• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    Your rom has something that bugs in haldhelds like rg350 pocket go etc.. Tkim posted He removed this so his version works normal.. I Saw in his log from unnoficial. But its ok. If i encounter lots of wild The music bugs and The game freeze.
    Now that's some detail I can appreciate, thanks for that! There was a previous person who said that the game froze due to a particular inclusion in the hack, which prompted tkim to remove an optimization from the hack. I don't think that user ever said what exactly happened that caused issues, just that it did cause issues. The music bugging out from lots of random encounters, though? That's gold. I'll check it out in mGBA and see if I can confirm things on my end.

Just out of curiosity, you said that this was with mGBA. Is the mGBA core that's used on the RG350 the same as mainline mGBA?

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Now that's some detail I can appreciate, thanks for that! There was a previous person who said that the game froze due to a particular inclusion in the hack, which prompted tkim to remove an optimization from the hack. I don't think that user ever said what exactly happened that caused issues, just that it did cause issues. The music bugging out from lots of random encounters, though? That's gold. I'll check it out in mGBA and see if I can confirm things on my end.

Just out of curiosity, you said that this was with mGBA. Is the mGBA core that's used on the RG350 the same as mainline mGBA?

Yeah i think so.. The emulator is called regba (based on gpsp)

*** you could start working in a emerald perfect edition.. Like throwback.. I really want a real game with improvments and full events avaliable.. For now firered is ok i think. Trust me 90% of this fórum want a good emerald. But none in this fórum is like throwback fearures.

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    Yeah i think so.. The emulator is called regba (based on gpsp)
    regba? gpSP? I thought you said you were using a fork of mGBA. I'm confused again.

I'm trying my best to replicate this issue, but I'm getting nowhere with it. I wonder if that issue might be related to how the game stores encounters in memory. If it's to do with how the emulator handles that kind of situation, then I could see it being more problematic in less-accurate emulators.

What music do you use, original or GB Sounds? What location were you doing all of these battles? And how many would you say it took in that area for problems to arise?
    you could start working in a emerald perfect edition.. Like throwback.. I really want a real game with improvments and full events avaliable.. For now firered is ok i think. Trust me 90% of this fórum want a good emerald. But none in this fórum is like throwback fearures.
    An Emerald hack is something I've been thinking about lately, and I want to make good on my admittedly-premature announcement on it. However, I don't want to do anything regarding that until I at least get things settled with Throwback, particularly the buggy Celebi situation.

I do think you're selling the various Emerald improvement hacks already out there quite short, though. They all seem to do a great job at what they're going for. Whether it be a sort of player-conscious take that Emerald Final has, or the more spruced-up and out-there improvements of CosmicEmerald, it's a field that's already pretty well represented.

Last edited:

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    regba? gpSP? I thought you said you were using a fork of mGBA. I'm confused again.

I'm trying my best to replicate this issue, but I'm getting nowhere with it. I wonder if that issue might be related to how the game stores encounters in memory. If it's to do with how the emulator handles that kind of situation, then I could see it being more problematic in less-accurate emulators.

What music do you use, original or GB Sounds? What location were you doing all of these battles? And how many would you say it took in that area for problems to arise?

An Emerald hack is something I've been thinking about lately, and I want to make good on my admittedly-premature announcement on it. However, I don't want to do anything regarding that until I at least get things settled with Throwback, particularly the buggy Celebi situation.

I do think you're selling the various Emerald improvement hacks already out there quite short, though. They all seem to do a great job at what they're going for. Whether it be a sort of player-conscious take that Emerald Final has, or the more spruced-up and out-there improvements of CosmicEmerald, it's a field that's already pretty well represented.

The name of the emulator is regba.. It is based on mgba. Jus The name is different. If u Google regba i Will find it.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    v200530 Bug Fix Update

Happy... ah, whatever.

I can't pretend that things are happy right now. What I can do, though, is help provide a sort of outlet and escape from the horrors of the real world.

