• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Games for the Nintendo 3DS

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    If the digital version of Crystal is really not an option for you, then I'd not bother with that one. I liked Crystal, but trying to get it physical is too much work, if even possible at all.

Platinum is good and you're more likely to find that, so it'd be worth a try trying to getting a copy, unless games are significantly scarcer in Denmark than in the U.S. May also have to pay a bit more for it too, it still can go for like 60 USD here.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2021
    If the digital version of Crystal is really not an option for you, then I'd not bother with that one. I liked Crystal, but trying to get it physical is too much work, if even possible at all.

Platinum is good and you're more likely to find that, so it'd be worth a try trying to getting a copy unless games are significantly scarcer in Denmark than in the U.S. May also have to pay a bit more for it too, it still can go for like 60 USD here.

If the digital version of Crystal is available on the 3DS' eShop, and if it's my only reasonable option, then I'll just grab that instead of spending a millennium finding a physical one.

I don't know if the physical version of Platinum is rare here in Denmark. I'll have to do some research to find out.

Squirtlenator

[color=#cecfc4]Hasta La Vista, Baby[/color]
    Years
  • Personally, I would stay away from any of the 3DS titles. If you're interested in getting back into the franchise or just starting out I personally would recommend either HGSS or B2W2 on the DS. IMHO, these titles are the best that the franchise has to offer.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2021
    Personally, I would stay away from any of the 3DS titles. If you're interested in getting back into the franchise or just starting out I personally would recommend either HGSS or B2W2 on the DS. IMHO, these titles are the best that the franchise has to offer.

Are there still any perfectly functioning Nintendo DS' nowadays?

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    The Nintendo DS titles can be played on the 3DS.

The Pokémon games come in pairs because one of the main features is trading with other people in order to get them all. Each version of a pair has exclusive Pokémon that can only be caught in it, so whenever you decide to get a game, compare the list of exclusives of the respective versions so that you get the version with the Pokémon that interest you the most.

If you're limited to the titles made exclusively for the 3DS, then I would recommend Pokémon X & Y, since they are the most traditional adventures for that system, and have a huge variety of Pokémon to catch. You even get offered a Kanto starter early on in the game.

Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon are the last games made for the 3DS but personally I can't recommend it due to the excessive amount of cutscenes and annoying features.

If you are an old-school fan and don't mind playing old games, then Pokémon Crystal (available on the eShop) is a great game to start with as well. Or try to find a copy of HeartGold & SoulSilver for an updated take on that game.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2021
    The Nintendo DS titles can be played on the 3DS.

The Pokémon games come in pairs because one of the main features is trading with other people in order to get them all. Each version of a pair has exclusive Pokémon that can only be caught in it, so whenever you decide to get a game, compare the list of exclusives of the respective versions so that you get the version with the Pokémon that interest you the most.

If you're limited to the titles made exclusively for the 3DS, then I would recommend Pokémon X & Y, since they are the most traditional adventures for that system, and have a huge variety of Pokémon to catch. You even get offered a Kanto starter early on in the game.

Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon are the last games made for the 3DS but personally, I can't recommend it due to the excessive amount of cutscenes and annoying features.

If you are an old-school fan and don't mind playing old games, then Pokémon Crystal (available on the eShop) is a great game to start with as well. Or try to find a copy of HeartGold & SoulSilver for an updated take on that game.

Thanks, Luso!

Do you happen to know if Pokémon Platinum is also on the eShop for the Nintendo 3DS? It's currently charging, so I can't check.

And also, if you've played Pokémon Platinum, would you recommend it? People have told me it's a good one.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    No, the Nintendo DS games are not available on the eShop. You'll have to get the cartridges.

I haven't played Platinum. Of that generation, I recommend HeartGold & SoulSilver, which are enhanced remakes of Gold & Silver and Crystal.

Squirtlenator

Years
  • If you're interested in the Sinnoh region games, play Platinum over Diamond and Pearl. Platinum offers a much better playing experience than the other two, IMO. When it comes to Pokemon games the third iteration is the better game i.e. Yellow > Red/Blue, Crystal > Gold/Silver, Emerald > Ruby/Sapphire, Platinum > Diamond/Pearl

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    If you're interested in the Sinnoh region games, play Platinum over Diamond and Pearl. Platinum offers a much better playing experience than the other two, IMO. When it comes to Pokemon games the third iteration is the better game i.e. Yellow > Red/Blue, Crystal > Gold/Silver, Emerald > Ruby/Sapphire, Platinum > Diamond/Pearl

Yellow is not a third iteration though. It's an anime tie-in based on the games. In the West we already got the third iteration in the 1st generation from the get go, since Red & Blue were based on the japanese Blue version.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2021
    If you're interested in the Sinnoh region games, play Platinum over Diamond and Pearl. Platinum offers a much better playing experience than the other two, IMO. When it comes to Pokemon games the third iteration is the better game i.e. Yellow > Red/Blue, Crystal > Gold/Silver, Emerald > Ruby/Sapphire, Platinum > Diamond/Pearl

Yellow is not a third iteration though. It's an anime tie-in based on the games. In the West, we already got the third iteration in the 1st generation from the get-go, since Red & Blue were based on the Japanese Blue version.

So many wonderful choices. I'll look into it. Thanks to both of you!

Squirtlenator

Years
  • Yellow is not a third iteration though. It's an anime tie-in based on the games. In the West we already got the third iteration in the 1st generation from the get go, since Red & Blue were based on the japanese Blue version.

In Japan they had four - red, blue, green, and yellow. Green was essentially broken. It was a glitchier, shoddier version of Pokémon Red, outright requiring Game Freak to develop Pokémon Blue to ensure the whole gimmick of the game worked. Naturally, Nintendo of America only localized the versions which worked. So in a way, Green can be discounted. In the West, Yellow was the third game to come out and yes, not a true iteration in the sense of the word, it is better than it's predecessors red/blue.

Last edited:
    Back