• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Pokemon Chaining Questions

Have you caught a shiny before with or without an pokeradar?

• I have caught a shiny

Votes: 98 54.7%
  • I have not caught a shiny yet

Votes: 81 45.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ársa

k.
    Years
    I Highly doubt you got 7 shiny ponytas in that chain. As I explained and gave an example of before, the best you can get the chances of a shiney down to is 1/200. That means you seeing 8 shiney ponytas would be next to impossible. 1/several billion. No way, no how.

No, you have the Einstein disease. Brains, yet no COMMON SENSE

I personaly go and buy 500+ Max Repels. Once I get to 45 odd, I stop, as the chances won't get higher. I then continue to reset my pokeradar until that shiny patch appears. A Max repel gives you 250 steps, correct? Pokeradar takes 50 to recharge. Take 50 for running to patches and overrunning the 50 step limit, we can say we get 4 resets per Max Repel.

Ok, say it takes approx 20 Max Repel to get to 40. (Being generous here) That leaves 480 Max Repels left.

480x4=1920

If what you say is correct, then every 1/200 pokemon should be a Shiny.

1920/200=9.6 Shinies

TwilightBlade is perfectly legitmate in her statement. You my friend, must learn common sense. BOIL AN EGG!

Regards,

~T_S

Last edited:
    Years
    Couple of things here. First off, I'm going to say:
    "How in Sam Hell did you get so many Max Repels at once!?!"
    Secondly, I'm going to try this from Tortured Soul:
    I personaly go and buy 500+ Max Repels. Once I get to 45 odd, I stop, as the chances won't get higher. I then continue to reset my pokeradar until that shiny patch appears. A Max repel gives you 250 steps, correct? Pokeradar takes 50 to recharge. Take 50 for running to patches and overrunning the 50 step limit, we can say we get 4 resets per Max Repel.

Thanks!

Ársa

k.
    Years
    Route 218 (I think, the one before Sunnyshore City) is a Rich Guy with a lv 60 Luxio. Attach an Amulet Coin to the lead pokemon, then when you defeat him he gives you approx 16,000 or something I think it was. Continue using the vs seeker, and the money racks up.

Second, are you being sarcastic on the second remark, or are you actually thanking me?

~T_S

ThePlaya

I Am The Charizard Master
    Years
    WoW!
    So many people are having good luck with shinies and some having bad luck....I'm part of the bad luck :P
    I havn't caught any shinies for a while
    And congratulations to the person who hatched a shinie totodile with dragon dance and ice punch....i hope it was adamant ><
    And congratulations to everyone else who has caught one.....and hope that those people with bad luck catching them catch millions of them...lol

Years
    Route 218 (I think, the one before Sunnyshore City) is a Rich Guy with a lv 60 Luxio. Attach an Amulet Coin to the lead pokemon, then when you defeat him he gives you approx 16,000 or something I think it was. Continue using the vs seeker, and the money racks up.

Second, are you being sarcastic on the second remark, or are you actually thanking me?

~T_S

Thanks for the update.

And no, I was actually thanking you!

ShadowTails

I'm working on a better Avatar
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 7, 2015
    I have 8 Shiny Slakoths and it was my longest chain, IIRC my chain broke finally at 114 at which I got tired of chaining. I haven't been doing much lately, just out of boredom I've been practicing the technique.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2008
    My longest chain is 19 Dittos, followed by 18 Bibarels and 17 Bidoofs. I got one shiny Roselia (which I evolved into a Roserade since it looks better) at the 5th battle in a 6 battle chain.

For all those still arguing odds try this: roll a dice 6 times. You most likely won't roll each side once. That's because each time you roll the dice, each outcome has an equal chance of occuring. Over time, the number of times each side lands up should equal out, but there's nothing to say you can't roll a 6 on the dice 48 times in a row. It's highly lucky, but still possible.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    well, i use pokeradar all the time and i've got many shinys from it.

my highest chain ever was 91 togepi and i got 6 shinys from that chain after reseting the radar for three hours on my chain of 40, i then decided that since my repels were running low i'd try my luck to see how high the chain would go :P

If we're talking most successful chainsmine would have to be smeargle where i got a shiny at a chain of 12 and then 12 more shinys once i reached 40!!!!!!! chain broke after the 12th shiny cos it was on the edge of the patch (52 chain)

however my luckiest chain ever was when i got a hoppip shiny on a chain of 2!!! i saw the patch shine and could barely believe it myself what with all the statistics in place there.

