• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokémon: Kanto Reloaded (Now in Open Beta)

Years
  • nmyu4Bp.png

NOW IN OPEN BETA

Download Link (MediaFire) | Discord Server

Pokémon: Kanto Reloaded is a non-profit fan remake of the original Red/Blue (or more specifically FireRed/LeafGreen), created in Pokémon Essentials v20.1, with updated mechanics, extra maps, and a massively expanded roster of Pokémon, wrapped in a pseudo-random presentation to make no two playthroughs exactly the same.

If you've played a Kanto game before, it's a near-guarantee that you've faced down Brock with a Mankey and your starter, after wading through hordes of Caterpie and Weedle in Viridian Forest. Perhaps you chose Bulbasaur for the type advantage over the first three gyms. And you've definitely braced yourself for an onslaught of Zubat in Mt. Moon. That predictability is what Reloaded seeks to eliminate, instead presenting you with a game in which you'll never quite know what's around each corner - and in which every single playthrough is unique. You'll still get all that nostalgic Gen 1 goodness (in GBA graphics style), but you might run into Starly, Wurmple, and Weedle in the Forest, while another player is catching Pidgey, Blipbug, and Scatterbug, and while yet another sees Pikipek, Weedle, and Caterpie (and so on). Trainers and Gym Leaders are similarly randomized: any one of 18 different Leaders might call Pewter City their home!

Traditional randomizers are fun in their own right, but they often destroy the difficulty curve when you can pick up, for example, a Snorlax on Route 1. Here, you'll still go from catching birds and bugs early to encountering sea monsters late, preserving the game's natural arc. But rather than a set roster of Pokémon species available to you, the 'mons you come across will be a unique combination of creatures that fit each route. Each Reload aims to present you with a different experience while still retaining the feel and the spirit of the familiar game we all know and love.

Kanto Reloaded uses remixed/remastered music tracks. If you would prefer the original GBA & DS music, download this file and follow the instructions in the readme.

Features

Randomized wild Pokémon encounters in each playthrough!
    Essentially, each wild Pokémon "slot" features one Pokémon randomly selected from a set list, which is rolled upon starting a new game and then stays constant, resulting in quite literally millions of possible combinations while retaining the overall curve of the game. You'll always find a bird and a critter on Route 1, but which ones they'll be is anyone's guess. Every non-legendary Pokémon through Gen IX is potentially available, but only ~250 will be catchable in any one game.

(Semi-)Random trainers with (semi-)random teams!
    Trainers are no longer completely static, but will appear and disappear from routes based on a hidden variable that will change as you play the game. There is no VS Seeker or phone, so each can still only be challenged once, even if they appear to "reset," but the world will feel a bit more alive as they rotate in and out. In addition, each individual trainer will randomly choose their team from a hand-crafted set of Pokémon, no longer limited by region or generation.

Mystery Gyms and a new Elite Four!
    A grand total of 18 Gym Leaders are programmed into the game, one for each Pokémon type. Seven of these will be randomly selected to populate the first seven Gyms (Giovanni, for story purposes, will always be the 8th Leader - though he's been given a type-neutral team to compensate). To complement this, you'll face some combination of 8 different, custom Elite Four members, each of which follows a theme instead of a single type, so you'd better come prepared with a versatile team of your own! Each Leader will scale based on when they appear - Brock won't just be using Geodude and Onix if he's running Cinnabar Island - and all Gym Leaders, as well as your Rival, are subject to the same pseudo-random team selection as regular trainers.

A revamped Kanto with new areas to explore!
    All maps have been recreated from scratch; some have only minor variations from their official counterparts, but others have undergone major redesigns. In addition, expect to see a couple of completely new areas of Kanto along the way, including the snowy top of Mt. Moon and the swampy Fuschia Moor. The story has also been expanded upon: you'll take part in a series of events loosely following the canon of the Kanto region. Mewtwo has escaped from Team Rocket, and has a terrible plan to retaliate against his tormentors. A race between Oak, Giovanni, and Mewtwo to capture the three legendary birds ensues, and provides the backdrop for your journey through the region.

Following Pokémon, Gameplay Modes, and other QoL Adjustments!
    Your Pokémon will follow you around outside of its Pokéball, just like in HeartGold/SoulSilver. You'll also have the option to play in different modes, like Double Battles, Level Cap, and Limited (where you can only use as many Pokémon as your opponent). HMs are replaced with key items (with an unlockable Fast Travel system to replace Fly), TMs can be duplicated at PokéMarts, and breeding has been replaced with a much more accessible "cloning" system. This is all on top of multiple save files, a speed-up switch, and a whole host of other balance changes!

Additional Notes & Screenshots
    Spoiler: Features & Details

Spoiler: Behind-the-Scenes Randomizer Info

Spoiler: Beta Notes

Spoiler: Screenshots

What's included in the Beta?

