• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon: Wings of Chaos [NEW UPDATE ALPHAv2! CUSTOM TILESETS & SPRITES UPDATE, BUG FIXES, & MORE!]

Days
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Pokémon: Wings of Chaos
    "Delve into the unknown."

*Formerly known as Isles of Mariyama

Lore

Thousands of years ago, a great calamity befell upon our isles.

Amidst a torrential rainstorm, the great volcano of Mount Kaballa erupted in a fit of rage under the moonless night. From the smoke billowing out its throat emerged a monstrous beast adorned with wings of shadow and blight.

The beast polluted the air with an ominous dust, transforming the downpour into a deluge of purple rain. A thick and profane mist began to form from the rain, tainting the seas and forests, corrupting the wildlife into heartless creatures of savagery and disdain.

Sensing the disturbance, our three sacred guardians sprung from their nests to meet the beast in the murky skies to halt its desecration of their homes. However, they stood no quarter to its unfathomable power, and they too fell under its wicked influence. Our ancestors could only watch as those who were meant to protect the isles brought untold chaos and destruction to them instead.

But when all hope had seemed lost, a majestic dragon of ethereal silver suddenly rose from the depths of the ocean. With a deafening roar and a single flap of its colossal wings, an enormous gale swept through the isles, dispelling the virulent smog and freeing the isle guardians from its clutches. Together, our winged protectors and the majestic dragon defeated the monstrous beast, sending it back from whence it came and putting an end to the nightmare once and for all. After the storm cleared, the majestic dragon delved back into the abyss, promising us that should catastrophe strike again, it would return.

Today, we know the heavenly creature as Lugia, The Savior of Marya.

Story

You, an adolescent and aspiring trainer from a foreign land, have been given the opportunity to travel abroad to the tropical region of Marya! Your new professor, Sheldon Palm, has graciously accepted you as one of his pupils to help him conduct field research around the isles. You've also arrived just in time for the upcoming Silverwing Festival, a grand celebration hosted by the Silverwing Order each year to honor their glorious savior, Lugia.

You set forth on an adventure across the three main islands of Oranna, Lumine, and Minerva, challenging their respective gym leaders in hopes of gaining entry into the renowned Silverwing Festival Tournament as well as completing the Pokédex for your professor. But as you continue to explore the isles, you gradually begin to unveil a dark secret that seemingly only you can see…

…and it's up to you to bring it into the light.

Introduction

Our team IWMO (ice winged magical otter) presents Pokémon: Isles of Mariyama, a story driven game with entirely new maps based on rh-hideout's pokeemerald decompilation. We are a team of three novice ROM hackers who are currently pursuing the craft seriously. Pokémon IoM is our first project that aims to realize our dreams of creating a Pokémon game.

Features

• Updated Game Engine: IoM uses pokeemerald-expansion as the base game engine, which includes a ton of features from battle upgrades to all Pokémon up to generation 8!

• Unique Graphics: Explore the exotic isles of Marya in a redesigned 3rd generation tileset!
    • Unique Story: Explore three (one as of alpha v1) different islands, each with brimming personalities, and uncover the truth behind them!
    • HM QoL/Progression: Instead of having HM moves, they are locked behind nonessential Key Items you find in the story, and inaccessible areas can be unlocked by using them.
    • Day/Night System: Some quests and NPCs will only be accessible at certain times.
    • Quest System: Inspired by Pokémon Unbound, there is a quests menu that will keep track of all of the available quests and current todo.
    • Boss Battles: Some Pokémon found in the wild that are stronger than usual and serve as obstacles to your path.
    • Difficulty: Battles in IoM are designed to not be easy, but not pushovers neither. Our future goals are to focus more on resource management as well as other game specific interactions.
    • Pokémon Changes: In hopes of improving the viability of some Pokemon that normally would not see use at all, we have modified several Pokemon to make them much better candidates for your team (or your opponent's). Some Pokemon have received much more drastic changes, gaining a shiny new regional form unique to the isles of Marya! Changes to their stats, typing, moveset, abilities, and appearances will be made to some special Pokemon.

Screenshots

pokeemerald-5.png
    0ss_0.png
    pokeemerald-0.png
    pokeemerald-3.png
    pokeemerald-1.png
    pokeemerald-2.png
    pokeemerald-4.png
    0ss_2.png
    0ss_3.png
    0ss_4.png
    0ss_5.png
    resize-ss5.png

Credits

Our team, ice winged magical otter:

• lordraindance - General Scripting, Maps, Features
    • poetahto - General Scripting, Maps, Graphics, Music (soonTM)
    • ressykins - Story, Maps, Scripting
    • insertnameaqui - Tester

Many thanks to:

• RHH
    • ghoulslash - many
    • AsparagusEduardo - many
    • ShinyDragonHunter - DNS system
    • PokemonSanFran - quest menu
    • TheXaman - many
    • Pawkkie - Team Aqua Hideout resources
    • grunt-lucas - porytiles
    • Archie5000 - youtube
    • Ruki/Gold/Overlord Kaktus - battle backgrounds
    • carachagui - battle backgrounds
    • williamgj - town map
    • h y o - brendan/may sprites (overworld, front sprite, back sprite)
    • If we used your assets/code, and you aren't here, please let us know!

Bugs (Alpha v1)

• In Minty Meadows, after facing a certain trainer, you are softlocked to the area until you lose to a trainer or progress the story. If you lose, interesting things may occur. Apologies for any inconveniences you may face in this area; we are in the process of improving it for the future!
    • If there's any more, let us know!