But if anyone starts saying "thats impossible, chances of finding 12 smeargle one after the other...blah blah blah.... i got them through resetting the radar over the course of 4 hours and therefore not all that impossible don't you think?

Mega Flare

Bahamut
    Years
    I have caught 2 shinies without PokeRadar,
    One Red Gyarados in the Lake where you find Mesprit (lawl! The search for the Red Gyarados! < See start of game). I was fishing with my Super Rod, EVing my Garchomp, then the mystical Red Gyarados appeared! Lol.
    My second one was a Shiny Illumise.
    I was levelling up my already-EV'd Garchomp and poof! Shiny Illumise!
    Both on the same week, I think.

The Gyarados was caught at 11:02 P.M., December 25.
    Illumise was caught at 2:48 A.M., December 26.
    Huweeeeh!

Years
    For the first time I've started some intense breeding (no childish comments xD) in preparation for making my team. Finding it hard though so to supress my impatience and anger, I think I'll go slap some trainers in the Battle Tower.

super onii chan

I think I'm here to stay
    Years
    thats gay my highest was 38 and i had no shinys i kept doin stupid things like forget to use max repel and there goes my chain.... so i need help chaining ive seen like ever utube vid on it plz someone help me out

Years
    I have caught 2 shinies without PokeRadar,
    One Red Gyarados in the Lake where you find Mesprit (lawl! The search for the Red Gyarados! < See start of game). I was fishing with my Super Rod, EVing my Garchomp, then the mystical Red Gyarados appeared! Lol.
    My second one was a Shiny Illumise.
    I was levelling up my already-EV'd Garchomp and poof! Shiny Illumise!
    Both on the same week, I think.

The Gyarados was caught at 11:02 P.M., December 25.
    Illumise was caught at 2:48 A.M., December 26.
    Huweeeeh!

Lovely Christmas Pokémon Present for you then, Mega Flare ;).

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2008
    I'm not really clued up on how the Pokéradar and chains work. :(

However I've caught some shinies in the wild, including: Wailmer, Nidoran(male), Burmy, Dratini, Clampearl, Togepi(hatched), Gastly, Roselia and Magikarp.

Years
    I'm not really clued up on how the Pokéradar and chains work. :(

However I've caught some shinies in the wild, including: Wailmer, Nidoran(male), Burmy, Dratini, Clampearl, Togepi(hatched), Gastly, Roselia and Magikarp.

Although I haven't had the chance, I think I can help you out on the Chaining part.

Chaining is when you face off against the same Pokémon.

Say, you found a Shinx via Pokéradar. You can defeat it or Catch it, and the Pokéradar will show you more locations (You can't run otherwise the Chain and Pokéradar will reset). But when you defeat Shinx, the Pokéradar shows more Wild Pokémon Locations. If you find another Shinx, you have a Chain initiated with 2. So you find 1 Shinx that initiates again, and you find another Shinx right after making it a 2 Chain. If you find another Pokémon (Say Bidoof for example), the Chain will break so if you get Shinx Shinx Bidoof, the Chain will become a 2-Chain and break at the Bidoof. Best way to find the same Pokémon to Chain is to search the Grass FURTHEST away from you. Also, don't go straight upwards, as your Character blocks your field of view thus making a possibility of another Pokémon being there. One last thing I was told was that the higher your Chain, the more Chance you have of spotting a Shiny Pokémon. There should be a Pokétch Add-on to allow you to review your top 3 Chains.

That's about all I know. That is 90% Reliable however so it might work or might not. Hope this makes more sense now. If you have any Questions I'm a Private Message away.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back