• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2024
    Non Nuzlocke run, happened in the morning: Odd Egg hatched into a Pichu, except that its sprite is a corruoted, light blue-ish Arbok.

Also, I headed east of Olivine and somehow managed to make the game not load Route 35 Coast. Currently trying to recreate tbis glitch.

Question: is the girl blocking the Goldenrod gym entrance *after* beating Whitney meant to be there? She appears only when reaching Goldenrod from Route 34 and disappears when entering any warp tile.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Non Nuzlocke run, happened in the morning: Odd Egg hatched into a Pichu, except that its sprite is a corruoted, light blue-ish Arbok.

Also, I headed east of Olivine and somehow managed to make the game not load Route 35 Coast. Currently trying to recreate tbis glitch.

Question: is the girl blocking the Goldenrod gym entrance *after* beating Whitney meant to be there? She appears only when reaching Goldenrod from Route 34 and disappears when entering any warp tile.

Fixed both of these, thanks!

Blue is Pi(ka)chu's new shiny color now that DV-based color variation makes "slightly different yellow" pointless.

z17kx6A.png

After Whitney returns to the Gym, the Lass is supposed to be here:

0XlRhkz.png

Hey Rangi, this might sound silly, but have you thought of something like a Magikarp Dex akin to the Unown Dex? Or maybe the Magikarp guy at Lake of Rage can give you points/prizes depending on how many different kinds of Magikarp you show him?

Definitely thinking about it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2017
    Is there a fix date for the 3.0 lauch? When it launches, can you make a list of all of the type changes in the Faithful rom Rangi?

BronzeSwagger

Sugar&Spice
    Years
  • Coincidentally Rangi, after seeing the blue Pichu, would it be a bother if I asked about if you had any interest in adding a Crystal Onix in the game?

I was thinking maybe if you recolored Onix's "ugly" green shiny sprite then you could do the Crystal Onix that way. You could also generally make a Crystal Steelix sprite if you wanted to as well. That way if a person wanted to evolve Crystal Onix they could.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Polished Crystal has semi-proper Forme support already (it alters the sprite, not stats/etc though) which would be a better way to do Crystal Onix. It's up to Rangi on whether or not to do Crystal Onix though...

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2022

As seen in the thumbnail, Crystal Onix already is the shiny palette, and this is still the case in the latest build.
    Shiny Steelix however is still the same.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2024
    Weird instance with the Stats Judge (in regards to a Harvest Exeggcute): sometimes he'll state that a mon is "decent overall"; however, he won't comment on any of the stats and then say that the stats "simply can't be beaten". This doesn't happen with any other mon.
    edit4: same thing happens with a No Guard Machop. Unlike the Harvest Exeggcute, this mon has no DVs whatsoever. They're different natured, have been caught with the same ball type (Great Ball).

edit(1&3): Anger Point and Run Away activate even after the mon with the ability is knocked out. I've never played any gens past the second one so I'm not sure whether they're meant to work like that or not. I'm aware that abilities still need to be "turned on" after a mon gets KO'd (or, at least, Aftermath does); my point is an activation message for an ability that clearly can't be used is ultimately... unnecessary?

edit2: Abra's Teleport occasionally fails. Also, mons automatically use Struggle right after Pursuit's effect activates (read: a switch is in order --> foe's Pursuit hits before the mon is switched out --> another mon is switched in --> foe uses Struggle and hits --> battle resumes as usual).

Last edited:

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Interesting bug with Pursuit. Going to look into it. However, Teleport failing is intended. The reason it always work in vanilla GSC is actually a bug which I addressed.
    Run Away activation is a bug (it actually worked like that in 3-4gen but not in 5gen+). I'll look into Anger Point and some other potentially related stuff (I think Weakness Policy does the same thing at the moment).

EDIT: Turns out that while Teleport was buggy in GSC from the intended behaviour, it changed anyway in later generations, so I might as well address it.

EDIT2: I'm not able to verify a source on how 5gen+ Run Away works in regards to running after a fainting. Can anyone confirm?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2024
    ?Another bug: colors remain inverted after (successfully) using Dynamic Punch. Colors go back to normal after: a. acknowledging that the move was/wasn't effective, or b. using the move again.

edit: Shellder's Skill Link "misses" (breaks) immediately after Tauros' Anger Point activates. Also, Anger Point keeps activating (and, ergo, breaking Skill Link) even though Attack has already been maxed out.

