• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
Years
  • +6 0 Atk Sharp Beak no iv lvl 47 Gyarados Bounce(90bp) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def lvl 100 max iv Hitmonchan: 278-330 (115.3 - 136.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

in the mean while theres one safe solution to the monster trainer. use his weak mons to setup/baton pass stuff.

The worst one is the exeggutor since it lives and one shots, then you gotta get lucky

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Fixed Icicle Crash's name, haven't figured out the Bill phone glitch yet. If it's still unsolved tomorrow I'll just disable the feature for now.

I've also had a report that Nuzlocke mode turns itself on randomly, possibly due to changing other options like automatic Running Shoes and shift/set battle style. I haven't been able to trigger it myself yet. If anyone notices this happening, please let me know.

Last edited:

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
  • Fixed Icicle Crash's name, haven't figured out the Bill phone glitch yet. If it's still unsolved tomorrow I'll just disable the feature for now.

I've also had a report that Nuzlocke mode turns itself on randomly. Can everyone keep an eye out for that, maybe notice what circumstances cause it to happen? I haven't been able to trigger it myself yet.

Neither have I, another oddity here on the SS Aqua
    Spoiler:

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    EDIT: Yet another bug for (you), when you change the PC box via phone it bugs out and doesn't work, it lets you catch stuff but after you do it spits out a bunch of garbage text on the line where it says the pokemon was sent to the PC and the pokemon you caught will be nowhere to be found

Okay, now it works, both when he calls you and when you call him.

I think that was the last major bug, so if no more get reported, then 2.0.1 is ready. I'll keep playtesting in the meantime.

Also, for everyone still playing 2.0.0 looking for bugs, please use this build. It includes the latest fixes and should be compatible with your save files. I want to be sure that fixing one bug didn't cause another. Thank you!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Will there be more patches past 2.0.1? If so, I could wait a little longer. The problem is that I don't want to spend more time grinding to get from gym to gym and place to place. I got a backlog of other games to get past before even beginning to get to this. I do like what is in there but getting to it all could take a while.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Will there be more patches past 2.0.1? If so, I could wait a little longer. The problem is that I don't want to spend more time grinding to get from gym to gym and place to place.

I'm not sure what you're asking. 2.0.1 will be to fix some game-breaking bugs, so if there aren't any more of those, the next patch will be 2.1.0 and will probably be weeks away at least. Johto's level curve is okay and I just fixed Kanto's, so however much grinding you do is how much it takes. Note that 2.0.1 and probably 2.1.0 too will be save-compatible with 2.0.0, so you could start playing now and get 2.0.1's fixes any time before reaching Mahogany and its insanely strong trainer.

Years
    • Seen today
    I'm not sure what you're asking. 2.0.1 will be to fix some game-breaking bugs, so if there aren't any more of those, the next patch will be 2.1.0 and will probably be weeks away at least. Johto's level curve is okay and I just fixed Kanto's, so however much grinding you do is how much it takes. Note that 2.0.1 and probably 2.1.0 too will be save-compatible with 2.0.0, so you could start playing now and get 2.0.1's fixes any time before reaching Mahogany and its insanely strong trainer.

I will do that. I'll try to keep playing as long as I have time.

Veloxenium

Rangi, great work on releasing 2.0.0! What's an example of a change that would break save compatibility? Are there any bug fixes that could break save compatibility?

Also, I'd like to give my two cents on the non-canon changes. I really, really like the balance and moveset changes you've implemented. They make the original game more fun. I just can't seem to appreciate the Pokemon type changes you've made. It feels so out of place, especially because so much of my knowledge of the game surrounds an understanding of each Pokemon's type. I like the balance changes because they're exactly that- changes to the game's balance. Everything else doesn't feel like Pokemon. I think I will ultimately settle for the Faithful version, but I do have a question:
    This will be more familiar, but can have some odd consequences, like a Ghost trainer using a Ninetales that lacks STAB on its Shadow Ball.

Why does it have to be like this? Is it possible to go through the NPC's teams and give them appropriate Pokemon for the release type?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Rangi, great work on releasing 2.0.0! What's an example of a change that would break save compatibility? Are there any bug fixes that could break save compatibility?

Thank you! Save files break when data gets moved around in memory too much, like when I add new events or maps. I've reserved some extra space in 2.0.0 for that, so I can still add some safely. There are also changes which would make save files load but be nonsense, like if I replace Aipom with Rhyperior and somebody already caught an Aipom.

Is it possible to go through the NPC's teams and give them appropriate Pokemon for the release type?

It technically is, and I've done that in some cases. In others, I didn't think it was worth the effort. That specific example of Ninetales is because there are so few Ghost-types, and I wanted Morty to have a more diverse team. I mean, Nintendo gave Flint in Diamond/Pearl almost no actual Fire-types, and official rare-type trainers like Agatha and Lance have also used Pokémon not of their specialty type, so it's not too strange.

