• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Well, I understand you point with Sevii islands and Vs. Seeker, about cries, just for now why don't you use their pre-evos or evos cries? i mean, use Snoxlax's cry for Munchlax, Magneton's cry for Magnezone, etc. I think that will be a Little more accurate than use Mew's cry :)

PD: I'm agree with the idea to replace Spike Cannon for Icicle Spear {:3}

That is what I did with the cries... wait, you're right, Munchlax, Magnezone, and Tangrowth have Mew's cry. Don't know how that happened, the other new ones like Rhyperior and Weavile are correct. Fixed, thank you.

Icicle Spear now exists.

Years
  • I've been breeding with Shiny Ditto, but the chance for egg is 9.5% per 256 steps (The minimal). So it's taking forever. What do you think about receiving Shiny Ditto just as a gift Pokémon, but with a different TID? The chance of producing an egg would be better, but not the best, because the species will always be different (Making an exception for Ditto to have the same specie when breeding with it, will max out the chance to 39.1%, I don't know if that's possible to do).

An Ability like Flame Body or Magma Armor could be great too, since Gen II doesn't have something like that.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    In the official games, Ditto always count as being the same species as the lowest stage of the Pokémon you are breeding with. Not sure if this is the case in 2gen, but it is past that.

Could also perhaps do Oval Charm as a gift for seeing (but not capturing) the entire Pokédex.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    In the official games, Ditto always count as being the same species as the lowest stage of the Pokémon you are breeding with. Not sure if this is the case in 2gen, but it is past that.

Could also perhaps do Oval Charm as a gift for seeing (but not capturing) the entire Pokédex.

I had already planned to add the Shiny Charm, and the Oval Charm is also a good idea. And having another bonus for completing the Pokédex is nice, on top of the diploma for catching them all.

(Now that TMs and HMs are separate from actual items, there are still six empty slots even after reserving space for a lot of new held items, and various others like Zinc, Bottle Caps, and the Oval Charm...)

Last edited:

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Perhaps also boost the Egg granting rate to be consistent with how it is in later generations? And make it possible to add the phone number of the Day Care man and make them call on egg creation, so you don't have to go back and forth and check. And remove the arbitrary prevention of breeding on identical Defense DVs and almost-identical Special DV.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Most updates have been behind the scenes lately, but a visible feature I'm working on is Battle Points.

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

You can earn 3 BP from each 7-trainer streak in the Battle Tower (instead of the 5 random vitamins you got in the original Crystal), and 1 BP per day from Cal or Kay in Trainer House.

The rewards aren't implemented yet, but you'll be able to buy items with BP, kind of like Buena's Blue Card points. They'll include new held items, which I have room to add now that TMs and HMs are implemented separately from items.

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2016
    Hi, just want to thank you for the great work you've done. I've been playing 2.2 on my 3DS and this is easily one of my favourite romhacks and exactly what I've been looking for so far though I do have some trouble atm.

I've been trying to get a Metal Coat from the Magnemite on Route 39, so far I'm three boxes deep and haven't seen a single one. Is this intended? I was under the impression that wild Magnemite still hold them but I haven't seen a single one.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Hi, just want to thank you for the great work you've done. I've been playing 2.2 on my 3DS and this is easily one of my favourite romhacks and exactly what I've been looking for so far though I do have some trouble atm.

I've been trying to get a Metal Coat from the Magnemite on Route 39, so far I'm three boxes deep and haven't seen a single one. Is this intended? I was under the impression that wild Magnemite still hold them but I haven't seen a single one.

You're welcome! :)

IIRC, rare items had around a 2% chance to be held in 2.2.0. Give your lead Pokémon an Amulet Coin to double the chances.

(In 3.0 the rare item is 5% and the common one is 20%. With an Amulet Coin or the Compound Eyes ability that goes up to 20% and 60%.)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    A few graphical updates.