Edit2: ending an initiated call semi-freezes the screen; pressing the up or down buttons prompts the "Orange region" location list (as if I was in the dex) while stuck in the phone contacts list. Not surr if relevany but the number of contacts is 18.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2022
    The DynamicPunch glitch also happens with Selfdestruct, Explosion and (the now defunct) Present.
    This is because they share the same sub-animation.

I'm the one who came up with the color inversion code, but I never expected moves who didn't have a "anim_bgp $1b" instruction to not behave correctly.

It happens because the particle ANIM_OBJ_17 plays 5 times (an odd number), which also explains why the glitch doesn't happen in the first part of Selfdestruct and Explosion animations, which make ANIM_OBJ_17 play 10 times (an even number).
    It's a good thing the move Present was scrapped in polishedcrystal, because the number of times ANIM_OBJ_17 plays is dependent of the base power of Present:
    _40 BP => 5 times (1 loop, odd)
    _80 BP => 10 times (2 loops, even)
    _120 BP => 15 times (3 loops, odd)
    which would have been pretty bothersome to make exceptions for.

I fixed this by making both branches that use the particle ANIM_OBJ_17 play it 6 times per loop instead of 5, thus fixing the color inversion issue as well as making the animation for Present not as annoying, should this move be in use again in polishedcrystal.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2017
    Is it normal for me and Lyra to both have a female starter considering they are normally more likely to be male? (Could be just luck there) or for my Cyndaquil to have Flame Body and not blaze? (not complaining here, I like breeding things and if it works like in later gen I won't need to store my starter and replace it with another fire type when hatching eggs)...

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • I hope you can put the feature of Rutile Ruby where you can switch pokemon after battle but can't see the opposite trainer's next pokemon. It's a good compromise for those who mainly use set option.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2017
    So I'm not far yet in the beta (just got my first badge) and noticed two things :
    1) When I catch a pokemon its image that appears in the "Do you want to give a nickname to X" screen is of a colour different from its stats picture and different from the default colour used in the pokedex image. Basically pokemon have 3 different colours: the one they have in battle, the one in the nickname screen and the one in the pokedex...
    2) Right after I defeated the youngster in Route 32, that says that he uses his favourites and not the same strong pokemon as everyone else, I got a phone call by the in-game mom about using my money to buy me an item. In the split second between the end of the fight and the beginning of the phone call, the cut tree that was visible in the background disappeared...and reappeared once the call was finished...

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    ?Another bug: colors remain inverted after (successfully) using Dynamic Punch. Colors go back to normal after: a. acknowledging that the move was/wasn't effective, or b. using the move again.

edit: Shellder's Skill Link "misses" (breaks) immediately after Tauros' Anger Point activates. Also, Anger Point keeps activating (and, ergo, breaking Skill Link) even though Attack has already been maxed out.

Edit2: ending an initiated call semi-freezes the screen; pressing the up or down buttons prompts the "Orange region" location list (as if I was in the dex) while stuck in the phone contacts list. Not surr if relevany but the number of contacts is 18.

What do you mean with Skill Link missing activating Anger Point? Can you describe what it says text-wise when it happens or show a video?

Is it normal for me and Lyra to both have a female starter considering they are normally more likely to be male? (Could be just luck there) or for my Cyndaquil to have Flame Body and not blaze? (not complaining here, I like breeding things and if it works like in later gen I won't need to store my starter and replace it with another fire type when hatching eggs)...

Lyra always gets a female starter. Your starter is just random. As for Flame Body, non-Faithful have starters have another ability in their 2nd ability slot, aside from Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent and their hidden abilities. For the Cyndaquil line, this is Flame Body.

I hope you can put the feature of Rutile Ruby where you can switch pokemon after battle but can't see the opposite trainer's next pokemon. It's a good compromise for those who mainly use set option.

