• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Black 2 hack: Pokémon Black II: Paradigm Shift

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2024
    Pokémon Black II: Paradigm Shift
    Changelog
    Spoiler:

What is this about?
    My previous ROM hack "Pokemon Amalgamation of Emeralds" focused on battles being exclusively double only and among other minor gameplay improvements. I now brought those features over to Generation V, for Black 2. However, the mitigation of HM was unaffected because of technical problems, I decided to change the HM moves around by making them somewhat useful and effective in battle scenarios (details listed below).

• Triple battle now comes into play (no Rotation battle with exception of Heartbreak Charlie)
    • Slightly harder battle difficulty
    • Some NPC have unique battle traits and skills
    • Expanded Pokedex – It is now possible to encounter and capture all Pokemon from past generations in Unova
    • Essential items like Rare Candy and TM are now accessible for purchase for better gameplay flow
    • HM moves are now upgraded instead of mitigating them from being operative:
      1. Cut -- slight boost in damage & inflicts BURN.
      2. Rock Smash -- damage boost & higher chance to decrease DEFENSE.
      3. strength -- boosts in CRIT. ratio & damage.
      4. surf -- ineffectual against your allies.
      5. waterfall -- boosts in damage & FLINCH.
      6. dive -- inflicts CONFUSION & slight damage boost.
      7. fly -- chance to increase SPEED.
      8. flash -- debilities foe's ACCURACY by -2x.
      9. whirlpool -- boosts in damage and ACCURACY.
    More screenshots below

How do I install and play?
    There is an attachment of a .xdelta file you need to patch to the clean, original ROM you have on your system. Go to this site to download Xdelta:
    https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/598/

NOTICE: If you are using MelonDS 0.9.5, the latest version of the emulator, I suggest downgrading to 0.9.3 and early. I am announcing this because the game simply crashes when a trainer spots the player; Using the old version unknowingly avoids that crash. Your experience may be different, this is only a suggestion.

Please disregard the emulator compatibility issue above, as I discovered one user still have persistent hard lock from the game. Instead, diverge your attention to another emulator called Desmume, which can be found here: https://github.com/TASEmulators/desmume/releases/tag/release_0_9_13

Attachments

• Pokémon Black II: Paradigm Shift
      1111.PNG
      75.1 KB · Views: 51
    • Paradigm shift II.xdelta
      262.3 KB · Views: 118
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2024
    Yo looks cool. What exactly are all the HM changes?

Rock Smash -- damage boost, higher chance to decrease defense.
    strength -- boost in crit. ratio, damage
    surf -- ineffectual against your allies.
    waterfall -- boost in damage, flinch
    dive -- inflict confusion, slight damage boost
    fly -- chance to increase speed
    flash -- debilities foe's accuracy by 2x fold
    whirlpool -- boost in damage and accuracy

Years
    Hello, thanks for sharing OP.
    Never the biggest gen 5 fan but this rom hack has reignited my passion for B/W ^^

Was wondering if you know any working android emulators for this hack?

Sadly Drastic crashes when you're spotted by a trainer before battle. Will move to desmume on PC as suggested but I like to game on my phone 😅

Any advice in which emulator to use for Android would be lush x

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2024
    Getting the "xdelta3: unavailable secondary compressor: LZMA: XD3_INTERNAL" error using the tool you linked to. I tried applying the patch to the proper dump of the game, hash data below.
    Code:
        File: Pokemon - Black Version 2 (USA, Europe) (NDSi Enhanced).nds
      CRC-32: d4427fd1
         MD5: 4c65a32989c78b8070751765592b0ea6
       SHA-1: e51e6dfb8678a3d19dcd2a10691b96a569ca0abb
     SHA-256: 2e6b2415354aa41471bc7617068dce059a59931bf5c4348a264f8043f297683a
    I have also tried using a couple bad dumps (since some hackers still have a habit of using those) and the patch didn't work with those either. It appears that the patch was made for an already modified version of the original game.

Days
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Getting the "xdelta3: unavailable secondary compressor: LZMA: XD3_INTERNAL" error using the tool you linked to. I tried applying the patch to the proper dump of the game, hash data below.
    Code:
    I have also tried using a couple bad dumps (since some hackers still have a habit of using those) and the patch didn't work with those either. It appears that the patch was made for an already modified version of the original game.
    You have to patch a clean, unpatched version of Black 2. I'm not sire if by proper dump of the game you mean a dump for the clean version of the ROM. This is basically the OG version before even the Anti-Piracy (AP) patch was added or the EXP patches commonly found. My trouble is finding a clean version. Everything I've found that claims to be clean or unpatched still gives me these errors when patching:

xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT
    xdelta3: normally this indicates that the source file is incorrect
    xdelta3: please verify the source file with sha1sum or equivalent

Without a clean rom to patch I'm pretty stuck myself :(

EDIT: It still creates a file that's around 270mb but the game always crashes in the intro outside your house with the failed patched rom :(

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2024
    You have to patch a clean, unpatched version of Black 2. I'm not sire if by proper dump of the game you mean a dump for the clean version of the ROM. This is basically the OG version before even the Anti-Piracy (AP) patch was added or the EXP patches commonly found. My trouble is finding a clean version. Everything I've found that claims to be clean or unpatched still gives me these errors when patching:

xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT
    xdelta3: normally this indicates that the source file is incorrect
    xdelta3: please verify the source file with sha1sum or equivalent

Without a clean rom to patch I'm pretty stuck myself :(

EDIT: It still creates a file that's around 270mb but the game always crashes in the intro outside your house with the failed patched rom :(
    I know I have to patch a clean dump, I'm saying that the original vanilla ROM used for this patch isn't clean, meaning this patch won't work with the proper clean dump of the ROM, I was just stating that no matter what dump I used, genuinely proper and clean, or a known bad dump, nothing works. I will continue my efforts sourcing the right dump, but so far none of the known ones actually work with this.

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2024
    Sourced out the problem. The hacker in question used a version of xdelta UI that contained a different build of xdelta.exe than what it originally came with. They likely sourced this one from romhacking.net, long story short, someone uploaded a version that replaced the original with no indications of a new update other than the date of upload being updated. This build has some compatibility issues that cause even newer xdelta solutions to be unable to apply patches made from this exact build. I went out of my way to apply the patch with this build of the patching software, and have made a brand new patch that works with the modern solutions AND the original xdelta UI build.

The patch must be applied to the following ROM dump:
    Code:

Patch Download:
    https://mega.nz/folder/wFwxTK7Z#sRsoRoqA6ML3sHVDCdq6SQ

Patching Tools:
    Spoiler: xdelta UI (Windows)
    Spoiler: MultiPatch (MacOS)