• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokemon Black and White 3: Genesis (COMPLETE!)

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
  • 4 badges in and I thought I'd drop a bit of feedback yet again. I really dig the difficulty curve for the most part but I'm not gonna lie, from route 20 (the eeveelution trainers) the difficulty jump was little too much. I mean, a vaporeon with aurora beam is a little too OP, not to mention the rest of the eeveelution battles weren't a cakewalk. Roxie was a maniac to battle with her scolipiede at level 36 and having X-scissor. Perhaps it's my fault that I found this hard because my team consists of a Frillish and Rufflet which are mons that require a ton of EXP to evolve as well as a cottonee which is painfully weak.

P.S: any idea on where I can get a sun tone to evolve my cottonee? Thank you!

Years
    • Online now
    4 badges in and I thought I'd drop a bit of feedback yet again. I really dig the difficulty curve for the most part but I'm not gonna lie, from route 20 (the eeveelution trainers) the difficulty jump was little too much. I mean, a vaporeon with aurora beam is a little too OP, not to mention the rest of the eeveelution battles weren't a cakewalk. Roxie was a maniac to battle with her scolipiede at level 36 and having X-scissor. Perhaps it's my fault that I found this hard because my team consists of a Frillish and Rufflet which are mons that require a ton of EXP to evolve as well as a cottonee which is painfully weak.

P.S: any idea on where I can get a sun tone to evolve my cottonee? Thank you!

Thanks, I'll take a look at that area. Also, Cottonee uses Leaf Stone instead of Sun Stone (and Sun Stone was removed). I tried to group the stone evos so they would make thematic sense, and wouldn't leave a bunch of stones that evolve just one or two things. The zip file has a text doc with all the Pokemon with evolution methods different from vanilla, if you're interested.

super fan de pokemon

Pokemon palmero
    Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Hello, I'm a new fan, a question, there is a date for the final version Another question will you change the protagonists

Last edited:
    Years
    • Online now
    Hello, I'm a new fan, a question, there is a date for the final version Another question will you change the protagonists

There is still a lot to do for the final version, so I don't have a solid date. I am aiming to have it finished some time during 2021. The final game will have new sprites for the protagonists, Gold and Kris are just being used as placeholders for the demo.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • There is still a lot to do for the final version, so I don't have a solid date. I am aiming to have it finished some time during 2021. The final game will have new sprites for the protagonists, Gold and Kris are just being used as placeholders for the demo.

Do you have any plans to port the 60 fps feature from Polished Crystal or prism? Also, do you plan to demake the original cries of the fifth gen Pokemon?

Years
    • Online now
    Do you have any plans to port the 60 fps feature from Polished Crystal or prism? Also, do you plan to demake the original cries of the fifth gen Pokemon?

I'm planning on porting the game to the Polished Crystal engine at some point, which will add a lot of features like the 60fps. Not sure when that'll take place though, since the devs of that game are still working on a big PC box overhaul, and I'll likely wait until that's finished to do the porting.

As for the cries, the GBC audio engine that handles them isn't too well understood yet, though there have been some folks (like music composer Mmmmmmmmmmm) who've been working on demaking newer cries, so depending on how that goes, I may be able to add some in by the time the next release is ready.

Genghoul

Composer & Aspiring ROM Hacker
    Years
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Oct 27, 2023
    Just got finished with the demo, and I really loved it! Definitely a little upset to hear that I'll have to abandon this team for the full release but that's totally understandable for all you have planned and I'm excited for when that gets completed.

The sprites, music, and maps are all really impressive and tastefully done. I think all of the puzzles were really well thought out, too, and really fun to solve. I really liked the hidden grotto implementation here. Fun little exploit I noticed; if your bag is full when you try to collect a shard, the grotto will continue to generate a different colored shard every time you interact with it. When I wanted to get a specific color shard so I could get a certain tutor move, I would make sure my bag was full and to also be carrying only the color shard I was looking for so I could only collect that kind. Similarly, I loved how many hidden items there were all around the region and how they were generally hinted at by the map design so it felt like it was really rewarding to pay close attention.