You mean for Switch training? There's 3 modes possible: Set (works like in vanilla), Switch (doesn't reveal opponent Pok?mon like you describe) and Predict (works like vanilla Switch).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2024
    What do you mean with Skill Link missing activating Anger Point? Can you describe what it says text-wise when it happens or show a video?
    I mean that Anger Point cancels Skill Link-affected Icicle Crash as soon as it activates. If the second IC hit was a critical, too bad for the remaining 3 hits; gotta wait for the next turn and pray for not getting any crits if I want to hit all 5 times. I can no longer test tbis with other multi hit noves for I uodated my beta and it's no longer compatible with my save. :(

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Is it okay to ask if someone can compile the current github version for me? I don't have the means to do it myself right now, and I'd like to try the things that can be seen if you compile it now.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Coincidentally Rangi, after seeing the blue Pichu, would it be a bother if I asked about if you had any interest in adding a Crystal Onix in the game?

Shiny Onix is already crystal-colored, and I'm leaving shiny Steelix as gold.

An actual unique Crystal Onix would work well on Sunburst Island in the Orange Archipelago. I'm not including that island, but it is in Pokémon Orange.

Weird instance with the Stats Judge (in regards to a Harvest Exeggcute): sometimes he'll state that a mon is "decent overall"; however, he won't comment on any of the stats and then say that the stats "simply can't be beaten". This doesn't happen with any other mon.
    edit4: same thing happens with a No Guard Machop. Unlike the Harvest Exeggcute, this mon has no DVs whatsoever. They're different natured, have been caught with the same ball type (Great Ball).

I might not have fully updated the Stats Judge to account for having six DVs.

This was a bug in an earlier beta, but it should be fixed in the latest code.

The DynamicPunch glitch also happens with Selfdestruct, Explosion and (the now defunct) Present.
    This is because they share the same sub-animation.

I'm the one who came up with the color inversion code, but I never expected moves who didn't have a "anim_bgp $1b" instruction to not behave correctly.

It happens because the particle ANIM_OBJ_17 plays 5 times (an odd number), which also explains why the glitch doesn't happen in the first part of Selfdestruct and Explosion animations, which make ANIM_OBJ_17 play 10 times (an even number).
    It's a good thing the move Present was scrapped in polishedcrystal, because the number of times ANIM_OBJ_17 plays is dependent of the base power of Present:
    _40 BP => 5 times (1 loop, odd)
    _80 BP => 10 times (2 loops, even)
    _120 BP => 15 times (3 loops, odd)
    which would have been pretty bothersome to make exceptions for.

I fixed this by making both branches that use the particle ANIM_OBJ_17 play it 6 times per loop instead of 5, thus fixing the color inversion issue as well as making the animation for Present not as annoying, should this move be in use again in polishedcrystal.

Thanks for identifying and fixing that, MeroMero! However, I switched to just adding a "anim_bgp $e4" at the end of BattleAnim_Dynamicpunch. I've already had to do so for other moves that use ANIM_BG_FLASH_INVERTED or ANIM_OBJ_17, and I just prefer that to modifying how the move looks.

By the way, if you're up for designing more move animations, they'd really help out. Some of the reused ones are fairly appropriate, like BattleAnim_Psywave for Extrasensory (Psywave is deleted) or BattleAnim_SpikeCannon for Icicle Spear (Spike Cannon is deleted; blue spikes would improve this though). But others reuse animations from moves that still exist, or that don't really fit, like BattleAnim_RockSlide for Avalanche or BattleAnim_Bubble for Scald.

So I'm not far yet in the beta (just got my first badge) and noticed two things :
    1) When I catch a pokemon its image that appears in the "Do you want to give a nickname to X" screen is of a colour different from its stats picture and different from the default colour used in the pokedex image. Basically pokemon have 3 different colours: the one they have in battle, the one in the nickname screen and the one in the pokedex...

The Pokédex sprites will inevitably look different. They use the default species colors, whereas your particular Pokémon could vary and/or be shiny. However, the "Do you want to give a nickname" sprite should match; I'll look into it.

2) Right after I defeated the youngster in Route 32, that says that he uses his favourites and not the same strong pokemon as everyone else, I got a phone call by the in-game mom about using my money to buy me an item. In the split second between the end of the fight and the beginning of the phone call, the cut tree that was visible in the background disappeared...and reappeared once the call was finished...

Sounds like just how all sprites behave. If they're even partially covered by a text box, they disappear.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2021
    Hey Rangi,

Have you thought about implementing/allowing Ubers in the Battle Tower? In most games the Ubers come at the end of the game and you don't get to use them very often. It would be neat to allow Ubers in the battle tower so they can be played with more than in past games. Maybe allow one Uber per party and allow the AI to use them as well?

Back