• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    Since it's sometimes difficult to keep up with the ways that different hacks handle trade evolutions, do you think it'd be an idea to include an NPC (the evolution guru or something) that tells you how the first pokemon in your party evolves? If there are any you'd like to keep hidden you could have him say he doesn't know about that species. Other pokemon could be "This Pokémon evolves while leveling up!", "This Pokémon evolves when it's really happy!" etc.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    Will version 3.0 break saves? If so, how long until a release of 3.0?

It'll obliterate saves from previous versions, they definitely won't be compatible. As for the release date, nobody knows. I wouldn't expect it to be for a very long time though.

Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2023
    It'll obliterate saves from previous versions, they definitely won't be compatible. As for the release date, nobody knows. I wouldn't expect it to be for a very long time though.

Darn.. Well, I'll just play it now I guess. Thanks :)

Could anyone teach me really quick how to build the current version from github with the most recent changes? It says that if you build project now, itll update several things from 2.2.0.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but can you make the Lake of Rage similar to HG/SS? (I mean the lake flooding "feature")

This would be fun in conjunction with more overworld weather effects. Falling rain, now, or leaves is probably impossible—notice how the blown leaves when Flying force NPCs to disappear—but maybe in 4.0 I could add sound effects and palette changes for rainy weather. Or even seasons.

Since it's sometimes difficult to keep up with the ways that different hacks handle trade evolutions, do you think it'd be an idea to include an NPC (the evolution guru or something) that tells you how the first pokemon in your party evolves? If there are any you'd like to keep hidden you could have him say he doesn't know about that species. Other pokemon could be "This Pokémon evolves while leveling up!", "This Pokémon evolves when it's really happy!" etc.

I'll definitely think about it, for 4.0 if not 3.0.

Darn.. Well, I'll just play it now I guess. Thanks :)

Could anyone teach me really quick how to build the current version from github with the most recent changes? It says that if you build project now, itll update several things from 2.2.0.

I don't recommend playing the latest code just for fun. It's an incomplete game, with bugs and missing content. If you're interested anyway, follow these instructions. Please report any bugs you run into if they're not already listed. I'd also appreciate comments/criticism of the new content, suggested changes, etc.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I've redone a few more maps with FRLG and HGSS tiles. (Prof. Oak's table is from Red++ 3.0.)

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2023
    Hey friend! Just wanted to stop in and thank you for all your hard work. Playing these rom hacks of older gens are wonderful! Looking forward to your next release :)

Edit: Forgot to mention, the fisherman below Lavender Town switches overworld sprites (I think that's what they're called...) to Trainer Yellow's Sprite after you defeat him. After leaving the area and coming back he's a fisherman again. Using GBA4iOS so it could be an emulator issue! Thanks again for the game!

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Hey friend! Just wanted to stop in and thank you for all your hard work. Playing these rom hacks of older gens are wonderful! Looking forward to your next release :)

Edit: Forgot to mention, the fisherman below Lavender Town switches overworld sprites (I think that's what they're called...) to Trainer Yellow's Sprite after you defeat him. After leaving the area and coming back he's a fisherman again. Using GBA4iOS so it could be an emulator issue! Thanks again for the game!

Are you playing 2.2.0? The sprite should work in 3.0; at least it does in BGB and VBA.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2023
    Are you playing 2.2.0? The sprite should work in 3.0; at least it does in BGB and VBA.

I've been playing 2.2.0. Also, would you consider adding an area to "grind" in? Like somewhere filled with Chansey/Blissey or something. For some reason I always end up underleveled after Johto. That being said, I 100% think the level curve is smooth and I might just be avoiding too many random encounters. If you do have an area like that in the game would you tell me where it is? Haha

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I've been playing 2.2.0. Also, would you consider adding an area to "grind" in? For some reason I always end up underleveled after Johto. That being said, I 100% think the level curve is smooth and I might just be avoiding too many random encounters. If you do have an area like that in the game would you tell me where it is? Haha

Cerulean Cave has wild Pokémon levels 65−74, and Mt. Silver has levels 70−80.

3.0 will have more optional areas, particularly in Kanto, so if you explore all of those the trainers and wild encounters should help. They might actually make some players overleveled; I haven't finished adding NPCs to them all, so can't playtest. Will probably rebalance things a little in a 3.1 update.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • I'm playing the most recent build as of approximately an hour ago.

The first and third Team Rocket grunts in Slowpoke Well, at least on my end, respectively have a Golbat in the 50s, and a Raticate in the 30s.

Also, is Strength supposed to still be with the sailor in the cafe?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I sorry if this was asked before,but where I can find the exp. share? i'mon my way to the last Johto gym and I can't find it.

Great hack, btw. Gen II hacks don't please me asthetically, but you did a very good work

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I'm playing the most recent build as of approximately an hour ago.

The first and third Team Rocket grunts in Slowpoke Well, at least on my end, respectively have a Golbat in the 50s, and a Raticate in the 30s.

Also, is Strength supposed to still be with the sailor in the cafe?

The trainers have been fixed.

Strength is in the Cianwood Pokémon Center in 3.0. It gives the scared Gym guy a purpose, and keeps Olivine Café from being overcrowded.

I sorry if this was asked before,but where I can find the exp. share? i'mon my way to the last Johto gym and I can't find it.

Great hack, btw. Gen II hacks don't please me asthetically, but you did a very good work

Glad you like it! I've been imitating Gen 3 and 4 maps sometimes with custom tiles and color palettes.

The Exp.Share is given by Prof. Oak's aide in Cliff Edge Gate. Although in 3.0 an aide gives it to you earlier near Ecruteak. (Thought this was in the FAQ, but it isn't.)

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    The Exp.Share is given by Prof. Oak's aide in Cliff Edge Gate. Although in 3.0 an aide gives it to you earlier near Ecruteak. (Thought this was in the FAQ, but it isn't.)

Thanks for the awnser! Just to clarify, there's no information about exp share on your FAQ (belive me, I looked 15th times)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    how playable is the current build on github?

i've been itching to go through this game again

I think you can beat the game without any problems (fight Red in Mt. Silver, and what comes after). Some things will be obviously missing or incomplete, including some unobtainable Pokémon.

This is a list of everything that's left to do. Stuff you may notice:

• Battle Tower doesn't work
    • Kanto starters are unobtainable
    • Various maps lack trainers, items, or NPCs, including almost all of Shamouti Island
    • Some held items and abilities do nothing

If you notice any bugs, or even just any details you think could be improved (map layouts, new sprites, whatever), please let me know. Just check the to-do list and reported issues to make sure it's something new.

Edit: The Safari Zone now has a more lush FRLG-based color palette, and staggered trees like the other forests:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    The Safari Zone now has a more lush FRLG-based color palette, and staggered trees like the other forests:

This looks awesome, but how will the Safari Zone work in this game? Will the throw ball/bait/rock functionality be restored, or is it set to be a more traditional forest area where you still battle with your own Pokemon? Also, since you'll already have HM03 by the time you get there, do you have any plans for what should be in the house at the end?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Same as in 2.2.0: there is no Safari Game and no western Area 3. It's just an area for wild Pokémon. If I add the Game back in 4.0, there still won't be some goal at the end, it'll just be a way to use bait and rocks instead of battling. (And it'll let you use Safari Balls, which show up in the status screen.)

Back