• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokemon Crystal Clear 2016 [NOT THE OPEN WORLD HACK!]

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 2, 2021
THIS IS NOT THE OPEN WORLD ROMHACK! This is an earlier hack with the same name.

Overview
Pokemon Crystal Clear came from me being frustrated with some parts of the original Pokemon Crystal. The gym rosters were awful (Falkner having a level 9 Pidgeotto, Bugsy having Metapod and Kakuna...), it was incredibly easy, a lot of the new Pokemon had really boring types, the HMs sucked and forced you to have 3 Water and Normal type moves, etc. So when I learned that Crystal had been disassembled and could be edited to my liking, I got to work, talking with my friends about what to change and really having fun with the whole thing. The project is almost purely gameplay oriented, with some new dialogue and graphics - it doesn't try to redefine Crystal, just makes it how I wish it had been all those years ago. It was created by myself, with the use of the Pokemon Crystal dissassembly, and, obviously, Game Freak. Please enjoy!

Features
  • 5 new Pokemon have been added:
  • 5d5rdAq.png
    Calfeebl, the Farm Baby Pokemon. Evolves into Tauros or Miltank depending on its gender
  • 4J0LBzY.png
    Fawnov, the Littlehorn Pokemon. Evolves into Stantler when happy enough
  • yvYwtMY.png
    Plessie, the Kindly Pokemon. Evolves into Lapras when happy enough
  • ka0yCsl.png
    Samuright, the Honorable Pokemon. Evolves from Farfetch'd when happy enough
  • SUODyFT.png
    And a secret fifth! Find it for yourself
  • Pokemon have been changed, some slightly, some drastic. Many poor or uninteresting Pokemon have been given new typing, moves, evolution methods, and stats. Take nothing for granted, and try some new teammates - they might surprise you!
  • Moves have been rebalanced and renamed. For example, Present may deal catastrophic damage and Doubleslap will always hit twice. HMs are also quite a bit more powerful and varied in typing
  • TMs can be used as many times as you like
  • New moves have been added, like Swarm, a strong Bug type move
  • New items have been added, like the Alloy Stone, Fabled Stone, and Roe. Many wild Pokemon hold items now
  • Every trainer's roster has been buffed and given diversity, especially Gym Leaders, providing a more challenging and interesting experience
  • Every Pokemon can be obtained through various means. Every route has a diverse bounty of Pokemon to find, and new legendary fights are sprawled throughout Kanto and Johto
  • No trading is necessary for evolution - Pokemon who previously evolved through trade now evolve in other ways
  • Types have been rebalanced - Ice is far stronger defensively, resisting Water, Grass, and Dragon as well as itself. Grass now does normal damage against Flying and Dragon types, and Ghost does normal damage against Steel types
  • Ghost is now Special and Dark is now Physical. Considering how most Dark type moves involved biting and hitting, and how Ghosts are intangible, this seemed logical
  • Gender based evolution has been added for Nidoran and Calfeebl
  • Both Kanto and Johto starters can be chosen from at the beginning
  • New menu icons added
  • Lavender Town has its RBY music back, and the creation of the Radio Tower there may have spawned something unfortunate...
  • Rarely, very high level Pokemon can be found in Kanto, to make wild encounters that were otherwise pitiful in that region more interesting
  • Several small glitches, like Kurt's custom Pokeballs not working properly, have been fixed
  • Your mom actually believes you when you say you know how to use the Pokegear (and other small, sensible dialogue fixes)
  • For the benefit of those playing, here are some hints: - Horsea is now a split evolution, and both it and Graveler require a stone to evolve.

Screenshots
AHw9Inv.png

Download
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yjaszqb8pq04ull/AAB7LjTvyfIe7XNhifPr7urLa?dl=0 Check the README for info on how to install.

Last edited:

HoennTM

Will my hack be done soon? Probably not.
Years
Looks interesting, will give this a go. There are not too many hacks from 2nd gen that add extra Pokemon, I want to use that Farfetch'd evo because the base form is terrible :/

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Looks interesting but I'm not a fan of you changing around type effectiveness - I can understand your reasoning behind it but it's really unnecessary and only serves to confuse your players who've been playing with the same types for years. It really turns me off from playing if I'm expected to relearn all these basics just for a single hack.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 2, 2021
Looks interesting, will give this a go. There are not too many hacks from 2nd gen that add extra Pokemon, I want to use that Farfetch'd evo because the base form is terrible :/

great, please enjoy!

