• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Ruvaldak

I'M NOT YELLING, I'M JUST PUTTING MAJOR EMPHASIS O
Years
  • So, I've got a suggestion to improve the starting sequence as well as time and day stuff.

On Pokemon Prism, the date selection (which, in the case of polished crystal, is just a day selection) is presented as a table. This would be very neat to see in Polished crystal. Having an actual date is a nice touch, and a starting point for real time events, such as winter-only pokemon or what not.

Secondly is the time selection. I'll post a picture of what this is like in Prism, but I find it a HUGE improvement over stock crystal. It's hard to explain so a picture would be best..

Huge pictures, idk why
    Spoiler:

Edit: I guess I should clarify; Once you choose the month and year, pressing A allows you to select the day. Upon pressing A on the day, you get moved to the time setting. Just the small details that make a great hack even greater

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2023
    Great game Rangi, congratulations.

Could anyone tell me what to do in the Ruins of Alph, in the wall that has WATER written. I tried a few things but nothing seems to work.

Thanks.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Great game Rangi, congratulations.

Could anyone tell me what to do in the Ruins of Alph, in the wall that has WATER written. I tried a few things but nothing seems to work.

Thanks.

Just like in the original Crystal, you need to use a Water Stone on it.

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
    Years
  • I want to make a suggestion for a type change in Parasect...Simply based on the fact of his fateful destiny as a zombie, I mean, he is victim of a mortal symbiosis, just look these pokedex entries:

"A host-parasite pair in which the parasite mushroom has taken over the host bug. Prefers damp places". -Red/Blue Versions

"When nothing's left to extract from the bug, the mushrooms on its back leave spores on the bug's egg". -Crystal Version

Maybe Bug/Dark or something like that...

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Hello! First of all, I apologize for my English because I am Italian.
    I would like to congratulate the work done so far and for the beautiful hack. I would try the hack for the first time when version 3.0 is released, so I do not know if the suggestions I'm going to give will already be taken into consideration or useful.
    1. You can make a pokemon id free by joining Nidoran m and Nidoran f in an id and differentiating sprite like unown and color variation by sex and differentiating gender-based evolution.
    2. For the color variation of Starmie, I thought that the color of the nucleus could be changed as it is said in pokédex (Its 7 colors in the rainbow shine on the rainbow. Some consider it a precious stone.)
    For Ho-oh it's the same thing but with the wings feathers (Tell the legend that this POKéMON tirelessly overtakes the world with gorgeous wings of seven colors.)

These are some good ideas, but unfortunately I don't think they'll work. I can't change Starmie's jewel color independent of its body color, nor Ho-Oh's tail feathers independent of its body. And before resorting to merging the Nidorans—which would have some issues, since their base stats and learnsets are different—I'm trying to make Egg or Cancel not use up a slot. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

Ok so weird bug on latest compile - just listen to "Lyra departs" (song 9) and tell me if that's the intentional sound..

For me it's a high pitched screeching noise with no hint of music...

Fixed it, thanks.

I know they are completely different games, but is it possible to break the Pokedex limit like it was done for Fire Red (Nameless Fire Red) and Emerald (Theta Emerald EX)?

Not until Pokémon have 2-byte IDs, which is nowhere near being completed by anyone.

So, I've got a suggestion to improve the starting sequence as well as time and day stuff.

On Pokemon Prism, the date selection (which, in the case of polished crystal, is just a day selection) is presented as a table. This would be very neat to see in Polished crystal. Having an actual date is a nice touch, and a starting point for real time events, such as winter-only pokemon or what not.

Secondly is the time selection. I'll post a picture of what this is like in Prism, but I find it a HUGE improvement over stock crystal. It's hard to explain so a picture would be best..

Edit: I guess I should clarify; Once you choose the month and year, pressing A allows you to select the day. Upon pressing A on the day, you get moved to the time setting. Just the small details that make a great hack even greater

I won't be adding a calendar until and unless I add monthly/seasonal features to go with it. Otherwise it just seems to promise content that the game doesn't deliver.

