• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Urban Project [RMXP]

KWolf 2K

Urban Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    Alright, so this story has been in the writing process for the past year, (almost... more like six to nine months,) and I think it's finally ready to be somewhat revealed to the public. This is just the story idea, not what the game will be like, and it's just a preview, so don't go asking for more.
    Alright, here we go. (Note: the story is composed of several back stories and side stories that interconnect in the end to solve one large mystery. The following are hole filled introductions to these back stories.)

The island region of Chojo, around 150 years ago:
    "A great cataclysm has struck our fair island region. The cause is unknown, but its effects have been devastating. We've lost our eastern, southern, and western shores to the massive ocean flooding. Earthquakes have caused our mountains to crumble away, and they exist now as barren dirt wastelands. Our forests and jungles have fallen under the pressure of the hurricanes.
    "Needless to say, we have survived... but at what cost? We can rebuild to our former glory, but what of that which we have lost? We will continue to thrive in memory of those that have fallen this year."
    Executive Journal, Entry #34-228

The island region of Hoenn, 16 years ago:
    "A new born child has blessed our fair floating community; a young boy, given the deep blue eyes of his father Aaron, our town's hero. The child's parents have been engrossed all evening, and yet have come up with no name for the child. I worry about Aaron's other son, who has been all but forgotten ever since Aaron's wife was diagnosed as pregnant. I pray Aaron realizes the error of his way before it's too late."
    An entry in an abandoned diary in Pacifidlog

The island region of Chojo, Present day:
    You are a young boy or girl living in S'Mal Heights, a luxurious apartment building in the ocean side community of S'Mal City. Today just so happens to be your sixteenth birthday, and your best friend has persuaded you to climb S'Mal Wall, a large cliff that blocks off the city to the north and west. Upon reaching the top, you discover the laboratory of Professor Palm, a scientist specializing in studying the behavioral bonds between trainer and Pokémon. His studies have been put on hold for some time, but upon meeting you and your friend, his interest is sparked once more. Suddenly you find yourself on the journey of a lifetime with a Pokémon to call your own, travelling to distant regions around the world, and in the meantime discovering what the ties that bind human and Pokémon truly are as you attempt to stop all-out war.

So there's the preview.
    I know it probably sounds generic, but considering how long this idea has been in the making, I can assure you that surprises await. I've worked out every loop hole, every flaw, every bug, and I feel it's safe to say that this game will bring back what made GSC great, while adding just a touch of urban flair that will make this game great.
    Still, I want to know what you all think of the concept presented so far. All criticism and comments are welcome, good and bad, just be sure to back yourself up. I want feedback before really diving head first into something I've never tried before.

Features:
    PokéCell
    Spoiler:

International Travel (via passport)
    Spoiler:

An estimated 200+ hours of gameplay (excluding time taken on side quests)
    Spoiler:

50- new species of Pokémon
    Spoiler:

Actual Animated Cutscenes
    Spoiler:

Evil team taken back to the roots
    Spoiler:

A Cast you can grow attached to
    Spoiler:

A brand new style of graphics
    Spoiler:

A new battle layout?
    Spoiler:

Sedetant, Sapinae, and Myrmeta

Characters:
    Spoiler:

To anyone who wants to help, send me a PM or email with the following information:

Name:
    Requested field:
    Experience:
    Proof of work:

Mapping:
    1. KWolf 2K
    2. Alont - technical difficulties
    3. Florio
    4. s1alvarez

Spriting:
    Characters OW:
    1. KWolf 2K
    Tilesets:
    1. KWolf 2K
    2. Andinator
    Characters Battle: On Hold
    Pokémon OW: On Hold
    Pokémon Battle: On Hold

Scriptors:

Musicians:
    1. KWolf 2K

Artists:
    Line Art:
    1. KWolf 2K
    Promo Art:
    1. KWolf 2K
    In-Game Art: On Hold
    Building Design:
    Character Design:
    1. KWolf 2K
    Custom Map Design:
    1. KWolf 2K
    Revisited Map Design:
    Fakemon Conceptual Art:
    1. KWolf 2K
    Fakemon Design Revision:
    1. KWolf 2K

Last edited:

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    I like the story, its very well thought out so far (though for six to nine months I'd hope so). But what about features?

KWolf 2K

Urban Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    ...Isn't this board for plots only? Or am I confused?

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    ...Isn't this board for plots only? Or am I confused?

No, its for any game that doesn't meet the requirements of the Game Showcase yet. Plots and Stories are just the usual starting point for any game. Planned features are usually very early as well, and to post them will bring more attention to a game than just the story.

KWolf 2K

Urban Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    Alright, well, I updated the first post with the planned features and aspects of the game. Anything not mentioned that's a standard in Pokémon games will be included automatically.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    All 4 regions? 200 hours of gameplay? That seems a bit too ambitious...
    I would focus on just one, maybe two, regions at first. It will take forever to map them all out.

