• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokemon Emerald Rogue

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2022
    Honestly an amazing romhack and incredibly fun -- however, I unfortunately encountered a bug ~3.5 hours into a run, where my Cacturne died (reducing its HP to 0), and THEN its sticky barb kicked in, affecting its health. At that point the entire game froze even though the music was still playing, and all I could do was reset the emulator. At that point, the game thought I lost during my FIRST save, and I lost several hours of progress -- including two legendary encounters, and a shiny.

This romhack is incredibly fun, I'm just not sure I'll play again as having that experience invalidate all the time I spent on my Sunday night was pretty frustrating and it's hard to know if something similar will happen again.

I know it can be annoying but this should be a lesson to use save states on your emulators, especially when playing a custom romhack because it's inevitable little bugs will occur, some being so uncertain that it breaks the game once or twice.
    Had you save stated you couldve simply lost say 20 minutes since your last save not tied to the rom's memory at all.

Word of advice is all, sorry you lost your progress and I hope you hop back in again soon; I've sunk almost 75 hours into this game and the long-run grind feels so rewarding getting max IV mons in the bank and a solid crop rotation going underneath. Keep at it!

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2022
    I made an account just to say thank you for this hack.
    I found out about it through acko2fly video on Youtube.

This idea is incredible and I will have a blast playing it on my PS Vita :D

Thank you Thank you Thank you :D

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2022
    I had a save file that I accidentially deleted with a mew that I got from an npc, how do you get that mew because i cannot find the quest that gets it

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2023
    When I try patching it via Rom Patcher JS it says "Source ROM checksum mismatch" and the produced rom does not work, what version of Emerald do I need?

I don't know. I used Vimms Lair for my Emerald ROM, so maybe try that one? That's really all the advice I can give

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2023
    Also I finally got my first shiny (it took... 4 runs? One crashed, one ended after the first elite 4 member, one ended early, and my current). So now I have a shiny Rayquaza before the Elite 4. Sorry Batu the Xatu.

Edit: Turns out Dr Drag wasn't my first shiny. That would be an Ekans. Also I found a shiny in the Safari Zone despite never finding the original shiny. So that's pretty neat.

Edit: Woop, finally beat the Elite 4 + Champion. But I do have a question... Why did the Champion have certain legendaries? (Spoilers for the Champion fight)
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    It's been a while since I've had so much fun with a ROM Hack. Great job and thanks for sharing!

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2023
    Hello, I'd like to request something on the art side of the game. If there is any chance in the future patches to update the overworld character sprites to the gen 4 style, something like the sprites in Pokemon R.O.W.E., they also have a small shadow beneath them and that all together looks so much better than the regular Emerald sprites in my opinion. Also just wanted to say that this is one of the best ROM hacks I've ever played, thanks!

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2022
    I enjoy this game a lot, currently trying to nuzelock it on hard mode. But sometimes my party gets limited to 5 pokemon is this normal or a bug?

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2022
    Hi! I've been playing this hack a ton and I love it!

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but I think that Pursuit as a move is bugged. If you use it as the first move in a turn, you usually get "but it failed", but instead, the game just softlocks. I've run into a million Murkrow that cause this issue. Also, Instant text speed tends to softlock at random, but I'm not too sure what the cause would be.

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2023
    Been playing this ROM Hack and it's brilliant! Super impressive work and would love to see more ROMs with this level of ingenuity in them in the future.

I do have one request; could you make it so when you catch a Pokemon you can look at it's Summary before you have to choose a mon to switch? Maybe use the "Double Battle" screen to display the new Pokemon as an option for Summary?

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2023
    So for some reason when I try to boot it up, I'm left with a white screen and no activity. Any solutions?

Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2022
    Hi,
    Awesome work on this romhack!

I got one question, I completed a full run and thus from my understanding I should be able to catch legendaries from my previous run in the safari zone, right?
    I think I encountered one just after finishing the run but I just shut off the game and now I can't find those anymore.

Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2022
    Hi,

Are the pokemon past generation 3 limited to post 8 badges in the ex version? I have not been able to encounter any pokemon past generation 3, but still have access to the fairy typing on some pokemon (like mawile and togepi). Additionally, when speaking with the professor at one of the rest stops, it said my togetic had no evolution options, though I wasnt able to get a shiny stone so I was unable to test this. I used the marcrobledo patcher if that helps.

Crims0nfangs

Feral Dog
    Years
  • Hey! Made an account specifically to comment on this hack because its amazing, I've been playing nonstop for about a week now!
    Its really fun and addicting, and the variety of different options for runs keeps the battles and challenges fresh! Because I've had so much fun and played through a ton of runs already I wanted to drop my experiences with bugs, in case it's helpful.

I've never experienced any sort of team wipe glitch, and very few bugs for that matter. I've encountered a few black screen crashes, especially upon entering an area from the route hub. Its happened in graveyard, market and routes (hasn't occurred for gym leaders, or other locations in my experience, so far.) I typically back up often in my emulator so it wasn't a big deal each time.
    Another thing, I noticed anytime an opponent has a Giratina they get stuck in a loop of constantly switching it out until it's forced to attack as the last Pokemon left. They send it in presumably to counter the Pokemon I have in field only to immediately switch to something sub optimal. This makes this seem like a bug- it just doesn't seem right.
    This one is probably well documented too but the sprites glitch out on the bike. Purely visual from what I can see, personally I just ignore it lol, you can still tell where item tiles and such are.

I guess the one thing I'd really like to see, besides previous run stats- which are being added - is an option to provide more variety in Gym Leaders/Champions. Characters from other games or maybe just randomizing current leaders teams. Fighting the same Leaders with the same types does feel repetitive. Besides that, amazing hack,and I'll definitely keep sinking hours into it!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2022
    I used the expanded file and can play the game, yet I only get mons up to Gen 4.
    Did I do something wrong? I assumed I would get to play with mons up to Gen 8?

