• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Apokélypse

Civet

Civet the Cat
    Years
    Pokémon Apokélypse [NEW HACK!]

Pokémon Apokélypse

Intro: Okay, let's get started, shall we? I'm a new face; I've never released a ROM hack, nor posted much on this site. So let me tell you a little bit about myself. I am Civet. I've been working on my own project for a few months, without any assitance or ideas. However, like most lone ROM hackers, work gets tedious and the contemplation of assistance begins to fog your brain. I usually lurk around this very subforum, and the great hacks and ideas I have seen makes me strive to reach that level. This shows that I am hardworking and committed to my projects. I'm very friendly and considerate, and I would love to work alongside a loyal team.

Storyline of my Hack: Some may see my storyline as generic. However, the storyline is subject to change or to be elaborated on. Thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated. I take constructive criticism well.

You are a fifteen year old living in Chandra Village, getting ready to set off into the region of Kyoka with your best friend. However, your friend thinks that it will be benefitial if you both go alone, thus leaving you in order to carry on his adventure.

Shortly after splitting up with your friend, you are confronted by a suspicious man, who says he has been watching you battle and could use your talent in a much more brutal kind of battling. He then tells you to 'keep it up' and disappears.

You'll be involved in "Secret Underground Battling", organised by the "SUBO" (Secret Underground Battling Organisation). These type of battles have no rules. Trainers participating are now proposing ''Danger Battles'' in which you either gain or lose a Pokémon depending on if you win, or if you lose.

The SUBO organise tournaments in which you obtain a coloured slip if you win said tournament. The string attached is that each tournament beyond will require a coloured slip in order to participate. There are a total of 3 tournaments and 1 elite tournament. As you move up the ranks and approach the elite tournament, you will face Danger Battles, money bribes and even Pokémon bribes!

Who will be the leader of this evil organisation? Where is your best friend? Will you extinguish this illegal disaster and innihilate the roots of evil?

Will you rise, or will you fall, in this action-filled hack? Only you can control that.

Screenshots: Time for the lucious eye-candy (I haven't made a titlescreen, yet):
    Spoiler:

Features:

New starters: That's correct. Nothing to jump out of your seats over, sorry. I'm still not 100% sure on the starter Pokémon, so, again, thoughts and ideas will be appreciated.

New region: Again, nothing to make you slam your door shut and no-life this game in the corner of your room xD. Kyoka is the name of the new region, however, I don't have a world map for it as of yet.

Nationaldex activated from the start: I figured this will be crucial as you can catch third-generation Pokemon in the first patch of grass.

New tiles: Subject to change.

No Elite Four: As generic as my hack may seem, I won't be including elite four. I'm not actually sure on what I'm going to organise for the "final" event of my hack.

Every Pokémon catchable: Added this as a feature for those die-hard Pokémon fans who must fill their Pokédex's to the brink. I may add a special event for those who do so, in my hack (if any).

Danger Battles: You either gain or lose a Pokémon/item depending if you win or lose the battle. I think this will not only make the game more exciting, but it will also make it more of a challenge for the competitive community (note: you will be able to win back your lost Pokémon).

Bribes: Will you accept these mass amounts of money or rare Pokémon bribes? I decide to add this in the game to give the player a choice on how they want the storyline to go.

Things to come: As I've explained, my thoughts and ideas are all over the show with what I can do and what I can achieve with this hack. I should really write my ideas down.

Anyway, I have a bunch of cool midi files (nothing you've ever heard, before) that I may add to the game to make it more original.

I would really like to add a day/night/morning system with different Pokémon appearing at certain times, but I basically have no knowledge whatsoever on that subject (not too late to learn).

I'd like a team! I'm a perfectionist, therefore I do everything to the best of my ability. This doesn't have to apply for you, I understand you have lives to attend, etc. I'm looking forward to share my project to anyone who is willing to improve its status and stability. I'm also looking for general quest writers to write sprite messages, general ideas and quests/events.

Credits:
    Punk Rocker, Kyledove and Peyi for the rombase.
    Pink Typhlosion for the banner and userbar.
    Team Apokélypse.

Userbar:
    Spoiler:

Conclusion: I hope that I can take this project until completion. I'll release a beta version soon so you can check it out. In the meantime, if you have any questions or criticism, don't hesitate to reply to this thread. If you'd like to help out with this hack, please click here.

Beta 1 Completion: llllllllllllllllllll 95%
    Beta 2 Completion: llllllllllllllllllll 30%

Project's Status: Active!

Last edited:

Al3x

Pokémon Fan
    Years
    Oh this looks great! and it seems like the starter is Tyrogue, I personally don't mind him but I fine it annoying that he only learns tackle, but maybe you can make it so you can get a TM in route 1 possibly? like brick break, so he wouldn't be so hard to train.

Civet

Civet the Cat
    Years
    Oh this looks great! and it seems like the starter is Tyrogue, I personally don't mind him but I fine it annoying that he only learns tackle, but maybe you can make it so you can get a TM in route 1 possibly? like brick break, so he wouldn't be so hard to train.

