don't exist will be temporarily replaced by existing moves, such as Torterra's Leaf Storm being replaced by Solar Beam.

We are probably adding some new tiles in today, so look forward to some new screenshots soon.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I question to use of any special attacks on a Torterra all things considered. Unless you plan to give it a buff to the special attack stat it is kinda pointless to give Torterra any special attacks unless it's like Mud Slap and thus has a primary use as a support move rather than offensive. Same with other pokemon that still don't have moves that allow them to fully benefit the special/physical split.

Also will TMs be reusable or not? Because if not the TMs should be fairly plentiful at least if you use G/S/C's TMs over any of the 4th gen TMs, as G/S/C was screwed up in that there was no way to effectively get more of each TM besides cheating or trading. On a related note will the battle frontier still be featured? I should hope so since it was where most of the other TMs were found and all.

And what about pokeballs? Will they each actually look like the ball they're supposed to be? And since this is built upon the Gold version, might it be possible to impliment apricorns? They would be ideal for many of Sinnoh's pokemon, especially the moon ball for any cleffa/clefairy in Mt. Coronet or the use of Fast Balls on either Mesprit/Cresselia/Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres postgame.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • 1. Base stats are as they were in Gen 4, although any pokemon from before Gen 4 may have their Gen 2 stats.

2. We have a whole new TM list as most of the moves simply can't be added without extensive hacking of the move list. Here is a list of what we will be adding and replacing. The following are moves not used by anything in Platinum, so we decided to make use of them:

Pay Day - Aura Sphere
    Crabhammer - Hail
    Spider Web - Aqua Tail
    Barrage - Stone Edge
    Bone Club - Shadow Force
    Bonemerang - Judgement
    Mega Kick - Flash Cannon
    Lovely Kiss - Volt Tackle
    Present - Dragon Claw
    Sketch - Signal Beam
    Triple Kick - Draco Meteor
    Milk Drink - Dragon Rush
    Aeroblast - Roar of Time
    Sacred Fire - Spacial Rend
    Unused 1 - Magical Leaf
    Unused 2 - U-Turn
    Unused 3 - Seed Flare

3. Battle Frontier will be in the game, although some of the features you may be wanting will not be making an appearance. Many of the TMs laying around the game will be replaced by evolution items, pokeballs, and so forth.

4. No new pokeballs are planned to be added at this time, however Kurt's Pokeballs will be much more plentiful and we'll be trying to fix the bugged pokeballs like the Love Ball. Apricorn trees have already been placed on a few maps.

Last edited:

Linnie

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2022
    Hmm, could it be explained, in layman's since I'm not a hacker, what's causing the connections to be so difficult?

I don't think it's an easy thing to do to connect maps at all, I assure, but I'm just wondering what's causing a lack of progress here when other hacks with custom regions or new areas can connect maps without issue (at least from what we see from the finished product). If it's a really technical thing that can't be explained to anyone without in-depth knowledge of hacking I apologize for asking, I'm just curious if there's anything special with the connections that needs to be done relative to other hacks.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Hmm, could it be explained, in layman's since I'm not a hacker, what's causing the connections to be so difficult?

I don't think it's an easy thing to do to connect maps at all, I assure, but I'm just wondering what's causing a lack of progress here when other hacks with custom regions or new areas can connect maps without issue (at least from what we see from the finished product). If it's a really technical thing that can't be explained to anyone without in-depth knowledge of hacking I apologize for asking, I'm just curious if there's anything special with the connections that needs to be done relative to other hacks.

The easiest way of explaining it would be the fact that Gen III has several map editors that do the connections for you. This isn't really the case with Gen II as it has to be done by hand and every parameter needs to be calculated using a certain formula.

If there were an advanced map editor with a visual connection editor, there wouldn't be an issue, but unfortunately the best tool we have for map hacking is JohtoMap which does not have a visual editor like AdvanceMap does.

Linnie

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2022
    I see; I didn't realize it was as tedious as that due to hacks like Dark Energy and Prism having completely new areas, but I guess those are done by different authors who might be more talented at the process but more busy as well which is why they couldn't easily step in to assist.

Though, maybe I should have taken the hint at it being difficult since both hacks I mentioned have been in development for years.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • Interesting gold hack, sinnoh was one of my most favourite regions, I would be looking forward to this hack, good luck with completing it

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2016
    Hey if you want to, I happen to know how to demake music from Pokémon Platinum into 8-Bit. I can get to work on it and it could be done within a few days at least.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I'm afraid this thread hasn't been posted in since more than a month ago, so I'm going to have to close it. Pia Carrot, if you want this thread re-opened just message me or Spherical Ice.

:t363: closed

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Thanks Christos,

To everyone who is finding this thread again, with the development of pokecrystal, I feel confident that this hack is now possible on a Crystal ROM. The development of this game crashed nearly 2 years ago due to the absolute lack of documentation and agreement on how map connections worked. I for the life of me could not figure it out myself, and thus you couldn't even leave Twinleaf Town. As a developer this was very discouraging, the alpha was going to be released soon, which would have included Oreburgh Gym, and upwards to the windmill event. I am happy to announce, though, that Ancient Platinum is back on the table and I am ready to begin work on it.

Glad to be back,
    Pia Carrot

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Really excited to see this back in development! Looking forward to seeing what you can do Pia.

Back