• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Yttrium 89 (STABLE) - Developer's Demo 1 Released

Should JOHTO be added to the Hack, or HOENN?

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2024
    I've played up until the first gym. Not really much to say, like you said you should change the trainers, what they say and their levels but you said you'd get around to that anyway.

Maybe a bit more variety in the wild pokemon would be nice too.

In the Mt. Moon replacement, the stairs guarded by two rockets... if after you beat them you went back down the stairs you could get stuck for good. Or, if you just walked in front of them and made them not move.

There are a good number of buggy things, too, like how your rival sometimes says what Gary would have said.

I might have missed some cool features and such, like I said I'm only at the first gym.

IIIMQIII

Split personality
    Years
  • I've played up until the first gym. Not really much to say, like you said you should change the trainers, what they say and their levels but you said you'd get around to that anyway.

Maybe a bit more variety in the wild pokemon would be nice too.

In the Mt. Moon replacement, the stairs guarded by two rockets... if after you beat them you went back down the stairs you could get stuck for good. Or, if you just walked in front of them and made them not move.

There are a good number of buggy things, too, like how your rival sometimes says what Gary would have said.

I might have missed some cool features and such, like I said I'm only at the first gym.

Oh, the rockets....

*checks the game*

Yes, I'm still implementing the script for them...When I release a refresh, they'll be doing something else.

You mention "buggy" things (trainers' speeches, etc I do not count as bugs)...please be more specific in what you're trying to point out - otherwise, I'll never be able to fix any of it.
    Please continue to post about more bugs and faults here.

But, as I said, I'm still in the process of correcting all those minor things. As for wild pokémon...that'll be improved as the game progresses.

Last edited:

Midnight Beat

elit resu motsuc
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Dec 17, 2023
    This looks really good. Two things, I'm not exactly sure what this is but I have heard of people talking about "rom expantions". Maybe that could help with jhoto. Also where does the current version end?

IIIMQIII

Split personality
    Years
  • This looks really good. Two things, I'm not exactly sure what this is but I have heard of people talking about "rom expantions". Maybe that could help with jhoto. Also where does the current version end?

A ROM expansion is basically going to offset 00FFFFFF in the ROM and adding a whole lot more FF's after that...But then all the pointers must be referrer to as 09 afterward, becuase you've went over the 00FFFFFF offset into the 01000000 offset - which implies a new memory space and all that gunk. Kinda troublesome to do, and anyways, then I can't make an IPS patch, since IPS only reads data up to (and including, I think) offset 00FFFFFF. All data beyond that is automatically trunkated by the patch making program (LIPS or ipsXP regareless...).

As for the demo's end...
    Notice you can't go anywhere after you beat the Fourth Gym? And since you don't have 5th badge (never mind SURF), you can't cross that body of water at MIRES CITY...
    Regard that as the demo's end. I forgot to put a nice little person saying so there somewhere after you get the 4th badge :P

~Later

Last edited:

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
    Years
  • Hey, I played the last release, and well, it was pretty good. Except for the fact that you really wanted to test my patience with so many jumps of levels in the trainers' pokemon XP
    Seriously, there were a few times I struggled so much, I was thinking about stopping playing, but I continued, so I guess that must mean something.

All righty, well, I'll post a few stuff that has called my attention. I know, it's still early for some of them, so avoid replying about something you don't want to.

*At the beginning, a few people have their scripts as if I had pokemon (one wanted to trade at that Pass building, and there was the guy that wanted to teach me Dream Eater)
    *Are you sure we will be able to walk through Route1 without pokemon? (MissingNo.'s and auto-fainiting there)
    *I'm not sure, but, was I supposed to battle against Jessie? (just asking... There was no battle)
    *You have some problems at Varis City, like, there's a kid running "in its place" that wanted to take me somewhere, he went, but I stayed... :P Also, there's a girl dressed in girl, and a girl outside the Gym without scripts assigned to them.
    *Hmmm... Just a comment. An icy Gym for a Fire-Type user?
    *Did you try to edit the Varis' Gym Leader's pokes? (I saw Magmar using Egg Bomb), don't forget, it's always the next attack to the one you want the poke to use
    *And finally, it was weird the battle against Vito... A Leader with a MissingNo. wow, what an easy Gym Battle! XD

That's all I can say about the hack. I'm not much into graphical details. But, it was a nice hack (out of a little frustration and some surprises a few times)

Keep it up, man!

