• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Completed Event Pokémon VGM Sharing! - Event Finished!

Years
    • Seen today
    Round 3
    Begins!

Round 2 Results

Hey hey, I've tallied the results from the identification round, and we've got some real good music-recognizers (for lack of a better word). We also have some humourous people, writing in some funny comments that made my day. First, let's announce the top finishers and then we can go into some fun stats and comments. The scoring was 1pt if you got the track correct (or close enough for me to know what you actually mean), and 0.5pts if you were a small bit off (if you guessed the right track but got the game wrong, or if you got the game right and the track was only slightly off - e.g. Vs Guzma and Vs Plumeria). I gave 0.1pts if you got the game correct and nothing else.

In 3rd place... Tsutarja with 59.6 Points!
    In 2nd place... Explorer of Time with 62.6 Points!
    And in 1st... It's bobandbill with 71.7 Points!

Having scored over 80%, bobandbill also receives the PokéMusic Listener achievement!

Now for some stats (for the 11 people who submitted):
    • The only song that no one managed to guess in any capacity was #67, which was Cyrus' Battle theme from USUM!
    • The songs for which only one person got full credit for were #56, #62, #14, and #85. Unsurprisingly, #14 and #85, being from spinoffs, were only guessed correctly by the user who submitted them. However, props to bobandbill and Explorer of Time, who were able to correctly identify #56 and #62, respectively!
    • Everyone except one person managed to correctly identify #2, which was Lavender Town from RBY. That one person thought it was Lavender Town from GSC (did it really sound that happy?)
    • Everyone except one person managed to correctly identify #77, which was the DPPt Opening. The one person who didn't get it correct only submitted answers up to #60, and I am confident that they would have gotten it correct.

Lastly, there were some funny comments:
    • One guess was for the Miror B Theme, but from B/W. Oh how I wished that to be true!
    • I gave half marks for this, but someone referred to Oleana as "other evil Lusamine from SwSh". I haven't played SwSh but that's probably pretty spot on, right?
    • Another user's guesses were riddled with comments that contained obscenities, which I can only guess is from pure joy and definitely not frustration at almost recognizing certain tracks.
    • Someone very adamantly guessed Floccesy Ranch three times, even taunting me with comments such as "yes, again" and "mm hm" for the 2nd and 3rd guesses.

And here is the answer sheet and the scores. If you think there is anything wrong, please let me know:
    Spoiler:

Round 3 Instructions

And now it's time for the final event! This will be the rankings, and you guys will have to fill out the following form at the bottom, which is the top 20 songs (with ties) - it's actually the top 48 songs. There are also some questions that you will have to answer about everyone's other favourite songs!

To explain the ranking system, I took everyone's top 5 songs in order and assigned them a different number of points based on how high they were on each list - the points were (72, 51, 39, 28, 18). This is not even close to a perfect system and cannot replicate how each person feels about their favourite songs, but this was the best way I felt to give weights. In hindsight, I should have asked everyone to give a score for their top 5, but I was not expecting the music list to be this diverse. Now there are some ties, and that is obviously because some songs ended up with the same point value. However, there were some extra points added based on the "favourite main series" songs - if a song (say chosen by users A, B, C) was also the favourite main series song of another user (say user D), then it got 15 extra points.

Knowing all the point range for these top 20 songs is from 43 points to 190 points. That means everyone's 2nd favourite song is at least on the list somewhere. Here is the list of songs on this list, and it is your job to rank them:
    Spoiler:

Scoring your responses will be based on the difference between a song's rank (by you) and their true rank - so the lower the better. As an added bonus, if you get something exactly correct, you will get -1 score instead of 0. Additionally, there are some questions you would need to answer regarding everyone's favourite main series music. Answering each of these correctly gives you -5 score, which may help give you an edge.

Submit your answers with this form:
    Spoiler:

Let me know if you have any questions. Also, you can still participate in the ranking even if you have not participated in either of the other two rounds!

Please PM on the forums or DM me (5qwerty) on Discord to send in your answers. The window for this portion closes at 11:59pm EST on August 24th.

Have fun!

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • The songs for which only one person got full credit for were #56, #62, #14, and #85. Unsurprisingly, #14 and #85, being from spinoffs, were only guessed correctly by the user who submitted them.
    I want to extraofficially apologize for making life slightly harder for everyone lol.

But, really, how come people don't play more Pokken? While I admit at the beginning I didn't like it, I have to say it is a pretty enjoyable and underrated game, and an avenue of spinoffs that the franchise should pursue more.

