• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Mega Blue (Version 1.1.4)

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2021
    Hmm, it seems using save states around the battle frontier can absolutely completely kill your save, deleting all your items and key items (and well, I had no backups from before that it seems, F). Well, I got one gold at least with that cheese, guess it's comeuppance haha. (it's 100% consistent when attempting the cloning glitch btw, if that helps).

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2022
    Such an excellent ROM so far, for a more modern Kanto experience!

Bugs i found:
    . "Roost" move freezes the game (on VBA-M). 1.1.4 still has the move on Zatu...
    . Pinsir simply doesn't appear in the safari zone for me (plenty Scythers though) 🤔
    . about the bugged eevee situation- can still level eevee at daycare. Won't it be better to evolve gen2+ eeveelutions using STONES instead of the awkward blackbelt workaround?
    . quality-of-life request- PC item storage is very limited, especially with all the mega stones now available...

edit2:
    . Cleanse Tag does not work
    . Would be great if the VS seeker could be used in caves, victory road, Bug forest on island 6 etc. Lots of good trainers there (especially useful for training before the league on first playthrough).

edit3:
    . Do add Ether/Elixir/PPup in the Department Store if possible.
    . Net Ball/Nest Ball/ Dive Ball in Seven Island Pokemart?
    . Maybe Lostelle's dad should give a Lucky Egg instead of Moon Stone (idea from pokemon throwback hack).

also, can someone let me know what other FR hacks have gen 4+ evolutions (eevee, togekiss etc) while still only having the base pokemon from FR/LG. Thanks!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2022
    One question, do you have the TM X-Scizor in the game anywhere? I have a Leafeon I'd like to use in the league rematch, and X-Scizor would be great against Blue's Exeggutor and Alakazam.
    You can always use the occassional GameShark cheat to learn that one-off move. Works fine with this ROM!
    ps- leafeon is cool ;)

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2022
    Hi again,
    the ultimate move tutor doesn't seem to teach a blastoise (caught in altering cave) anything. Is the tutor also happiness dependent?

Also (maybe not a very appropriate question)- some popular cheats (PC item, hatch eggs fast) seem to not work with this hack, despite working with the Squirrels ROM. Any thoughts on why?

Thanks again!

Years
  • Can you bring the DexNav to the game ? That resource will make the pokémon hunt better !
    I am planning to include it if I remake Mega Blue from scratch.
    Is there a way I can switch abilities in this game?
    Nope :P
    Such an excellent ROM so far, for a more modern Kanto experience!

Bugs i found:
    *bunch of bug reports*
    Thanks a lot for bug reports, though I don't think I'll ever fix them in this version of the hack (I plan on remaking both my hacks from scratch, though not giving any promises 'cause I'm quite busy for now)
    Hi again,
    the ultimate move tutor doesn't seem to teach a blastoise (caught in altering cave) anything. Is the tutor also happiness dependent?
    Hmm, she shouldn't be, she taught my Blastoise Hydro Cannon... Thanks for the report, still.
    Also (maybe not a very appropriate question)- some popular cheats (PC item, hatch eggs fast) seem to not work with this hack, despite working with the Squirrels ROM. Any thoughts on why?

Thanks again!
    Honestly I have no idea, maybe I messed up something in the code, haha 😅

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2022
    Great job!!, serioulsy. I really wanted a Gen III game with only the pokemons of the region but with the modern features from CFRU and DPE. 🙂
    So, only one question. I know this hack don't have an increased difficulty but I want to know if the NPCs use the mega-evolutions against you, for example gym leaders or your rival in the final battle in the pokemon league. If not, do you know a way to add, for example, mega Blastoise into your rival's party in the final battle using a hacking tool for example? Can NPCs mega-evolved in battle?
    Many thanks in advanced

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2021
    Can someone look into why this doesn't work on an actual gba? I am planning on playing this on an actual gba but on the previous page someone else mentioned it didn't work on an actual gba. I know the OP has talked about remaking the game from scratch but is there a possibility he could perhaps do one last edit/fix so that this game is playable on an actual gba? That would be very nice so you can play this game on nostalgic old hardware :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2022
    Hi again :)
    I think I have found a problem when trying to load the rom already patch with mega blue (deluxe and classic) into G3T. In detail, it loads up a mess of information regarding the pokemon data. It shows different evolution on all pokemon (charizard evolved into venusour), it doesn't appear any new evo (ex togekiss or rhypeior) or mega evo (charizardX).
    Anyone does know something about this problem or how to fix this?
    Thanks in advanced :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    Hi. I'm having some trouble with Alolan forms. I am currently on One Island and whenever I give a Thunder Stone to my Pikachu or a Leaf Stone to my Exeggcute, nothing happens. I can't seem to be able to evolve them into their Alolan forms. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2022
    So, only one question. I know this hack don't have an increased difficulty but I want to know if the NPCs use the mega-evolutions against you, for example gym leaders or your rival in the final battle in the pokemon league. If not, do you know a way to add, for example, mega Blastoise into your rival's party in the final battle using a hacking tool for example? Can NPCs mega-evolved in battle?
    Many thanks in advanced
    YES, there are a bunch of surprising mega evos in game. Rival (all 3 starters), gym leaders in post-game, among others.
    (I think this is all imported from the ROMbase used, not added by Stiker).
    *edit- whoa stupid comment, why would I think it was part of the ROMbase !?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2022
    Hi. I'm having some trouble with Alolan forms. I am currently on One Island and whenever I give a Thunder Stone to my Pikachu or a Leaf Stone to my Exeggcute, nothing happens. I can't seem to be able to evolve them into their Alolan forms. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?
    Classic version I assume? Try after getting the national dex...