I'd taken an informal break on Throwback until recently. There's been several reported bugs that have been... bugging me, though. As such, I've made a bugfix release today. The most flagrant of all was players unable to obtain Celebi through the means I introduced in the hack. As it turns out, I made a massive oversight in creating that event. I'm terribly sorry for that happening, everyone! No save compatibility patch necessary, the only thing you'll need to do is leave Berry Forest (if you're currently saved there) and return to it. Beyond that, there was also a scripting oversight regarding your progress in the overarching Sevii Islands quest. That's been fixed, too, along with some lingering decapitalization errors in the full patch.

Well, I guess the "full" status of the main patch now comes with an asterisk, too. After receiving valuable input from multiple users, I've decided to decouple the learnset changes from the hack itself. This means that neither the full Throwback patch nor the Extras patch include any level-up or Egg learnset changes anymore. They have instead been relegated to their own separate patch in the "Individual Patches" folder. If you still want to use them after updating, be sure to apply that patch to your ROM along with either the main patch or whatever combination of patches you normally use.

I hope you all enjoy the new update, and stay strong. We'll find a way to overcome this.

Changelog

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Finally beat the e4!

Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

It took me forever, because grinding for the e4 was so boring and I got distracted for several weeks. I admit, the team isn't the most exciting either, so that didn't help. I shortly considered trying for a lucky egg, but then figured I'd be level 50 on my team way before I would get one.

The hack, however, was great. I absolutely love how trade evos are implemented in this, really trading them feels so natural. I barely started exploring the sevii isles yet, so I have some adventures ahead.
    This was also the only hack/game where I found a full odds shiny in recent years. Too bad it was a clefairy, I'm not a fan of green ears.

I used this tool to add the PSS (including icons), can't remember where I found the link, in some thread here somewhere probably. I loved the moves patch and I'll continue to use it with the latest update as well.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    Finally beat the e4!

It took me forever, because grinding for the e4 was so boring and I got distracted for several weeks. I admit, the team isn't the most exciting either, so that didn't help. I shortly considered trying for a lucky egg, but then figured I'd be level 50 on my team way before I would get one.
    Congrats! That isn't a boring team at all. If anything, having an unconventional choice like Farfetch'd makes it pretty interesting. Sorry if any part of the game felt grindy, JRPGs have a tendency to do that.

As things currently are, trying to get a Lucky Egg is madness. Someone in the Discord server worked out the odds, and they are really not in your favor. Depending on your point of view, it's nearly as likely as encountering a Shiny... or even worse. Running into a Chansey (no more than a 5% chance) that's holding a Lucky Egg (5% chance in itself) and actually catching it in the Safari Zone (4.9% base catch rate) is a Herculean feat in luck.

I might do something about getting a Lucky Egg in the next update.
    The hack, however, was great. I absolutely love how trade evos are implemented in this, really trading them feels so natural. I barely started exploring the sevii isles yet, so I have some adventures ahead.
    This was also the only hack/game where I found a full odds shiny in recent years. Too bad it was a clefairy, I'm not a fan of green ears.

I used this tool to add the PSS (including icons), can't remember where I found the link, in some thread here somewhere probably. I loved the moves patch and I'll continue to use it with the latest update as well.
    Would you look at that! Your Lucky Egg moment happened... for a more "interesting" encounter. At least you got shiny clout. Nobody can take that away from you.

Haven't seen that online tool before. Certainly a different way of offering the most popular game modifications. Thanks for the compliments on the trade evolution solution. It's something I'm thrilled at being able to add to the hack in the way that I did. Also happy you enjoy the move updates. I'll keep supporting them from now and through any big overhaul I have in distributing Throwback.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Farfetch'd is one of my favorite early gen HM slaves, with Fly and Cut and False Swipe. Since this cutie was from a trade, it also wasn't too hard to have him keep up in levels.

As things currently are, trying to get a Lucky Egg is madness. Someone in the Discord server worked out the odds, and they are really not in your favor. Depending on your point of view, it's nearly as likely as encountering a Shiny... or even worse. Running into a Chansey (no more than a 5% chance) that's holding a Lucky Egg (5% chance in itself) and actually catching it in the Safari Zone (4.9% base catch rate) is a Herculean feat in luck.

