• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Hey Rangi,

Have you thought about implementing/allowing Ubers in the Battle Tower? In most games the Ubers come at the end of the game and you don't get to use them very often. It would be neat to allow Ubers in the battle tower so they can be played with more than in past games. Maybe allow one Uber per party and allow the AI to use them as well?

Battle Tower allows "ubers" at level 80 and onwards. Not sure if it has uber sets for the opponents.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Since there's no 510 EV limit, I don't need the EV-reducing Berries after all. So I'll be adding these:

VAabjuS.png

Is it okay to ask if someone can compile the current github version for me? I don't have the means to do it myself right now, and I'd like to try the things that can be seen if you compile it now.

I'll send you the beta patch.

Hey Rangi,

Have you thought about implementing/allowing Ubers in the Battle Tower? In most games the Ubers come at the end of the game and you don't get to use them very often. It would be neat to allow Ubers in the battle tower so they can be played with more than in past games. Maybe allow one Uber per party and allow the AI to use them as well?

The AI teams haven't been updated yet. I won't be giving them legendaries.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    I'd love to beta test, but I simply don't have the time to bugtest and comb through another game, so I'll wait with bated breath for the full 3.0 release. Thanks to Rangi and everyone helping out, I'm sure it's gonna be great. :D

Ruvaldak

I'M NOT YELLING, I'M JUST PUTTING MAJOR EMPHASIS O
    Years
  • Woooh boy, so 3.0 is almost done, eh? Can't wait to play it. I'm currently waiting for July 1st to roll around so I can play a new Skyrim mod that ive been following for a while.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2017
    So I'm a little further in the game (Goldenrod) and I have a few things to say.
    1) Sometimes trainer's pokemon run out of PP for their rollout attack after only one use or two. The first time it happened was with Lyra's Marill after I switched out my Zubat for my Jigglypuff, so I thought that switching out was the cause but another trainer could use rollout on me normally after I switched out my pokemon. And I had another trainer run out of rollout PPs after only one use while I didn't switch, since I K.Oed his pokemon the following turn with the one I had out. So it really seems that some trainer have pokemon with only 1/2 pp on their rollout attacks...
    2) I think that the bike is too slow...Well it feels slow to me (at least slower than running) even with the fast forward on...Would it be possible to accelerate bike speed?
    3) Is shiny Ditto breeding still a thing in Polished Crystal ? If not due to the new way shininess is determined, why not replace the shiny Ditto that was given to us by Mister Pokemon for one with 6 max DVs for DV breeding with a destiny knot?
    4) Talking about DV breeding is it possible to breed related pokemon in Polished Crystal ? Because in vanilla gen 2 it's impossible and it makes DV breeding troublesome since we can't just replace the pokemon in the daycare with it's higher DVs daughter/son...I would prefer if it worked like in gen 3+ if possible...
    5) I think it ould be cool of there was some sort of Masuda Method for shiny breeding in Polished Crystal. The problem is that I don't know how it would work since foreign pokemon are impossible...

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    There is a shiny Ditto in the egg list with Imposter, Quirky nature and 15/15/15/15/15/15. That might be the one you are given? If so, the IVs are clearly perfect already. :)

Good point regarding the inbreeding check, I think I forgot to disable it.

The Masuda method triggers for traded mons, including from Wonder Trade, giving you a 6/4096 chance of a shiny (8/4096 if combined with Shiny Charm).

Another thing you might wish to know. Since due to how ability inheritance works (you inherit from mother or non-ditto 80% of the time) you would end up with a 1% chance to get a hidden ability from a non-HA (20% to not inherit, then Polished Crystal's 5% HA chance generally). To make it easier to get HAs, a new "breeding item" feature was added -- if one of your parents hold an Ability Capsule, the baby has a 25% chance of getting its Hidden Ability. If both do, this chance is 50%. Aside from that, breeding works pretty similar as in generation VII, here are exact details:
    * 3 DVs are inherited from parents at random
    * 5 DVs if your parents have a Destiny Knot
    * Nature is random unless a parent holds an Everstone, then that one is inherited. If both do, Nature is inherited at random
    * EV-enhancing items (Power Weight, etc) gurantees inheriting one of the DVs from that parent. If both parents hold the same one, the DV is inherited at random
    * Ability is inherited 80% of the time from the mother or non-Ditto. If a parent holds an Ability Capsule, the baby gets the HA 25% of the time. If both parents do, the baby gets the HA 50% of the time.
    * Ball is inherited from the mother or non-Ditto. If both parents are the same species, Ball is inherited at random. Unlike in vanilla gen VII, master balls can be inherited
    * Form is inherited the same way as Balls (matters for Magikarp and Arbok, Unown can't breed)
    * Egg moves can be inherited from both parents
    * Shiny rate is the same as wild (1/4096 or 3/4096 with Shiny Charm) unless the parents are of different OTID in which the Shiny rate is boosted by +5/4096 to 6/4096 or 8/4096 with Shiny Charm

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2017
    Rangi, can I have the opportunity to have the beta patch AND make a youtube series of your rom? I'm fine if you refuse my request

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Rangi, can I have the opportunity to have the beta patch AND make a youtube series of your rom? I'm fine if you refuse my request

I've sent you the beta patch. And you don't need my permission to record it, but thanks for asking, and I'm totally okay with you doing a YouTube series. If you do, please post a link here. :)

Brook128

RNG Manipulator
    Years
  • Hello Rangi, FIQ and everyone that helps with this Polished Crystal project. I have been accompanying this thread for some time, but only now I could find the time to sign up (I'm a researcher, on a brief vacation). I'm taking this opportunity to express how thankful and joyed I am for all your efforts in this rom hack. Not only it is wonderfully well-crafted, as it is beautiful, fun and pouring with an identity of its own. It's all thanks to your continuous dedication, which I'm certain will keep this hack truly a polished game! As a fan of 2nd Gen lore, and even its system, I appreciate to see it taken into another level.

That said, I don't know if I could be of any help, but I'd like to try and play the beta patch. If possible, I'd like to know any other ways to make inputs on the game, if not here...

Ruvaldak

I'M NOT YELLING, I'M JUST PUTTING MAJOR EMPHASIS O
    Years
  • Rangi, if I compile the GitHub source, will it be the same as this "beta" patch, or what? What's the beta patch missing, in terms of the final product?

Last edited:

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Rangi, if I compile the GitHub source, will it be the same as this "beta" patch, or what? What's the beta patch missing, in terms of the final product?

Yes, it is the same. The TODO file list what is yet to be done.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2017
    Is it normal for the sailor in Olivine's Cafe to not give me the Strenght HM? He just says that the food here makes him stronger...Do I have to do something else first in game?

Back