First of all, I've shamelessly copied yet again from TPP Anniversary Crystal, so Polished Crystal 3.0 will have field move portraits.

Second, some custom graphics. The Pewter Museum meteorite has a sprite, just like the three fossils; and the Red Gyarados is larger.

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2023
    Been a rom hack lurker for years, but this one's really good and I thought I'd leave some feedback. Gen II is very special to me and having Physical/Special split + Fairy typing is exactly the kind of thing I've been hoping to find in a Gen II hack. In fact, I was thinking of (finally) getting into the rom hacking scene myself and figured I should check around to see if there was already a Gen II rom hack that did the kinds of things I wanted to, which led me here (Also TPP:AC, but this looked more interesting to me :P). I enjoy the Drayano style changes to typing/moves/stats and can really appreciate your attitude toward creating as much of an official feel as one can with a rom hack.

Anyway, I started playing maybe a week or two before the 2.0 update and was really torn between keeping a shiny Tentacool I caught and experiencing all the cool new stuff in the update, only to see a wild DV code get posted, so I happily restarted knowing I could catch the exact same Tentacool. Then natures happened, and again I happily restarted since I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to getting at least decent natures. I've made it to Yellow Forest once, and Ecruteak twice. Some things came up IRL, so I stopped playing two-ish weeks ago, but I'm back now and I thought I'd give my feedback as I start playing again, so enough of my ramblings.

I haven't personally had any craziness as far as the alleged plethora of shinies, but I did get my Tentacool, and a shiny Misdreavus. I got the latter while obsessively breeding for a female with a decent nature from one I got through wonder trade (Really neat addition btw, and a great use for the Communication Center) paired with a Ditto (not the shiny gift one, haven't gotten to it yet) that apparently had the right Defense and Special DVs. I also have a shiny Jigglypuff, but that's one I decided to give myself, as I caught one in a GBA rom hack I ended up not enjoying, so I figured I'd use a shiny Jiggs in this instead. That's only 2 non-event shinies, one of which was bred, though I am only just now leaving Ectruteak, so we'll see what happens.

Speaking of Ecruteak, I'm really looking forward to seeing how the level progression goes from here, and I personally love a challenging game, so I'll definitely be providing some feedback. I'm not one for grinding, and I like to play the games with more than 6 Pokemon, so I won't give a very typical perspective, but I hope it's useful nonetheless. I usually use 12, but I'm having too much fun with such a shake up to Crystal, so I think I'll end up limiting myself to 18... probably going to need at least a little grinding to make sure everybody can keep up though. >_>

As far as stat EXP vs. EVs, I quite like the way Gen II stat experience works, it's so hassle free and easy to wear-- err, work with. For in game purposes it's great, and though I think the EV system is more interesting and creates greater diversity among individual 'mons, I personally like the bulky meta of Gen II and think the idea of psuedo-stat investment items allows for the meta to remain similar to GSC, but covers the diversity aspect of EVs while creating a unique twist for the potential Polished Crystal meta. Offensively, Muscle Band and Wise Glasses become more useful, and you could even include Life Orb for mixed attackers, if you so choose/have room (though a slight buff/nerf to it may be ideal for balance if you do. Just food for thought). Name-wise, I personally would like something such as Aegis Shield for defense and maybe ____ Circlet for Sp. Defense. I think it would make for a nice homage to the fact the Pokemon is an RPG, albeit a pretty unique one. I like the idea of Bunny Hood as a reference to Zelda games, though I personally think Pegasus Boots (unfortunately just realized it's one character too long) would be a bit more fitting. Boots in general I think would be the most obvious naming scheme. Someone else mentioned Megaman X, which immediately brings to mind the Dash Boots upgrade from X1. For Sp. Def, my initial thought was that Spirit Circlet would sound nice/convey Special moves well, but that's also too long. Circlets typically increase magic defense though, so I think either that or Spirit something would be good options for naming these hypothetical items.

