• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game Idea] Pokémon Resilience

If you had to choose among these Pokémon as a starter, which ones would you personnally take?

• Rockruff (Own Tempo) - Fire Fang

Votes: 28 50.9%
  • Phanpy - Bulldoze

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Mareep - Electric Terrain

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Starly - Revenge

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Houndour - Sucker Punch

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Makuhita - Bullet Punch

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2021
    Pokémon Resilience would be a Magiscarf graphic style game (here is his DeviantArt page: https://www.deviantart.com/magiscarf) made entirely on RPG Maker XP with the kit Pokémon Essentials. Inspired by Pokémon Black and White in terms of writing tone, the game includes these features:
    - Every Pokémon from gen 1 to gen 7 can be caught (putting aside the legendaries)
    - Each gyms will now be based on tactical strategies (Trick Room, Hazard Stack, Weather, Status, etc.) instead of the simple monotype.
    - 8 gym leaders with balanced teams that will gradually have IVs, EVs, strategic items and much more as the trainer progress to conserve a challenge
    - A level cap between each gym to keep the player at a certain level
    - The money would no longer be as abundant to avoid abuse and easy fights in general
    - The battle style is automatically and only in Set mode, so you can't just adapt yourself to the upcoming Pokémon by switching before it even put a foot on the stage
    - Semi open-world mechanic so the player can adapt more easily to the challenges he will face by finding the useful NPCs/Pokémon at the right place
    - Side quests system
    - A secondary "money" named credits, similar to the Battle Points in Pokémon will only be obtainable during side quests. These credits would allow the player to buy some rare Pokémon/items that are only available in that way.
    - Completing each step of the Pokédex will now give you interesting rewards if you come back to show your work to Professor August
    - Past generation available moves (such as Defog, Body Slam, Sucker Punch, Vacuum Wave, etc.) will now be buyable as TM somewhere in the game
    - Since shiny Pokémon are kind of worthless in a fangame, you would be able to change your beasts into one of them by some way in the game
    - Alternative starters: Mareep, Makuhita, Houndour, Starly, Rockruff (Own Tempo) and Phanpy. The latter would have a bonus strategic move to start with as well as three of their IVs statistics at the maximum. I chose them for their general effectiveness in terms of statistics and constancy (this includes their level of evolution, their movepool and abilities in fact)

The main plot:
    Spoiler:

Gameplay purpose:
    Spoiler:

Music style:
    Spoiler:

This game development only started recently, so I'm open to every question, commentary or critic :) Thank you for reading this!

Attachments

• Pokémon Resilience
      Capture.PNG
      11.9 KB · Views: 46
    Last edited:
    Years
  • The Gym redesign sounds like fun, amusing ideas :)

On a detail; For starters; Maybe consider;
    Timburr.

Edit:
    If in-battle-healing is available, Hariyama will be a welcomed pokemon. But I believe the makuhita starter needs a theme background to be more appealing. Pirate theme maybe? With an encumbering loot-sack /knit-sack of various healing goods poking out as he carries it/puts it down.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2021
    Hi, thanks for that kind comment :)
    I've already thought about Timburr as a starter but there was a lot of things that I didn't like with it
    You would prefer this one over Makuhita I guess?

chococharizard0

Project Creator for Pokemon Nought and Cross versi
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 10, 2022
    Really like the idea of Gyms being updated to be more of a challenge, and a reward system for side-quests in a Pokemon game both sound like fresh awesome ideas. Does the semi-open world mechanic work similarly to the Wild Area in SW/SH?

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2021
    Really like the idea of Gyms being updated to be more of a challenge, and a reward system for side-quests in a Pokemon game both sound like fresh awesome ideas. Does the semi-open world mechanic work similarly to the Wild Area in SW/SH?

Thank you for these words :) It indeed does in some ways, wild Pokémon would be sometimes (but not that often for obvious reasons lol) at higher levels than where the player is and they wouldn't be capturable if your level cap does not put it within capture range. On the other hand, you won't meet wild roaming Pokémon that will chase you or vice versa. However, there is a zone in particular where I put strong roaming Pokémon that gives a lot of exp for the grinding if necessary, later in the game. They can't be captured tho. In fact, I like this semi open-world idea for a lot of reasons:
    - Prevent the player to get some specific races of Pokémon that could be too strong at some point
    - Feat well with my universe where the Pokémon are actually a threat and need to be control
    - Adds a challenge in the exploration since trainers, depending on their patterns, can always be avoided. You would have to make choices: "Should I take the chance to sneak around those trainers even tho my Pokémon are low life and in need to make economies in terms of resources or should I pass by the herbs to do not face them at all but risking to meet some powerful monsters in there?" for example!

This is still experimental and all tho. For now, the idea looks decent on paper but I will need to test in-game to see how it goes haha

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2021
    The Gym redesign sounds like fun, amusing ideas :)

On a detail; For starters; Maybe consider;
    Timburr.