Download

Directions

1. Obtain a gba file copy of pokemon emerald
    2. Download a patch from this forum (and ONLY this forum) and use a rom patcher. We recommend https://www.marcrobledo.com/RomPatcher.js/. ROM file is your copy of pokemon emerald and the patch file is the patch file you downloaded from this forum.
    3. Click apply patch, and use an emulator to play! We recommend https://mgba.io/.

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen Jan 13, 2024
    After playing only a little bit of this hack so far, I'm in love. I just finished the section where I picked up the pokemon egg and have traveled back down a bit to explore. However, I hit a section of the game where I'm completely frozen and cannot move. It's right by a slope that goes up to a pokeball loot. The game is still flowing, but I cannot move my character at all. Am I screwed here? My game auto saves as I closed it to relaunch, so I couldn't even roll myself back if I wanted. Is there a way for me to fix this issue?

Edit; To be more clear, taking a copy of one of your screenshots, I'm stuck literally where the character is standing, right here.

1704504605214.png

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Um, there is a game-breaking glitch involving the mission featuring the stones guy at Tidalcove. If you somehow complete the mission by showing him a Delibird, the game will instantly crash and white out...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Also, I have to forewarn you, there is an invisible Bad Egg at the northwest center of Box 4; or it least it had to be somewhere in Box 4...

Days
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    After playing only a little bit of this hack so far, I'm in love. I just finished the section where I picked up the pokemon egg and have traveled back down a bit to explore. However, I hit a section of the game where I'm completely frozen and cannot move. It's right by a slope that goes up to a pokeball loot. The game is still flowing, but I cannot move my character at all. Am I screwed here? My game auto saves as I closed it to relaunch, so I couldn't even roll myself back if I wanted. Is there a way for me to fix this issue?

Edit; To be more clear, taking a copy of one of your screenshots, I'm stuck literally where the character is standing, right here.

View attachment 153845
    Um, there is a game-breaking glitch involving the mission featuring the stones guy at Tidalcove. If you somehow complete the mission by showing him a Delibird, the game will instantly crash and white out...
    Also, I have to forewarn you, there is an invisible Bad Egg at the northwest center of Box 4; or it least it had to be somewhere in Box 4...
    We updated our game, and we may have fixed those bugs! Let us know if they still persist.

Joegreenbeen

Shooting for the Sky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm really excited to see where this goes! Do you by chance have a discord for this hack?

Years
    • Seen today
    I would like to know if all Alpha-Beta releases will be compatibile with future versions, or if sometime in the future it may break old save-game compatibility, forcing the player to start over with a new save-game

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • This definitely looks pretty dope! Do you have plans on updating the sprites of the the main characters instead of suing May and Brendan?

Days
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Are there any working gameshark codes for this Hack? i'd really like to mess around and try a few things. Thanks in advance!

Days
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    I would like to know if all Alpha-Beta releases will be compatibile with future versions, or if sometime in the future it may break old save-game compatibility, forcing the player to start over with a new save-game
    We are actually currently trying to work on compatibility with older versions so that when we release future big updates you will hopefully be able to resume your journey from where you left of, but if/when we are nearing the completion of the hack it will probably be highly recommended that you create a new file in case of content added in the areas that you already visited but unfortunately missed due to whatever reason

This definitely looks pretty dope! Do you have plans on updating the sprites of the the main characters instead of suing May and Brendan?
    I actually did make sprites for the main character(s), but unfortunately I was not able to get to their overworld sprites in time for the alpha release, so we ended up opting for May/Brendan temporarily. The next update we release (which will most likely be a gameplay update to add the next island) will hopefully include the new sprites for the main characters.

Are there any working gameshark codes for this Hack? i'd really like to mess around and try a few things. Thanks in advance!
    Not that I'm aware of unfortunately

Days
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Game plays well so far! Excited to see you finish it. Is there a Discord to track updates?

Days
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Does anyone know how to get a Sun Stone? There's no guide on it at all, and I'm trying to figure out how to evolve my Cottonee

Days
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    Does anyone know how to get a Sun Stone? There's no guide on it at all, and I'm trying to figure out how to evolve my Cottonee
    Unfortunately I don't think in the current demo you're able to get one. I believe the most you can get are leaf, water, fire, thunder, ice, moon, and shiny stones right now, but in our next planned big update you will be able to get any one of the nine evolutionary stones from an NPC in Tidalcove by showing him any species of starter pokemon :huh:

Days
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Currently not as of yet, but it's potentially something we could setup in the future :huh:
    Aww man! Okay, thanks anyway. But do you know where Riolu spawns? I saw a guy using one around the farm, so I know it's in the game, but I can't find one.

Days
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    Aww man! Okay, thanks anyway. But do you know where Riolu spawns? I saw a guy using one around the farm, so I know it's in the game, but I can't find one.
    In Minty Meadows in the foresty area it should be like a rare spawn there

Days
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    So, I'm currently at the Dark Mightyena but when i check the quests from menu, it says the missing trading card is located at the verdant woods but it seems that i can't found it anywhere.

Days
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    So, I'm currently at the Dark Mightyena but when i check the quests from menu, it says the missing trading card is located at the verdant woods but it seems that i can't found it anywhere.
    Also i want to ask what's the pokemon type for dark mightyena?

Days
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    One of the trainers you fight at the woods will reference that they were looking around for the card. The card is a hidden item but it should be relatively easy to spot

Also i want to ask what's the pokemon type for dark mightyena?
    Currently it's the custom "shadow" type we have, meaning it takes 1x damage from all types. This may be subject to change in the future though

Back