• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Fluorite Version (8-13-15, Beta 3 Released!)

Should the player speak?

• Yes

Votes: 327 55.1%
  • Only during important events

Votes: 148 24.9%
  • No

Votes: 119 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

anaphysik

Wahahahahawntah~!
Years
    • Seen May 13, 2019
    By the way, I came up with a neat in-world idea for how to handle the Shelmet & Karrablast evolutions. It'd take a bit of dialogue to do properly, but I'd be willing to contribute that (I can't script or art, but I can at least write!), and it'd be a definite 'personal growth' method that's far more in-line with the general presentation of evolution in the games and shows, rather than the dumb trade method in the vanilla games. It would also be rather psychologically-oriented, which is a view of pokemon evolution heavily espoused by a pokefan whose ideas and writing I quite respect (see here for some posts on the topic, with regards to the original Indigo League episodes: http://pokemaniacal.tumblr.com/tagged/evolution) - with psychologically-induced evolution being an idea of his that I'm particularly enamoured with :).

Now for details:
    Essentially: Shelmet & Karrablast would need to meet a pair of mentors, martial artists who could show them that they have the true hearts of a ninja and a knight (respectively) deep inside them, and could encourage them to cast off prior crutches to embrace those buried strengths - and thus, evolve. (In particular, Shelmet needs to learn that its armour holds it back, and Karrablast needs to throw off its *desire* for that armour - after all, it's not the armour that makes one a Steel-type (as Shelmet shows), but the inner resolve that makes one /worthy/ of it.)

(Yes, there would be rousing speeches. /Slightly hammy/ rousing speeches - we are talking about a ninja and a knight here, after all!)

Both Shelmet and Karrablast would also need to be above a certain happiness threshold, which at minimum represents them trusting in their trainer enough to assent to their trainer's decision to introduce them to the mentors - overcoming the instinctual animosity between their species to give this 'mutual evolution' thing a shot. (Mind, I would recommend setting this threshold lower than the normal 220-for-happiness-evoltion, due to the additional requirement of needing to reach the mentors, and the implicit requirement of having to train two mons instead of one. Maybe ~150? (Partway between the base 70 and 220.)) Additionally, since it's extremely likely that the two mons would have been levelled up in the same party, this could also implicitly represent the gradual development in the relationship between the two mons, growing from natural hatred, to grudging cooperation, to friendly rivalry, to mutual respect - and through the advice of the mentors, to true camaraderie. (Technically, a lot of that could be a player's headcanon, but it sure is a sweet idea :P.)

(Obviously, wherever in the world you put this pair of mentors would also let you control at what point Accelgor & Escavalier first become available, which is pretty handy from a game design standpoint. Unless a particular town fits (or could do with fleshing out), you could consider putting the pair in a dojo in the wilderness, in a corner of some route for example.)

Essentially, it'd be a heartwarming tale of friendship and personal growth (you know, the kind of stuff that the Pokemon series is ostensibly about). Instead of an incredibly creepy 'Imma-steal-your-clothes' event that you force the mons into, which is what the vanilla method is (GREAT JOB GAME FREAK).

If this interests you, I can draft up some dialogue.
    If it doesn't, ...well, darn :P.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    By the way, I came up with a neat in-world idea for how to handle the Shelmet & Karrablast evolutions. It'd take a bit of dialogue to do properly, but I'd be willing to contribute that (I can't script or art, but I can at least write!), and it'd be a definite 'personal growth' method that's far more in-line with the general presentation of evolution in the games and shows, rather than the dumb trade method in the vanilla games. It would also be rather psychologically-oriented, which is a view of pokemon evolution heavily espoused by a pokefan whose ideas and writing I quite respect (see here for some posts on the topic, with regards to the original Indigo League episodes: http://pokemaniacal.tumblr.com/tagged/evolution) - with psychologically-induced evolution being an idea of his that I'm particularly enamoured with :).

Now for details:
    Essentially: Shelmet & Karrablast would need to meet a pair of mentors, martial artists who could show them that they have the true hearts of a ninja and a knight (respectively) deep inside them, and could encourage them to cast off prior crutches to embrace those buried strengths - and thus, evolve. (In particular, Shelmet needs to learn that its armour holds it back, and Karrablast needs to throw off its *desire* for that armour - after all, it's not the armour that makes one a Steel-type (as Shelmet shows), but the inner resolve that makes one /worthy/ of it.)

