• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Fire Red Plus 2.01 [Completed until further notice]

Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2023
    Hello! This is my first post, as well as my first rom hack.

Introduction!
    This is my project for an improved version of Fire Red: Pokémon Fire Red Plus.
    The goal of this project is to improve and re-balance the game, without significantly altering the original experience or the original flavour of the Kanto remakes.
    This is my very first rom hacking project, and it's still a learning experience for me. I consider the game finished for the time being, but I still look forward to support and suggestions.

Major features and mechanics!
    Pokémon Fire Red Plus aims to improve the original experience while mantaining its flavour. If you're looking for a game that includes dozens of new and updated features, this might not be for you. That being said, several changes and updates to the formula have been implemented.
    Spoiler:

Other nifty features!
    Spoiler:

Helpful documentation can be found here.

DOWNLOAD LINK - v2.01
    The game is meant to be patched onto Fire Red 1.1 specifically!

Screenshots!
    Spoiler:

Credits:
    Pret - pokefirered disassembly
    Tezemi (pokefirered-updated) - move category icons
    ProfLeonDias - decapitalization for pokefirered
    Several helpful people and tutorials from PokéCommunity in general
    My friends for playtesting and continued development feedback

A huge shout-out has to go to my best friend, dr_krystal! Due to my complete lack of experience in coding and programming, they have been an incredible help in working with me to get this project going. None of this would be happening without them, and I consider them a creator of this project just as much as I am.
    Once again, this is our first project: be kind, but do let us know about problems you might encounter while playing or suggestions that you might have. Just have a fun time!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2023
    It's been a lot of fun rerunning through FireRed with the QoL improvements you and your team have made! It feels like a good balance of bringing a modern touch to the game while not overwhelming it with features to make it feel too removed from gen 3. Awesome and refreshing hack overall!

A few questions about Pokemon:
    1. According to the Pokedex, Girafarig seems unavailable in the game. Is it maybe obtainable by trade? The features technically don't guarantee all pokemon being available, but this is one of the only 'mons I haven't been able to find.
    2. I haven't been able to locate Suicune either. Is there anyway to get it?
    3. Is there any way to get the second fossil (the one that we don't pick up in Mt. Moon)?

There are a handful of signs/npcs that were game-breaking for me. I've only been playing on the My Boy emulator, so I'm not sure if these are emulator-specific:
    1. The lass to the left of the Pewter city gym runs the same script as the guide who takes you to the Pewter City gym. This happens even after you get the gym's badge, and it results in a softlock since she takes you into the trees to the left of the city.
    2. There's a sign in Green path (the patch of land above Six Island and before entering the Pattern Bush) that crashes the game if you interact with it. Since it's a sign, even just running into it will break the game.
    3. The sign at the entrance of Mt. Moon (the one closer to Pewter City and not Cerulean City) also crashes the game.

it'd be great to get answers/fixes for these if they're not emulator-specific issues, but great hack overall!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Will you add the pokemon following feature to the hack? Looking for something close enough to fire red with first 3 gens and following feature like radical red.

Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2023
    It's been a lot of fun rerunning through FireRed with the QoL improvements you and your team have made! It feels like a good balance of bringing a modern touch to the game while not overwhelming it with features to make it feel too removed from gen 3. Awesome and refreshing hack overall!

A few questions about Pokemon:
    1. According to the Pokedex, Girafarig seems unavailable in the game. Is it maybe obtainable by trade? The features technically don't guarantee all pokemon being available, but this is one of the only 'mons I haven't been able to find.
    2. I haven't been able to locate Suicune either. Is there anyway to get it?
    3. Is there any way to get the second fossil (the one that we don't pick up in Mt. Moon)?

There are a handful of signs/npcs that were game-breaking for me. I've only been playing on the My Boy emulator, so I'm not sure if these are emulator-specific:
    1. The lass to the left of the Pewter city gym runs the same script as the guide who takes you to the Pewter City gym. This happens even after you get the gym's badge, and it results in a softlock since she takes you into the trees to the left of the city.
    2. There's a sign in Green path (the patch of land above Six Island and before entering the Pattern Bush) that crashes the game if you interact with it. Since it's a sign, even just running into it will break the game.
    3. The sign at the entrance of Mt. Moon (the one closer to Pewter City and not Cerulean City) also crashes the game.

it'd be great to get answers/fixes for these if they're not emulator-specific issues, but great hack overall!