I will echo that the level curve could use some tweaks, as there were several spots where despite having battled every trainer, I was vastly outleveled by other trainers who could OHKO most of my party making it hard to win without going to grind or relying on good RNG. Notably, I play with battles on Set, and my friend who is also playing is not having as much of this issue on Shift although she also spends some time grinding against wild Pokemon with fast forward on, but is still noticing notable level spikes. I think some of the challenge is exacerbated by the abnormally high evolution level of many Pokemon in the Unova dex (in my party Litwick to Lampent at 41, Joltik to Galvantula at 36, and I abandoned my Vullaby after realizing it doesn't evolve until 54) which means I had first or second stage Pokemon up until around the 5th/6th gym. I do like the challenge though with trainers having Pokemon with movesets that cover their weaknesses and that many have held items, so it does require more strategy without being too overbearing. I'm not sure if there was a specific reason for not allowing the Exp. Share to be obtainable until after the 4th badge, but I think it would've been a huge help to my party to be available earlier, and to maybe have its location be a bit more telegraphed.

In terms of progression, I somehow managed to find and defeat the 6th gym before the 5th, and went all the way to the end of the sewers before realizing I couldn't use Strength yet and had to visit the towns I'd been to before to find it. I'm not sure if there was a moment in the plot where I didn't notice that the 5th gym became accessible, but my friend who is playing also had this happen. I have no problem with facing the gyms out of order, but this didn't feel like it was completely intended.

Some smaller issues I faced were some enemy Pokemon (like Scraggy and Liepard) had Thief in their moveset, which permanently takes my Pokemon's held item, and it felt pretty bad to lose my Eviolite and Scope Lens that way during my run. It would be nice if it could either be returned at the end of the battle or removed from enemy Pokemon's movesets. I really like the sideway stairs for map design and aesthetics, by I found that the pause after going up or down interrupted the flow of movement a lot as the camera worked to catch up. Could this be sped up at all? The last thing is more of a general Pokemon/Gen 2 thing, but a lot of enemy Pokemon carry confusion and sleep inducing moves which can be frustrating to be up against with the 50% self-damage rate of confusion and up to 5 turns of sleep present in Gen 2. I wonder if those couldn't be updated to gen VIII standards (33% chance of self-damage and a max of 3 turns sleeping)?

Really great hack and I'm looking forward to picking it up again in the future! (:

Years
    • Online now
    Just got finished with the demo, and I really loved it! Definitely a little upset to hear that I'll have to abandon this team for the full release but that's totally understandable for all you have planned and I'm excited for when that gets completed.

The sprites, music, and maps are all really impressive and tastefully done. I think all of the puzzles were really well thought out, too, and really fun to solve. I really liked the hidden grotto implementation here. Fun little exploit I noticed; if your bag is full when you try to collect a shard, the grotto will continue to generate a different colored shard every time you interact with it. When I wanted to get a specific color shard so I could get a certain tutor move, I would make sure my bag was full and to also be carrying only the color shard I was looking for so I could only collect that kind. Similarly, I loved how many hidden items there were all around the region and how they were generally hinted at by the map design so it felt like it was really rewarding to pay close attention.

I will echo that the level curve could use some tweaks, as there were several spots where despite having battled every trainer, I was vastly outleveled by other trainers who could OHKO most of my party making it hard to win without going to grind or relying on good RNG. Notably, I play with battles on Set, and my friend who is also playing is not having as much of this issue on Shift although she also spends some time grinding against wild Pokemon with fast forward on, but is still noticing notable level spikes. I think some of the challenge is exacerbated by the abnormally high evolution level of many Pokemon in the Unova dex (in my party Litwick to Lampent at 41, Joltik to Galvantula at 36, and I abandoned my Vullaby after realizing it doesn't evolve until 54) which means I had first or second stage Pokemon up until around the 5th/6th gym. I do like the challenge though with trainers having Pokemon with movesets that cover their weaknesses and that many have held items, so it does require more strategy without being too overbearing. I'm not sure if there was a specific reason for not allowing the Exp. Share to be obtainable until after the 4th badge, but I think it would've been a huge help to my party to be available earlier, and to maybe have its location be a bit more telegraphed.

In terms of progression, I somehow managed to find and defeat the 6th gym before the 5th, and went all the way to the end of the sewers before realizing I couldn't use Strength yet and had to visit the towns I'd been to before to find it. I'm not sure if there was a moment in the plot where I didn't notice that the 5th gym became accessible, but my friend who is playing also had this happen. I have no problem with facing the gyms out of order, but this didn't feel like it was completely intended.

