• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Sup folks! I finally got an internet connection so Cygwin could download all the things I needed for the disassembly. Thanks a ton!

I don't wanna be a spoil-wort, but is there a chart to show what DVs fall under which natures? Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2023
    There's this bug for me that apparently corrupts any box other than Box 1.
    For some reason, all other boxes register as having no Pokemon in it, despite
    me just filling up Box 1, and then catching the Sudowoodo. It also makes
    any Pokemon that were in the box disappear. Is there any way to fix this?

Last edited:

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    I've been playing Polished Crystal lately and I've been thinking of something while I've been comparing it to the Spaceworld 1997 Gold/Silver prototype.

A debugging build would be very handy for anyone who wishes to explore around the entire game to test out some features, and being able to walk through walls and of course the player bouncing back if hitting into the map boundaries while running, like in the Spaceworld prototype. Not sure if this has been suggested before, but it's an idea that I was thinking about earlier.

Also the Music Player could be turned into a full Sound Test that can also play sound effects, fanfares and also having the stop, pause and fade out functions within the player could also be really handy from a experimenter's point of view.

A debug build is already available if you compile with the DEBUG flag enabled. It gives you 2 Mew HM slaves, unlocks all HM moves, strips some of the early dialog in the game, among other things like that.

It doesn't have anything like Prism's Debug Menu, though, which sounds like what you're referencing.

Last edited:

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • No offence, but i just wasted evolving my shiny female Pichu that i named after my first female hamsy into Pikachu just to get her to Bill's grandaddy

You should told me that

Anyway yeah she evolved into the all powerful Raichu, can she learn Thunder by level up?

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2024
    Nice to see you back into action, FIQ.

Are there any plans to remove and replace redundant abilities and moves? For instance, Battle Armor, Solid Rock and Insomnia are identical to Shell Armor, Filter and Vital Spirit (sans the latter's out-of-battle effect); and Milk Drink and Softboiled are Recover clones, since they can't be used outside of battle anymore. The first three abilities could be replaced with Tough Claws, Mega Launcher and Corrosion; while MD and SB could be reppaced with Stealth Rock, Trick Room, Wish, Defog (if SR and stackable Spikes are implemented), Taunt, Fake Tears, Snatch, Shell Smash or Draco Meteor.

On a related note:
    • Wrap could be replaced with Infestation (no mon can use STAB Wrap anyway, Bugs could use another low-tier STAB attack; and it can be given to many more mons than Wrap - Dratini could get Whirlpool instead)
    • Rock Throw could be replaced with Smack Down (has more utility, same PP, Power, 10% more accurate but that can be changed; all mons that learn RT can learn SD, many other mons can learn it)
    • Transform can be ditched altogether if Ditto is given Imposter as its only ability (no sane person will waste one of Mew's moveslots, it makes Ditto a lot less unviable and frees up two item slots -or you could make Metal Powder and Quick Powder work even when Ditto's transformed)
    • Splash and Scratch can be ditched for Tackle.

One last thing: can you change Thursday Arthur's reward to Silver Powder? Hard Rock is much easier to find and is done so at a similar stage in the game (while also netting you other valuable items, fossils, etcetera); SP could provide an incentive to keep/use an early-game Bug in the team.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Nice to see you back into action, FIQ.

Are there any plans to remove and replace redundant abilities and moves? For instance, Battle Armor, Solid Rock and Insomnia are identical to Shell Armor, Filter and Vital Spirit (sans the latter's out-of-battle effect); and Milk Drink and Softboiled are Recover clones, since they can't be used outside of battle anymore. The first three abilities could be replaced with Tough Claws, Mega Launcher and Corrosion; while MD and SB could be reppaced with Stealth Rock, Trick Room, Wish, Defog (if SR and stackable Spikes are implemented), Taunt, Fake Tears, Snatch, Shell Smash or Draco Meteor.

On a related note:
    • Wrap could be replaced with Infestation (no mon can use STAB Wrap anyway, Bugs could use another low-tier STAB attack; and it can be given to many more mons than Wrap - Dratini could get Whirlpool instead)
    • Rock Throw could be replaced with Smack Down (has more utility, same PP, Power, 10% more accurate but that can be changed; all mons that learn RT can learn SD, many other mons can learn it)
    • Transform can be ditched altogether if Ditto is given Imposter as its only ability (no sane person will waste one of Mew's moveslots, it makes Ditto a lot less unviable and frees up two item slots -or you could make Metal Powder and Quick Powder work even when Ditto's transformed)
    • Splash and Scratch can be ditched for Tackle.

