• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Poke-thoughts.

The Archaic Adept

Master of Ages Past
    Years
    I was wondering about the world of Pokemon and what its background is. I know that the places in the games are modelled after places in Japan, but where exactly do Pokemon come into the picture? I'm not trying to make heads or tails of it, I'm just throwing in any bits of information and seeing if anyone can piece them together. So here I go:

ORIGIN OF POKEMON

-Some Pokemon came from the moon.
    -Mew was seen in ancient glyphs
    -Even though you rarely see them, actual animals seem to exist in the Pokemon world. For example, in the episode of the show when the three kids go to the Cerulean Gym, you can see non-Pokemon fish in the aquarium at one point.
    -Mew contains all the Pokemon's genetic information (the mother of all Pokemon?)
    -The 3 Regis were imprisoned by humanity
    -The legendary Pokemon have important roles, after all they are legendary, especially Kyogre and Groudon who shaped the Earth
    -There are extinct Pokemon resembling creatures that lived millions of years ago, such as Kabuto, etc.

THE WORLD (the past, the present, and the location)

-In the Pokemon Mansion, it is said that Mew GAVE BIRTH to Mewtwo
    -It is said Mewtwo is born in Guyana, South America (they don't specify which guyana)
    -Although I don't take it seriously because it's a dub, in the show Ash mentions Minnesota or some other American state at some point
    -In another episode, ancient pokemon that are huge and have strange markings are found inside ancient devices which acted as Pokeballs
    -In the Pewter City Museum a Space Shuttle is found and an old man mentions how he got a color tv to watch the landing on the moon. (Which is funny, because the space shuttle doesn't land on the moon, but that's not the point)
    -I don't know if it is also this way in Japan, but Lt. Surge is called "The Lightning American."

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Err, by mature, we mean material not suitable for younger audiences. I'll move this to general. ^_^;

The Archaic Adept

Master of Ages Past
    Years
    I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding, I know that the T-dome is for mature subjects, but I just wanted to post it there because the audience it woud have would be more thoughtful.

Lokhlan

Formerly "Tendo"
    Years
    Yeah, I definitely see where your coming from.

Interesting compilation you have there.

"-It is said Mewtwo is born in Guyana, South America (they don't specify which guyana)"
    Yeah, I remember this from R/B. So, this would mean the Pokemon world acknowledges the real world? I kinda figure that Gamefreak just has a bunch of unresolved back history.

Murpheos

Fists of Flame!
    Years
    that is true, tendo. in Pokemon: The First Movie, Ash refers to Vikings as living in Minnesota, America. also, they refer to Golduck (or was it Gyarados) as Kappa the sea monster of Japanese mythology

Kine

Whatev
    Years
    The fact that actual animals exist really solves the mystery of the food people eat. Well, it really is no mystery, but when you see cooked fish it never looks like a Pokemon, for example. Not to say Pokemon don't get eaten, but I think that it seems normal animals are just more expendable (I guess they're less effecient?).

Still, I think it's weird that nobody seems to have common house pets such as an average dog or cat. Kinda makes me think that once it was learned that Pokemon could be used as such, they sorta threw all other pets "out the window".

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2011
    It's difficult to tell whether they really have normal animals as well -look at miltank and mareep -they've replaced sheep and cow herding etc. so i presume that, apart from some fish etc., pokemon replace their animals, and so have evolved for millions of years like we and other species have today. They may sometimes mention names of places which we have, but that doesnt mean it's actually based around our countries etc. in my opinion -they may just have a couple of similar country names.
    With the point about "Mew GAVE BIRTH to Mewtwo" it doesnt mean give birth in the sense of actually having a baby mewtwo, it just means that the genetics of mew were recreated to form (or give birth) to mewtwo.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    When Ash refers to the 'Minnesota Vikings', it's just a clever dub, probably over a Japanese Culture reference. That's what they do on lots of Animes.

Digimon was notorious for this...

Last edited:

The Archaic Adept

Master of Ages Past
    Years
    When Ash refers to the 'Minnesota Vikings', it's just a clever dub, probably over a Japanese Culture reference. That's what they do on lots of Animes.

Digimon was notorious for this...

Yes, and so is that show Duel Masters, I watched one episode and they mentioned Princess Leia and P. Diddy in about 30 seconds.

Back