Edit:
    If in-battle-healing is available, Hariyama will be a welcomed pokemon. But I believe the makuhita starter needs a theme background to be more appealing. Pirate theme maybe? With an encumbering loot-sack /knit-sack of various healing goods poking out as he carries it/puts it down.

Yes, healing items will be allowed in battles, they just won't be as abundant as in the Pokémon core series games. I'm not sure to understand your point on Makuhita however, GF has created much worse starters, and to be fair, beauty is subjective. I don't think I will change anything on Makuhita. Actually, how Timburr, for example, is more appealing than it? (since you recommended it haha) I know that the cute starters are preferred if I refer myself to the poll but it doesn't make the others less interesting during an adventure hopefully, so don't worry about that :)

Years
  • Explaination: Timburr by contrast would have had a competetive appeal through 'Drain Punch' and ability 'Guts'.
    But with access to healing, Makuhita makes a great starter through defense-stat spread & the move Bullet Punch, its a robust choice

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2021
    Explaination: Timburr by contrast would have had a competetive appeal through 'Drain Punch' and ability 'Guts'.
    But with access to healing, Makuhita makes a great starter through defense-stat spread & the move Bullet Punch, its a robust choice

Indeed, this Pokémon has always been a top tier since gen 5, but after a lot of tests, I've come to the conclusion that it was way too powerful as a starter and would probably unbalance the difficulty at some point. Hopefully, if there are people who prefer this mon over Makuhita and wanna change the FIghting type in their team for Timburr for example, they will be able to have somewhere in the game at the right time. Thank you for your comment!

Years
  • Its good of you to have thought it through, so well.
    If anything, maybe there is a 'writer's collective' on some forum to share various story ideas and writing methods with for yourself. Maybe it can lead to further veriety within the themes as the player progress.
    Good Luck

Years
  • This seems really well thought out. I like your idea for shaking up the gym challenge and starters. I'm curious, how would the rival work? Would you have one at all? It would be interesting to see what team they would have with those starter options.

Years
  • This seems like a really ambitious and well thought out idea! I have 2 questions though: Due to the semi-open world, this would maybe allow for people to grind side quests and get rare items relatively early in-game, do you have a plan around that? Also, how will the level cap work? No exp gained above a certain lvl or do they become disobedient like traded pokemon?

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2023
    you have good ideas. about the starters, they seem too weak.
    if the battle are harder, players will need something better than a starly. you can even give them a pseudo legendary like Gible or Larvitar, or just.. regular starters. you can choose a specific set, or mix them up. like 3 "lizard starters" : charmander, treecko & totodile. 3 bird starters: torchic, piplup & rowlet..

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2021
    This seems really well thought out. I like your idea for shaking up the gym challenge and starters. I'm curious, how would the rival work? Would you have one at all? It would be interesting to see what team they would have with those starter options.

Hey! Sorry for the late answer, I was quite busy lately but thank you for your comment :) For the rival part, it's gonna be special. You will have four "opponents" to face during your journey. It seems like a lot but I can ensure you that they will all be pertinent in their own way. As I said in my speech, the starters that are offered to the MC are exclusive to Professor August and the army. So your rivals are not gonna have any starters in common with you. Your rivals are not really gonna face you at each badge that you get and fellow you in your race to collect them, except for one. For the others, you will have to do some sidequests to eventually unlock some battles with them. Each time you succeed to win, you unlock a dialogue with the character that develops your relationship with it. For example, let me introduce one of them to you quickly:

Tory:
    Spoiler:

So yeah, that's the kind of rival you will get in my game. I didn't want to spoil too much with Tory so I just said the most important parts of the story for her x) I like having well-written rivals who evolve as the game progresses. It increases the player's feeling of progress and the fact that these actions bring a lot to those around the MC. You don't necessarily need jerk or douche rivals like some might say in my opinion :) If the character has substance and succeed to create a feeling of attachment with the person who plays my game, I think it's clearly enough (Hugh and N in BW/BW2 are good examples of that).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2021
    This seems like a really ambitious and well thought out idea! I have 2 questions though: Due to the semi-open world, this would maybe allow for people to grind side quests and get rare items relatively early in-game, do you have a plan around that? Also, how will the level cap work? No exp gained above a certain lvl or do they become disobedient like traded pokemon?
    Hi my friend, thank you for your comment! To answer you, I would allow only a certain amount of quests per badge! If you ever want to do more, you would have to continue the main story for that :) It's to balance the difficulty curve. For the level cap, it's gonna be like this: once you reached the said level, you won't gain any exp. I hate the other option because your Pokémon can just level up during a battle and therefore bypass the allowed level. That would lead to some stupid situation where you can't put you Pokémon to their maximum level just in case they level in-game and stop to obey you. It's only about RNG and I hate it. Also, once you've bypassed the level cap, you can't go back with it... So the Pokémon becomes useless until you defeated the gym, which is totally dumb to me. Have you played Pokémon Rejuvenation? It was exactly like that in this game and it was horrible lmao, hopefully, they changed it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2021
    you have good ideas. about the starters, they seem too weak.
    if the battle are harder, players will need something better than a starly. you can even give them a pseudo legendary like Gible or Larvitar, or just.. regular starters. you can choose a specific set, or mix them up. like 3 "lizard starters" : charmander, treecko & totodile. 3 bird starters: torchic, piplup & rowlet..