I've added more moves to Tyrogue so it can learn more than just tackle. It now learns moves at level 7, 11, 16, 21 and 24. Won't tell you what they are, though!

They are somewhat balanced moves, as in it doesn't learn Hyper Beam at level 11, for example. So that's nothing to worry about!

Years
    Wow this looks awesome...! and I mean that.
    I think the starter should be Tyrogue, if not I'd love to see it be Larvitar, because I LOVE IT!!
    I absoulety love the Idea of 'Danger Battles'.

I'd love to work on this, as a mapper,and userbar maker(too bad you already have a storyline).

If you seem interested just PM me, or start a team in the 'Team Discussions' thread (I'd be the first to join ;))

I have many ideas for this hack, I'd love to share it with you.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
    I'm liking the idea of a kind of "thug" game. The tiles, although they are good, I find them a bit rusty. I dunno, they just strike me as bland.

Other than that, I find it to be a fun game to play and want to see more!

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    This has some interesting and inovating features I gotta say =)
    Tyrogue as a starter...? Interesting I've never used it so it'll be interesting change :D
    Even though those tiles are overused it looks good :)
    So G'luck to you =)

Years
    HOLY CRAP! That is so freakin' dark! Ive not seen anything like that, and Ive, personally, have been stalking these forums for years as well. No one has, as far as ive seen, come up with a more unique idea, and I can not wait to play this one!

I would offer to help in any way, but my experience comes to a screeching halt after the basic patching ips/ups files to roms. In other words, I have no experience in anything like this, but if you want any help from an inexperienced person, I'm your guy :)
    Anyway, I wish you luck on this, and I look forward to seeing it progress as time goes on.

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    i think starters should be elekid and magby and that fighting guy. but could you have the third evolutions for elekid and magby (Electivire and Magmortor) ?

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    I don't think using Tyrogue as a starter is a good idea.
    It has horrible stats, and I don't really think buffing up a Pokemon weak almost like Magikarp is truly right... :/

Civet

Civet the Cat
    Years
    I don't think using Tyrogue as a starter is a good idea.
    It has horrible stats, and I don't really think buffing up a Pokemon weak almost like Magikarp is truly right... :/

I've edited the base-stats of Tyrogue, making it more like a starter Pokémon. Its new stats are on the same level as the starter Pokémon in the official games.

i think starters should be elekid and magby and that fighting guy. but could you have the third evolutions for elekid and magby (Electivire and Magmortor) ?

I was going to make a starter triangle. However, you wake up late and miss the Professor giving out Pokémon to the other trainers, thus leaving you with Tyrogue. Nice idea, though - I may add them later into the game.

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2014
    I like the idea of having Tyrogue as a starter. Leaves it open for you to choose which evolution you want.

Although, it's funny someone mentioned the elekid. magby tarter suggestion. Because I was also considering that!

Best of luck to you on your hack!

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2019
    Reply to Pokemon Apokelypse

I think this hack will be interesting once the little issues are ironed out. If I may suggest a couple of things, I think the starters should follow some sort of pattern, possibly a fighting/psychic/dark trio, just to preserve a rival-esque feel? Maybe if you so choose you can use the hitmons, chan, lee, and top. Again, it's up to you. I can't wait for the first beta to see where you go with it and what you decide to do with the plot and the events and such. I can't wait to see it!

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2011
    I like the idea of 'danger battles'. I was thinking of something similar myself. Good job.

Civet

Civet the Cat
    Years
    PeterFoster111 said:
    Seems like a good hack, but shoulden't it follow the storyline of the Pokemon Apokelypse dark and gritty flim?

Thanks. I am probably going to add the storyline in, but in a twisted way. This will not only make the hack more original, but it will also make it much more exciting as the pieces of the story come together, revealing many questions you'll be asking yourself before-hand.

MirageLucario said:
    I think this hack will be interesting once the little issues are ironed out. If I may suggest a couple of things, I think the starters should follow some sort of pattern, possibly a fighting/psychic/dark trio, just to preserve a rival-esque feel? Maybe if you so choose you can use the hitmons, chan, lee, and top. Again, it's up to you. I can't wait for the first beta to see where you go with it and what you decide to do with the plot and the events and such. I can't wait to see it!

Thanks for pointing out those factors. However, the storyline has the fact that you wake up late and miss the Professor handing out the Pokémon to the other trainers. I may make a poll for the community to decide whether to choose from a trio at the start of the game, or this will come in later in the game. I'm thinking off attaching some strings to what evolution you choose from Tyrogue. However, I won't say any more because that'll ruin the mystery!

I will most likely release the first beta in a few days. Reason being is that I'm probably going to receive some brand new tiles from a friend of mine, which I am going to implement into the hack. If there's anything you'd like to see in the first beta version, post a reply and I'll see what I can do. Credits, as always, will be given for the ideas I decide to add into the hack.

If you would like to help out with the hack, click here and make an application for the team.

Back