I want to make a suggestion for a type change in Parasect...Simply based on the fact of his fateful destiny as a zombie, I mean, he is victim of a mortal symbiosis, just look these pokedex entries:

"A host-parasite pair in which the parasite mushroom has taken over the host bug. Prefers damp places". -Red/Blue Versions

"When nothing's left to extract from the bug, the mushrooms on its back leave spores on the bug's egg". -Crystal Version

Eh, it's already a unique Bug/Grass type. And I've added Dark typing to Meowth/Persian, Grimer/Muk, and Feraligatr. I don't think I would add Dark to any more except maybe a Bug/Dark Ariados. (Would that even be an improvement over Bug/Poison? STAB Poison Jab versus STAB Sucker Punch, trading off a few weaknesses and resistances...)

Last edited:

Tendoman77

Formerly known as "Da Man"
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I want to make a suggestion for a type change in Parasect...Simply based on the fact of his fateful destiny as a zombie, I mean, he is victim of a mortal symbiosis, just look these pokedex entries:

Isn't Bug/Ghost a more common type people have changed Parascet into with other hacks? Think it makes more sense honestly, plus outside the mostly worthless Shedinja I don't think there are any Bug/Ghost type pokemon out there.

And let's be honest, as unique as Parascet's original typing is, its by far one of THE worst ones out there with not one but TWO 4x weaknesses with Fire and Flying, along with quite a few other regular weaknesses I think.

Years
  • Isn't Bug/Ghost a more common type people have changed Parascet into with other hacks? Think it makes more sense honestly, plus outside the mostly worthless Shedinja I don't think there are any Bug/Ghost type pokemon out there.

And let's be honest, as unique as Parascet's original typing is, its by far one of THE worst ones out there with not one but TWO 4x weaknesses with Fire and Flying, along with quite a few other regular weaknesses I think.

I do agree with the above suggestion, as a zombie is not "evil" per se, so Ghost would be a more congruent replacement... Even considering that the mushroom in the sprite keeps suggesting the Grass typing (yes, I know Fungi =/= Plantae).

What I would like to point out is that AFAIK this hack is also meant to be a ROM Base, so typing or moveset changes could be neglected to a secondary priority as the dissasembly code can be manipulated easily for such cases and re-compiled following particular tastes. However it should be noted that if the intention is to keep consistency for METAGAME intentions (battling or even trading online) then the objective must be clear and made explicit to keep the discussion constructive.

Finally I want to suggest that even if the work done by Rangi and FIQ is awesome the more things we keep discussing then would mean an even loger delay to finish major changes, as maybe a top priority issue to address is try to mod or "fix" the way Gen II turn mechanics work, as it was mentioned that the engine messes up with some moves and abilities and that can be proven to be game-breaking. As an example of this just check Pokemon Naturia XY, the bugged turn engine causes bizarre behaviour under both in-game and link battles that makes the game feel unfinished/unpolished (no pun inteded).

Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2024
    Eh, it's already a unique Bug/Grass type. And I've added Dark typing to Meowth/Persian, Grimer/Muk, and Feraligatr. I don't think I would add Dark to any more except maybe a Bug/Dark Ariados. (Would that even be an improvement over Bug/Poison? STAB Poison Jab versus STAB Sucker Punch, trading off a few weaknesses and resistances...)
    Ariados losing it's resistance to Poison would be a bit weird (although it has already happened in the canon games, and could be easily remedied by giving it an interesting HA such as Poison Heal) but it gaining the Dark typing would make it an amazing check to most Psychic types. Bug/Dark Ariados' ability to play mind games (STAB Sucker Punch vs coverage move? Swords Dance vs Reflect? Etc) and having a weakness to Fighting patched up certainly makes it much more interesting and versatile than its Bug/Poison generic counterpart IMO.

While we're talking about retyping would you consider:
    1. adding the Fairy type to Rapidash (and maybe making Ponyta a Fire/Normal mon)? It's a unicorn (which screams fairy tale to me) and PC could really use more physical Fairy type attackers.
    2. changing Slugma/Magcargo's typing to Fire/Bug? It would only have 1 out of 2 horrible 4x weaknesses and does work better as a Fire type as it gets it's 4x weakness to Ground patched up.
    3. making Octillery a Water/Fire mon? Remoraid is based on a revolver (a firegun) and Octillery itself is based on a cannon. It also learns Fire type moves naturally.
    4. turning Ledian into a Bug/Fairy mon? For starters, it's a poor man's Heracross even if's an Adamant one with Iron Fist; I'm aware that it's *meant* to be that way but at least with its new and unique typing it would stay relevant-ish throughout the rest of the game. The Fairy typing comes from its dex entries, which state that it collects energy from the moon and stars (although I'm not sure whether that qualifies a mon as a Fairy tbh).