Veloxenium

Really though, thanks for the response. I'm studying computer science right now and am looking for a project to work on. I might just make a ROM hack of my own. It seems like it could be a great learning experience.
    That specific example of Ninetales is because there are so few Ghost-types, and I wanted Morty to have a more diverse team.

Understood. Diversity is good. My concern may not be so much for the NPC Pokemon's types, then, but their respective movesets. Unless I am mistaken, Ninetales can't learn Shadow Ball under any circumstances in the Faithful version. I assume you just copied over the Pokemon teams to Faithful, moveset and all?

Consistency in that area might be something to consider for future releases. You know, for extra polish. :)

Keep on keeping on, Rangi. Your dedication to this hack is palpable.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Goodness, do you ever sleep?

I just learned that 7-11 has espresso shots with their coffee. So, no. :P

Really though, thanks for the response. I'm studying computer science right now and am looking for a project to work on. I might just make a ROM hack of my own. It seems like it could be a great learning experience.

As a CS major, I think this is a great idea. You tend to have two kinds of classes, the abstract mathematical ones with things like finite-state machines and algorithmic complexity, and the low-level actual-computer ones concerned with implementation details like how memory works. Assembly language is IMO one of the best ways to learn the second kind. Even a "low-level" language like C still lets you declare as many variables and functions as you want, and the compiler sorts it all out. And its type system may not be as abstract and powerful as something like Haskell, but it still prevents a lot of bugs at compile-time before your can learn from them.

Assembly has no such safeguards. The bug I fixed in 2.0.1 where three of the four Unown panels crashed? I had deleted three sections of code because the labels at the top weren't referenced anywhere, but it turns out they were still accessed by taking the address of a fourth and adding to it. (And because I had the file's whole change history in Git, I didn't even waste a lot of time tracking down the error.) Fun! :P Anyway, pokecrystal's a good place to start because so much is done with macros that it's like using a high-level language for simple things, but to write original features you'll need to think about the hardware.

Unless I am mistaken, Ninetales can't learn Shadow Ball under any circumstances in the Faithful version. I assume you just copied over the Pokemon teams to Faithful, moveset and all?

Actually, even in the Faithful version movesets are the same, since I tend to change types in ways that already made sense to me. Ninetales learns moves like Shadow Ball and Psychic in vanilla Crystal, so I debated making it Fire/Ghost or Fire/Psychic, and decided that centuries-old kitsune are more like spirits. (And wanted another Ghost-type.)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023

Ah, you're right. I was thinking of Psychic- and Ghost-type moves, like Confuse Ray and Hex and Psyshock, and most of those are in later generations. Dunsparce is a better example: it learns Dig, Drill Run, Bulldoze, and Earthquake, so I made it Normal/Ground and gave it Mud Slap as a beginner Ground move. Part of the rationale is that I just like Dunsparce and want it to be more viable, but also it's a burrowing creature with obvious Ground associations.

Aussie Riolu

What is anything to a Riolu?
    Years
  • Aaah that Lyra theme in GSC style! I love it so much! <3
    EDIT: OMG the XY Rival theme! These music choices are great and they sound so good too!

minochet

Attack And Assault Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2022
    OK, so another game breaker:

I saved in Bellchime Path, since I wanted to make sure I caught Suicune. I reset the game and...white screen.

Minor one: I don't know how this was supposed to work, but Lyra was apparently supposed to battle me before I went to Mahogany Town, but I didn't battle her til after I beat Pryce.

Just got my badge in Goldenrod. Immediately grabbed the Squirtbottle from the flower shop (I went north and returned Floria to the shop before challenging the Gym) then ran up to catch Sudowoodo. Saved in front of Sudowoodo, and found my Nuzlocke mode has turned itself on. I haven't tried to catch a Pokemon since whiting out at the Bug Catching Contest where it was off so...

Whiting out in the Bug Catching Contest may have turned on Nuzlocke mode. One of the Trainers, item balls, or hidden items in the National Park may have turned it on. Or the Psychic, and Schoolboy trainers to the east of the park did. Or returning Floria to the Flower Shop did. Or one of the Trainers in Goldenrod's Gym. Or getting the Squirtbottle did. One of those things had to have done it, as those are the things that I did between my last catch and it turning itself on.

Enjoying myself, got addicted to Wonder Trade for a good 20 minutes when I hit Goldenrod. Really liking the changes so far. I have better feedback, but while you're looking at bugs, I wanted to try to pin down whatever is turning on Nuzlocke mode. I'm glad I saved before Sudowoodo, or I would've missed him because of it. Keep up the good work!

EDIT: Twins Anne and Ann on the Route under Ecruteak are Tori and Tille (or something like that) in battle.

EDIT2: When you enter the house directly underneath the Burned Tower, it acts as if you fell through a hole to get in.

Last edited:
    Back