• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2023
    Hello! this is my second time playing this hack but something i never figured out for myself is what EV system does this hack have? if the answer is the new one then is it possible to have the old one as an option like with natures? I personally hate the new EV system for casual playthroughs

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2024
    Hello! this is my second time playing this hack but something i never figured out for myself is what EV system does this hack have? if the answer is the new one then is it possible to have the old one as an option like with natures? I personally hate the new EV system for casual playthroughs

It's like gen 3, but not limited to 510. So you can get the max of 252 in all stats. Much better for casual playthroughs imo.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2023
    is there a way to use Cheats on this rom hack? tried on vba and gambatte, nothing works :(

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2023
    Hello, there! Was wondering if there are any sort of tools that would allow the player to make personal alterations to Polished Crystal? I'm assuming that the code is far too altered from vanilla for most tools to work on it.

I'd like to change a few types and movepools, notably:

Spoiler:

I realize that some of those combinations aren't great, of course, but I'd love to be able to customize even more beyond what Rangi has gifted us with.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2024
    Create a local copy of the Github repo; find the appropriate folder/*.asm; edit the mons' types; build the .gbc with RGBDS; enjoy.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2023
    Wow, thanks! I'll try that! What about learned moves? Can you edit them there as well?

I was also wanting to change the type of a move. Is that possible using that method?

EDIT: It is possible, it seems. So, I've made my edits, and moved on to downloading cygwin in order to compile the game. However, in the readme, it says:

"In the installer, select the following packages: `git`, `python`, `make`, and `gcc-core`."

Thing is: there's a LOT of different packages with some variation of the name "python", but not one that I can see that is *just* called python. Not sure which one I'm supposed to get...

EDIT2: Nevermind. I found it, I think.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2023
    Hi, double post. Sorry. Got a bit of a technical issue.

I've been trying to go through the process of compiling a modified Polished Crystal rom, but have run into some roadblocks. The readme seems to assume that the reader already has some knowledge for how the process works, but I'm new to a lot of this, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice?

Here's what I did so far:
    1. Downloaded the latest nightly beta as source code.
    2. Directly edited asm files for pokemon, etc, making sure to adhere to the code format that Rangi has laid out there.

Now, I'm at the part where I'm trying to compile it, and that's where I'm stuck.
    I've gotten to these instructions:
    Spoiler:

I suppose that I'm supposed to put those commands in, so I do so, but the prompt has no indication that it is doing anything, other than say that a process is running when I try to click the X. Am I doing this right?

In the meantime, I've gone ahead and downloaded rgbds and have the files like so:
    Spoiler:

The problems are that:
    a) I'm not sure where to go digging to find "all" the exe and dll files, nor how I can be confident that I got them all.
    b) The polished Crystal main folder that I downloaded does not have an rgbds folder. Am I supposed to just make a folder for it at the root, alongside the "data" and other folders?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 14, 2024
    Hi, double post. Sorry. Got a bit of a technical issue.

You should open the install instructions in a browser. Copying markdown formatting ain't helping you here.
    (``` Bash is formatting, and not something you copy)

You enter all those commands in the cygwin terminal, line by line.

git clone https://github.com/Rangi42/polishedcrystal.git
    ENTER
    (^ this clones the repo)

cd polishedcrystal
    ENTER
    (^ this enters the folder you just downloaded with git)

mkdir rgbds
    ENTER
    (^ this creates the folder rgbds)

If you have no idea how to navigate a terminal (can tell from your post), a quick google search might be your friend; most importantly the commands "ls" to list all files in a directory, and "cd" to change it ("cd .." to go one level up).
    By cloning the git repo you actually download the source, if you manually downloaded before and did any changes, you need to move them to the freshly downloaded one. Don't just copy all previously downloaded files over, only the ones you changed. Git is nice because it allows you to keep it up to date with the source without having to redo changes all the time. I'd suggest reading up on git as well.

The downloaded repo will be in the Cygwin folder in whatever home directory you chose, so like /Cygwin/home/NAME/polishedcrystal/

Yes, you need to create the rgbds folder. Doesn't matter if in windows explorer or with "mkdir rgbds". Inside you put the files from the latest rgbds release for windows 64 bit.
    libpng16-16.dll
    rgbasm.exe
    rgbfix.exe
    rgbgfx.exe
    rgblink.exe
    zlib1.dll

You don't just download the whole rgbds repo, that's what releases are for.

To actually build the rom, if everything is set up correctly (all dependencies including rgbds installed etc), all you gotta do is type "make" in the root folder of the rom project. In the terminal, obviously ;)

Lastly, I'd suggest you join the polished crystal discord for such questions.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2023
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply in detail! That's a real help, so I appreciate it! I'll work over your instructions when I get home!