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2007
    oh man i love this hack kan i help in something send me a pm if i can help in anything plis i love this hack

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2022
    i dont no if any1 noticed but in the gym where theres electric switches i didnt find them in the trash can but i found them on the floor??? and as Zel said the lvls of some trainers made me realy frustrated. except that the game rocks.

IIIMQIII

Split personality
    Years
  • Hey, I played the last release, and well, it was pretty good. Except for the fact that you really wanted to test my patience with so many jumps of levels in the trainers' pokemon XP
    Seriously, there were a few times I struggled so much, I was thinking about stopping playing, but I continued, so I guess that must mean something.

All righty, well, I'll post a few stuff that has called my attention. I know, it's still early for some of them, so avoid replying about something you don't want to.

*At the beginning, a few people have their scripts as if I had pokemon (one wanted to trade at that Pass building, and there was the guy that wanted to teach me Dream Eater)
    *Are you sure we will be able to walk through Route1 without pokemon? (MissingNo.'s and auto-fainiting there)
    *I'm not sure, but, was I supposed to battle against Jessie? (just asking... There was no battle)
    *You have some problems at Varis City, like, there's a kid running "in its place" that wanted to take me somewhere, he went, but I stayed... :P Also, there's a girl dressed in girl, and a girl outside the Gym without scripts assigned to them.
    *Hmmm... Just a comment. An icy Gym for a Fire-Type user?
    *Did you try to edit the Varis' Gym Leader's pokes? (I saw Magmar using Egg Bomb), don't forget, it's always the next attack to the one you want the poke to use
    *And finally, it was weird the battle against Vito... A Leader with a MissingNo. wow, what an easy Gym Battle! XD

That's all I can say about the hack. I'm not much into graphical details. But, it was a nice hack (out of a little frustration and some surprises a few times)

Keep it up, man!

i dont no if any1 noticed but in the gym where theres electric switches i didnt find them in the trash can but i found them on the floor??? and as Zel said the lvls of some trainers made me realy frustrated. except that the game rocks.

Okay...The two girls: no events implemented yet. As for the boy: where exactly is he? Is he that one that's suppoed to take you to the gym or is he the one that's supposed to take you to the museum (the museum one says "Have you gone for a walk?")

As for Vito...That's strange -- really strange. But I suppose it'll be like that because I blacked out so many of the maps in AM, that it could have overwritten some vital data (I know that it probably did, since it screwed up some tiles) - not to worry, if it did, I could probably easily recover and repooint it.

No battle against Jesse - just a dialogue. And it is possible to go through Route 1 without walking into the grass, just watch the open patches carefully.

The trade girl and Dream Eater tutor are actually supposed to be where they are still, but I will most probably move them in the near future.

As for the GYM LEADER's Pokémon movesets, some movesets (in later dev demo's too) will seem strange, but that EGG BOMB by MAGMAR was really unforseen... Thanks for telling me about that attack thing (about it being one attack after) - I never knew about that.

The GYM decoration is supposed to be decieving to the player :P It makes playing more fun and interesting, and there's more surprise.

As for the trainer levels: I released the Dev Demo in a bit of a rush, so I didn't really get the time to edit the levels of the trainers and their Pokémon. In later demo's and in the final, their levels -will- be different - that'a a promise.