(Yes, there would be rousing speeches. /Slightly hammy/ rousing speeches - we are talking about a ninja and a knight here, after all!)

Both Shelmet and Karrablast would also need to be above a certain happiness threshold, which at minimum represents them trusting in their trainer enough to assent to their trainer's decision to introduce them to the mentors - overcoming the instinctual animosity between their species to give this 'mutual evolution' thing a shot. (Mind, I would recommend setting this threshold lower than the normal 220-for-happiness-evoltion, due to the additional requirement of needing to reach the mentors, and the implicit requirement of having to train two mons instead of one. Maybe ~150? (Partway between the base 70 and 220.)) Additionally, since it's extremely likely that the two mons would have been levelled up in the same party, this could also implicitly represent the gradual development in the relationship between the two mons, growing from natural hatred, to grudging cooperation, to friendly rivalry, to mutual respect - and through the advice of the mentors, to true camaraderie. (Technically, a lot of that could be a player's headcanon, but it sure is a sweet idea :P.)

(Obviously, wherever in the world you put this pair of mentors would also let you control at what point Accelgor & Escavalier first become available, which is pretty handy from a game design standpoint. Unless a particular town fits (or could do with fleshing out), you could consider putting the pair in a dojo in the wilderness, in a corner of some route for example.)

Essentially, it'd be a heartwarming tale of friendship and personal growth (you know, the kind of stuff that the Pokemon series is ostensibly about). Instead of an incredibly creepy 'Imma-steal-your-clothes' event that you force the mons into, which is what the vanilla method is (GREAT JOB GAME FREAK).

If this interests you, I can draft up some dialogue.
    If it doesn't, ...well, darn :P.

Well it seems great, but I don't think in the gen 3 games there's a happiness/trade evolution method (If there is, someone feel free to correct me). So that kinda ruins the whole thing, but I could just make the town far from where Karrablast/Shelmet so by the time they reach there, without fly, they'll probably have a high friendship, is that good enough?
    sorry I'm not too good at writing, I can't really write long stuff

Also, there's something I don't like about trade evos, and that's that it restricts you to only have one of that pokemon, which would suck if you realize that you got a bad nature or something.

anaphysik

Wahahahahawntah~!
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2019
    Well it seems great, but I don't think in the gen 3 games there's a happiness/trade evolution method (If there is, someone feel free to correct me). So that kinda ruins the whole thing, but I could just make the town far from where Karrablast/Shelmet so by the time they reach there, without fly, they'll probably have a high friendship, is that good enough?
    sorry I'm not too good at writing, I can't really write long stuff

Also, there's something I don't like about trade evos, and that's that it restricts you to only have one of that pokemon, which would suck if you realize that you got a bad nature or something.
    I was *definitely* not suggesting that it be internally handled like a trade-evolution - for starters, trading resets a mon to 70 friendship, which would completely ruin the point! Internally, I was imagining it working like a straightforward stone evolution (applied automagically after the 'mentorship' dialogue, first to the player's Shelmet, and then to the player's Karrablast (as Shelmet's armour does physically need to be shed first before Karrablast can put it on, obviously :P). I was thinking something more like a happiness check similar to how the Return/Frustration TM-gifters work, where you must show a Shelmet of sufficient happiness, and then a Karrablast of sufficient happiness, and then mentorship dialogue starts (or else the convo cancels if the checks fail).

Certainly, I did not mean to imply that there would be any actual trading in this arrangement! (Additionally, since it's not internally a trade, I don't see why they couldn't repeat the process if another pair of Shelmet/Karrablast are brought, just by having them loop the same dialogue/script.)

(You are right that in a pinch, you could /technically/ short-circuit the happiness checks by just relying on the player following the honor system - though that would mean not placing any Shelmet/Karrablast in the grass surrounding wherever the mentors are, which might be rather appropriate :/ .)

