• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok?mon Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Kitty'll eat you :o
Years
  • Pok?Online

Updated July 6th 2005

----

The game has been renamed to "Pok?Online"

----

For a couple of weeks now, I've been working on a small online Pok?mon game in Clickteam's Multimedia Fusion. I'm making it small to start with so I don't set my sights too high and ultimately fail at finishing it, like so many such projects have.

I don't really have much to show, as I've been working on putting together a final list of ideas, working out how I'm going to do everything and creating a usable database of the first 151 Pok?mon. So instead of showing a bunch of screenshots, I'll talk about what I hope will be in the game when I release the first beta.

The first big difference about the game is that it's going to be played in a web browser, making use of the Vitalize! plug-in. It won't be a battle arena, like the Pok?mon Crater, but an actual game where you can walk around and chat with other players in real time.

Players will be able to play as either the boy or the girl from Fire Red and Leaf Green. I'm not going to include a lot of characters for people to choose from when I first release the game, because I want to eventually allow people to change the clothing on the characters, and if I am able to find an artist willing to help out with this, I don't want to have to ask them to create things for hundreds of sprites.

The game is going to be set in a small region of my own creation, called 'Sienn'. The region will be made up of about five islands, four small ones and a large one, which will link up with a small section of Kanto, where players will be able to take on the Elite Four, and eventually travel on into all of Kanto.

I plan for there to be eight gyms in the region, like Kanto and Johto. There will be one on each of the four small islands, and four others on the main island. Once players have collected all the badges, they will be allowed to continue on to the Elite Four. After a couple of months, I plan to add the entire Kanto region to the game.

----

one.gif

two.gif

three.gif

----

I would appreciate any comments and suggestions anyone has. Thanks for reading! ^^

Last edited:
    Years
  • This looks pretty promising. Will you be including a chat-system and if so are you going to add in some sort of personal device for private messages and stuff?

mattgcn

Fakemon Lurker
    Years
  • And yet another with the same name pops up. Why don't I just make one of the best operational engine? Wait, only engine (The rest seem to be games)

Robbie

Years
  • Krazy_Meerkat said:
    This looks pretty promising. Will you be including a chat-system and if so are you going to add in some sort of personal device for private messages and stuff?

Yes, and yes. I plan to have a general chat feature where any number of people can join in, and also chats in the battles.

mattgcn said:
    And yet another with the same name pops up. Why don't I just make one of the best operational engine? Wait, only engine (The rest seem to be games)

I already said that I couldn't think of a better name for the game, and does it really matter anyway? "Pok?mon Online" is a very general name, and a good number of websites already use it.

mattgcn

Fakemon Lurker
    Years
  • I know. I was just stating a fact.

A subtitle would be great to go with the name: Pokemon Online.

The thing with the one I heard of first is there can be no subtitle, cuz it's an engine. Unless you put something really stupid like :An MMORPG Engine..

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
  • I gotta agree with Krazy, it does look promising. The name doesn't bother me, unless one of the games is complete. But that's your issue to resolve between yourselves.

Years
  • Man it's just a name, he will change it when he feels right. A lot of games don't formulate a name for a while. One comes to mind which has a pokemon battle system :P

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2021
    This is really incredible. But I don't know if 8 directional movement is really needed in a pokemon game.

Robbie

Years
  • Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll try to have more put up there soon, so that people can play around with it a bit more.

Daegon_Kimeron, I made it an 8-way pixel movement because it offers the player a lot more freedom. I personally think that with a grid movement, the game would soon become very crowded and if I made it so you couldn't walk through other players, it could become impossible to move in places like Pok?mon Centers. We'll see, though.

charmandereleonzard#2

Call me Krishnan, Please
    Years
  • Cool!! I give my best of luck to you Robbie and are you going to include a lot of maps? Since as you said if too many people come in there will be crowding look. And what program are you using? I am very intrested to know.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • i think he said he was using multimedia fusion (nice maker).
    I wish you all the best of luck with this project rob.
    I look foward to seeing updates of this game. :)

Robbie

Years
  • Yup, I'm using Multimedia Fusion Professional, which is a fantastic program for creating games, although a bit on the expensive side. It's perfect for this type of game, though.

I really do appreciate all the comments, and hopefully I won't disappoint anyone with the game.

Berino

Graphics Artist
    Years
  • I can help with sprite creating but I have never used multimedia fusion before. Du they use the same Sprites?

Wario Man

Fear me, losers!
    Years
  • I could probably help with a lot of things.
    i'm a *decent* spriter
    I do fairly well level design
    I've worked with TGF for about 2 years, so I'm pretty experienced with the scripting and coding, also. so, if you want my help, just ask.

Years
  • 8-directional movement doesn't allow for that much extra space.. Maybe 1/3 if you're lucky.. I think your idea about sprites which can move through each other is the best idea, I'm not sure whether you would want to keep it gridlined (for originality) or not.

Naas02

Cerulean cool trainer
    Years
    • Age 39
    • Seen Jul 13, 2007
    this looks good Im glad to see you taking it slow to start off I think a place where alot of the proposed pokemon onlines went wrong is just wanting too much for a first release Im glad your doing this though good luck, I have a question though will the game be able to save the user's progress? I was just wandering its probably a stupid question lol

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
  • Robbie said:
    Yup, I'm using Multimedia Fusion Professional, which is a fantastic program for creating games, although a bit on the expensive side. It's perfect for this type of game, though.

I really do appreciate all the comments, and hopefully I won't disappoint anyone with the game.
    I don't think you'll disappoint anyone. You explained what your aims for the game are so we know what to expect. I'm sure it'll turn out great regardless though!

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • I see you've made a slight update (with the text and female hero). Looking good.
    I'm really really intrested in this project, so i'll be constantly checking up on you :P .
    Good work so far.

Robbie

Years
  • Naas02 said:
    this looks good Im glad to see you taking it slow to start off I think a place where alot of the proposed pokemon onlines went wrong is just wanting too much for a first release Im glad your doing this though good luck, I have a question though will the game be able to save the user's progress? I was just wandering its probably a stupid question lol

The game will be saved automatically after certain things happening such as defeating a gym leader, getting a new Pok?mon etc. The user probably won't need to manually save the game.

Phoenix and Neo-Dragon, thanks so much for the comments. They mean a lot coming from each of you, as your own respective games look absolutely fantastic. The game now has both a male and female hero - when I add in user registration, you will be able to select which you wish to be. The text is there because I'm working on a menu system, which should be ready within a couple of days. I'm also working on a map editor, to make the creation of maps easier and so other people can help, if they so desire.

Peekimon

Me = cat-aholic, Meowr
    Years
  • This game REALLY looks promising!!!
    I want to see it finished!
    I would like to make a suggestion if that's OK with you:
    The ability to customize your character to your needs,
    ie: How the Top looks, accessories, gender, etc.

Anyway, Keep up the GREAT Work!!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back