I do agree with the above suggestion, as a zombie is not "evil" per se, so Ghost would be a more congruent replacement... Even considering that the mushroom in the sprite keeps suggesting the Grass typing (yes, I know Fungi =/= Plantae).
    For starters I do agree with everybody on Bug/Grass being one of the worst typings in the entire game and it being unique doesn't necessarily mean it's useful. However, it makes perfect sense for Paras/Parasect being Bug/Grass mons (whatever bug "Paras" is/the actual parasitical mushroom). I guess that Parasect could become a Ghost/Grass mon as the "bug" is pretty much dead (thus losing it's Bug typing) and it would be nice to have another physical Ghost type attacker as well as another physical Grass attacker.

...but what I would do instead woud be removing Paras/Parasect altogether and replace them with Shuckle and a buffed Delibird (buff Speed and Attack/Special Attack and give it Snow Warning as a HA -a nice welcoming "present"-; plus, there aren't many Ice type mons and none in the roster can be retyped as such). Just sayin' :P

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Ariados losing it's resistance to Poison would be a bit weird (although it has already happened in the canon games, and could be easily remedied by giving it an interesting HA such as Poison Heal) but it gaining the Dark typing would make it an amazing check to most Psychic types. Bug/Dark Ariados' ability to play mind games (STAB Sucker Punch vs coverage move? Swords Dance vs Reflect? Etc) and having a weakness to Fighting patched up certainly makes it much more interesting and versatile than its Bug/Poison generic counterpart IMO.

While we're talking about retyping would you consider:
    1. adding the Fairy type to Rapidash (and maybe making Ponyta a Fire/Normal mon)? It's a unicorn (which screams fairy tale to me) and PC could really use more physical Fairy type attackers.
    2. changing Slugma/Magcargo's typing to Fire/Bug? It would only have 1 out of 2 horrible 4x weaknesses and does work better as a Fire type as it gets it's 4x weakness to Ground patched up.
    3. making Octillery a Water/Fire mon? Remoraid is based on a revolver (a firegun) and Octillery itself is based on a cannon. It also learns Fire type moves naturally.
    4. turning Ledian into a Bug/Fairy mon? For starters, it's a poor man's Heracross even if's an Adamant one with Iron Fist; I'm aware that it's *meant* to be that way but at least with its new and unique typing it would stay relevant-ish throughout the rest of the game. The Fairy typing comes from its dex entries, which state that it collects energy from the moon and stars (although I'm not sure whether that qualifies a mon as a Fairy tbh).

1. Hmm, I don't think so. I'm at least trying to just add/change types of Pok?mon that clearly lack them, and while Fire/Normal and Fire/Fairy don't sound wrong for Ponyta and Rapidash, neither Pok?mon feels like it's lacking something as pure Fire.
    2. Snails are not bugs, and they learn no Bug-type moves. Cool typing though.
    3. I may very well do this. Octillery is one of my favorites, it's red, it learns Flamethrower (I replaced Signal Beam)... then again, nobody says it should be Water/Bug because it learns Signal Beam. Will consider.
    4. ...Maybe. Fighting feels more correct, even if Fairy would be more useful. But, Pinsir and Heracross are both Bug/Fighting in non-Faithful, so maybe.

Have you considered making your own pokecrystal hack? You have good retyping ideas, but some would work better in a game that's not restricted by trying to seem familiar and canon. You could even change sprites and color schemes to match the new types, Alolan form?style. (Heck, do it with Polished Crystal as a base if you want.)