The game is fully playable up through the 3rd Gym, plus a story segment after it, capped at the entrance to Lavender Town. There are currently only 6 Gym Leaders programmed in (Brock, Misty, Falkner, Erika, Bugsy, and Lt. Surge), but the randomizer will work on those six. More will be added as the Beta progresses. Other than minor details, such as item locations or Pokémon spawns, which are subject to change at any time, the game should essentially be in a finished state for every area you have access to. I plan on updating the game in play order, finishing each map and story beat in sequence, allowing saves to be continued seamlessly throughout the Beta.

Please note that I am currently the only one working on this project; I have a strong desire to see it through to completion, but it's a hobby I do in my free time, and it won't happen overnight.

To update the game: Simply extract (or copy/paste) the new download into the same directory as the original. Replace all files if asked. Your saved games are stored elsewhere, so they will not be overwritten.

If you are updating from the Alpha demo: DELETE YOUR ENTIRE KANTO RELOADED FOLDER BEFORE UPDATING. Then extract the new download as normal. As above, this will not affect your saved games.

Spoiler: Known Issues

Spoiler: Changelog

Spoiler: Credits

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2023
    Just play the alpha version, the idea of randomization is amazing, it's just, I don't feel so excited when a starly jumps out when it is supposed to be a pigeot, because so many other pokemon games have provided similar experiences.
    And, the idea of non-static trainers is a good point. Currently the in-game experience doesn't feel so much different, but this approach is definitely worth the effort.
    The plot seems to be great. I think if the main plot is very original, it would be more intriguing to design a new start for the game, eg. loading the game -> seeing Mewtwo escape -> picking up random pokemon -> fight against rocket team with Daisy ...

It's very fascinating to add a different taste to the originial red/blue game! As a player, I might be more interested if there are more fundamental changes that bring unique gaming experiences :)

Years
  • Just play the alpha version, the idea of randomization is amazing, it's just, I don't feel so excited when a starly jumps out when it is supposed to be a pigeot, because so many other pokemon games have provided similar experiences.
    And, the idea of non-static trainers is a good point. Currently the in-game experience doesn't feel so much different, but this approach is definitely worth the effort.
    The plot seems to be great. I think if the main plot is very original, it would be more intriguing to design a new start for the game, eg. loading the game -> seeing Mewtwo escape -> picking up random pokemon -> fight against rocket team with Daisy ...

It's very fascinating to add a different taste to the originial red/blue game! As a player, I might be more interested if there are more fundamental changes that bring unique gaming experiences :)

Appreciate the feedback, and overall I hear you. On the other hand, I really wanted to recapture the essence of the Gen 1, 2, and 3 Pokemon games. They're what I grew up on, and I miss them terribly (I'm really not a fan of the most recent games). But the more I replayed them, the more repetitive they became. Hence, this project. So I don't think I'll be deviating a whole lot from the games' original structure.

Years
  • KR v0.0.3 is out! Fixed some game-breaking map transition issues, opened up Route 3 (no Mt. Moon yet, though), and overhauled trainer randomization! Gym Leaders and some trainers with more complex teams are still randomized the original way, but the majority now utilize Kotaro's Random Trainer Teams plugin, making their teams more variable AND keeping them the same if you lose and re-challenge them.

In addition, trainers will now use Pokemon of random genders, something that's always bugged me about the official games.

If you're using a save file from v0.0.2, once you've beaten the Pewter Gym, make sure to talk to the Hiker standing in front of Route 3 (this will randomize the Pokemon slots that weren't included in the previous version).

Years
  • The release has been updated to v0.0.4!

I had been hoping to get Gym #2 finished for this version, but Routes 24/25 are going to be more involved than in the original games, so I decided to cut it in half and stop at the Rival battle in Cerulean instead. Cerulean itself is about 3/4 finished - one house and the bike shop are currently inaccessible.

As far as features go, I reorganized the bag to put Hold Items in their own pocket (getting rid of Mail), but note that this will unfortunately not affect any items you've previously received, if you're continuing a save. And that Blank CD from Pewter Cave now has a use inside the Pokémarts - you can use one to copy any TM you currently own (I wanted to strike a balance between single-use TMs and infinite-use TMs). Also re-coded the Oran Berry to be a little more effective beyond earlygame. Check the changelog for all the minor tweaks.

Finally, I want to highlight that your Rival has been given his own battle music, a remix from the wonderfully-talented Zame. I hope to ultimately use remixes/remasters for all the music in-game, though right now the new Rival battle theme will sound a little incongruous against the rest of the GBA music.

EDIT: I've just noticed the missing tile graphic above the entrance to Mt. Moon. Please pay it no mind.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Been almost a month since the last update; just want to confirm that I'm still working on this. Next update has a lot of little parts to it that are taking some time. Adding a new Gym Leader, a small new story section up on Cerulean Cape (which is requiring backsprites for all the Gym Leaders), 5 different versions of Cerulean Gym itself, and the modified Daycare on Route 5... it's adding up, even though it probably won't feel like a lot was added once it's released. But I am still plodding along.

gOdOi9L.png
    mJ36LCw.png

Years
  • What are the new shiny odds for this game? Can the starters be reset for?