One last thing: can you change Thursday Arthur's reward to Silver Powder? Hard Rock is much easier to find and is done so at a similar stage in the game (while also netting you other valuable items, fossils, etcetera); SP could provide an incentive to keep/use an early-game Bug in the team.

There are 132 abilities, so there's plenty of room for new ones without removing redundant ones. However, none of the Pokémon in Polished Crystal get Tough Claws, Mega Launcher, or Corrosion. Mega Evolutions for Charizard, Blastoise, and Aerodactyl are not a planned feature either. :P

Milk Drink and Softboiled can be used outside of battle. (Or if not, it's a bug...) And although many single-mon "flavor" moves have been removed (Spider Web, Skull Bash, Cotton Spore, etc, etc), I'd rather keep those.

I'm not a fan of Stealth Rock (why should Rock type specifically get an entry hazard?), and also the available moves have been thoroughly pared down by now. I've tried to balance a good competitive movepool with keeping each species unique, so moves like Splash and Transform aren't going anywhere.

Good point about Hard Rock. I'll consider redistributing the type items.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2024
    There are 132 abilities, so there's plenty of room for new ones without removing redundant ones.
    If there's space then yeah, there's no need to remove the ability clones.

However, none of the Pokémon in Polished Crystal get Tough Claws, Mega Launcher, or Corrosion. Mega Evolutions for Charizard, Blastoise, and Aerodactyl are not a planned feature either. :P
    I'm aware that Mega Evos are not a planned feature (thank goodness); I was just throwing around ideas based on your decision to give some mons (Venusaur, Pidgeot, Gyarados, Gengar, Houndoom, Beedrill; maybe othere?) their Megas' abilities without implementing them.

Milk Drink and Softboiled can be used outside of battle. (Or if not, it's a bug...).
    MD and SB can't be used outside of battle in generation VII (or at least that's what Bulbapedia states).

I'm not a fan of Stealth Rock (why should Rock type specifically get an entry hazard?)
    Neither am I but it's a meta-defining move/hazard (just like Knock Off) and, IMO, a hack that is modernizing gen 2 feels incomplete without it. Again, that's just me. :D

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Spikes already have 3 layers in Polished as of July 31 2017.

While I don't like Stealth Rock myself, I'm not going to stand in the way in case Rangi decides to add it. That being said, it seems that we are in agreement there...

With that aside, there's no move slots left. We (Rangi and I) have discussed the feasibility in implementing a 9th move (and species) bit, increasing the cap to 500+. That's definitely still way off, though, and will not be around for the next release.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Lunar IPS is throwing this error when i patch:

"The file has been patched, but the data in the IPS files appears to be truncated or missaligned..."

I'm using the correct base rom, but somehow the MD5 sums of the patches that I've download (several times to make sure) do not match the ones specified for them in the Github repository.
    Final roms MD5 sum (after patching) do not match with the ones specified in the Github repository either.

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2023
    Hi!
    I have a few bugs to mention that I didn't see reported elsewhere (apologies if they're already known?) I'm on build e1226dd.

1. The Move Deleter either locks up the game with a white screen, or acts as if you selected "Cancel" depending on what move you try to delete.
    2. Getting force-switched (Roar, Whirlwind) crashes the game. Not sure if this happens if you're the one to use them. Doesn't happen with U-Turn.
    3. Lyra sticks around after telling me about Hidden Grottoes instead of leaving; talking to her gives an "Object event" dialogue box.

I did brute-force my way into the Rocket Hideout to skip the Gyarados event, since this is the build where that was broken, if that matters :'D

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2019
    I also am having trouble patching.

Lunar gives an error message back saying the IPS is tuncated or misaligned and the rom won't play once patched.

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2023
    Hello again ^^
    I just wanted to report that Defiant is a little broken; it applies for self debuffs as well. I.e., my Primeape is getting +2 to Attack twice every time it uses Close Combat. I appreciate literally having Goku on my team but yeah :v

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2021
    Managed to beat Red and Green with my lvl 73-79 team. I really liked this hack over the rest, just the original game with improved mechanics and without all the silly over the top stuff the other hacks add.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Defiant (and Competitive) no longer gives stat boosts when stats are lowered as a result of your own actions

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2019
    I also am having trouble patching.

Lunar gives an error message back saying the IPS is tuncated or misaligned and the rom won't play once patched.

I've also been having this issue and found it very strange it's only on this latest page where people are noting patching issues.

I've also found problems using VisualBoyAdvance's auto-IPS loader for it, where as soon as you open the rom with the same name as the IPS, it crashes and closes.

Back