• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Kanto Black 2.08 (Sevii Islands Expansion)

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2023
    Been a little busy, but I have something to show :D

HKC1x3m.png

Sometime ago, I announced that Pokemon from other generations are going to be in Kanto Black. Of those Pokemon, all of the Alolan formes + some 7th gen legendaries + 7th gen starters have been added into the game. These Pokemon, for the most part, will be obtainable in the areas unique to Kanto Black i.e. Rainbow Island and the extra dungeon. They will probably constitute the bulk of the newer Pokemon to this update as I don't really want to add much more.

where is the egg shop again? im on four island and cant find it?

The egg shop replaces the daycare center in Four Island. Sorry for the super late response.

Last edited:

Zero-G

on the fly
    Years
  • Wonder Trades?
    Alolans?

HYPE. Looking forward. I used to complete Kanto Black before but with those changes I can't wait to go again.

Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2023
    Hey this is a really incredible romhack that I've had a ton of fun playing through. Just one issue though: where is Elgyem? The guide says rock tunnel, but the dex shows nothing nor can I find it in there. Could it have been accidentally removed from the wild at some point?

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2023
    QNXvm9p.png
    izzAv4V.png

Hey this is a really incredible romhack that I've had a ton of fun playing through. Just one issue though: where is Elgyem? The guide says rock tunnel, but the dex shows nothing nor can I find it in there. Could it have been accidentally removed from the wild at some point?

You should be able to get Elgyem with the Game Corner exchange services, but good catch! I guess I did unintentionally remove it from the wild. I'll add him back in the next version.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2020
    Hi there. I really like your hack idea, I feel like the black and white pokes really fit for the fire red setting. I did something similar with alolan pokemon with my hack.

I wanted to know if you could give me some insight in how you added new abilities to your game. I have tried looking through the ability resource thread but the whole thumb compiler thing is throwing me for a loop. I wanted to know if inserting asm routines is possible with say the pokemon scripting tool pksuv or whatever it is. I feel like if I can make the script into hex like that I could insert it into the rom, that's fine. But then how do you link the ability to the routine so you can select in in PGE?

Not looking for a complete tutorial just some insight if you would be able. Thanks alot.

If you were interested in my Sun Red hack its here:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=421907

Definitely not on the same level as yours though.

Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2023
    Ah, thanks for the help Mystery Man! I've come very close to obtaining all Pokemon, but I after searching the islands and rainbow twice I just can't find the stones for Umbreon and Leafeon. I really have no idea where else to look at this point.

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2023
    tBwpolT.png

Ah, thanks for the help Mystery Man! I've come very close to obtaining all Pokemon, but I after searching the islands and rainbow twice I just can't find the stones for Umbreon and Leafeon. I really have no idea where else to look at this point.

Umbreon - Altering Cave
    Leafeon - Three Isle Port (other side of the cave)

Since Eevee is handled pretty differently, it would probably be a good idea for me to document them in the Q&A. I shall get to doing that pretty soon.

Hi there. I really like your hack idea, I feel like the black and white pokes really fit for the fire red setting. I did something similar with alolan pokemon with my hack.

I wanted to know if you could give me some insight in how you added new abilities to your game. I have tried looking through the ability resource thread but the whole thumb compiler thing is throwing me for a loop. I wanted to know if inserting asm routines is possible with say the pokemon scripting tool pksuv or whatever it is. I feel like if I can make the script into hex like that I could insert it into the rom, that's fine. But then how do you link the ability to the routine so you can select in in PGE?

Not looking for a complete tutorial just some insight if you would be able. Thanks alot.

If you were interested in my Sun Red hack its here:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=421907

Definitely not on the same level as yours though.

Thank you!

If I were to guess, that probably won't work, but I don't really know.

I probably don't know what I am talking about, but from what I understand, abilities are deeper and perhaps more entangled in the battle system, making it not as straightforward to deal with as other things. I think it would be a good idea to get comfortable with a hex editor (I use HxD) and understand how pointers work.

As far as assembling routines, this is the tutorial I use: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=117917
    What I do is copy the code onto notepad, save it as an .asm file, and then drag it to thumb. From here, if there are no issues with the code itself, thumb should spit out a .bin file. I then open up the game and the .bin file with HxD, copy everything from the .bin file and paste write onto the ROM in free space. The last part of this would be making the battle engine recognize the code, and this is where pointers come in. The posts in the ability resource thread should tell you where to place the pointer at. What basically happens at this stage is you are making the battle engine branch to the code you inserted, kind of like using "call" or "goto" in scripting.

I hope this is helpful, and good luck on your hack. :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2020
    Oh ok interesting. That does help a bit. I am familiar with hex editing and pointers so I think I could try it. I would just need to familiarize myself with the thumb compiler.

I definitely know how to insert the hex into free space so that's also good. The only thing is, I take it that the pointers for the abilities are are provided in the resource thread right? Would that mean the pointers are placed in the script or the game code.

So say I put the script in a certain offset, say 7FBB00 or whatever. Then does the resource thread say where to place the pointer to that offset? Like where to place 00 BB 7F?

I hope that question make sense but either way I will try it. Thanks again, I really appreciate feedback.

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2023
    Oh ok interesting. That does help a bit. I am familiar with hex editing and pointers so I think I could try it. I would just need to familiarize myself with the thumb compiler.

