• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokeCommunity Card of the Day (July 4th, 2011) - Flareon UD 20/90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Welcome to PokeCommunity's (Un)Official Card of the Day series!

Basically, this is a series of threads where you rate a given card based on several factors, including how useful it is in various decks, which cards it combos well with, and its art. So, basically, you're rating all aspects of the card.

Card of the Day for July 4th, 2011 - Flareon 26/90 HS Undaunted Set

Spoiler:

(This pic is just being used to show the art. I can't find the power cable for our scanner here at the moment, otherwise I'd have used a scan)

Card details:

Spoiler:

Some questions to get you started:
    What decks is this useful in?
    What cards does it combo well with?
    What do you think about the card's capabilities?
    What do you think about the card art?

Now get your rate on!

Years
  • From a non-battler's point of view, I like this card. Flareon looks shocked at something though & is that a firestone in the pic?

90 attack for flamethrower is very handy for all you battlers I guess :-)

8/10

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    It might be ok if it wasn't outclassed by so many stronger fire-type pokemon, like reshiram and the emboars. 90 for three is already not fantastic, but it even has a drawback too (discard an energy). For the same energy cost, reshiram does 120 and it has 130 HP, vs flareon's 90, and it doesn't need to be evolved. It's kind of useful in the online TCG when you're playing against the computer characters, but not at a real-life competitive level.
    The artwork, on the other hand, is adorable. I love it when they include the stones required for them to evolve in the picture. Overall, its fuction is basically as a nice collection piece.
    6/10

Years
  • Just dropping my own review here:

It's not a bad card for beginners, but it's painfully expensive for the HP it has and the damage it deals if you're going to go to tournaments with it, and, even with no Tier 1 water decks at present, it will get crushed quickly due to cards like Reshiram and Zekrom. I quite like the artwork, though. It captures the adorable fluffiness of Flareon quite well and it's a nice change from official artwork and 3D CGI models, which have been abused quite a bit of late.

Flareon will probably win you more than a few battles in the TCG league here, though, until people obtain more high-power cards.

6/10.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2011
    this card could've helped me when I was up against jack kentnon's psychic deck. he has a wicked espeon that would move 4 damage counters from any of his pokemon and transfer them to any of my pokemon, in any way he'd like. flareon would have been able to take care of this guy in a single shot...which was hard to do with my simisear since his strongest attack relies on coin flips.

so theoretically, I can see how he could be useful. it's retreat cost is low, so it shouldn't be hard to switch out if you're in a pinch. However, the fact that it requires you to discard a fire energy makes it a necessity for you to be able to pull some fire energy at will, so it would be best to place this fellow in a deck where that could be done easily.

I can also see flareon revenge killing zekrom in one shot. If zekrom kills your active pokemon with bolt strike, it will do 40 damage to itself, leaving it with 90 HP. Send in your bench eevee with two fire energy attached...evolve it to flareon, attach one colorless energy, attack zekrom with flamethrower and voila, zekrom is dead. your opponent would have known you're playing a flareon due to the fire cards attacked to eevee, but knowning flareon's actual attacks prior its evolution is a different story.

it's definitely useable, and could be unpredictable since people will be focusing on using emboars and reshirams, so don't count it out.

flareon's water weakness is very bad, but you could kill off some water pokes if you go first...or get lucky enough to survive their attacks. you could survive dewott's razor shell attack, for example, but it'll have to be at the risk of a coin flip, and also hope the person your dueling doesn't have a plus-power.

overall, I can see where this guy could help out the team, but it could also hinder it if it's not set up correctly, so I would have to give it a 7/10.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back