Looks interesting but I'm not a fan of you changing around type effectiveness - I can understand your reasoning behind it but it's really unnecessary and only serves to confuse your players who've been playing with the same types for years. It really turns me off from playing if I'm expected to relearn all these basics just for a single hack.

i'm sorry to hear that! still, the type changes are quite minor, just some resistances made normally effective and vice versa - i don't think they'll majorly impact your gameplay

Years
Bulbasaur's Pokeball isn't removed if you choose it as your starter - this is a consequence of the way Elm's lab is set up and I can't change it. Thankfully this is very minor
This makes little sense assuming you didn't mess up the script. Each of the three scripts causes a different one of the pokeballs to disappear, independently of what the species of the starter is.
Pokedex searching for Ghost will bring up Dark types and vice versa
Replace GHOST with DARK in this list. https://github.com/pret/pokecrystal...dfc5171e083f63532109/engine/pokedex.asm#L1997
Edit: You probably worked over an older version that hadn't labeled the types in the pokedex search so they weren't accounted for when you edited the types. If you only see a bunch of numbers where the types list should be, just replace them with the updated list and then replace ghost with dark.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 2, 2021
This makes little sense assuming you didn't mess up the script. Each of the three scripts causes a different one of the pokeballs to disappear, independently of what the species of the starter is.

mm, i see what you mean! but the problem is that with the amount of events are in elm's lab, calling the disappear function on bulbasaur's pokeball event will instead remove the player character. i might see if i can't find a way to consolidate some events together, but for now this works fine.

Replace GHOST with DARK in this list. https://github.com/pret/pokecrystal...dfc5171e083f63532109/engine/pokedex.asm#L1997
Edit: You probably worked over an older version that hadn't labeled the types in the pokedex search so they weren't accounted for when you edited the types. If you only see a bunch of numbers where the types list should be, just replace them with the updated list and then replace ghost with dark.

i'll do that, thanks!

Years
disappear $1 always references the player sprite. you should look at which the sprite id of each pokeball is and call the disappear command with id+1 as the argument.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 2, 2021
putting $10 or more after disappear deletes the player sprite, at least from what i tested, and since there are 9 events on the map, bulbasaur's id is 10

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 2, 2021
oh, so $ denotes hex, i had no idea. cheers, i'm sure that'll fix it right up!

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Are these new 5 Fakemon replacements of some of the Pokemon, or completely new ones, making it 256 in total?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 2, 2021
Are these new 5 Fakemon replacements of some of the Pokemon, or completely new ones, making it 256 in total?

a mixture of both. as i am a novice to hacking, i was only able to fill up 1 of what are technically 4 available slots for new pokemon (000, 252, 254, 255 - 253 is EGG.) 252 worked out fine, but i didn't seem to be able to execute the rest properly. i got another slot by consolidating nidoran female and nidoran male into one species - nidoran - that now evolves based on its gender. besides that i replaced 3 with new ones - i removed igglybuff, cleffa, and qwilfish in favor of adding needed pre-evolutions for stronger pokemon and type diversity, respectively

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
how long is this hack currently? How many badges are available to collect?

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
wow nice. Are there any storyline changes by chance? or at the very least changed dialogue? Some vanilla text really doesn't work too well even for the time crystal was originally released I feel, especially when you defeat the rocket executives in the radio tower. I figured I'd mention it if you were to update the game further for whatever reason.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 2, 2021
a bit of the dialogue was changed but for the most part it's intact. i'll take a look at the example you mentioned though!

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
yeah specifically I always found it strange how the final executive would just fold so easily after being beaten in the radio tower's top floor, I sorta expected something more drastic at that point considering Team Rocket was pretty wicked with their mind control scheme after all. But it was the GBC era, it isn't like there was much to be done like there was since the 3rd gen onwards.

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
Hey I'm enjoying your hack but do you have a list of PKMN locations? I think that would totally complete this hack.

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
Thanks! My current team with 6 badges is this:
1. Parasect Lv 39
2. Charizard Lv 40
3. Alakazam Lv 40
4. Gyarados Lv 40
5. Muk Lv 40

Back