• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Battle Chess

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
  • Source: https://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/TPC_hints_at_Jump_Festa_reveal

I didn't see any particular thread covering this game, so here goes:

The Pokémon Company has disclosed more information pertaining to what media they are going to reveal at Jump Festa 2011 this year. Aside from promoting PokéPark 2: Beyond the World at the event, they are also accepting pre-orders for a game called Pokémon Battle Chess. While Battle Chess is not officially available in retail form yet, the Pokémon Company is currently hosting an online version of said game, which can be found here:

https://www.pokemon-bc.com/

However, at the moment, it is only playable in Japanese. While not being well-versed with the Japanese language/symbols, I was still able to roughly grasp the gist of the game. It seems that the goal is for you to protect your "Egg" (which encases a Victini) from damage while defeating/acquiring the Pokémon playing pieces of your opponent. Additionally, you have to take into account the position of your pieces, because in a manner similar to chess, certain Pokémon pieces can only move and/or attack in certain directions. The game features Unova's fully-evolved starter Pokémon, as well as Reshiram, Zekrom, Zoroark, and Patrat.

As of right now, regarding Battle Chess's current incarnation, I feel that the game is engaging and has potential. However, the full, improved experience will likely be provided by the retail version instead, with things such as other Pokémon species and such. In its present form, the game seems like a fun Pokémon-themed diversion you can use to pass the time (at least until the announcement of Gray Version Ruby/Sapphire remakes the new upcoming Pokémon game is unveiled at Jump Festa :cer_laugh:). I'm really hoping that the retail game of Battle Chess can see release outside of Japan, though.

Oh, and on another note, the online version's music so far is AMAZING, reaching EarWormy proportions. :cer_boogie: They definitely seem like worthy additions to Pokémon's really big library of awesome music. So far, I've only heard one main theme used during a "Battle Chess" match, and another theme used in what seems like a tutorial sorts. I haven't played Pokemon Black and White Versions, so I have no idea if these are pieces of remixed BW music or entirely new pieces altogether.

So, has anyone else played this online version of Pokémon Battle Chess? What are your opinions on it?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I played it.

Take Chess but make it not fun at all and add bizarre rules (Reward the player for losing their own pieces by getting to play the super-powered big pieces anywhere on the field)

Giving everything hitpoints and attack values (Not to mention random chance in Chess) creates a boring war of attrition on the corpse of the definition of a classic game. I'd honestly rather play the real thing with some neat sculptures on the board.

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2014
    ^ That.

Pawniard, Bisharp, Resh and Zek as opposing kings, Escavalier as knights...I think a Pokemon-themed chess set would go off a lot better than this Tactics Arena Online ripoff.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • It seems like a pretty fun one, but I cannot play it since I cannot understand japanese or any of that sort.

Back