Well if I had started that hypothetical search and found a hypothetical Chansey there is a not so small chance I would have just abused savestates to make sure I get it. Even then, 5% item chance on a rare mon, in a game without Compound Eyes effect, ain't fun.

Still, grinding with the Vs Seeker wasn't as bad (I'm mostly just incredibly lazy, tbh) and now thanks to that I am rich enough to buy all the repel I could ever need. Time to go hunt some legendaries :D

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    I was originally going to put out an update today, but it's not ready. I'm sorry about that. I've been unable to work on it as quickly as I would have originally due to everything going on right now. It's just been overwhelming. Expect an update next Thursday, should things not get out of hand for one reason or another.

I also have reservations about myself saying that I wanted the last update to serve as a form of escapism. The injustice occurring in our society cannot and should not be ignored. This hack is trivial in the grand scheme of things. Escaping the reality of our situation is convenient and can help with mental fatigue. But we have to confront the problem head-on and demand better, otherwise nothing will change. We also need to be better as people and expect better out of ourselves.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    v200611 Update Now Available

Throwback Thursday Is Here Again!

It took a little longer than I thought it would, but I got a feature update out for y'all now. I'm looking to refine item placements and usage with this one. Any and all noteworthy items that are available in Gen III can now be had in Throwback! I've placed the Choice Band and Shell Bell in certain spots in the game. You now get a Premier Ball every time you purchase at least 10 Poké Balls from a vendor. Don't know why it's taken this long for me to get this in the hack. Finally, I've moved around a load of other items, including all of the flutes and various held items. You can also now get a guaranteed Lucky Egg and Dragon Fang, both of which were previously absurdly difficult to obtain due to low odds with rare Safari Zone Pokémon. If you want details on where each of these items are now available in the hack, look at the "Newly-Added Items.txt" file that's now included in the download!

The TM situation has also changed a bit. TMs don't replenish PP anymore. I realize that they do in Gens VI-VIII, but that makes move management too easy. Acquiring TMs is also a bit different. Custom TM locations have been reverted in favor of reinstating the Celadon Department Store TM seller. This time he only sells four TMs, specifically ones that aren't available elsewhere in Throwback. This consists of one that was only ever at the Department Store in the vanilla game (TM15), one that was only obtainable via Pickup (TM10), and two that could have been permanently missable from the S.S. Anne (TM31 and TM44). Those latter two have been replaced by more standard items, BTW.

The Save Compatibility patch has been changed a bit, too. Previously it was causing conflicts with the Celebi event in the Catch 'em All patch. That's fixed now. On that side of the hack, it also checks if you've beaten the game and unlocks the National Dex for you if you don't have it yet. Concerning the TM situation, I've also updated the Save Compatibility patch for use with people bringing in saves from ROMs that don't have reusable TMs. If you received the TMs but already consumed them, and then patch Throwback (or the Extras patch) to your ROM, you will receive all of those acquired TMs back. I hope to further update it in the future for the item changes I made. That will take a bit of time due to having to check your bag for room.

But do you really want these small, functional changes? Nah, that's no fun. Let's glorify a purely cosmetic change I made late in the patching process!

You ever lose to your rival at any point in the game after starting your Pokémon journey? Well, now you don't just have to sit through the sting of a loss. You get to hear him gloat about it, too! In Gen I, your rival was supposed to have unique lines of dialogue to taunt you with at every possible battle you could lose to him. These never made the final versions of those games, but they live again here in Throwback. Wanna see them? Then you know what to do.

Have fun... and maybe become a loser like Ash, too!

Changelog

P.S.: If you're currently saved on Faraway Island (from a legacy version of Throwback or tkim's version of the hack), please save the game elsewhere before moving your save over to the new updated version of Throwback. The Save Compatibility patch no longer checks for that.

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way Hi Ritchersnipes, hope things are going well during these times, but i came across a bug that isn't game breaking, but the amount of money in the game for the items is odd or the mechanic, on money section i have 26 pokedollars while the item I'm about to buy is 200 i don't know if that was intended.

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    View attachment 92282 Hi Ritchersnipes, hope things are going well during these times, but i came across a bug that isn't game breaking, but the amount of money in the game for the items is odd or the mechanic, on money section i have 26 pokedollars while the item I'm about to buy is 200 i don't know if that was intended.
    I have to imagine that this is related to the one-time TM purchase ASM code. It looks like they offer you items for poverty money no matter what.

