• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokémon Levels XY

Years
    It's obvious that Game Freak has been experimenting with the trainer, gym leader, and E4 pokémon levels in its games to try to find levels that are suitable for both beginners and veterans. I've listed out the pokémon games by levels - their lowest gym leader level and E4 Champion's highest level - below (NOTE: The last 8 badges of GSC or HGSS don't count here, only the main game):

Spoiler:

So my question is: how do you want them to manage levels in XY? Do you want higher levels than we've seen or even lower than we've seen? Or do you want them to make a new system of handling levels? suggestions would be nice.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I would like to have a choice between normal and hard mode right at the beginning, this way advanced players could take Hard mode to have a challenge.
    Nice post, and I think a easy mode would be good for very young players as well.

As for level boundaries, I would think something like this:

Easy level: (7 - 52)
    Normal level: (10 - 62)
    Hard level: (13 - 72)

Some good distinction between the levels would be appreciated.

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
    Years
    I've always thought that by the end of the game your Pokemon should be nearly capped out. It would make sense that the champion have 6 level 100 pokemon.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I've always thought that by the end of the game your Pokemon should be nearly capped out. It would make sense that the champion have 6 level 100 pokemon.
    Honestly I've never capped out my Pokemon before facing the champion. Usually they're in the 50's, 60's, or low 70's...so the champ having all 100's may be a little too tough for me and I'm sure others will agree. That all 100's should be saved for the fourth or so rematch against the champion, if not against a secret boss like Red and Steven (and even then Red who has the highest team only had his in the 80's).

blue

gucci
    Years
    As people have stated above I would love to have the option to set the difficulty at the beginning of the game, sort of like the Key System except you have access to it from the start.

In terms of levels I'd like something along the lines of:

Easy (8 - 48)
    Normal (10 - 59)
    Hard (13 - 70)

Years
    As people have stated above I would love to have the option to set the difficulty at the beginning of the game, sort of like the Key System except you have access to it from the start.

Easy (8 - 48)
    Normal (10 - 59)
    Hard (13 - 70)
    Those seem like good ranges.
    Now if they make something like Critical mode or Super hard I'll imagine the levels to be 13-85 (with steeper level climbs)

Name

Moémon Master
    Years
    I'm all about grinding and difficulty.
    I'm playing blaze black and I think the levels go form like 15-80 someodd
    This has made the entire game an uphill challenge that I've greatly enjoyed.
    I hope x/y are something like that.

WildEagle

Call me, Your Royal Freshness
    Years

Easy (8 - 48)
    Normal (10 - 59)
    Hard (13 - 70)

Then they can pull-off a Fire Emblem and add

Lunactic+ (20-90)

Now I wish pokemon x/y will actually have a Easy/Normal/Hard mode.

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2014
    Me I want something like this:

easy(10-50)
    normal(12-60)
    hard(16-85)

Oshamaru

Legs go, Megaman!
    Years
    Welp, everybody said about having difficulties to select from the start. I want that as well.
    It was a GREAT opportunity in B2W2, but the Key System ruined it.

The FE: A difficulty system seems great as well! as long as the enemy Pokemon don't have freaking Counter everywhere

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    I want an insane mode wheir you recieve your starter at like level 3.
    Gym leaders 1-4 will have 4 pokemon
    Leader 1(16-20)
    Leader 2(24-30)
    Leader 3(32-36)
    Leader 4 ( 38-43)

Then leaders 5-8 should have full teams
    Leader 5( 46-50)
    Leader 6( 51-56)
    Leader 7(56-60)
    Leader 8(60-65)

Then elite 4 ( 75-80)
    Then champion (85-90)

Then all gym rematches (90) once you fight them 3 different time (100) with rotating pokemon
    All elite 4 rematches (95)
    Then champion rematch (100) with rotating pokemon ( chosen at random) ( of his type of course, maybe he can have a total of 13 diffrent pokemon and he will randomly choose 6 to battle ) (same goes for gym leaders and elites 4))

Years
    I want an insane mode wheir you recieve your starter at like level 3.
    Gym leaders 1-4 will have 4 pokemon
    Leader 1(16-20)
    Leader 2(24-30)
    Leader 3(32-36)
    Leader 4 ( 38-43)

Then leaders 5-8 should have full teams
    Leader 5( 46-50)
    Leader 6( 51-56)
    Leader 7(56-60)
    Leader 8(60-65)

Then elite 4 ( 75-80)
    Then champion (85-90)

Then all gym rematches (90) once you fight them 3 different time (100) with rotating pokemon
    All elite 4 rematches (95)
    Then champion rematch (100) with rotating pokemon ( chosen at random) ( of his type of course, maybe he can have a total of 13 diffrent pokemon and he will randomly choose 6 to battle ) (same goes for gym leaders and elites 4))

They should make this mode post game for those who restart their games as it seems pretty tough.

Years
    I would love an Easy, Medium and Hard mode but that would mean hard coding 3 different games in one, if you understand what I mean: like they would have different levels, different moves (counter moved in Hard mode), different items, possibly evolved pokémon in Hard mode that weren't evolved in easy mode (due to higher levels), etc. I'd love it, but do they have enough time to do that?

I also have two systems in mind and a combination of both as well:

The Number-of-badges dependent system
    Spoiler:

The Player-Level dependent system
    Spoiler:

The Combined system
    Spoiler:

Also in DP both the 3rd and 4th leaders were Lv. 30. In FRLG, both the 5th and 6th leaders were Lv. 43. Do you like it when leaders have the same level as it gives you a choice in the order to fight them?

There was also a considerable jump from the 4th gym (Lv. 29) to the 5th and 6th (Lv.43) in FRLG. Do you want steep jumps like that again? I thought it was a surprising jump actually.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    There's one thing that throws a bit of a wrench into that algorithm.
    How is the highest level Pokemon decided? Is it based on the highest level Pokemon ever caught? The highest level Pokemon in the party? Can the level of traded Pokemon factor in? If so, what happens if someone trades themselves a level 99 Pokemon but have extremely low level Pokemon?

Would evolutions also occur if an enemy Pokemon is at, or above, the level to evolve?

Years
    There's one thing that throws a bit of a wrench into that algorithm.
    How is the highest level Pokemon decided? Is it based on the highest level Pokemon ever caught? The highest level Pokemon in the party? Can the level of traded Pokemon factor in? If so, what happens if someone trades themselves a level 99 Pokemon but have extremely low level Pokemon?

Would evolutions also occur if an enemy Pokemon is at, or above, the level to evolve?

The highest level is decided based on the highest level in the player's party at the time. If they have low levelled pokes and one really high levelled one that's their fault lol. It's meant to avoid me trading over high levelled pokes and sweeping gyms easily because of it. IF you have any suggestions on how to better it by all means tell me :)

The whole thing about evolutions occurring if they are higher levelled would also have to be addressed in easy-medium-hard mode. It all depends on GF though I'd like it if gym leader pokes that evolved by levelling up battled with their evolved forms (but should they know the same moves still?)

Last edited:
    Back