• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokemon Emerald Final v7.41 (updated January 18th 2023)

Years
  • I have another suggestion but it's a very subjective one. Would it be possible to have the decapitalization patch be an optional one? It just feels very off to me personally and takes away some of the nostalgia. I'm trying to get used to so many text elements being not in caps anymore but I just can't seem to adapt to this rather big change. Other than that I absolutely love the ROM hack so far! I really hope this feedback isn't too negative.

Sure it's possible, I was toying around with the idea of making Emerald Final completely modular while I was re-coding the whole thing for v7 (still made a few mistakes haha) though the issue is its a lot of extra work to keep updating all that, I could look into a recapitalization patch, if what I'm thinking of works the way I think, that shouldn't be a problem.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated, so don't hesitate to tell me something you think I should know!

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2019
    Sure it's possible, I was toying around with the idea of making Emerald Final completely modular while I was re-coding the whole thing for v7 (still made a few mistakes haha) though the issue is its a lot of extra work to keep updating all that, I could look into a recapitalization patch, if what I'm thinking of works the way I think, that shouldn't be a problem.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated, so don't hesitate to tell me something you think I should know!

Alright, cool! I'll keep an eye on your updates then :)

Years
  • Alright, cool! I'll keep an eye on your updates then :)

I got a re-capitalization patch ready for ya, it literally undoes the de-capitalization patch from Le Pug so it would work on any hack that uses it but obviously any additional text added won't be affected, also any pokemon caught before applying this patch will not have their names capitalized. Let me know if there are any problems!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u42k2hu7u9r94kr/Pokemon%20Emerald%20Recapitalization.ips?dl=0

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2019
    I got a re-capitalization patch ready for ya, it literally undoes the de-capitalization patch from Le Pug so it would work on any hack that uses it but obviously any additional text added won't be affected, also any pokemon caught before applying this patch will not have their names capitalized. Let me know if there are any problems!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u42k2hu7u9r94kr/Pokemon%20Emerald%20Recapitalization.ips?dl=0

Wow that was fast, thanks a lot! I'll try it out as soon as I can.

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2019
    Hi! That's really nice well done. I just want to ask about eon ticket which is not found anywhere.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hi! That's really nice well done. I just want to ask about eon ticket which is not found anywhere.

YEP I missed that one, its item ID is not near the rest of the event items so I didn't realize that it wasn't there, will fix that in the next update. Thanks for the heads up!

Years
  • Another small update today, added missing Event Ticket to the Lilycove mart (thanks to Stivenikos for the heads up) and as per requested, there are now some informational signs in the EV Training Cave explaining which stat is trained where (suggestion from kalil92) and also the nurse has been given the same "turn around after healing" script (that was an oversight on my end when I implemented the script originally).
    Also I have added the re-capitalization patch requested by Gunzzzzmaster to the "Optional Patches" folder as well as a quick readme about the optional patches.

If this post hasn't made it clear, I am always willing to entertain suggestions and requests, so please let me know if you have any ideas or feedback!

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2019
    Hi, sorry for yet another comment but I just wanted to raise awareness of a bug that only happens when playing on real hardware (like Virtual Console on 3DS, which is how I play the hack) exactly as described here. It seems to be a vanilla bug (though I don't recall having this issue on my own actual cartridge) and I was wondering if maybe this could be fixed with a patch.

Note that this doesn't seem to occur when using an emulator.

Btw I really appreciate the quick patches you bring out, incredible work! Thanks for being an amazing contributor for the community!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hi, sorry for yet another comment but I just wanted to raise awareness of a bug that only happens when playing on real hardware (like Virtual Console on 3DS, which is how I play the hack) exactly as described here. It seems to be a vanilla bug (though I don't recall having this issue on my own actual cartridge) and I was wondering if maybe this could be fixed with a patch.

Note that this doesn't seem to occur when using an emulator.

Btw I really appreciate the quick patches you bring out, incredible work! Thanks for being an amazing contributor for the community!

I'm not sure if I can do anything about that, frankly this is the first I'm hearing that ROMs can be played on a 3DS so it's a little outside my wheel house.

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2019
    I'm not sure if I can do anything about that, frankly this is the first I'm hearing that ROMs can be played on a 3DS so it's a little outside my wheel house.

Heh no problem at all. I thought I'd just mention it since there's very little to be found about this issue in the first place. I wasn't expecting you to be able to fix it so no worries.

ROMs can be played on a 3DS with custom firmware in 2 ways: through emulation (using something like mGBA, same as on pc) or by injecting it in the Virtual Console. The latter uses the actual hardware as if a GBA would run it. I think you'd get the same result with a flashcart in a real GBA, maybe that method is more familiar to you.

On a completely different note, you mentioned thinking about having items like Metal Coat be usable items, like the Stones, as a way of evolving certain Pokémon (like Scyther). I came across a Platinum hack that has implemented it exactly like that, so maybe that could be of some use to you. I'm a complete ROM hacking noob so I have no idea if it could help you at all, being an NDS ROM hack.

