• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon, now in Chinese language!

audinowho

Unovan Indeedee
Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    The aforementioned petition (scroll down for some sweet artwork and photos):
    https://makeawish.52poke.net/en

Also, logo:
    Pokémon, now in Chinese language!

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    My friend from Hong Kong was so excited by this news; it may seem not so major to people in a similar situation as me, not having any reason to use a Chinese language option, but this really is a big deal. This is gonna sound really cliché, but it's the truth: the more places Pokémon can reach out to, the more connected we can all become. I'm looking forward to seeing Pokémon branch out even further into the future!

And also, those logos posted by audinowho above are awesome.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • It doesn't affect me anyway, but anytime a franchise decides to do this is a huge plus and a step forward for any industry. Anything that can reach more people, especially with what's already a globe-spanning franchise, and bring in more fans -specifically across cultural boundaries- well, it's great to see companies do it.

Now, I just hope that doesn't become the main marketed feature of the games.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • If I'm not mistaken, the simplified script was introduced by the Communist Party under Mao to improve literacy in mainland China. Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan were unaffected and continued to use the traditional script. The simplified script wasn't opened up to overseas Chinese communities until many years later.

Today, Singapore and Malaysia teach exclusively using the simplified script (apart from calligraphy classes, because traditional characters look MUCH nicer when displayed) Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau are still actively using traditional. Could it be a political reason? Maybe, but I can't say for sure.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • I'm really excited by this, much like a lot of you! It doesn't affect me in the slightest but I always think it's a great step when a franchise tries to reach new people and make their products/games/whatever more accessible for more people, and I think this is another great step on the road to making Pokemon more accessible for more people around the world. 8)

IAmVincentLiu

Poké Fan
    Years
  • If I'm not mistaken, the simplified script was introduced by the Communist Party under Mao to improve literacy in mainland China. Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan were unaffected and continued to use the traditional script. The simplified script wasn't opened up to overseas Chinese communities until many years later.

Today, Singapore and Malaysia teach exclusively using the simplified script (apart from calligraphy classes, because traditional characters look MUCH nicer when displayed) Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau are still actively using traditional. Could it be a political reason? Maybe, but I can't say for sure.

Very late response, people just don't wish to change their script if they're not forced to. Also, the script wasn't "opened up", rather some places just adopted it to improve trade communications with China

Back