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2022
    Fantastic game! It's very well done, I'm addicted. I'm not sure if this is a bug or if it's intended, but I can't seem to find Calyrex in the safari. I caught a Calyrex shadow on an adventure, but it will not show up in the safari, even when I focus just the one generation.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2023
    Humbly , before I offer any suggestions and criticism, I have to extoll Emerald Rogue's incredible polish and addictiveness. I can't put this damn thing down; over 100 hours over the past two months! As a result of my obsession, I'd like to offer some ideas that popped into my head that might fit in with the vision of the hack.

Basic Suggestions:

-Let players immediately see which Pokemon are available on any given route: Removing the question marks takes away some surprise, but greatly reduces Mach Bike bunny-hopping 😆

-Increase trainer battle pay-outs as the player progresses: Right now, it's perhaps too easy to farm with the Amulet Coin over the first few segments and avoid trainers from then on out.

-Give Gym Leaders Permanent Weather: A dominant strategy for ER is to run a rain core. Rain counters or goes neutral against every Gym Leader other than Watson, and water Pokemon are nearly ubiquitous. Letting Roxanne and Flannery have permanent weather (and maybe ensuring every Pokemon Juan uses can counter water somehow) would, in theory, foster more creative team building. Maybe add this as an "Insane Mode" toggle?

-Add Additional Gym Leaders: This one might sound a little glib and obvious, but preparing for a forthcoming major fight from a larger pool of Gym Leaders should also foster more creative team building (barring an emergent tendency to middle of the road solutions). Maybe keep Hoenn's 8 for the players' first Hall of Fame run, and add in Leaders that cover the 9 other types for subsequent playthroughs. Maybe let players select a region's Gym Leaders?

-Let players glimpse who the next Gym Leader might be: Perhaps a Channeler NPC tucked at the top of every "route path" could clue players in on one of e.g. two possible Gym Leaders they might face next. Maybe this could cost some P$?

More Conceptual Suggestions:

-Add Fixed Teams for Gym Leaders: At the cost of unpredictability, perhaps some Gym encounters could feature fixed teams. Maybe this could be done for evenly numbered encounters (ensuring the Champion has a fixed team). Fixed teams can have more powerful synergies and thus be way more difficult. Like some of my other suggestions, I think this would be a welcome toggle.

-Add friendly NPCs within routes. For instance:
    -The bike shop owner might pop up and offer to swap bikes for some fee (consequently, some HM hazards might need to be removed/reverted).
    -Some Nurses could be coupled with idling trainers (i.e. guaranteed healing after taking a risk for P$).
    -Nurses un-coupled from trainers could be altruistic, or undercover Grunts.
    -Ace Trainers could offer to trade Pokemon after being defeated.

-Reduce the amount of time spent in the bag: This one's a little tricky. I reckon an easy first step would be to eliminate nature mints (reducing the amount of bag space they take, and thus inventory management) and replace them with a nature changing NPC (reducing the time spent sifting through a cluttered bag).

-Add an alternate exit to some routes: Self-explanatory; maybe place unique obstacles in front of either. For example, one exit might follow a bunch of roaming, weaker trainers, while its opposite has a single but forced strong battle.

Out-There, Wacky Conceptual Changes:

-Add secret exits to routes: This one ought to be a programming nightmare, admittedly. Basically, the idea is that on certain routes, players have to use a key item (e.g. called the Escape Rope) over a correct tile to progress. Possible exit tiles are to be somehow marked (e.g. with flowers). To determine the correct tile, players may hone in on one of several 3x3 groups and eliminate rows/columns. Eliminating possibilities would be accomplished by receiving procedurally generated clues from e.g. sign posts, NPCs, and/or defeated trainers. Players could attempt to escape prematurely, i.e. before narrowing escape down to a single possible tile, but risk guessing incorrectly and incurring some penalty (e.g. getting ambushed by a powerful trainer who pays out nothing).

-Save a Pokemon for later at the Day Care: Often, players encounter a Pokemon that isn't immediately useful or might be useful down the road (e.g. it evolves late, its evolution item isn't at hand, or it's most useful against a specific Gym Leader). One way to perhaps add a layer of strategy (admittedly by removing some risks, and therefore converse strategies), is to let players deposit one Pokemon at a "Day Care" in rest stops. This Pokemon could be retrieved for some fee that corresponds to however many Gym Leaders players have defeated since depositing it.

-Let Pokemon grow with the player: I reason that using a Pokemon and keeping it alive for as long as possible should carry additional rewards. So, if a Pokemon participates in a victory, perhaps it should gain IVs in some stat. This would be most appreciated by players who typically turn off EVs, like myself. Additionally/alternatively, perhaps make it so EVs can be reassigned at rest stops . Even more, maybe partner Pokemon could retain their increased IVs... which paradoxically brings me to my last point.

-Rework how "permanent items" purchased from the hub relate to the adventure: Undoubtedly my most radical suggestion, this one cuts to the heart of my main discrepancy with roguelikes: You often can't determine whether you're improving over time or reaping the benefits of persistent failure. Therefore, instead of items transferring 1:1 from the hub to adventure, buying items in the hub would instead make them more likely to appear in adventure opposed to alternatives. I have no particular formula in mind for this system; an ideal would likely have to be derived from play-testing. Essentially, this would force players to earn their way to victory, while still letting them carve out favourable paradigms. This might be the basis of an Insane mode.

Thank you for indulging this lengthy post from but a meager fan and lapsed hacker, but more importantly, thank you for Emerald Rogue! 😁

Back