I second Bug/Ghost Parasect, because I love the line for earlier gen playthroughs for Spore access and a usefulness that does not drop off until very late in the game. You could extend Parasect's life even further by giving it a Ghost typing (pun intended). It gains two useful immunities, loses both of its x4 weaknesses in exchange for gaining Dark and Ghost weaknesses, and gets another unique type combination into the game. I could definitely see it gaining Hex, Mean Look, and Shadow Claw as movepool options. A Spore/Hex/Leech Seed/Giga Drain set would be pretty scary, but because he's not very fast and kind of frail it isn't impossible to break through. Hell, if you want to go a little bit deeper into the concept, you might be able to justify giving it Healing Light (Moonlight) and Shadow Ball (weird reverse photosynthesis using the night because zombies? I don't know, I'm rolling with this). Physical set could be Slash/Shadow Claw/Spore/Swords Dance or Leech Seed or Leech Life. Even when Parasect does start to fall behind, its typing and Spore access would make it a great False Swipe Pokemon for catching sprees.

Parasect's stats are really not amazing, and it's hindered by its typing more than it is helped. I definitely believe that dropping Grass and giving it Ghost would be a huge boon to it and make it usable to end game. Its Sp Atk is lower than its attack, but Hex access props it up and can make it a decent drain tank with a high power damaging move when its HP is good. On the physical side, you could set it up to drain tank again with Spore/Leech Seed/Leech Life/Slash or Shadow Claw, or try to Spore and sweep by throwing Swords Dance somewhere on there. The typing and added moves make it much more versatile and less crippled in general.

If this happens, I may have two Bug-types on my next playthrough's team. Dragon Yanmega and Ghost Parasect are both too cool to pass up.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2024
    1. Hmm, I don't think so. I'm at least trying to just add/change types of Pok?mon that clearly lack them, and while Fire/Normal and Fire/Fairy don't sound wrong for Ponyta and Rapidash, neither Pok?mon feels like it's lacking something as pure Fire.
    2. Snails are not bugs, and they learn no Bug-type moves. Cool typing though.
    3. I may very well do this. Octillery is one of my favorites, it's red, it learns Flamethrower (I replaced Signal Beam)... then again, nobody says it should be Water/Bug because it learns Signal Beam. Will consider.
    4. ...Maybe. Fighting feels more correct, even if Fairy would be more useful. But, Pinsir and Heracross are both Bug/Fighting in non-Faithful, so maybe.

Have you considered making your own pokecrystal hack? You have good retyping ideas, but some would work better in a game that's not restricted by trying to seem familiar and canon. You could even change sprites and color schemes to match the new types, Alolan form?style. (Heck, do it with Polished Crystal as a base if you want.)

1. Well, Ponyta is literally a horse with a fire mane (similar to Litleo/Pyroar). It also follows the typing lpgic for Girafarig (although I'm aware you're keen on turning it into a Psychic/Dark mon). Also, it's role as a pure Fire type is already kind of filled by Arcanine and Entei, but then again maybe tbis is just me being pragmatic.
    2.Neither are centipedes yet Scolipede is a Bug/Poison mon. And for that matter Dragonflies aren't reptiles yet we're all cool with Yanmega being a Bug/Dragon in non-faithful. :P
    3. So is mine and I've always been sad that the only thing it had going for itself was Octazooka (which isn't even *that* good of a move anyway). Water/Fire is a pretty badass typing and follows the same retyping logic as Sunflora.
    4. Tbh Bug/Fairy doesn't really synergize that well as they don't cover each others weaknesses whatsoever but more variety is always nice?

Yeah I have; I have been working on my own hack using pret's pokecrystal and studying your code but programming isn't one of my strengths (even my partner, who's a programmer, can't be bothered with disassembly) so I've limited myself to retyping some mons (including Water/Steel Kingler, Grass/Dragon Meganum and Grass/Fairy Bellossom, Rock/Dragon Onix, Steel/Dragon Steelix, Ghost/Flying Noctowl, Psychic/Fairg Celebi among others, all with in-game explanations). I hope to be able to do my own thing eventually, once I've finished the story (which ended up being reminiscent of miksy's Dark Energy) and figured a more balanced mon roster that is suitable to the South America-inspired region (on a more macro scale, unlike Pokemon Sage). Thanks for the encouragement, though; I really appreciate it. :)