And yes, I'll definitely join the Discord! Thanks again!

EDIT: And ah, yes I see. Bash was just a formatting thing that got copied over from the website. Good to know.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2021
    Just got to Mahogany and Im loving the game! So far my favorite feature has to be color variations and things like Magikarp/Arbok differences. Just gonna post whatever bugs or oversights Ive experienced so far. Im using Retroarch Windows (Gambatte) with the 3.0.0 beta.

-Rode bike into the south of Ecruteak kinda fast and some building tiles failed to load. Specifically some of the gym and roof tiles.
    -Breeding babies are all caught in Pokeball regardless of parent balls (Intentional?)
    -Started travelling in the Swamp and Stormy bay areas. Some patches of grass dont seem to have any encounters at all
    -Same with Violet outskirts, no Pokemon but also when I try to enter the buildings I get turned around. Maybe this is just incomplete as we speak?

Also would like clarification on breeding mechanics and shiny probability. Got the "Masuda" Ditto and have been trying to breed it with an Onix for about a day. No shinies yet.

I really like what youve done so far. Ill reply back if I find any other bugs. Any chance youd add Crystal Onix or Pink Butterfree?

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2024
    Hello, I think there's something wrong with my quilava. It's fire type moves just do very little damage. Seems to be regardless of move, ember and flame something both do less damage than swift and dig.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Hello, I think there's something wrong with my quilava. It's fire type moves just do very little damage. Seems to be regardless of move, ember and flame something both do less damage than swift and dig.

This was fixed a few days ago, the latest build should have the fix.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Just got to Mahogany and Im loving the game! So far my favorite feature has to be color variations and things like Magikarp/Arbok differences. Just gonna post whatever bugs or oversights Ive experienced so far. Im using Retroarch Windows (Gambatte) with the 3.0.0 beta.

-Rode bike into the south of Ecruteak kinda fast and some building tiles failed to load. Specifically some of the gym and roof tiles.
    -Breeding babies are all caught in Pokeball regardless of parent balls (Intentional?)
    -Started travelling in the Swamp and Stormy bay areas. Some patches of grass dont seem to have any encounters at all
    -Same with Violet outskirts, no Pokemon but also when I try to enter the buildings I get turned around. Maybe this is just incomplete as we speak?

Also would like clarification on breeding mechanics and shiny probability. Got the "Masuda" Ditto and have been trying to breed it with an Onix for about a day. No shinies yet.

I really like what youve done so far. Ill reply back if I find any other bugs. Any chance youd add Crystal Onix or Pink Butterfree?

Are you using VBA? I recommend another emulator in that case, because VBA is inaccurate and have potential graphical issues like you describe, and can also outright crash in places.

Breeding works like it does in 7gen. for the most part. That is, the "Masuda Ditto" can be used to breed using the Masuda method for a boosted shiny rate (to 6/4096 in normal circumstances, or 8/4096 if you also have the Shiny Charm). Since Polished doesn't have online connectivity at this time, "international breeding" here means "the parents have different OTID".

The breeding mechanics also includes ball inheritance from later generations, so if they're not being inherited correctly, that's a bug. I'll look into it. One important difference for breeding in Polished compared to SM/USUM is that you can make one or both parents hold an Ability Capsule for a boosted chance of the Egg having a Hidden Ability.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I am playing the 3.0 nightly version and it is WONDERFUL!
    Nice work and the new features are amazing. One of the best hacks, maybe the best hack I have ever played!

I love that pop up window for attacks and photos of new collected items.

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I have a question, the new nightly 3.0.0 beta features the modern IV/EV system? Or is it the vanilla gen 1&2 system? thanks in advance

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    A small new feature: ABC or QWERTY keyboards.

I have a question, the new nightly 3.0.0 beta features the modern IV/EV system? Or is it the vanilla gen 1&2 system? thanks in advance

It has modern EV yields, but without the 510 limit. IVs are still 0-15, but all six stats have their own IV. Gender, shininess, nature, and form (such as Unown letters) are all independent of IVs.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    The "newbox" PC Storage System is ready to play! Many thanks to FIQ and darsh for making it possible.

The PC has an icon-based interface like Gen 3+, you can navigate through all the boxes without saving, and the boxes have grown from 14 to 16. So you can flip through your entire collection of 320 Pokémon! Each box can also have its own theme chosen from a set of 30.

Before updating your ROM, save in a Pokémon Center first floor, and back up your old ROM and save file just in case!

This did involve changes to the saved data structures, so old save files will not work; but we've borrowed Prism's BSP patch system to upgrade old saves. The .bsp file can be downloaded from the 3.0.0 beta nightly release, along with the usual .gbc and .sym files, and applied with a patcher tool like Prism's.

Back