An other implementation I saw was using Bill's Teleporter in Fire Red as a way to trade with yourself. So you'd put in a Pokémon like Haunter or a Scyther holding Metal Coat and they'd come out evolved. Just to give you some ideas if you ever decide to look into changing the way you handle these evolutions. (Not saying you should.)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2019
    After a few hours of playing (taking my time exploring this hack, not blazing through) I encountered some bugs. In Petalburg Woods in Vanilla, there's a confined area behind 2 cuttable bushes where you could find lots of Shroomish, and occasionally the rather uncommon Slakoth. In your hack however, after 30 mins of searching I couldn't find either one. I just found the usual Petalburg Woods finds (plus the ones you added like Weedle etc). This might have been an oversight when adding in new Pokémon. I wonder if other confined areas in the game are affected as well. In the bushes just east of Petalburg City for example I couldn't find any Ralts either (though tbf I didn't look very long).
    Ignore this first bit, after doing some research I learned that Shroomish and Slakoth spawn anywhere in Petalburg Woods so I simply must've been very unlucky.

Another bug I encountered was Nincada's Pokédex Registration after catching it. The text is offset too much causing it to move off screen as shown in the added picture.
    nK3ujXo.jpg

I hope my feedback is of some value to you!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Another bug I encountered was Nincada's Pokédex Registration after catching it. The text is offset too much causing it to move off screen as shown in the added picture.

I hope my feedback is of some value to you!

Well aware of that bug, its only a visual glitch and as far as I can tell there isn't a way to fix it without removing the XY style pokemon catching (which gives EXP) and I like that feature too much to remove it lol

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2019
    Well aware of that bug, its only a visual glitch and as far as I can tell there isn't a way to fix it without removing the XY style pokemon catching (which gives EXP) and I like that feature too much to remove it lol

Oh ok gotcha. Rather strange how it's tied to that feature, is it only with Nincada? And yeah I like that feature too.

I spent a few more hours in Petalburg Woods in hopes of adding a Bulbasaur to my team but no luck so far. The other spawns now seem fine based on what I encountered. I'm curious, how low did you make the starters' encounter chance? I saw an older comment of you saying that they are on the rare side, I must be very unlucky again :p

Years
  • Oh ok gotcha. Rather strange how it's tied to that feature, is it only with Nincada? And yeah I like that feature too.

I spent a few more hours in Petalburg Woods in hopes of adding a Bulbasaur to my team but no luck so far. The other spawns now seem fine based on what I encountered. I'm curious, how low did you make the starters' encounter chance? I saw an older comment of you saying that they are on the rare side, I must be very unlucky again :p

No it's not just Nincada, I am not sure which pokemon are affected by it. All the starters are set to a 1% encounter rate so it takes a bit of luck, and they are all around level 5 so best not hit them too hard lol

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2019
    No it's not just Nincada, I am not sure which pokemon are affected by it. All the starters are set to a 1% encounter rate so it takes a bit of luck, and they are all around level 5 so best not hit them too hard lol

Wow I thought it'd be a lot lower, because it certainly doesn't feel like 1%. I've been encountering and spamming run for multiple hours now and still no Bulbasaur. Are you sure the other added gen 1 Pokémon in Petalburg Woods didn't unintentionally lower this 1% further (since there are more Pokémon to find)? Either way I'd love it if you could verify this just to be sure. If you happen to have some kind of Pokémon encounter chance chart for each area that could be helpful too.

If I really am just super unlucky, then maybe the encounter rate should be slightly higher to avoid situations like this. I've had multiple shiny hunts with better success so that doesn't really feel right. I agree that they should be rare but currently it seems impossible :)

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I just tested the download link and extracted it myself with no problem, if you want I can send you the files individually, there's three IPS files to choose from, one with the Day/Night Cycle, one with it not affecting battles, and one without. Which one do you want?
    Can you help me with those files too? I have very little experience in patching so if you could help me with the files and some guidelines it would be greatly appreciated please ;-;
    And I'm not picky any files you have work, I don't care about having or not having the day/night cycle. Thank you very much in advance!

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2019
    Can you help me with those files too? I have very little experience in patching so if you could help me with the files and some guidelines it would be greatly appreciated please ;-;
    And I'm not picky any files you have work, I don't care about having or not having the day/night cycle. Thank you very much in advance!

You just open Lunar IPS, select your Pokemon Emerald ROM (grab a copy so you don't patch the original) and press ok, then select the version of the ROM Hack you want to apply to this ROM and press ok. That's it. Now run this patched ROM with your emulator of choice.

If you want to add any optional patches as well, you just open Lunar IPS again, open your hacked ROM, and apply the optional patches on top of that. Best of luck!

Years
  • Can you help me with those files too? I have very little experience in patching so if you could help me with the files and some guidelines it would be greatly appreciated please ;-;

After a quick Google search I found a pretty thorough looking guide on how to patch IPS files, let me know if it helps!
    https://fantasyanime.com/patching

Use the manual method detailed in his video and it should work just fine :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2019
    This looks great but I'm looking for some clarity. Do the Gen 5 and 6 move patches add moves from those generation's or do they only alter the stats of gen 3 moves?

I ask because your hack has the best quality of life improvements I have found but I love my scyther with X scissor and Night slash!

Years
  • This looks great but I'm looking for some clarity. Do the Gen 5 and 6 move patches add moves from those generation's or do they only alter the stats of gen 3 moves?

I ask because your hack has the best quality of life improvements I have found but I love my scyther with X scissor and Night slash!

Sadly it's just the stats for now, adding in new moves, pokemon, and abilities are beyond my skill at the moment. I'm hoping to eventually have optional patches that add in the 4th gen additions (though not all 493, just the cross gen evolutions like Dusknoir or Probopass).
    Thank you for your comment by the way, nothing I love more than to see people are enjoying my work here :)

Back