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I was *definitely* not suggesting that it be internally handled like a trade-evolution - for starters, trading resets a mon to 70 friendship, which would completely ruin the point! Internally, I was imagining it working like a straightforward stone evolution (applied automagically after the 'mentorship' dialogue, first to the player's Shelmet, and then to the player's Karrablast (as Shelmet's armour does physically need to be shed first before Karrablast can put it on, obviously :P). I was thinking something more like a happiness check similar to how the Return/Frustration TM-gifters work, where you must show a Shelmet of sufficient happiness, and then a Karrablast of sufficient happiness, and then mentorship dialogue starts (or else the convo cancels if the checks fail).

Certainly, I did not mean to imply that there would be any actual trading in this arrangement! (Additionally, since it's not internally a trade, I don't see why they couldn't repeat the process if another pair of Shelmet/Karrablast are brought, just by having them loop the same dialogue/script.)

Oh, that doesn't seem too hard. I'll take a look at it in a few days, since right now I'm bug fixing some stuff, scripting, adding cries and all that stuff. I'll PM you when I'm ready, if that's fine :D

anaphysik

Wahahahahawntah~!
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2019
    Heh, I just noticed that a Shelmet with the solidly-ok Shell Armor ability that evolves into Accelgor instead gets the supremely bad Sticky Hold - meanwhile, Karrablast-with-Shed-Skin get to take Shell Armor along with the actual evolution-inducing armor. I suggest that you change Accelgor's second ability to Shed Skin instead of Sticky Hold - this fits with Accelgor's 'wrapped in membranes' defense, and also reinforces the 'switched role' feature of the evolutions, as now certain Shelmet and Karrablast will swap abilities when they evolve together (i.e. Shelmet-with-Shell-Armor + Karrablast-with-Shed-Skin -> Accelgor-with-Shed-Skin + Escavalier-with-Shell-Armor).

(Honestly, I think that the [Shell Armor <-> Shed Skin] swap should really be the /only/ abilities that they have, to better fit with their switch in morphology upon evolution, but I also admit that this may not be backwards-compatible with beta 1, and is even further from the vanilla :/. Still, that way all Shelmet and Karrablast would exchange abilities as well as armor/form.)

(It does help that Shed Skin is a gen-3 ability, so at least there'd be no difficult coding in the change - I'm not sure whether or not you plan to include many (or any?) higher-gen abilities, though I remember that the Pancham in beta 1 had (for now?) Vital Spirit instead of either of its normal gen-4-introduced abilities.)

Last edited:

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Heh, I just noticed that a Shelmet with the solidly-ok Shell Armor ability that evolves into Accelgor instead gets the supremely bad Sticky Hold - meanwhile, Karrablast-with-Shed-Skin get to take Shell Armor along with the actual evolution-inducing armor. I suggest that you change Accelgor's second ability to Shed Skin instead of Sticky Hold - this fits with Accelgor's 'wrapped in membranes' defense, and also reinforces the 'switched role' feature of the evolutions, as now certain Shelmet and Karrablast will swap abilities when they evolve together (i.e. Shelmet-with-Shell-Armor + Karrablast-with-Shed-Skin -> Accelgor-with-Shed-Skin + Escavalier-with-Shell-Armor).

(Honestly, I think that the [Shell Armor <-> Shed Skin] swap should really be the /only/ abilities that they have, to better fit with their switch in morphology upon evolution, but I also admit that this may not be backwards-compatible with beta 1, and is even further from the vanilla :/. Still, that way all Shelmet and Karrablast would exchange abilities as well as armor/form.)

(It does help that Shed Skin is a gen-3 ability, so at least there'd be no difficult coding in the change - I'm not sure whether or not you plan to include many (or any?) higher-gen abilities, though I remember that the Pancham in beta 1 had (for now?) Vital Spirit instead of either of its normal gen-4-introduced abilities.)