I definitely know how to insert the hex into free space so that's also good. The only thing is, I take it that the pointers for the abilities are are provided in the resource thread right? Would that mean the pointers are placed in the script or the game code.

So say I put the script in a certain offset, say 7FBB00 or whatever. Then does the resource thread say where to place the pointer to that offset? Like where to place 00 BB 7F?

I hope that question make sense but either way I will try it. Thanks again, I really appreciate feedback.

Yeah, the resource should tell you what to overwrite so you can add the pointer to the battle engine code. Normally, the pointers are to be placed in game code, but sometimes, the script they provide has some areas you would need to fill in, normally denoted by something like 0xXXXXXX, where 0xXXXXXX is a pointer to something.

The general case is that the posts in the ability resource thread give you an address where you are supposed to overwrite a few bytes with something like 00 48 00 47 followed by a pointer to where you put the code. This is kind of like the call command in scripting, where we can see 00 48 00 47 as something like the call command, and the pointer corresponding to the address you want to call. So if you put the code in 7FBB00, you would overwrite the bytes at the address they give you with 00 48 00 47 01 BB 7F 08 (7FBB00 + 1 for thumb), for this case.

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2023
    Alright, so I fixed the mini-games and also took out the EV training versions of them. Not that they had issues I couldn't solve (I'm familiar with the minigames circumventing the EV limits, to which I would just have to write a check for it), but I felt that they were really impractical as an alternative to EV training and made the script even more annoying to deal with. I'll probably make EV training more straightforward in the next version to make up for this cut. :3

Having a blast rn, but I can't seem to find the exp. share, does anyone know where it is?

You should have gotten the Exp. Share from a scientist to the right exit of Pewter City after defeating Brock. It is sometimes the case for me that I have the Exp. Share equipped on a deposited Pokemon, which, before then, I would think I either lost the item or never obtained it. If you really never obtained it, I'll have to inspect the script again to see if there are any holes to it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2023
    You should have gotten the Exp. Share from a scientist to the right exit of Pewter City after defeating Brock. It is sometimes the case for me that I have the Exp. Share equipped on a deposited Pokemon, which, before then, I would think I either lost the item or never obtained it. If you really never obtained it, I'll have to inspect the script again to see if there are any holes to it.

Never mind, I found it lol. Thanks bro, keep up the good work!

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2023
    Hmmm... I haven't written extensively about the new additions and ideas in a while. Time to do that then.

As far as progress goes, along with fixing numerous issues, I have finished some of the previously unfinished features such as the berry juicer and the mini-games. The amount of Pokemon in the National Pokedex has been increased to 285, most of the new additions being 7th generation Pokemon (especially the Alolan formes). All of their data is complete--movesets, learnable TMs, stats, etc. All of them also have their proper cries with exception to Zeraora, Meltan, and Melmetal since I don't have them.

So yeah, I feel like I have made good progress overall. Three big events remain:
    1) Zygarde-cell quest. This will function similar to Oak's Aides in that you will receive special prizes after collecting certain amounts. I don't think anybody will be disappointed with prizes. I'll also say that nobody is going to be surprised by the final prize.
    2) postgame dungeon. I've finished a lot of maps for this dungeon, still have many more to go. I'd like to note that this dungeon will contain the newly added legendaries.
    3) new battle facility in Rainbow Island. I'm still drafting the idea as I'm working on the other two events.
    *) not as big, but worthy: new rush challenge--Final Rush (yeah yeah I know). This one will be unlocked after completing the postgame dungeon.

I wanted to mention a few ideas I will be scrapping because of their tedium:
    1) additional difficulty setting that would ban the player from using items during battle--this would simply be tedious and I would prefer not to be bothered with it. I additionally do not want to diminish the value of having completed the game in chaos already.
    2) (maybe) seasons. No, not like Black and White. What I was thinking of doing instead was providing graphical patches corresponding to the different seasons (see this post for a sketch). I'm just not sure whether to go through with this idea.
    3) I talked about this one before: EV training mini-games. They just added to the tedium and also seemed pretty impractical to me since nothing really beats normal EV training.

I feel like I had more to say, but such escapes me at the moment, perhaps due to feeling a little tired. Let me know what y'all think plz

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    The remaining events sounds exciting. As for the scrapped ideas, I'm perfectly fine with them. I normally play through pokemon games now without using items during battles, things like that where it can be player-controlled without having it be a setting in the game is good for me. I'm not fussed with seasons, but the optional patches is probably a good compromise. I certainly wouldn't spend much time on EV-training mini-games, I'd rather EV-training spots with trainers that have mons that offer their respective EVs.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2023
    Hello Mystery Man,

I have a question : Is there all the forms of Pumpkaboo, Flabébé, Deerling and Vivillon in the game ?

Thanks for this incredible hack-rom, it's wonderfull !

Burtle

Discord: Burtle#6904
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2019
    this hack is awesome! super excited for the battle facility improvement update! aren't you adding gen 7 pokemon, too? if so, right on!
    also I love how legendaries are implemented in wormholes
    i wish new maps could be added, but I know that isn't possible because I've tried
    well it's possible, but they can't have new map names
    i think what you did was the best possible method
    anyway, thanks for this awesome hack

Back