• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    All those screenshots are looking amazing! I'm not that surprised that the university is taking such great shape though. For a location that never appeared in the games, there's a ridiculous number of references to it in Pokémon lore spanning multiple sources. That and the fact that an area like that has a lot of scope for development. Since it's getting so big, it almost feels as though there should be a sidequest in there or something... I can't think of any ideas for that though :/

By the way, where did you eventually decide to put the university? Next to the Pokémon Centre or near the Gym? Also, has Mateo agreed to put it in the same place for Red++?

It's to the left of the Gym. I don't think Mateo plans to include it in Red++, but we'll see.

As for sidequests, I think the Hyper Test is sufficient. That and getting lots of background info from the bookshelves and NPCs.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    As for sidequests, I think the Hyper Test is sufficient. That and getting lots of background info from the bookshelves and NPCs.

Fair enough. Can't say I disagree with that now that you mention it. I hope people enjoy exploring it!

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    It'll be neat if the books in Celadon University are there to explain a lot of the game changes from an "in-lore" viewpoint. At least stuff that isn't already mentioned by other NPCs. Like stuff about new moves, new items and held items, certain Pokemon being "reclassified" (ie. Bug/Dragon Yanma, Ground/Ghost Marowak) based on new information, etc. I can imagine it's gonna be a super cool place.

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • Hey Rangi any chance of adding that cool Pokemon Prism mugshot sequence before fighting rivals and leaders? That would be ridiculously cool! Makes the game feel modern as well!

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2022
    Sup

First of all, this is a great hack. I'm in Kanto with 4 badges and I'm having a great time

Question: Do Stone evolved Poke'mon learn different movesets? The same? Is there any wiki/file indicating the movesets for each Poke'mon?

Thanks in advance

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    I'm in Kanto with 4 badges and I'm having a great time

I know you're pretty far in the game, but I'd highly recommend picking it back up when v3.0 comes out. It's gonna be vastly improved in many ways, and the world is way more fleshed out than it ever used to be. It's something to be hyped about for sure! :D

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2022
    I know you're pretty far in the game, but I'd highly recommend picking it back up when v3.0 comes out. It's gonna be vastly improved in many ways, and the world is way more fleshed out than it ever used to be. It's something to be hyped about for sure! :D

Oh, I figured it's already complete.
    Does it mean I'll have to start over?

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2020
    Question: Do Stone evolved Poke'mon learn different movesets? The same? Is there any wiki/file indicating the movesets for each Poke'mon?

You can find a link to all the movesets in the read-me file on the GitHub page. I'd post a link but I can't because of my post count unfortunately.

Anyway, I also wanted to say thanks to Rangi and everyone else who's worked on this game. I started playing it recently and I absolutely love it.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023

Yes, you'd have to restart. But I think you'll find that it feels like a new game, not a replay. Look through the recent posts here and you'll see screenshots of some of what's added to it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023

Well, it's technically already playable from start-to-finish so it's complete in that sense. It's just missing some features still.

3.0 adds a bunch of new features that break saves from previous versions, but honestly for how much better the game becomes I'd say it's worth it.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2020
    Now that I can post links, here's my attempt at sprite animation, since that's something that's still missing for the new sprites as far as I know. Someone posted frames for the Sylveon animation on the Skeetendo thread, so I used that as a guide for how many frames I should make, but I wanted to make sure I'm doing it right before I start another one. Here's Honchkrow, I based it off of the HGSS animation.
    Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

I also took a crack at making overworld sprites for the TR executives. I hope you like them, but if you want to edit them I wouldn't mind.

By the way, where can I find all of the sprites that don't have animations yet? The only ones I have are the ones I've encountered in-game and screencapped from my pokedex. :P

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Now that I can post links, here's my attempt at sprite animation, since that's something that's still missing for the new sprites as far as I know. Someone posted frames for the Sylveon animation on the Skeetendo thread, so I used that as a guide for how many frames I should make, but I wanted to make sure I'm doing it right before I start another one. Here's Honchkrow, I based it off of the HGSS animation.

I also took a crack at making overworld sprites for the TR executives. I hope you like them, but if you want to edit them I wouldn't mind.

By the way, where can I find all of the sprites that don't have animations yet? The only ones I have are the ones I've encountered in-game and screencapped from my pokedex. :P

Oh wow, thank you very much! I'll definitely be using those Executive sprites.

The Honchkrow looks great too, but I might not be able to use it. The gfx.py conversion script doesn't create all the necessary files, and my attempts to fix the Sylveon sprite didn't work. I will try again before releasing 3.0, though.

Pokémon Prism actually has the majority of the sprites I need, so I'll probably use those since the required files already exist and Koolboyman has okay'ed using the source code. But there's one that doesn't exist in Prism:

Variant forms of other Pokémon:

And a few for which I prefer my current static poses:

Compare their Prism animations:

Munchlax would be highest-priority, then Unown, Alolan Diglett/Dugtrio, and Surfing Pikachu (since I already have an animation for the Flying one).

Edit: If you'd like to draw more overworld sprites, I still need some for the five stat trainers, Anabel, Caitlin (in her Battle Frontier outfit), Darach, and a Cosplayer.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2022
    Yes, you'd have to restart. But I think you'll find that it feels like a new game, not a replay. Look through the recent posts here and you'll see screenshots of some of what's added to it.

Sounds great. Guess I'll finish 2.2.0 and then make a fresh start at 3.0.0. Thanks for all the hard work and effort you put in this awesome hack!

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
    Years
  • The new sprites animation are simply AWESOME!!!

By the way Rangi, have you ever considered chance the Clair's party (Rematch)? I mean, in my particular opinion she has to many Dratini's family members on her team (2 Dragonairs and 2 Dragonites)...

Also I saw the new sprites for the Executives of Team Rocket, maybe you can make someking of daily event for those characters, like find them during and specific day of the week in a secret entrance in Celadon's Game corner (maybe that Access can only be open during the specific day), or find them inside the Celadon's Restaurant or Hotel...all this to have a Rematch agains them...specificly to keep hearing the "Team Rocket's Battle Theme" (It's a Master Piece)...add Giovanni it's another possiblility...well, all this it's just an idea.

Grettings to all of you!!! :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2017
    Does anyone know why a Door-shaped groove is in the game? I am trying to figure it out, and I don't know which move or item to use. Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2018
    Hi, long-time lurker first-time registerer here. I've been keeping tabs on this project for a while and I love what you've done with it so far! I decided to try my hand at animating a few of the sprites you needed:

If there's anything you don't like about them, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Hi, long-time lurker first-time registerer here. I've been keeping tabs on this project for a while and I love what you've done with it so far! I decided to try my hand at animating a few of the sprites you needed:

If there's anything you don't like about them, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Those look great! Thank you! :)
    I made a slight change to Munchlax's mouth, but everything else is just right.

Really hope I can get these to work for 3.0.

Edit: Munchlax works!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2018
    I decided to take a crack at the stat trainers while I was at it:

edit: Touched up Cheryl a bit

Last edited:
    Back