Anyway, I had a few minor errors such as grammar and a few weird text box issues to report, but I think I saw others mention all the ones I can think of (I had a text document with them that I can't find... guess it disappeared when my laptop crashed a few weeks back :|). Off the top of my head I don't remember if anyone mentioned it, but the lass in Olivine Lighthouse standing near the hole and stairs on the 4th floor had a big gap in her dialogue when talked to after battle. Sorry if that's already been fixed/mentioned by now.

Not much of an error, but an oversight/balance issue. Submission is basically a useless move; there's no reason to choose it over Strength. They're both 90 base physical moves with 100 accuracy, but Submission causes recoil damage. Not only is it objectively worse, but literally every Pokemon that learns Submission also learns Strength (unless you count Totodile and Magby, both of whom evolve into Pokemon that can learn both), not to mention the player would, under normal circumstances, have Strength long before most Pokemon learn Submission. Either Strength should return to 80 power, or better yet, Submission receive more of a buff. You could make Strength normal again, but then it would have basically the same issue with Take Down. Either way, there should be some reason to choose a recoil move over one with no side effects. One more thing before this big ol' post is over though.

How do I build the project on github, and do I need an account to do so?

I'd really like to play with the changes added between September and now. Especially 20 phone number slots. Thank you sooooooo much. There's barely any room for numbers in the base game as it is, let alone PC with new characters/numbers. Since there's actually room now, have you considered adding more trainers with numbers? It feels a little odd not being able to have a trainer of each class available for rematches, but I might just be a little OCD. Not really important, but I think it would be a nice addition, assuming there's space for it. You could potentially make trainers who gift new evolution items such as the Shiny/Dusk Stones, though giving those to pre-existing PokeGear trainers would be a solid alternative.

TL;DR: I love the hack enough to make an account for posting purposes. I really appreciate how active you are and look forward to seeing this hack keep improving. :)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Been a rom hack lurker for years, but this one's really good and I thought I'd leave some feedback.

Thanks a lot! I like hearing about players' experiences with it.

I haven't personally had any craziness as far as the alleged plethora of shinies, but I did get my Tentacool, and a shiny Misdreavus.

I'd still call two shinies before Ecruteak a bit too common. Anyway, in 3.0 the chances will be 1 in 4,096, just like Gen VI.

Speaking of Ecruteak, I'm really looking forward to seeing how the level progression goes from here, and I personally love a challenging game, so I'll definitely be providing some feedback. I'm not one for grinding, and I like to play the games with more than 6 Pokemon, so I won't give a very typical perspective, but I hope it's useful nonetheless. I usually use 12, but I'm having too much fun with such a shake up to Crystal, so I think I'll end up limiting myself to 18... probably going to need at least a little grinding to make sure everybody can keep up though. >_>

Interesting, I look forward to hearing about this! And yes, you'll definitely have to grind if you want to keep 12 Pokémon on par with the NPCs.

As far as stat EXP vs. EVs, I quite like the way Gen II stat experience works, it's so hassle free and easy to wear-- err, work with.

This seems like a common sentiment among the players who like Gen 2 hacks. I'll be leaving it as-is in 3.0, so no need for extra stat-boosting items, nor EV-reducing Berries or anything like that. Battling wild Pokémon will reward EVs instead of stat exp—e.g. Electrode gives 2 Speed EVs, not stat exp equal to its base stats. But I think that's actually helpful: 3 EVs out of 255*6 is equivalent to the stat exp gained from defeating a 771 BST Pokémon, even stronger than Arceus' 720 BST.

Anyway, I had a few minor errors such as grammar and a few weird text box issues to report, but I think I saw others mention all the ones I can think of (I had a text document with them that I can't find... guess it disappeared when my laptop crashed a few weeks back :|). Off the top of my head I don't remember if anyone mentioned it, but the lass in Olivine Lighthouse standing near the hole and stairs on the 4th floor had a big gap in her dialogue when talked to after battle. Sorry if that's already been fixed/mentioned by now.

