• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Run & Bun (v1.07)

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2023
    After getting surf, i went east of Mauville City and I found Steven. I had a small conversation like 2 or 3 messages and he is frozen.
    https://imgur.com/bYcstsH

If I remember correctly, he is suppose to leave after talking with you but he is just there and if I try to talk with him nothing happens. Is it a bug or is it intended?

This was a bug in the first releases, we have it fixed since 1.02. If you get the newest patch, your .sav will still be compatible. Unfortunately, after you're past this point, updating won't move Steven, but we have had many bug fixes since then so I would still recommend updating.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I've played so many of these kind of hacks but I think I'll have to try this one. It looks fun.

Is there a way to change IVs or natures? Also, can TMs be obtained more than once if they can only be used once?

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2023
    Hi! Been playing this ROM, right now just before Norman, I love it! Problem is I kind of f***'d up de save file with pkhax, is there a way to enable debug mode?

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2023
    I've played so many of these kind of hacks but I think I'll have to try this one. It looks fun.

Is there a way to change IVs or natures? Also, can TMs be obtained more than once if they can only be used once?

I hope you have a good time. IV and nature changing is possible, but it costs Heart Scales, which is a limited resource. Same with the TMs, they are meant to be a limited resource. Later in the game a few TMs can be obtained infinitely at the Lilycove Department Store, but mostly they're all intenred to be a one time resource.

Hi! Been playing this ROM, right now just before Norman, I love it! Problem is I kind of f***'d up de save file with pkhax, is there a way to enable debug mode?

I'm sorry to hear that, PKHaX is not really compatible and I would not recommend using is it at all with this game, but I guess you already know that. No way to enable debug, afraid you're out of luck.

We just released a new update, now at 1.05.

Version 1.05 Changelog
    - Fixed Mega Evolution timing.
    - Ported move animations from CFRU for Dual Wingbeat, Skitter Smack, Spirit Break, False Surrender, Expanding Force, Steel Roller, Scale Shot, Meteor Beam, Misty Explosion, Grassy Glide, Rising Voltage, Burning Jealousy, Lash Out, Coaching, Flip Turn, Triple Axel, Scorching Sands, Wicked Blow, Surging Strikes, Freezing Glare, Fiery Wrath, Thunderous Kick, Glacial Lance (credits to ghoulslash and Skeli).
    - Ported correct Dragon Darts implementation from CFRU (credits to Buffel and Skeli).
    - Fixed a bug where Red Card wouldn't get removed if it sent out an Intimidate Pokémon.
    - Added missing cries to PLA Pokémon and fixed some Pokémon having the wrong cry.
    - Fixed a bug where physical fire moves wouldn't thaw out a frozen Pokémon.
    - Fixed a bug that prevented Quilava and Tyrunt from evolving.
    - Fixed collision issues on Route 111 and Granite Cave.
    - Fixed issue with Fisherman Barny position that allowed the player to be on top of him.
    - Fixed issue with Sailor NPC in Lilycove having wrong dialogue assigned to.
    - Fixed capitalization issue with the Move Tutor at Weather Institute.
    - Fixed issue that made Relic items unsellable.
    - Made Honey Gather guaranteed to work after a battle, Honey is now unsellable.
    - Removed Corrosive Gas from learnsets as it is not implemented.
    - Fixed an issue where Pokémon that had moves such as U-turn would sometimes go for random moves.
    - Fixed an issue where Solar Beam would not get used outside of sun, causing the AI to go for random moves.
    - Fixed an issue where moves that have a chance to lower speed would sometimes get used when they shouldn't.
    - Fixed an issues where Destiny Bond and Dream Eeater were used too frequently.

Edit:
    Emergency 1.06 patch, download link updated on OP

Version 1.06 Changelog
    - Fixed Shell Smash animation freezing the game.

That's it, my bad for that one :(

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2023
    It's been a bit since I've played the game, and have only beaten the 4th gym as of yet, so take my ramble review with a grain of salt.

A bit of a prelude about my own ability at pokemon games before I begin. I can beat the hard modes of games like Inclement Emerald, R.O.W.E and Inflamed red quite handily, but struggle with the hardest difficulties of Unbound and Radical Red, but have beaten them one difficulty below their hardest. That being said, Run&Bun is very firmly in a difficulty level above the latter too- if I had to place it, it would be at par with Kaizo romhacks like Emerald Kaizo. Nearly every trainer with 3-6 strong pokemon and are nigh miniboss-level that require some amount of preparation, and bosses are immensely difficult, and would warrant you needing to stare at your box for a solid 10 minutes or so to try and come up with a way to guarantee a victory.