Nope, if I give you these starters, there is a reason. As I said for example: "I chose them for their general effectiveness in terms of statistics and constancy (this includes their level of evolution, their movepool and abilities in fact)". They all are solid mons that can always give you an advantage against my gyms and strong trainers. You do realize that the game will be hard, but also as I said, balanced? I don't give starters that don't do anything in battle, that would be totally stupid in terms of game design. If my gyms and trainers are too strong for them, then it's entirely my fault! I would rebalance the whole game. There is reasons for why I don't give official starters to the players:

1) It destabilizes the veteran player and sends a clear message "you are not playing a Pokémon game that takes itself for a Pokémon Game Freak game. You are playing my version and personal vision of the license." I see a lot of persons criticizing some fanmade games cause they are too "far away from what a real Pokémon game would be". The thing is, I don't really care haha. I just want my game to be enjoyable. If a game is fun, who cares then? It's not everyone who has the purpose to make a Pokémon game like Masuda and all would do, not at all... And I don't think it makes the game bad for doing that in my opinion.

2) Some of the starters are completely broken or either completely trash... Torchic? Totodile? They are super solid and probably way too much. Chikorita? Pretty much useless, not the worst Grass type but like, it has more disadvantages to keep it than benefits. Official starters would totally unbalance the difficulty curve of my game and this is something I don't want. This is why I also give alternative starters. Those that I chose are not useless in battle (I would say they are pretty good in fact) and yet not too broken. So this is a good compromise. Anyway, this is also why I put 6 of them because I already knew that people wouldn't like Makuhita for example. So if my alternative starters are too bad for your taste, you have other choices, and if it's still not good enough for you, you will be able anyway to catch/find the official starters in the game, so no worries with that.

Also, why semi legendaries? You do realize that they suck a lot until they reach their final form? Which is not available for them until the level 55-60 for the majority ;-; So no, they would make horrible starters in fact. They could be too overpowering in the end game anyway so that's a big no from me. Thank you for your comment though :) It's really appreciated to have feedback!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2023
    I agree Blaziken is too strong, with speed boost especially.
    but in general, the starters are balanced. their moves and stats and evolution level were designed to make them strong, but not over powered. when you pick random pokemon to be starters, you'll find yourself constantly editing their stats/moves/abilities, to the point that they're not even the same pokemon. rockruff, for example, will be too strong just because it's Rock type.
    you can work around that, but most pokemon in early game will use normal type moves. and not sure if you're giving the starters those moves at lv.5, but if you do, phanpy with Bulldoze and Rollout will not care about your difficulty curv, it'll sweep through everything. there's a reason geodude was made so weak, and ground types aren't available in early-game: not many pokemon resist both ground and rock. there's only Bronzor with levitate, Torterra and Ferroseed, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hi my friend, thank you for your comment! To answer you, I would allow only a certain amount of quests per badge! If you ever want to do more, you would have to continue the main story for that :) It's to balance the difficulty curb. For the level cap, it's gonna be like this: once you reached the said level, you won't gain any exp. I hate the other option because your Pokémon can just level up during a battle and therefore bypass the allowed level. That would lead to some stupid situation where you can't put you Pokémon to their maximum level just in case they level in-game and stop to obey you. It's only about RNG and I hate it. Also, once you've bypassed the level cap, you can't go back with it... So the Pokémon becomes useless until you defeated the gym, which is totally dumb to me. Have you played Pokémon Rejuvenation? It was exactly like that in this game and it was horrible lmao, hopefully, they changed it.
    Ah that all makes sense! Indeed the disobedience is not a fun mechanic, too much RNG for my taste as well. How you describe the quest system eliminates my worries about it. Good luck coding everything and working on this awesome looking project!

