• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon CRYSTAL KAIZO: The Official Sequel to Blue Kaizo

How Kaizo was this?

• Definately Kaizo

Votes: 173 57.5%
  • Fairly challenging

Votes: 48 15.9%
  • Entertaining

Votes: 38 12.6%
  • Should've put level 200+ enemies

Votes: 59 19.6%
  • Unfair

Votes: 33 11.0%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 9, 2019
No this game isn't even hard, it just sucks. How is it that my pidgey is a lvl 17 and hasn't evolved and Fuckner has a lvl 14 shiney pidgeotto. No, don't give me that it's meant to be hard bs. That's NOT HARD IT'S STUPID AND ILLOGICAL!!! Also my pidgey hasn't learned any moves since I caught it at level 5 wtf. Other than that it's an okay concept. But really annoying that the base evolutions aren't available for my Totodile of pidgey. It's just bullshit.

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2020
"How is it your pidgey is lvl 17, hasn't evolved, and Falkner with a lv14 shiney pidgeoot?"
Same reason as Falkner having a level 9 Pidgeotto in the original Pokemon GSC. Gamefreak thought it was okay.

Also, "this game isn't even hard?"

Heh.
Hahah.

Thought I already debunked that "constructive criticism" years ago.
Only things I'll add to that; there are a few youtubers who have cancelled Let's Plays because this game proved too difficult.
The latest of my hacks is proven to be harmful to the human body due to the amount of concentrated salt buildup. That hack may very arguably be the easiest of the trilogy.

Featuring GokeyGamer.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
Only things I'll add to that; there are a few youtubers who have cancelled Let's Plays because this game proved too difficult.
The latest of my hacks is proven to be harmful to the human body due to the amount of concentrated salt buildup. That hack may very arguably be the easiest of the trilogy.

You're saying that Emerald Kaizo was the easiest? Having played that, but not the other Kaizo ones, I can't say. However, Emerald Kaizo is brutally hard, and just as slow because there's a point where every single Magma/Aqua Grunt had full teams. Only major grinding session was before Lavaridge, the real time waster, for lack of a better term, were the long battles.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 16, 2021
I wonder if it is possible to get softlocked in this rom hack just from losing too many battles. The game is brutally difficult, and you will need to assemble specific teams just for 1 trainer. However, if you lose too many battles, your money will become almost 0 and will have no way of purchasing enough pokeballs to catch certain pokemon, nor enough healing items to get you through tough fight. There could be situations where a battle that you must win to progress is literally impossible because you don't have the team to win and have no healing items due do using them all.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
This hack is awesome! I played like 5-7 times and boy it gave me challenges worth remembering. Great work! 😀

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
Hope it's alright to bump, but I wanted to share this. I shared it elsewhere and got a good response to it, but originally when I put it on Youtube and shared it in 1 reddit post, I got 1 like and 22 dislikes. I guess people hate pure RNG, cheap and lucky. Or they hate Eminem. Currently it's 74:90, still more dislikes.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 27, 2022
SinisterHoodedFigure:

I dont know how much you still care about this, but I just beat this game and I wanted to give you my thoughts and maybe also some tips for others just discovering this game.

- overall, 10/10 hack for me. i love gsc and i feel like you brought out a lot of its potential.
- not kaizo enough on shift mode; had to play on set and also not allow myself to heal while in battle.
- would have been nice if the ai also couldn't heal.
- love the level of detail you put into this. examples: housing developments in kanto, crushed houses in cinnibar.
- some documentation on level up moves and bst changes would have been nice.
- i strongly believe hms shouldnt be mandadory beyond a certain point, even for kaizo games. but i forgive you.
- you managed to make a difficulty hack that still feels like it could be a main series game, so nice job.

for those interested, here's the team i used:

Spoiler:

some strategies i used (remember on set mode, you dont get a free switch after a ko):

- for the first shuckle, i had to fish for spdef drops and then pray suicune would hit surfs. definitely the hardest fight pre-red.
- once i got toxic and protect, i could beat shuckles very reliably by stalling its pp with gengar and suicune, then toxic stalling with umbreon.
- umbreon was my answer to pretty much every special attacker, including shf (shoulda made it poison type)
- explosion + espeed was my answer to mew and celebi
- other mons i used along the way: politoed, murkrow, raichu, typhlosion, piloswine

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
SinisterHoodedFigure:

I dont know how much you still care about this, but I just beat this game and I wanted to give you my thoughts and maybe also some tips for others just discovering this game.

