• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon OceanBlue (working title)

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2008
    Ok, so, I've decided to work on a Pokémon game after finding Pokémon Essentials. I find it is the best of the starter kits. I would like to start out by saying that I am using RPG Maker XP for this. I would also like to say that, I am unsure of how the rules work...I read them 3 times...but I still didn't quite understand them, so if I am breaking any rules with this thread, please let me know and I will edit as soon as possible (hopefully within 24 hours of being told).

First of all, I saw the rules said to "introduce my game" and I'm not exactly sure how to do that...I understand plot and introduction are different...I'm just not sure how... Perhaps this will help, though: The game is going to revolve around 3 sections: Hoenn, Johto, and Kanto. I plan to have all 3 regions in it (if I can) and to also add some custom things in, like perhaps custom pokemon, definitely a few new trainers, and even a smaller region for catching legendaries. The main idea, however, is to have each legendary a part of a "special event" in which you may or may not catch the pokemon (it is the player's choice). Also, I plan for all 350 (that's right, right?) Pokemon to be catchable (that is a word right? >>;; ) in the game.

The main plot is that your character is from either the Hoenn region, Johto region, or Kanto region. You are a first time trainer and have just left home with your pokemon at your side. It basically has a similar plot to all the other games, collect 8 badges, fight the Elite Four, and so on, but throughout the game small "special events" will pop up that you will be able to do. Such as perhaps you have to save Goldenrod City from a rampaging Mewtwo or something...I don't have much in the way of those ideas yet.

The plot will take you over Johto, Kanto, and Hoenn as you work to become a Pokemon Master. At the end, a new area will open, allowing you to collect the last few pokemon (a legendary or two, I'm certain), along with giving you a side plot or two as well. I'm sorry of this plot summary is too short...but that's about all I know...I've put a lot of thought into this, but I'm really bad at taking information from my mind and writing it out on paper...at least in summaries and so forth.

I currently don't have any screenshots, but if it is required, I can grab a few...though nothing is currently set up, yet (by that I mean I have no characters, item balls, etc, just maps made.) I am needing the most help in animations, character sets, music, and trainer graphics. I am doing fine mapping on my own at this time, so I currently don't need any help with that...

Lastly, I do, again, apologize if I am breaking any of the game development rules...I have tried to follow them the best I know how at this time, but if I need to edit, please let me know and I will try again. If I need screenshots, I will post them up (though the rules said only needed in the Games Showcase forum). If I can get just a few people to help me out, I can develop more to show everyone. I really hope for this game to work out, as none of my others have due to a lack of help...

Aqua Mudkip

LOL I'm okay!
    Years
    Aqua Mudkip: Sorry but someone already took the name in 2005. Your not breaking any rules so far which is a good thing and, if you have trouble with that rampaging Mewtwo part, probably you could ask someone to help.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2008
    Yeah, I kind of figured...that's why I said working title...The only other idea I had was "Pokémon Legends" which doesn't work...so...I'm still thinking of a title.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2008
    I guess I could also go with something that isn't a color...it seems 90% of the games are colors...this also isn't really a remake of Pokemon Blue, so it would make sense to go with something other then a "blue" of some kind...I dunno...

Years
    Actually, it doesn't really matter if you want the name to OceanBlue. You can have it if you want it. It is only a fangame afterall, no one can hold copywrite over Nintendo intellectual property except the company themselves.

Anyway, having four regions in your fangame is quite an ambitious project. I can see how it is going to be somewhat easier to accomplish, with the StarterKit and all, but you chould really only stick to one area, mainly a custom region (because, no offense or anything, but the official regions are getting kind of old in fangames). Another thing you might want to do is make an actual storyline, rather than just collecting badges with some special events. It will add more depth, and more involvement into the game.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2008
    Yeah...I'd love to make an actual storyline for the game...but I'm unsure as of how to do that with the Pokemon essentials starter kit. If someone could help me out, though, I would love to make a game with an actual storyline. I have some ideas, but just don't know how to work the system to do it...cause it requires 2 shiny pokemon, certain pokemon needing certain moves, and so forth.

Back