Years
  • Do you have a discord server?
    No, not yet anyway.
    Great job!!, serioulsy. I really wanted a Gen III game with only the pokemons of the region but with the modern features from CFRU and DPE. 🙂
    Many thanks in advanced
    Actually, I started working on this hack before CFRU was released, so all new features aren't coming from CFRU, but from an older (and more buggy) version of Leon's Rom Base. The main reason I want to remake Mega Blue is to build it using CFRU, and not an outdated rom base, which in turn will make the hack far more stable.
    As for NPC's Megas: your rival uses Mega Evolved starter in both main Champion battle and rematches, while Gym Leaders and the Elite Four also use Megas in rematches.
    Can someone look into why this doesn't work on an actual gba? I am planning on playing this on an actual gba but on the previous page someone else mentioned it didn't work on an actual gba. I know the OP has talked about remaking the game from scratch but is there a possibility he could perhaps do one last edit/fix so that this game is playable on an actual gba? That would be very nice so you can play this game on nostalgic old hardware :)
    I tried to fix that thing a dozen times, but with no success. I am not that experienced in rom hacking to understand what's the reason of this, so, unfortunately, my hands are tied.
    Hi again :)
    I think I have found a problem when trying to load the rom already patch with mega blue (deluxe and classic) into G3T. In detail, it loads up a mess of information regarding the pokemon data. It shows different evolution on all pokemon (charizard evolved into venusour), it doesn't appear any new evo (ex togekiss or rhypeior) or mega evo (charizardX).
    Anyone does know something about this problem or how to fix this?
    Thanks in advanced :)
    Of course it won't work, you need my custom .ini files for G3T to work properly with Mega Blue, as default .ini files are not compatible with the hack.
    This is actually a weird bug because it happens only to some players. I suggest trying evolving them in both Classic and Deluxe editions (you can transfer saves between them freely) on different emulators. If nothing works, inform me, maybe there's something wrong with the script that switches evolutions between Kantonian and Alolan Forms.
    YES, there are a bunch of surprising mega evos in game. Rival (all 3 starters), gym leaders in post-game, among others.
    (I think this is all imported from the ROMbase used, not added by Stiker).
    Hey, I added those all by myself :D
    Back when I added Megas that Rom Base didn't have any new slots and assets for new Pokémon and forms except of items and Mega Evolution mechanism itself, so I had to add new mons and forms manually.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2022
    Hey, I added those all by myself :D
    Back when I added Megas that Rom Base didn't have any new slots and assets for new Pokémon and forms except of items and Mega Evolution mechanism itself, so I had to add new mons and forms manually.
    Well hats off to you!

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2022
    Actually, I started working on this hack before CFRU was released, so all new features aren't coming from CFRU, but from an older (and more buggy) version of Leon's Rom Base. The main reason I want to remake Mega Blue is to build it using CFRU, and not an outdated rom base, which in turn will make the hack far more stable.
    As for NPC's Megas: your rival uses Mega Evolved starter in both main Champion battle and rematches, while Gym Leaders and the Elite Four also use Megas in rematches.

Of course it won't work, you need my custom .ini files for G3T to work properly with Mega Blue, as default .ini files are not compatible with the hack.

Thanks for the answers and then I really eager to have the pokemon mega blue newest version from the new Leon's rom base. Hope you can find the time to do so.
    Finally, regarding you custom .ini file for G3T. Is it possible for you to submit it to me or explain me how I can replicate or made that .ini file?? I only want it in order to increase the game difficulty and edit the TM List 🙂 (those were the main reasons for me to try to upload you rom into G3T tool in the first place). Obviously, I'm not going to distribute it or making some money from your work, I only want to add those thing into my gameplay and have fun.
    If it no possible, I understand anyway, but I really appreciate it if you can.
    Thanks in advanced!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Thanks for the answers and then I really eager to have the pokemon mega blue newest version from the new Leon's rom base. Hope you can find the time to do so.
    Finally, regarding you custom .ini file for G3T. Is it possible for you to submit it to me or explain me how I can replicate or made that .ini file?? I only want it in order to increase the game difficulty and edit the TM List 🙂 (those were the main reasons for me to try to upload you rom into G3T tool in the first place). Obviously, I'm not going to distribute it or making some money from your work, I only want to add those thing into my gameplay and have fun.
    If it no possible, I understand anyway, but I really appreciate it if you can.
    Thanks in advanced!
    I'll send you all the necessary files later, right when I'll get to my laptop.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2024
    Hey, for people who want to play the hack on a 3ds, it does work on the last version of mGBA (0.9.1 at the time this post is being written), but still doesn't work on 3DS VC. Other than that nice game man.

Years
    • Seen Jul 21, 2021
    So I've been playing the game for a few months now, and it's really good, bit there are some bugs that I've seen other than the ones you already mentioned.

- For some reason every time I go to one of the Sevii Islands after getting the National Dex, a glitched Pokemon gets automatically registered in it.
    - Ho-oh and Lugia don't appear at Navel Rock.
    - When you check your Pokedex in front of the signs of the Pokemon pens in Fuchsia City you get trapped inside of the pens.

This is one of the best ROM hacks I've played so I really hope these bugs get fixed.

Back