- overall, 10/10 hack for me. i love gsc and i feel like you brought out a lot of its potential.
- not kaizo enough on shift mode; had to play on set and also not allow myself to heal while in battle.
- would have been nice if the ai also couldn't heal.

I always play Set and don't use healing items during battle, so I felt the maximum punishment with this hack. If I could do a free plug, streamer AspreyFM playing this hack for months, it inspired me to try it out. All of those streams are on his Asprey Archive Youtube channel. I felt confident after finishing the hack, making me more willing to play other brutally difficult hacks. I've played some of them before: Emerald Kaizo and Vega. I haven't played Blue Kaizo yet, but that's in the cards.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 1, 2020
hey Kaizo amazing games i started playing recently now on pokemon crystal before that i beat pokemon blue kaizo... need to ask your about TM 63 Shadow Claw in Pokemon Crystal kaizo i can't find it in its original location any idea ? or did you remove it?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
hey Kaizo amazing games i started playing recently now on pokemon crystal before that i beat pokemon blue kaizo... need to ask your about TM 63 Shadow Claw in Pokemon Crystal kaizo i can't find it in its original location any idea ? or did you remove it?

Shadow Claw was never in this game to begin with.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 9, 2021
Is crunch still an egg move for Growlithe or does it learn it by level up in the upper 40s? Is there a page that has all the Pokemon's level up moves so I don't need to keep leveling up my underpowered pre-evolution hoping that it learns something good?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
Is crunch still an egg move for Growlithe or does it learn it by level up in the upper 40s? Is there a page that has all the Pokemon's level up moves so I don't need to keep leveling up my underpowered pre-evolution hoping that it learns something good?

It should still be an egg move. I was able to breed Ancientpower to Larvitar, which can be done in the original game too.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Is there a way to play this with another language? (Only Pokemon and movesets. Conversations are ok in English)
Like patching the US version and than change all attack and pokemon names to (German in my case)?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 8, 2020
Hello,

First of all, thanks for the rom hack, it's brutal and I've loved this and Emerald Kaizo too. Thanks for all the effort doing this.

Quick question, I've already beat E4, so my question is, are the common gamesharks that can be used in the vanilla version enabled to this rom hack too?

Thanks for your time!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 30, 2020
Just recently started a play through and am really enjoying it so far. I thought it would be a good idea to try nuzlocking this game right off the bat, but that quickly led me to deciding to just do a regular playthrough, lol.

I do have one question, and maybe it was someone where in your posts but I tried to not get too much into the spoiler sections, but do all of the non evolving gen 2 mons that would later receive an evolution get a stat buff? I remember seeing that Gligar has Gliscor stats, I think Misdreavus has Mismagius stats, but is that also the case for Yanma, Murkrow, and Sneasel?

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2020
Learnset documentation would be a godsend, it's so weird going 10+ levels holding off evolution without any new moves!

I don't even mind not having pokemon locations since you have to stop and grind all the time anyway

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2020
Here's what I found catching Bulbasaur:

I found early that you can catch all three Johto starters on Route 46, where you could catch Spearow in original version. I spent some time grinding levels and catching all three, never saw a Kanto starter. I believe all that time spent was during daytime hours.

After seeing the Kanto starters in trainer battles, Dex gave their area as Route 46. I spent hours today ("working from home") trying to find a Bulbasaur with no luck. It was Night in game time and I saw all three Johto starters, Squirtle, and Charmander, but no Bublasaur all night. Once morning hit Bulbasaur was the second pokemon to spawn, caught it easily. Other Kanto starters also spawned.

I think the Kanto starters only spawn at night and morning, and Bulbasaur only in the morning. At least on Route 46.

Back