• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Games for the Nintendo 3DS

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2021
    Greetings, folks. I've recently picked up Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX for the Nintendo Switch, and even though I've been a Pokémon fan since I was a child, I find it extremely embarrassing that it is my first ever Pokémon game.

And for a while, I've wanted to play the good old classics.

I have stumbled upon various old Pokémon games for the Nintendo 3DS, and my question is: Which Pokémon game should I first purchase for my Nintendo 3DS? Some people have said Pokémon Ruby is a good starter, others have said Pokémon Y. What do you think is a good Pokémon game to start off with on the Nintendo 3DS?

Years
  • Well, I'm probably not the person to counsel on this, since I just got back into Pokemon recently, but I got my first Pokemon game a few months ago, and it was Y. I really, really enjoyed it, and I got Ultra Moon from a friend, enjoyed that as well. I'm sure there are the Pokemon purebloods who will say "new games bad" but, just go with whatever you feel like I guess.

And, also, don't be embarrassed! From what I hear, the Mystery Dungeon games are amazing, and, admittedly, I'm desperate to get my hands on a copy myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2021
    Ultra Moon was also one of the highly recommended titles. I ask because maybe Pokémon X was a sequel to Pokémon Y. If the games are story-based, then I'd like to play them in the correct order. If not, then I just wanna know which one people like the most. Thanks for the feedback!

Years
  • Well, here's the thing. Pokemon games are weird in that they usually come out in pairs, (example, X and Y) meaning, the games in the pair basically the same game except for a few slight differences. (different Mascot Legendary you can catch in-game, other version exclusive pokemon, etc) Don't ask me why it's this way, I have no idea. Some generations have what are called updated re-releases, (example, Ultra Moon/Sun) which are, exactly what they sound like. Some generations even have updated remakes of a past generation. So, yeah, it's weird, it really doesn't matter what game you choose out of a pair.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2021
    Alright. Thank you for your clarification. So does that mean that Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! are the same, but with different mascots?
    Again, I'm a long-time Pokémon fan, but new to the gaming aspect of the franchise, so my knowledge is rather close to nonexistent at the moment.

Years
  • Well, those games, I really don't exactly know all about those two, but what I do know is they are probably made for babies, cause from what I hear, the Let's Go games are painfully, painfully easy. Also, your starter (Pikachu/Eevee) is a special "Partner" Pokemon, which means they cannot evolve, which is particularly frustrating in the case of Eevee. Yes, Eevee, the evolution Pokemon, cannot evolve.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2021
    Aww, man. I played the demo, and it seemed like fun. But I can't even get Eevee to evolve into a Jolteon? It's a 50/50 situation then.
    So Pokémon Ultra Moon and Pokémon Y are good games? I'll take a look, and hopefully, more people will come with recommendations on here. Thanks for the assistance!

Years
  • No problem! I thought about it though, and I thought I should mention that Ultra Sun/Moon, while not mind boggingly hard, are known to be some of, if not the hardest games in the series, especially in the early game. Again, the games are made with children in mind, so it's not that hard, but still, thought I should mention.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2021
    Lucky for me, I normally don't play games on easy mode. Complete a game once, and you'll master it easily. I probably wouldn't enjoy the games if they were easy, so a high difficulty suits me perfectly!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I've not really been a big fan of the most recent 3 generations myself, but what people find enjoyable and not enjoyable varies so....

Anyway, the 3DS also gives you access to the first two generations digitally via the eShop, as well as the gen 4 and 5 games, since the 3DS can play DS games. If you're interested in playing any of those too, I'd recommend skipping Gold/Silver, Diamond/Pearl, and Sun/Moon since those all have a 3rd version that's just a straight upgrade (Crystal, Platinum, and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon respectively), so there's not much reason to play the original pair.

Years
  • I wanted GBA games to be on there but nooooooooo we can't have nice things.

Apparently you could have 10 specific GBA games, but only if you were a "3DS Ambassador", whatever that means.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2021
    Alright. Thanks for the useful information, Nah!
    Can Crystal and Platinum still be purchased as physical games, or do I need to hunt down the ultimate collector?
    Thanks again!

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2021
    Unfortunately for me, I did not own a Game Boy Advance as a kid. Only Xbox 360, Playstation 2 and 3, Wii, and a Nintendo 3DS. But I reckon that they share the same games?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Alright. Thanks for the useful information, Nah!
    Can Crystal and Platinum still be purchased as physical games, or do I need to hunt down the ultimate collector?
    Thanks again!
    It would probably be very difficult to find a working physical copy of Crystal these days, and you'd need a Game Boy Color to play a physical copy too. Platinum you could still probably find a working physical copy, but sometimes older Pokemon games tend to be a little pricey.

Years
  • It's actually kind of like, really infuriating that Nintendo just usually refuses to rerelease a game until like 20 years later (unless it's a main title on the hit Nintendo home console the Wii U) unless it's a remake or something scummy like 3D All-Stars

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2021
    It would probably be very difficult to find a working physical copy of Crystal these days, and you'd need a Game Boy Color to play a physical copy too. Platinum you could still probably find a working physical copy, but sometimes older Pokemon games tend to be a little pricey.

That sucks. Since you're recommending them, I'll assume you've played them before. Are they worth the trouble?

Back