Some of the electric switches -are- supposed to be found on the floor...I found the switches being in the bins a little too monotonous.

~~~​

On a lighter note...

I may release Pokémon Yttrium 89 (STABLE) in two flavours: One will have JOHTO and HEXVI in it, and the other ESTER and HEXVI. You'll need one to complete the other and vice versa. Since so many people have asked and voted that JOHTO should go in (it seemed such a sin not to).

Does anyone have any opinions on this? Let's here them here.

Last edited:

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
    Years
  • just downloaded it, don't have time to play it now, but at the start, it still says 'pokemon fire red' but I'm sure you're working on a new title screen. and also, when you go to the computer in your room it says "-insert name- played with the NES" even though it's a computer, not a video game console...unless our hero plays ROMs :D

Also, in regards to the two separate versions idea, I personally would prefer just one. include the two regions, and maybe a town or two of Johto and that would be enough to keep just about all your fans satisfied

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2007
    Looking like a cool hack from here. Not sure on what to say, but I'm sure you'll do a good job on the hack.

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
    Years
  • been playing it for 15 minutes or so, the only problem I see is a lot of the text in the start of the game needs to be changed. they still make references to Prof. Oak and Pallet town and such. and yeah, the whole 'being able to get attacked by a pokemon before you get your first pokemon' thing is a little odd, but it's looking like a great hack so for, keep it up :)

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
    Years
  • gah! tried to post this once and my computer went psycho..hopefully I didn't forget anything the second time aroud...
    okay, found some more text and physical problems to fix. I'm not trying to be critical, I realize this is just the first demo release, so please don't think that I'm trying to make you look dumb or anything. just want to help you out and see this hack succeed.
    The sign outside of Aquavaris falls still says " Diglet's cave "
    Their is a kid in Varis who gives you the message about Brock and then drops you off in the middle of the forest so you can't move....
    Leigh refers to her badge several times as the 'sezualbadge' with a 'z' where there should be an 'x'
    On route 3, after the fist clump of 6 trainers, there is a girl trainer a little further on. Starting with 3 spaces to her left and ending right in front of her, there is an invisible wall.
    On route 4 there is a trainer who is impressed with your sexualbadge...even if you don't have it yet.

Mires city has a sign outside it that says 'rock tunnel detour to lavendar town'
    And also when you go to save the game, it says you are on route 10 instead of in Mires city. it also says it at the top of the screen when you enter the city
    that's all for now.

Last edited:

IIIMQIII

Split personality
    Years
  • gah! tried to post this once and my computer went psycho..hopefully I didn't forget anything the second time aroud...
    okay, found some more text and physical problems to fix. I'm not trying to be critical, I realize this is just the first demo release, so please don't think that I'm trying to make you look dumb or anything. just want to help you out and see this hack succeed.
    The sign outside of Aquavaris falls still says " Diglet's cave "
    Their is a kid in Varis who gives you the message about Brock and then drops you off in the middle of the forest so you can't move....
    Leigh refers to her badge several times as the 'sezualbadge' with a 'z' where there should be an 'x'
    On route 3, after the fist clump of 6 trainers, there is a girl trainer a little further on. Starting with 3 spaces to her left and ending right in front of her, there is an invisible wall.
    On route 4 there is a trainer who is impressed with your sexualbadge...even if you don't have it yet.

Mires city has a sign outside it that says 'rock tunnel detour to lavendar town'
    And also when you go to save the game, it says you are on route 10 instead of in Mires city. it also says it at the top of the screen when you enter the city
    that's all for now.

Hiya...

I see that you're a very thorough player and I appreciate that - thanks.

Ok. Like I said, text I don't actually count as bugs, since I've already modified almost all of the things regarding text. But, that guy in Varis City that drops you off in the middle of the forst and just leaves you there... I must query as to how you managed to produce such a glitch, since I'd moved the original triggers that started that event up. I moved him next to the shop, so did you by any chance speak to him? Or was he standing in his original position (i.e. as you come into the city)?
    With regards to the SEXUALEBADGE and some trainers, etc - I'm busy fixing that up too as I go along.
    The 'invisible wall' has been fixed up already.
    And as for the ROUTE 10/MIRES CITY problem, the part that is ROUTE 10 is supposed to be like that. It's name will later be changed, but that ROUTE 10 area is actually not part of MIRES CITY itself - it's on the outskirts, hence me leaving the name like that.
    As for ROUTE 1, I willl again say that it is possible to get from AQUA CITY via ROUTE 1 to CAPE TOWN without being attacked by wild pokémon - just follow the naked spots in the grass carefully. This is possible to do. See it as the first puzzle in the game - there'll be a lot more.

Well with all that answered, I'm out for the evening.

If anyone finds more errorsand bugs, (please, I do not consider unfixed text a bug) post them here and I'll see to them as fast as I can so I can get another Dev Demo up for you kiddies.

~Later

Last edited:

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
    Years
  • yeah I talked to him. he didn't just kidnap me and drop me off :P
    thanks for listening and for all your hard work. I'll play the game some more later tonight and tell you if I come up with anything.

EDIT:
