• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Urban Project [RMXP]

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2024
    as i am already part of team nebula, i can't fully join your team, but i can contribute. I'm an okay scratch spriter (my prefered style). I like that idea of a new style. ill fill out a form later

KWolf 2K

Urban Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    Behold! Starters.

I spent quite a lot of time to make the Pokémon designs in this game original concepts that look like actual Pokémon. So far I've created 33 out of 50 or less.

A quick little intro to the starters:
    Sedetant - Grass/Bug - evolves into Sapinae [Stick Pokémon - The leaf on its head grows bigger to show its authority within in its own colony.]
    (The idea came from all those pictures of ants carrying the leaves bigger than they are. I personally like this one the best, but I feel it's too detailed at the moment.)

Hileap - Fire - evolves into Hidart [Hot frog Pokémon - Surprisingly, this species thrives in cold, wet, shadowy areas, making forests its preffered home.]
    (You have absolutely GOT to love that face, cause if you don't, you're a heartless monster. Based on poison dart frogs.)

Amfisar - Water - evolves into Armasar [Nosy fish Pokémon - The caudal fin on this species works as a propeller, allowing it to swim at speeds of around 70 MPH.]
    (Based on sword fishes and Blue Marlins, especially in its later forms. I like the colours, but any reccommendations for colour changes are welcome.

Fun fact: the picture took a day to make, and everything but the logo (which came out all suckish,) was done in Flash.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • I like Amfisar, but I have a few questions. I'm sure the propeller fin can move it pretty quickly, but how does it slow down? It doesn't look like it can turn its fins vertical or turn its body. With that out of the way, on to practical questions: are you going to be able to replicate the wood grain pattern on Sedetant's sprite? Also, aren't the starters' names all a little hard to say/remember? I can see here the names Sedetant and Hileap came from, but I'm lost on Amfisar.

KWolf 2K

Urban Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    I like Amfisar, but I have a few questions. I'm sure the propeller fin can move it pretty quickly, but how does it slow down? It doesn't look like it can turn its fins vertical or turn its body. With that out of the way, on to practical questions: are you going to be able to replicate the wood grain pattern on Sedetant's sprite? Also, aren't the starters' names all a little hard to say/remember? I can see here the names Sedetant and Hileap came from, but I'm lost on Amfisar.

Ah, yes, well, the way the fin's shaped, if it spins the other way, it can brake and reverse, like any propellor theoretically can.
    Spoiler:

As for the sprites, I'm possibly thinking of trying a new battle layout, but the wood grain (if simplified) should be easy to incorporate.

And the names are pronounced and originated as follows:

Sedetant (Seh-dih-tant) Combination of "seed", "sediment", and "ant". The species is able to learn grass-, bug-, and a few rock-type moves.
    Hileap (Hee-leep) Combination of "heat", "ribbit", and "leap frog".
    Amfisar (Am-fih-zar) It's a combination of the words "amphibian" and "Sarcopterygii", the scientific name for "flesh-finned fishes". It's obviously amphibious since it has legs and fins.

Last edited:

KWolf 2K

Urban Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    TILE STYLE CHECK!

Let me know what you guys think. These are basic, I haven't done things like combine tiles yet. I just want to know if the style looks good.

KWolf 2K

Urban Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    A quick snapshot of what the current tiles look like all put together. I like, but now I've realized how small the character is. And my original plan was to increase the screen size, but that would just make him look smaller.

No, I'm not making the characters larger. I'm just saying.
    For information on joining development team, click here!

Route

Slowpoke
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2015
    Woah! The sprite looks awesome! It gives a new twist to the classic style Pokémon hero/heroine.

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2009
    like the idea might help if i had more details

Hi all

I'm new to this thing but had an idea to create a hack that covers all the regions, then i saw this one running. I like the idea but am unsure about the story line. I'm guessing you start in this new chojo region and then once you complete that you can travel to all the others. I like all the concepts you have behind the game but am enquiring have thought about evolutions thoroughly? If you have played shinygold the evolutions are good due to no need to trade. Would you be able to implement this?

My hack was going to have all 4 regions and no trading but all catchable with all the more recent poke gear on a GBA format. I would like to know a bit more about this planned game before I sign up to help.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Hi all

I'm new to this thing but had an idea to create a hack that covers all the regions, then i saw this one running. I like the idea but am unsure about the story line. I'm guessing you start in this new chojo region and then once you complete that you can travel to all the others. I like all the concepts you have behind the game but am enquiring have thought about evolutions thoroughly? If you have played shinygold the evolutions are good due to no need to trade. Would you be able to implement this?

My hack was going to have all 4 regions and no trading but all catchable with all the more recent poke gear on a GBA format. I would like to know a bit more about this planned game before I sign up to help.

Not a hack. This area, Game Development, is used for scratch games rather than hack, which can be found in emulation.

KWolf 2K

Urban Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    @Zein - care to explain why?

@BOB838 - I'm not quite sure what you mean, but the game will have a national Pokédex to start with which includes all evolutions of any catchable Pokémon. It will also have an Internet trade system to make completing the Dex easier.
    And like LX_Theo said, this isn't a hack

Holiday

Ho Ho Ho-Oh
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2010
    I absolutely love, love, LOVE the tiles and character sprite!
    Keep it up! It looks great so far! :D
    Though, I don't like the Fakemon.

KWolf 2K

Urban Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    Aw... Honestly I like the Fakemon.
    Unless you're talking about Hileap, cause I realize it's not that original.

Holiday

Ho Ho Ho-Oh
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2010
    Oh, no. I wasn't referring to any specific Fakemon you made. Sorry to confuse you.
    I just don't generally like Fakemon and avoid playing games with them in it.
    But, hey - that's just my 2 cents.

And I have to say again - I love, love, LOVE the tilesets and sprites! :D

KWolf 2K

Urban Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    New building made! Hooray!

NOTE: These aren't snapshots of the game, they're pictures of what the tiles look like put together. There's stuff I need to fix before the first town can start being made. I also plan on making the sign (attached to the side of the building) light up at night and special events that make the windows refract light.

KWolf 2K

Urban Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    Yeah, so I've been thinking about the features I want to put in the game, as well as important factors in order to make the story work. My conclusion: it'd be easiest just to redo most of the scripts from scratch. Yeah, so I'll either need a team that I can get working together to handle the essentials, or I may need a tutor in the language of RGSS.

Also, I've updated the first post with team sign-up information.

Back