Sticky Hold isn't too bad in my opinion, but I guess you are right, shed skin would be better. Just fixed that, gave it a 50-50 chance of having one or the other. As of now, there won't be any abilities from gen 4+ simply because I sadly don't know how to make them ;-;
    Sorry for not writing a long response to your long post, I'm not very good at writing. :/

BlackStorm20x

Content Creator
    Years
  • I like how there is HGSS music. But how did our mom get into Angel City without seeing us? I like the music, but not the hack so much right now. And if Angela was chosen by God, and praises him, why would the gym be dark? And it would make since for her to have Fairy Type Pokemon, since they could represent angels. So I think she should be switch with someone.

anaphysik

Wahahahahawntah~!
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2019
    And it would make since for her to have Fairy Type Pokemon, since they could represent angels. So I think she should be switch with someone.
    Because it's a funny "let there be light" reference; and in-world it could be seen as a deific manifestation with her as the conduit, similar to the miracles of saints. And because it actually cleverly ties in with the badge granting field-use of HM05 Flash.

Spoiler:

And it would make since for her to have Fairy Type Pokemon, since they could represent angels. So I think she should be switch with someone.
    Ehh, for starters faeries only appear as a syncretic element, from fusing native (in this case, mostly European) legends with introduced religious ideas (the resultant mixture of beliefs is typically termed a 'folk religion,' and is actually quite the important concept in ethnocultural studies), and NOT as some fundamental part of any of the Abrahamic mythologies; and secondly, even as a syncretic element, those faeries are almost always theologically considered *fallen* angels at best (and oftentimes simply demons).

Normal fits the best in terms of 'non-witchcraft-seeming' types, and also fits the 'blessed are the meek' statement in Christianity. (As to her specific mons: Chansey is probably the most nun-like pokemon, except for arguably Nidorina/Nidoqueen. And amusingly, Bidoof was humourously featured on a 'Pokemon Christian Playthrough' imagememe http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/2793093/Christian - also, bidoof is just a big, tough, fluff-tailed beaver; nothing magical about that.)

Maybe DarkSneasel can explain the choice more directly, but from a player-perspective it seems pretty reasonable to me (an amateur culture nerd).

Culture, Mythology, and Ethnography! The More You Know!(tm)

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I like how there is HGSS music. But how did our mom get into Angel City without seeing us? I like the music, but not the hack so much right now. And if Angela was chosen by God, and praises him, why would the gym be dark? And it would make since for her to have Fairy Type Pokemon, since they could represent angels. So I think she should be switch with someone.

To be honest, I agree, the beta I released wasn't very good XD
    Also, the mom got to Angel City without the player seeing her the same way the rival in RSE went from Rustboro to the route after Slateport without you seeing him/her :p
    Well, as for the gym thing, there's not much things you can do for gyms, and I can't make tiles, so I decided I would make it a dark cave just so I could add the let there be light refrence :D
    Also, I don't think fairies would be considered Christian, really...

Anyways, here'a little update. I got some more recent screenshots...

OMmCx.jpg

(That Shiny Zigzagoon was just luck :))

and here's something I did which I think is pretty cool :D

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • This hack looks good, however, I am going to let it mature before I play it, mature as in new tiles and sprites.

Years
  • This hack's features looks great! A contollable boat? So unique.

*Looks at the whole thread if my question has been questioned before, nah, I'm lazy xD* Is there gonna be new OWs?

Ttar0914

Years
  • This hack's features looks great! A contollable boat? So unique.

*Looks at the whole thread if my question has been questioned before, nah, I'm lazy xD* Is there gonna be new OWs?

Yes, there'll be new OW's for hero/heroine and the rivals. They're going to be added, but as for Beta 2, you'll still play as Brendan/May. New OW's have been planned for Beta 3.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • This hack looks good, however, I am going to let it mature before I play it, mature as in new tiles and sprites.

Hack takes place like 4 years after emerald so he wants to keep the tiles kinda the same but a little more updated and new building tiles that fit the emerald-styled maps.

BlazikenXY said:
    you can see a new OW in the trailer.. the gym leader's OW. so yeah i think he is planning to add a few. if you meant the hero and heroine then yeah he'll be doing those idk when though

Years
  • Hack takes place like 4 years after emerald so he wants to keep the tiles kinda the same but a little more updated and new building tiles that fit the emerald-styled maps.

Um... I think DarkBlazing Groudon said that(on spoiler) quote. xD

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted an update or anything, but if all goes well and no more bugs are found, I'll be releasing the second beta tomorrow. I'd also like to apoligize for the bad quality of the first beta, and if you played it, I'm sorry, and it's nothing like that anymore XD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back