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2021
    I agree Blaziken is too strong, with speed boost especially.
    but in general, the starters are balanced. their moves and stats and evolution level were designed to make them strong, but not over powered. when you pick random pokemon to be starters, you'll find yourself constantly editing their stats/moves/abilities, to the point that they're not even the same pokemon. rockruff, for example, will be too strong just because it's Rock type.
    you can work around that, but most pokemon in early game will use normal type moves. and not sure if you're giving the starters those moves at lv.5, but if you do, phanpy with Bulldoze and Rollout will not care about your difficulty curv, it'll sweep through everything. there's a reason geodude was made so weak, and ground types aren't available in early-game: not many pokemon resist both ground and rock. there's only Bronzor with levitate, Torterra and Ferroseed, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah in general they are, but most of them are not to be fair. I talked about Blaziken, but Greninja, Serperior, and all wouldn't be overpowered too? I wouldn't be so sure if I was you. I do have one question for you, why is editing the stats/moves/abilities of a starter during the game is a bad thing? I don't think you get the idea that I was trying to explain in my "gameplay purpose". Unless you're clever enough to find a way out for every gym or trainer at your first tries, you will have to travel so you can farm, capture, and search for items since it's a semi-open world. It's part of my game to make you look for a better/different team during the story and all in order to succeed. Normally, you won't be able to beat my game by simply spamming the same technics and/or Pokémon. I don't see how it is coherent to give you a starter that is self-sufficient and allows you to have a solid matchup against every NPC pretty much. That's not balanced at all and makes a bit easy the game as a whole (in addition to comfort veterans in their past Pokémon experience and contradict what I said about not wanting to take the same path as what Game Freak does with their game). It's the kind of Pokémon to give later to a player in my opinion. Actually, the starters that I give are here to be as good as the official starters are, which means strong and with a bonus move that makes them solid options to keep with you during the whole game. Again, you will still be able to capture/find starters somewhere else anyway. For example, the forest that I am developing currently next to the town where the player will spawn has a rare chance to make you meet a Treecko :)

So, Rockruff would be too strong in the early game? Again, you're sure? Are we talking about the same glass canon dog that will most of the time, get 2 or 3HKO by opponent's moves if I give them something else than some trash Rattata or Caterpie? The potential demo of my game wouldn't contain such ridiculous trainers (or at least, not too many I guess). Pokémon that only or mostly use Normal-type moves are not that numerous anymore, we're no longer in gen 1 or 2 x) Since there are now more than 800 species, I can easily adapt the enemies by giving them varied but adapted+weak Pokémon that would be perfect for a balanced difficulty but still easy to bypass overall. After all, it would only be the first steps in the game, I don't see how it's a bad thing to beat quickly the first trainers... You need the experience and the money since you have literally nothing when you start. Also, Rockruff doesn't learn anything incredible in terms of moves. It gets only Tackle and Bite until level 15 for the first STAB. That's pretty much reasonable for me, especially if you take in count that its Rock-type "resistance advantage" is compensated by its poor bulk.

For the Phanpy part, there is a reason behind those decisions of course. Bulldoze will be your only Ground move until you evolve into Donphan and reach level 30 for Magnitude... That's long as hell lmao and Magnitude is not even that viable. Also, Phanpy doesn't learn ANYTHING. Rollout is the only other "interesting" offensive move. It wouldn't make any sense to do not give it Bulldoze then. This is the most balanced move that I could give to it until the player finds something better to be fair. This attack is not that powerful but reduces speed for the support, so it's good enough for a starter. And no, Phanpy wouldn't sweep everything and ruins the difficulty curve. You were talking about type advantages in your comment. Remember that in every beginning zone, people use a lot of Flying, Bug, and Grass types Pokémon? Those three types don't really care about Bulldoze since they resist/immune. And Rollout+Bulldoze, too strong? We're not talking about Whitney's Miltank :p This combo is really not that great at all. Being locked in no STABed Rollout can become quickly annoying since it doesn't even do at first enough damage to OHKO Flying and Bug types Pokémon that resist Bulldoze for example. This means that those same Bug/Flying-type could still abuse you and weaken you. You would then need to heal your Phanpy, but since money will not be as abundant as in the main Pokémon series, spamming Potions to win is not an option at all. Be reassured, my first gym won't be swept that easily by that single Pokémon. You will have to work out your brain before that!

I hope I was clear enough haha

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2021
    Ah that all makes sense! Indeed the disobedience is not a fun mechanic, too much RNG for my taste as well. How you describe the quest system eliminates my worries about it. Good luck coding everything and working on this awesome looking project!
    Yeah haha, I just took inspiration on how most of MMO's work now. Every quest pretty much is available but sometimes, you need something specific to unlock them. Most of the time, it's a higher level that is needed. So you just replace the levels by the badges and boom ez :) Since it will be based on the progression of the badge collection from the MC, I can easily adapt the rewards and the difficulty based on that! That's the smartest way to proceed I would say. Thank you again for your interest and cheer, I hope to come out with a demo soon. So far, I am working with a talented musician name Campbell Flood and we're making so much cool stuff! Would you guys be interested in seeing some of the track that we have so far? They are Pokémon fanmade pieces of music of course.

Back