Years
    • Seen today
    I want to extraofficially apologize for making life slightly harder for everyone lol.

But, really, how come people don't play more Pokken? While I admit at the beginning I didn't like it, I have to say it is a pretty enjoyable and underrated game, and an avenue of spinoffs that the franchise should pursue more.

Haven't played Pokkén, but Magikarp Festival is a pretty fire song. I guess I should listen to more of the soundtrack. I think fighting games also have a higher barrier of entry and perhaps the gameplay of Pokkén is pretty different from what people are used to getting from a Pokémon game?

Years
    • Seen today
    Hey all, just notifying you guys that there's just a bit under a day's worth of time before this event wraps up. Thank you all for participating and I look forward to your rankings!

Years
    • Seen today
    I've finished tallying up the scores! I'm going to bed now, but expect the results some time tomorrow!

Years
    • Seen today
    Event
    Finished!

Round 3 Results

Thank you everyone for submitting your rankings! Now is the time to unveil the true rankings and their point values. Recall that the point amounts for 1st to 5th is (72, 51, 39, 28, 18), and there are 15 bonus points if the song was selected as someone else's "top song from main series".

The Rankings:
    Spoiler:

Unsurprisingly, the Cynthia and Zinnia battles top the list. But interestingly enough, we have enough Mystery Dungeon fans to take the next 3 spots! We then have a lot of Gens 3 to 5 until 15th place, at which everyone's favourite songs (if they didn't get any additional points) were placed. Many people placed Forest Battle Theme (Rumble World) and Goldenrod City Remix (Pokémon Puzzle Challenge) at the very bottom of the list, but they were actually the favourites of Venia Silente and Cherrim, respectively! These two can be thanked for your ranking woes.

Now, for the top 3 finishers:
    In 3rd place, with 210 points... It's bobandbill!
    In 2nd place, with 201 points... Explorer of Time!
    And in 1st, with 189 points... gimmepie!!!

Congratulations to the top rankers! For reference, gimmepie only ranked 5 songs that were 10 or more placements off from their true ranking - a truly impressive feat!

The scores for this round can be found here:
    Spoiler:

Congrats to Cube for being the only one to get more than one of the last four questions correct! Cube also had some choice words to say about a few songs:
    - Snowbelle City: "had i known XY was a real game, i would've submitted this one"
    - Vs Cynthia: "encounter theme is better"
    - Route 29: "the gameboy color noise gave me a headache but at least it's not the swsh wolf midi"

GT Points and Final Word

The scoring will be counted as follows:

Round 1 - Music Submission
    Team Apricorns: 14 participants -> 70 points
    Team Gears: 9 participants -> 45 points

Round 2 - Music Identification
    Team Apricorns: 7 participants + 1st + 10 points from achievement-> 65 points
    Team Gears: 4 participants + 2nd + 3rd -> 35 points

Round 3 - Music Ranking
    Team Apricorns: 7 participants + 1st + 3rd -> 60 points
    Team Gears: 1 participant + 2nd -> 15 points

Total
    Team Apricorns: 70 + 65 + 60 = 195 points
    Team Gears: 45 + 35 + 15 = 95 points

Lastly, I cannot stress enough how thankful I am for everyone for getting their responses in through each of the rounds. I know that this event was not handled very well by me since, well, the planning phase.

The questions I chose for Round 1, the ones that everyone spent their effort putting in, were not carefully selected, and I should have considered the questions better. Sorry for everyone who spent a lot of time on the main series music questions, since those were not utilized as much in the final results.

For Round 2, I wanted the music that everyone chose as their favourites to be listened to - after all, this is a Music Sharing event. However, placing the burden to identifying 86 whole songs might have been too much for a lot of people, and this is something I'll have to change if this event is run in the future as well.

Regarding Round 3, I may have included too many songs for everyone to rank - 48 songs is a lot to rank and it's hard to get things down accurately. The scoring system for the ranks was also a bit arbitrary depending on how much weight I wanted to assign to everyone's selected songs. Next time I will ask you guys to weigh the music yourselves so that a more accurate ranking can be obtained.

Once again, thank you all for participating in this event! Hopefully you all found some new music that you enjoy through this event - for me I really got to appreciate some of the Sword and Shield Music (vs Eternatus Phase 3, In the Fog, Slumbering Weald)! It's been an honour hosting this and I hope that you guys will give this another chance in the future! Thanks!

Back