    Southern half of Mires City. right outside the Pokemon Center is a man who tells you about ghosts. after talking to him I could no longer move. when I pressed the directional buttons, the screen moved, but my character remained stationary. I reset and talked to him again and it didn't do it...so not really sure what's up. I will probably be updating this post tonight as a play and find new things to report.
    In the northern half of Mires City, there is a building you can't enter. It's the one on the right near the bottom. it has a big pool of water outside it, and it's the farthest south house that has a door, but the door does not open or give a message about needing a key...is this intentional?

The entire fight with Ladonna is messed up. When you talk to her, it's like a few lines are skipped or something because it makes no sense:
    Ben: Are you Ladonna by any chance?
    Ladonna: Oh hi! Yes, I am, and you're Ben, the trainer
    Ben: Yes, and I'm going to do the same to you!
    ...something's missing?
    and then when the fight begins...
    The sprite changes to a man named 'Trainer H30'
    who has no pokemon. so you beat his level 0 ?? and get one experience point...not quite what I expected :P
    In the Delta City gym, one of the sprites is messed up. Instead of a 'beauty' it's a cuttable bush that challenges you to a fight. also the trainer then says 'we only use ground type here' by they all use grass type.
    After defeating the third trainer in the delta city gym, I saved the game, and then realized that it was doing the same thing as the man in southern mires...my character is now permanently frozen. the screen moves but he does not.
    Thus ends my beta testing :P
    Good luck, and keep up the good work :)

Last edited:

IIIMQIII

Split personality
    Years
  • yeah I talked to him. he didn't just kidnap me and drop me off :P
    thanks for listening and for all your hard work. I'll play the game some more later tonight and tell you if I come up with anything.

EDIT:
    Southern half of Mires City. right outside the Pokemon Center is a man who tells you about ghosts. after talking to him I could no longer move. when I pressed the directional buttons, the screen moved, but my character remained stationary. I reset and talked to him again and it didn't do it...so not really sure what's up. I will probably be updating this post tonight as a play and find new things to report.
    In the northern half of Mires City, there is a building you can't enter. It's the one on the right near the bottom. it has a big pool of water outside it, and it's the farthest south house that has a door, but the door does not open or give a message about needing a key...is this intentional?

The entire fight with Ladonna is messed up. When you talk to her, it's like a few lines are skipped or something because it makes no sense:
    Ben: Are you Ladonna by any chance?
    Ladonna: Oh hi! Yes, I am, and you're Ben, the trainer
    Ben: Yes, and I'm going to do the same to you!
    ...something's missing?
    and then when the fight begins...
    The sprite changes to a man named 'Trainer H30'
    who has no pokemon. so you beat his level 0 ?? and get one experience point...not quite what I expected :P
    In the Delta City gym, one of the sprites is messed up. Instead of a 'beauty' it's a cuttable bush that challenges you to a fight. also the trainer then says 'we only use ground type here' by they all use grass type.
    After defeating the third trainer in the delta city gym, I saved the game, and then realized that it was doing the same thing as the man in southern mires...my character is now permanently frozen. the screen moves but he does not.
    Thus ends my beta testing :P
    Good luck, and keep up the good work :)

Hiya

Okay... With regards to the house with the locked door: You will come across houses in the game whose doors are locked and have no message to say that they're locked for some reason. During the Dev Demo's, this means only that I haven't implemented an event for those yet. In the final release, the remainder will be replaced by an "It's locked.." notice.

Regarding the Beauty that's a Bush - excuse the pun - that's intentional. You'll come across many strange things regarding trainers and their sprites/battle pics even later on in the game. Even in another particular GYM...

As for the case where your character freezes, the Ladonna battle/trainername/spritepic/text, I've come to the conclusion that it's AdvanceMap's fault. Open the ROM in AdvanceMap and count the number of maps that I blacked out - it may explain something. AdvanceMap does have a nasty tendency of overwriting vital data - it did that to my evolution data at a point in time, but I luckily had a backup of the ROM that was not corrupted. *checks ROM* Yup. Confirmed. AdvanceMap misplaced ALL Misty and Lt. Surge's trainer data, but that should be easy enough to recover again. No biggie. Thanks for your watchful eye while playing and your support is greatly appreciated. Remember to look out for the next Dev Demo release somewhere in June, maybe. To my current beta tester, you know who you are, I'll send you a patch as soon as I'm done with all this work, work, work that these lecturers are piling on me.

~Later

Last edited:

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
    Years
  • No problem :) It's a pretty good hack and I'm always willing to test and give my opinion.
    Keep up the good work, and I'll definitely have my eyes peeled for the next release.
    :)
    Ben

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
    Years
  • After defeating the third trainer in the delta city gym, I saved the game, and then realized that it was doing the same thing as the man in southern mires...my character is now permanently frozen. the screen moves but he does not.

Ah... the sprite possession bug... Yeah... I found it too, but since I knew how to fix that, then I forgot about it. Basically IIIMQIII, you should keep in mind to do a deep search through your sprites and change all the sprites with the "Move Down" movement type to "No Movement" (which has the same result), this will fix your possession problems, and you'll avoid them in the future.

Back