Looks like she's fixed already. Please let me know if you see any more text/graphics errors.

Not much of an error, but an oversight/balance issue. Submission is basically a useless move; there's no reason to choose it over Strength. They're both 90 base physical moves with 100 accuracy, but Submission causes recoil damage. Not only is it objectively worse, but literally every Pokemon that learns Submission also learns Strength (unless you count Totodile and Magby, both of whom evolve into Pokemon that can learn both), not to mention the player would, under normal circumstances, have Strength long before most Pokemon learn Submission. Either Strength should return to 80 power, or better yet, Submission receive more of a buff. You could make Strength normal again, but then it would have basically the same issue with Take Down. Either way, there should be some reason to choose a recoil move over one with no side effects.

Hm, you're right. I gave Submission to more Pokémon because it was an RBY TM and HGSS tutor move, but it's not a very good one. Superpower is missing from 8 learnsets and Close Combat from 4, so maybe I'll replace it with one of them. For now I'll buff it to 120 power like Double-Edge and Flare Blitz.

How do I build the project on github, and do I need an account to do so? I'd really like to play with the changes added between September and now. Especially 20 phone number slots.

No account needed. Just follow the instructions in INSTALL.md. Note that the latest code is in an incomplete state: there are in-progress features and definitely bugs.

Since there's actually room now, have you considered adding more trainers with numbers? It feels a little odd not being able to have a trainer of each class available for rematches, but I might just be a little OCD. Not really important, but I think it would be a nice addition, assuming there's space for it.

I haven't added more phone-call trainers because I'm lazy. :P Testing/debugging them would mean running around waiting for them to call, and triggering whatever events are necessary to update what they say+do. I'll see about adding more, although it's low-priority given everything else that needs doing.

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
    Years
  • Why Valerie has a Togetic in her party instead a Togekiss?

By the way, I noticed that Bruno's Hitmonlee's Return apparently doesn't count with the happiness boost (because he even use Bulk up before and the damage that caused me was almost ridiculous), I suppose that if he use "frustration" (assuming you have not deleted the attack) instead of "Return" will be a better option...or increase the happiness of trainers' pkm.

Spoiler:

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Why Valerie has a Togetic in her party instead a Togekiss?

She has Togekiss in post-E4 rematches (she's on Bellchime Trail every morning).

By the way, I noticed that Bruno's Hitmonlee's Return apparently doesn't count with the happiness boost (because he even use Bulk up before and the damage that caused me was almost ridiculous), I suppose that if he use "frustration" (assuming you have not deleted the attack) instead of "Return" will be a better option...or increase the happiness of trainers' pkm.

Yeah, NPC trainers have max happiness in 3.0.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
    Years
  • She has Togekiss in post-E4 rematches (she's on Bellchime Trail every morning).

Yeah, NPC trainers have max happiness in 3.0.

Spoiler:

Max happiness sounds great!! :)

Well, about Valerie...I alredy beat the E4 in their rematch mode, now Valerie has a Party at Level 70-74 (or something like that)...and She has a Togetic...I'm really sure about this...just check by yourself {:3}

You're welcome Rangi, Few moments ago, when that idea crossed my mind, I seemed too epic, so I figured you might like to hear it ;)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Max happiness sounds great!! :)

Well, about Valerie...I alredy beat the E4 in their rematch mode, now Valerie has a Party at Level 70-74 (or something like that)...and She has a Togetic...I'm really sure about this...just check by yourself {:3}

You're welcome Rangi, Few moments ago, when that idea crossed my mind, I seemed too epic, so I figured you might like to hear it ;)

Hm, you're right about Valerie. Fixed. :)

Also, here's the revised Faraway Island. Trees and grass are separate shades of green. Unfortunately I had to remove the highlights from the tall grass because the palette just cannot accommodate them. It's a worthwhile tradeoff. And Mew now wanders around, though you can't really see the new sprite through the grass.

Back