Last edited:

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • I second Bug/Ghost Parasect, because I love the line for earlier gen playthroughs for Spore access and a usefulness that does not drop off until very late in the game. You could extend Parasect's life even further by giving it a Ghost typing (pun intended). It gains two useful immunities, loses both of its x4 weaknesses in exchange for gaining Dark and Ghost weaknesses, and gets another unique type combination into the game. I could definitely see it gaining Hex, Mean Look, and Shadow Claw as movepool options. A Spore/Hex/Leech Seed/Giga Drain set would be pretty scary, but because he's not very fast and kind of frail it isn't impossible to break through. Hell, if you want to go a little bit deeper into the concept, you might be able to justify giving it Healing Light (Moonlight) and Shadow Ball (weird reverse photosynthesis using the night because zombies? I don't know, I'm rolling with this). Physical set could be Slash/Shadow Claw/Spore/Swords Dance or Leech Seed or Leech Life. Even when Parasect does start to fall behind, its typing and Spore access would make it a great False Swipe Pokemon for catching sprees.

Parasect's stats are really not amazing, and it's hindered by its typing more than it is helped. I definitely believe that dropping Grass and giving it Ghost would be a huge boon to it and make it usable to end game. Its Sp Atk is lower than its attack, but Hex access props it up and can make it a decent drain tank with a high power damaging move when its HP is good. On the physical side, you could set it up to drain tank again with Spore/Leech Seed/Leech Life/Slash or Shadow Claw, or try to Spore and sweep by throwing Swords Dance somewhere on there. The typing and added moves make it much more versatile and less crippled in general.

If this happens, I may have two Bug-types on my next playthrough's team. Dragon Yanmega and Ghost Parasect are both too cool to pass up.

Wow you just convinced me with your statement. Parasect really needs a buff. 4x weaknesses really hurt it.

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
    Years
  • I like the idea of turn Ponyta and Rapidash Fire/Normal...like Litleo/Pyroar, I mean, I always wanted to see that change for Ponyta...it also look like a Normal type pkm, just look Girafarig, about Parasect, I would be great as a Bug/Ghost, a wonderful up-date for this pkm, Octilery like a Water/Fire it's actually a marvelous idea! Bellossom like a Grass/Fairy pkm it's a good change.

Ican't think in a type change for Magcargo, Fire/Bug does not convince me, the only certain thing is that it really needs a change (to eliminate his actual 2 x4 weaknesses) :)

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    Spoiler:

All of this retyping talk is giving me a nervous disposition. So glad that the faithful patch is a thing, I wouldn't be anywhere near as interested if it wasn't (despite all the other awesome improvements).

All of this retyping talk is giving me a nervous disposition. So glad that the faithful patch is a thing, I wouldn't be anywhere near as interested if it wasn't (despite all the other awesome improvements).

I was the same way until I tried out the non-faithful patch and the changes really made the game fresher. Ordinarily, I'm against type and stat changes, but if the hacker is already set on them and they make sense, I try to give them a chance. And I'm certainly glad I did with Polished Crystal.

Years
  • I can't really see Koffing/Weezing being a Poison/Fire Type.. It doesn't make sense in my mind. Can someone convince me?

I won't try to convince you for the Poison/Fire combo, but that reminde me that in Pokemon Vega Weezing has an evolution with the Poison/Dark typing (Also a Pinsir evo with Bug/Ground, an Arbok Evo with Poison/Steel and a Jynx evolution to match Magmortar/Electivire). But again, maybe some mechanic or game-breaking bugs should be fixed and then a proper Create-A-Pokemon-like process can be discussed based in actual gameplay experience.

Best regards!

Tendoman77

Formerly known as "Da Man"
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Wow glad some are really liking my idea for Bug/Ghost Parascet, hope it does well in the polls enough for the change to become official.

I like to second Rapidash becoming Fire/Fairy myself by the way, the more unique type combinations the better imo plus would give me a great excuse to use it for once.

sonic65101

Johto Champion
    Years
  • The only retyping that really makes sense to me is Celebi being Grass and Fairy-Types. Although Ponyta and Rapidash being both Fire-Type and Normal-Type also makes some sense.

Back