Another thing that sets this game apart from the majority of romhacks that I listed above is that the QOL present is....well, questionable. A lot of things that are taken for granted in most romhacks, like infinite TMs, easy availability to really strong mons by the midgame, or farmable consumables to minmax stats (perfect natures/IVs/egg moves etc.) are notably absent here. This seems to be by design, because the developer intends the player to have to make tough,irreversible decisions with limited resources, and while I certainly appreciate that vision, such a style of game very much caters to a specific style of player,one that relishes this roguelike-esque challenge, a category I'm not sure I fall in.

It genuinely feels like the game is balanced around the player actively making use of almost all available resources, like trainer documentation, damage calculators and post-KO switch-in logic. Despite these tools being genuinely well crafted, and being easy and intuitive to use, it requires quite an amount of patience and planning- a proper "2-3 hour gaming session" to use cliches, instead of just clearing a gym or gauntlet, say, while sitting on the toilet or commuting.

Another notable point to make about some of the battles- they are far more akin to puzzles than traditional turn based battles. Many of them use niche gimmicks and strategies that you will most likely lose to unless you're prepared.
    Spoiler:
    These are quite creative and fun to solve,and also shed some light on the rarely seen parts of pokemon's extensive battle system that people wouldn't otherwise see.

All that being said, while i appreciate the game and all its unique takes on challenging the player, i personally felt the difficulty was a bit too much for me, losing 10+ times to some bosses before edging out the narrowest of wins, probably because of some damage rolls swinging in my favour. Could that have been avoided had I planned better and made better pivots and positionings? Absolutely. But that's a level of dedication that I personally do not wish to put into the game. At the end of the day, if you're someone who enjoys a hard challenge, pouring through documentation and staring at the calculator for dozens of minutes before each battle, then this romhack will certainly take your fancy. However, for lesser players like me, who play these games to kill time or just to have some relatively mindless fun with our favourites, this one might just be one to look past and enjoy via watching others play.

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
    Years
  • So I've given this ROM hack a shot, and I have to admit- It's not fun at all.

-The level caps are way too harsh. I mean, Lvl 12 as the first cap?
    -No items in battle.
    -Permanent Set mode.
    -Attract working on Pokemon of the same gender.
    -YOU GAVE MAGIKARP ACTUAL MOVES. WTF?!

Honestly, this ROM hack's difficulty is best described as "Just because you can, doesnt mean you should". Not everything needs to be Kaizo difficult, but alot of ROM hack creators seem to think that's the way to go. I just dont think I can recommend anyone to play this hack.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2023
    Hey, dekzeh, dude, why haven't you implemented the auto-run feature? But other emerald decompilation hacks, which I'd played, have the auto-run feature. So how to get bikes to go further to Mauville City? Are the bikes are prices of the Battle Tents or what? Though, you'll get the bikes after beating Brawly, right? Why are Brawly Pokemon stronger and speedy, than mine? Also, why is impossible to use the healing items, during the battles? I lost to Brawly 5-6 times in the fucking row. Even if i had the advantaget team of pokemon

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2023
    How do I evolve pokemon that need to be traded in order to evolve? Such as geodude and the like. Is there a character in game that does trade backs, or a item like the link cables in other games? Or do I unfortunately have to trade with real people online?
    Edit: I found it on the Google drive recources under evolution methods/abilities so nvm.
    Tyvm anyways this game has been very fun

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen Sep 15, 2023
    Hey dekzeh,

I've been playing this hack for a while now (just got past cycling road May, she was a nightmare) and it's pretty fun so far. But it's kind of tedious when you have to go back to the Pokecenter to heal and prepare for every trainer. Could we get something like a portable PC to fix this?

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2023
    Hi all,
    Anyone encountered an early game glitch where when I take the boat to dewford it takes me straight into trees and I am hard locked and cannot move?

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2023
    Currently past Norman and in the dessert and enjoying the dificulty. 1 question, I could't find anything in the documentation about ability pills and patches. is it possible to gain the hidden ability for certain pokemon? On top of that I couldn't find anything about the eviolite, toxic orb or flame orb. Are these items not availlable?

Days
    • Seen Aug 28, 2023
    I just beat Norman and I'm doing the game mostly blind without looking at the sheets or docs but I just realized that Ursaluna can have guts. I already taught Facade to mine but it has Unnerve. Is there anyway to change abilities in this game?

Back