Shiny odds were increased to 1/400. Starters can be reset for, though saving and reloading in the middle of the event where you receive your starter might screw up the following cutscene (should still play out unless I missed something, though).

Years
  • Update #0.1.0

All of Cerulean City is done! This update also includes the all-new Cerulean Cape area, Erika as a new Gym Leader possibility, and better-detailed 4th Gen backsprites for trainers (including custom Gym Leader backsprites!). You'll also see the first major story deviation when you enter Bill's Cottage.

Two minor notes:
    1) If you're continuing from a prior save, the scanner in the Cerulean Pokémon Center will not show the correct wild Pokémon in Cerulean Cape until you cross Nugget Bridge for the first time. After that, it will function correctly.
    2) Erika does not currently have a trainer backsprite. If she is your double battle partner, you will see Cheryl from DPPt instead, as a placeholder.

And one bug note: Bugsy currently uses Erika's sprite during the Pewter Cave event. Since this is purely graphical, I'm leaving it until the next update.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    In the new update - When you talk to the 1st box in Bills house, it changed my sprite from Male to the character Leaf - Female.

Years
  • In the new update - When you talk to the 1st box in Bills house, it changed my sprite from Male to the character Leaf - Female.

So yeah that was a debug event for my own use that I forgot to remove lol. Sincerest apologies but thank you for letting me know. Gonna update the download real quick to get rid of that.

Years
  • Version 0.1.1 is out, taking us into Vermilion City!

As usual, to update, just extract the zip to the same location as the previous version and you're good to go.

This one took a while due to real life getting busy on me (and the fact that it required a lot of new maps). The next update shouldn't take too long, but after that things might slow again. I'm going to be introducing gym puzzles beginning in Gym #3, which means a slight re-design of each gym for their Vermilion versions. That'll take a bit. In addition, I REALLY need to start working on movesets. Each time I add a route (and therefore, more wild Pokemon) to the game, I currently have to make sure each new Pokemon has access to the TMs and Move Tutors that are currently in-game (and vice versa when I add a new TM or Move Tutor). It will make my life significantly easier to get all the movesets and TM lists done and out of the way now. But hoo boy, that's a project.

Anyway, the only new feature of note is that using Rock Smash and Cut (or rather, their Key Item equivalents) now has a 20% chance to award you an item. Note that obstacles are permanently removed, though, so your chances at items are limited. Behind the scenes, I made the decision to split the three encounter tiles (tall grass, rocky ground, and shallow water) into separate encounter types, allowing me to combine them on routes and still only spawn water Pokemon on water tiles - you'll see this in action on Route 6, where two grass-types spawn exclusively in grass, and two water-types only in the water. Also, has anyone made the trade with the kid in Cerulean yet? It's a damn good deal!

Finally, for anyone curious enough to read it, I updated the changelog with a long list of everything that has changed - or will change - from the official games.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Version 0.1.1 is out, taking us into Vermilion City! Download HERE.

As usual, to update, just extract the zip to the same location as the previous version and you're good to go.

This one took a while due to real life getting busy on me (and the fact that it required a lot of new maps). The next update shouldn't take too long, but after that things might slow again. I'm going to be introducing gym puzzles beginning in Gym #3, which means a slight re-design of each gym for their Vermilion versions. That'll take a bit. In addition, I REALLY need to start working on movesets. Each time I add a route (and therefore, more wild Pokemon) to the game, I currently have to make sure each new Pokemon has access to the TMs and Move Tutors that are currently in-game (and vice versa when I add a new TM or Move Tutor). It will make my life significantly easier to get all the movesets and TM lists done and out of the way now. But hoo boy, that's a project.

Anyway, the only new feature of note is that using Rock Smash and Cut (or rather, their Key Item equivalents) now has a 20% chance to award you an item. Note that obstacles are permanently removed, though, so your chances at items are limited. Behind the scenes, I made the decision to split the three encounter tiles (tall grass, rocky ground, and shallow water) into separate encounter types, allowing me to combine them on routes and still only spawn water Pokemon on water tiles - you'll see this in action on Route 6, where two grass-types spawn exclusively in grass, and two water-types only in the water. Also, has anyone made the trade with the kid in Cerulean yet? It's a damn good deal!

Finally, for anyone curious enough to read it, I updated the changelog with a long list of everything that has changed - or will change - from the official games.

Thank you for keep working at this fangame 🙏👍🙇🏽

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2023
    I will see if I will play this game its just i am not really into that much randomized stuff its a little bit much for my taste

Days
    • Seen Jul 8, 2023
    I've tried downloading and playing the game twice, both times I got an error when I tried starting it saying I was missing game.ini or something like that.

Back