I'll take a closer look at the code soon. I don't know if the issue is with how I inserted it or if there's a bug in the code.

EDIT: Yep, looks to be a problem with the ASM code. That's unfortunate.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    I have to imagine that this is related to the one-time TM purchase ASM code. It looks like they offer you items for poverty money no matter what.

I'll take a closer look at the code soon. I don't know if the issue is with how I inserted it or if there's a bug in the code.

EDIT: Yep, looks to be a problem with the ASM code. That's unfortunate.

Sorry to hear, hopefully it was helpful to report it, hope you have a nice day.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    Oh, it absolutely was helpful. Thank you for that! I can't believe I didn't notice it when testing the code.

And thanks for the nice words. My day's been fine. Hope you're having a nice day, too.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    v200612 Bug Fix Update

So, looks like things went a bit loopy at the Poké Marts, huh? Well, I'm incredibly sorry about that. I have no idea what's causing the issue with the ASM code that I inserted for only purchasing TMs once, so I've removed it for the time being. Please note that this means that the game won't restrict you from buying more than one of these from the Department Store anymore. Don't do that... unless you like wasting your money.

Thank you for reporting the issue, 152637??. If any other issues arise from this recent update (besides the aforementioned purchasing multiple TMs), I encourage you all to let me know.

Changelog

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2020
    Hello everyone
    I am currently on seven island trying to finish the pokedex
    I was wondering, where could I find a second sunestone?
    I've got one already, but I needthe second one since there are 2 pokemons which are requiring that stone to get evolved (gloom and sunkern)

Also, it was said that in the cerulian cave I should have founded the fossil which I didn't pick up, so in my case I should have founded the helix, but I found the dome instead
    Is this a bug??

Last question.. How do I get to evolve eevee into either umbreon or espeon ??

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    Hello everyone
    I am currently on seven island trying to finish the pokedex
    I was wondering, where could I find a second sunestone?
    I've got one already, but I needthe second one since there are 2 pokemons which are requiring that stone to get evolved (gloom and sunkern)

Also, it was said that in the cerulian cave I should have founded the fossil which I didn't pick up, so in my case I should have founded the helix, but I found the dome instead
    Is this a bug??

Last question.. How do I get to evolve eevee into either umbreon or espeon ??
    Sorry for the late reply! Haven't been logged in here in awhile.

You can receive more Sun Stones from Selphy as a random reward for showing her the Pokémon she wants to see. You can obtain more of any fossil item (Helix Fossil, Dome Fossil, Old Amber) in Cerulean Cave, not just one or the other of the two Mt. Moon fossils. And you evolve Eevee into either Espeon or Umbreon the same way you do in the official games: happiness at either daytime (6:00 AM to 5:59 PM for Espeon) or nighttime (6:00 PM to 5:59 AM for Umbreon).

Hope that helped you if you haven't figured those things out.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2023
    hey great work. just wanted to make a suggestion, have you thought about some sort of working Graphics overhaul patch? sadly ikaros fire red graphics patch doesnt work with this let alone most rom hacks and kinda i just a pokemmo and default fire red rom thing. and the HGSS graphics overhaul doenst look as if it ill be finished.

im really hopeing someone decides to make a sick pokemon fire red rom hack with its own complete graphics overhaul

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2023
    also maybe Completely option Complete Pokemon fire red Upgrade Compatibility patch? (ps remember to change tm Flash to be given out by the correct person. the aid that gives you it gives you dive instead of flash by default.)

Maxiryu

The badass Dratini
    Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2020
    Hey, really love the mod!
    I have a question about in-game trades. So I got to the girl near the tunnel between Cerulean and Vermilion, and she's asked me for a female Nidoran. I gave it to her, and she gave me Mr.Nido in exchange. This is a trade from Leaf Green. Where do I trade a male Nidoran for Ms.Nido? Since in-game traded pokemon have names, it'd be nice to have a collection. Or is there no place to for an additional trade?

Last edited:
    Back