Suicune is a static encounter that triggers in the post-game, it is supposed to appear near Bill's house like in HG/SS.
    Girafarig and the Fossil Pokémon were planned to be available...it was a genuine oversight on my part to miss adding them.
    The NPC events crashing the game seem to be a consequence of an error in the map editor I've been using. I've encountered and fixed the ones I ran into while testing, but unfortunately it seems I missed some.
    I will soon release an update fixing these oversights! Thank you for playing the game, for your kind words and for your feedback! <3

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2023
    Suicune is a static encounter that triggers in the post-game, it is supposed to appear near Bill's house like in HG/SS.
    Girafarig and the Fossil Pokémon were planned to be available...it was a genuine oversight on my part to miss adding them.
    The NPC events crashing the game seem to be a consequence of an error in the map editor I've been using. I've encountered and fixed the ones I ran into while testing, but unfortunately it seems I missed some.
    I will soon release an update fixing these oversights! Thank you for playing the game, for your kind words and for your feedback! <3

Thanks for following up! I was able to find Suicune like moments after my previous post haha. Looking forward to seeing the next iteration of this, good luck :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2023
    Thanks for following up! I was able to find Suicune like moments after my previous post haha. Looking forward to seeing the next iteration of this, good luck :)

Version 2.01 has been released, with minor adjustments!
    - Kabuto and Omanyte are now rare Super Rod encounters in Seafoam Islands B4F.
    - Girafarig is now a common encounter in Ruin Valley.
    - Fixed several script errors.

Tunak23

Blurson Of the Shore
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Apparently I cannot use the regular Pokemon fire red charts for the game, not even the rare candy on PC ones.

Is cheating possible on your rom? If so, do you know codes that work?

Beyond that been enyojing the ride so far, good refurbished version of a great remake!

Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2023
    Apparently I cannot use the regular Pokemon fire red charts for the game, not even the rare candy on PC ones.

Is cheating possible on your rom? If so, do you know codes that work?

Beyond that been enyojing the ride so far, good refurbished version of a great remake!

That's odd. I've used that cheat myself and it worked, so I'm not sure what the problem would be there.

Still, thank you so much!

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    I need help. I tried patching the squirrels firered with the latest patch and it only gives me white screen when I play it. Using myboy btw.

Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2023
    I need help. I tried patching the squirrels firered with the latest patch and it only gives me white screen when I play it. Using myboy btw.

This is my bad for forgetting to specify it in the post. This game has to be patched onto Fire Red 1.1 specifically. I have now added this in the original post! Sorry!

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2022
    Version 2.01 has been released, with minor adjustments!
    - Kabuto and Omanyte are now rare Super Rod encounters in Seafoam Islands B4F.
    - Girafarig is now a common encounter in Ruin Valley.
    - Fixed several script errors.

Where can I find raikou and mew? Thats the last pokemons I haven't catched yet.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2024
    This looks amazing. Gonna start it immediately!

- During the main story, all the original Kanto Pokémon are available, as well as their cross-generational Johto evolutions and pre-evolutions. Of course, this means the game no longer prevents you from evolving Pokémon such as Golbat before the National Pokédex is obtained.
    - The locations and encounter rates of several Pokémon have been changed and improved.
    - The rest of the Johto Pokédex is available in the post-game portion of the Sevii Islands.

Are any Hoenn Pokemon available in this game?

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    This is a fantastic game but how do I get back to the Sevii Islands? I've done everything on there except from give the sapphire to Bill. When I go to the Vermillion harbour, I automatically face the npc but there's no text and then I go on to the SS Anne. There's no option to go back to the islands.

UPDATE: Fixed it. Just speak to Professor Oak in his lab.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2022
    Would you be willing to share the source code for this ROMhack? I love poking around in that stuff.

Back