Some smaller issues I faced were some enemy Pokemon (like Scraggy and Liepard) had Thief in their moveset, which permanently takes my Pokemon's held item, and it felt pretty bad to lose my Eviolite and Scope Lens that way during my run. It would be nice if it could either be returned at the end of the battle or removed from enemy Pokemon's movesets. I really like the sideway stairs for map design and aesthetics, by I found that the pause after going up or down interrupted the flow of movement a lot as the camera worked to catch up. Could this be sped up at all? The last thing is more of a general Pokemon/Gen 2 thing, but a lot of enemy Pokemon carry confusion and sleep inducing moves which can be frustrating to be up against with the 50% self-damage rate of confusion and up to 5 turns of sleep present in Gen 2. I wonder if those couldn't be updated to gen VIII standards (33% chance of self-damage and a max of 3 turns sleeping)?

Really great hack and I'm looking forward to picking it up again in the future! (:

Thanks for all the feedback! I recently finished re-distributing the wild Pokemon availability based more on evolution level, so that should ease some of the issues with carrying around unevolved Pokemon for such a long time. So that change will be present in the next release.

That's a good point regarding the Exp Share, I think I will change it to only require 3 badges rather than 4. I'll also see about making it more clear when the 5th Gym Leader becomes available.
    Spoiler:

Also, I agree that Thief shouldn't permanently remove player items, though unfortunately that was how it worked in vanilla Gen 2. I will at some point be moving this hack to use the Polished Crystal engine, which will fix the Thief mechanics (among other QoL improvements), but until then, I think I will just prevent Thief from stealing items if used by an enemy, if I put out another release before moving to Polished engine.

I'll also be looking at tweaking the difficulty, I'd aimed to make the battles tough but without requiring grinding, but I'd used Shift-type battles in my test playthrough rather than Set, so that's something I hadn't considered yet. Nice exploit regarding the shards, I think I may leave it alone for convenience sake lol.

Thanks!

Years
    • Online now
    I've finished up the first pass through the new player characters for BW3G. Meet Gene and Jenna! They'll finally replace Gold and Kris in the next release.

b2oADmZ.png

Years
    • Online now
    I love how you've done the male character sprite! Is the next release going to be the final one?

Thanks! I'm planning for the next release to be the "final" one, in terms of going up to the credits. I'll probably have a further update after that for adding postgame stuff. Also, I'm eventually going to port to the Polished Crystal engine, which will have tons of QoL updates, though I'm not sure if that will be before or after the next release. Kinda depends on how long it takes the PC devs to finish their major box overhaul.

Years
    • Online now
    Finished the basic layout of Village Bridge, ignore the ugly white space around the cables, I'm still working out the transparency on the priority tiles.

LCj5yEz.png

Years
    • Online now
    Thanks! Working on more North Unova maps currently, plus some other features like sideways waterfalls and an animation for riding the Mistralton airplane.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    I LOVE THIS GAME !!
    Gen5 is my ultimate favourite and playing it on a gameboy color was everything I wanted. Maps are incredible, I love the aesthetics of them they are basically art pieces. The selection of the pokemon is perfect. I wanted to use at least one pokemon from each route. Even if it is a demo the game was quite long and filled with content. It is hard too. I grind more than one occasion. The game looks awesome I wanted to say it one more time. I will definitely play it once it released. Some bugs and little things I want to say so you might wanna change:
    Spoiler:

Also, I want to share my team but I couldn't upload the image here. Isn't it possible to add directly from the computer?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Online now
    I LOVE THIS GAME !!
    Gen5 is my ultimate favourite and playing it on a gameboy color was everything I wanted. Maps are incredible, I love the aesthetics of them they are basically art pieces. The selection of the pokemon is perfect. I wanted to use at least one pokemon from each route. Even if it is a demo the game was quite long and filled with content. It is hard too. I grind more than one occasion. The game looks awesome I wanted to say it one more time. I will definitely play it once it released. Some bugs and little things I want to say so you might wanna change:
    Spoiler:

Also, I want to share my team but I couldn't upload the image here. Isn't it possible to add directly from the computer?

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for the bug reports too, I'll see if I can get them fixed.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Okay, I manage to upload this time. This is my team and progress. Thank you for this amazing experience.
    Spoiler:

Back