And animated cutscenes? How will you go about that? It sounds like it will take far too much effort... But if you can pull it off, it could be amazing :)

KWolf 2K

Urban Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    All 4 regions? 200 hours of gameplay? That seems a bit too ambitious...

Hey, anything is possible with a little inspiration, ambition, and free time.
    And to be completely honest, 200 hours comes from the level grinding, and it's basically based on how long it takes me to play through any of the official Pokémon games.

I would focus on just one, maybe two, regions at first. It will take forever to map them all out.

The maps will be divided once I start recruiting. One team will get one region to map, another team gets a different region, and so on.

And animated cutscenes? How will you go about that? It sounds like it will take far too much effort... But if you can pull it off, it could be amazing :)

I have a special Flash animation software with several high quality file types to export the animations as, but many of the cutscenes can be done with the 16 frame character sheets, believe it or not.

I've messed around with RMXP long enough to know the ins and outs and limitations, so I'm sure that all the things I plan to incorporate can indeed be done.

KWolf 2K

Urban Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    Character Style Check!

I like the style on the left better, because it looks more... Pokémon-ish? The right is larger and sharper though. Let me know which one is more visually pleasing.

Also, check out the recruitment thread if you want to help with this project.

fireyboy345

Skilled Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    I enjoy the first one better then the second one because the first one feels more like pokemon themed. The second one just looks awkward. in a sense that you can see the whole body (if you get what im saying)

KWolf 2K

Urban Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    You're saying that the right one is basically vertical (like a side-scroller platformer), and the left one is pointed more at an angle (like an overhead RPG)?

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    You serious with that 200 hour thing?
    Most people (everybody) will not even come close to put in the same amount of time they put into the official games for any fan game- repeat any fan game, no matter how good- let alone 200 hours.

I've been around a long time, and I know I've only seen demos rather then completed releases, but I've never played a fan game for more then an hour buddy.

In saying that, you have some really neat ideas with your feature list and I do look forward to seeing it come together and wish ya luck on it.

Plus, the name sounds like a government project to help get people out of slums or something lol.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    Is Hokkaidō just the name of the region, or is it based on the real-world Hokkaidō? If it's based on the real one, well...

...Won't it look a whole lot like Sinnoh?

fireyboy345

Skilled Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    You're saying that the right one is basically vertical (like a side-scroller platformer), and the left one is pointed more at an angle (like an overhead RPG)?

Exactly. Thank you for find words for what i was trying to say.:D

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    There isn't necessarily anything wrong with that

Seen here, the Ruby/Sapphire sprites (right) are viewed from a more head-on angle than you normally see in RPGs.

edit: Whoo! Three hundredth post!

Last edited:

KWolf 2K

Urban Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    You serious with that 200 hour thing?
    Most people (everybody) will not even come close to put in the same amount of time they put into the official games for any fan game- repeat any fan game, no matter how good- let alone 200 hours.

I've been around a long time, and I know I've only seen demos rather then completed releases, but I've never played a fan game for more then an hour buddy.

In saying that, you have some really neat ideas with your feature list and I do look forward to seeing it come together and wish ya luck on it.

Plus, the name sounds like a government project to help get people out of slums or something lol.

I don't let projects fall through, and I always try to go above standards.

Is Hokkaidō just the name of the region, or is it based on the real-world Hokkaidō? If it's based on the real one, well...

...Won't it look a whole lot like Sinnoh?

Hokkaido was a place holder name. My reference for the map is actually the Kyūshū islands. I'll change the names of things eventually.

KWolf 2K

Urban Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    'Sup.
    Just a quick post to show off the mug shot of the male player.

This is the image featured on the trainer cards (although not rendered as a sprite yet.) My idea is for the trainer cards to resemble more of, like, a driver's license or passport.
    Here's the female player. (I don't like it, it doesn't look feminine enough. Almost looks like that new Ponyo movie... I'll fix it later.)

Also, I'll refer to them as Jade [male] and Marine [female].

P.S. We really need additional spriters! Please?

Last edited:

KWolf 2K

Urban Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    Alright, so I quickly reworked the region layout, since Plan A (based on the Kyūshū islands) is already taken. I went with Chubu. The name of the region is as of now Chojo, but it can change. Here's a quick map to show off the layout of the cities and points of interest. The in-game GPS system (hopefully) will allow players to switch between collected maps and display either the route viewer, city viewer, points of interest viewer, or topographical viewer.

Also, the maps will be revamped to look like actual topographical and political maps in the game.

And seriously, I want to go ahead and start forming a production team (I've already got mappers), so if you can help, CLICK HERE!!!

Last edited:
    Back