• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokemon Emerald Semi-Randomiser

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2023
    Pokemon Emerald Semi-Randomiser

Hi! There are a lot of very creative and talented people here. In contrast, I am a huge nerd who loves numbers.

Presenting: The Emerald Semi-Randomiser!
    What does that mean?
    Usually, every trainer in the game has a team hand-picked by the developers according to level, difficulty, class etc. I believe I have created an algorithm that emulates that process, and picks an appropriate team every time you start a pokemon battle. This means every trainer battle in the game is new each time you play it- but never truly random. In this romhack, you're forced to play blind against whatever terrors my algorithm has generated for you.
    As of a3, your encounters are randomised too!

I've combined this with a couple of small QoL changes (with more planned) to release a beta. Ultimately, I want to create a pokemon game you can play comfortably from your bed without itching to look up boss teams or level caps on your phone.

Changelist (besides the obvious)
    Spoiler:

Screenshots of gameplay:
    Spoiler:

What's happening behind the scenes?:
    Spoiler:

Can I play this?
    Probably!! I've included a bps patch as an attachment, which you can apply here.
    I can only give a resounding "it SHOULD work!" to the mod as a whole, which is why I'm putting out a beta. I want to fine-tune the difficulty curve and squash any remaining bugs. Please let me know what you think!
    Note, if you try this- Rival battles have been 'fixed' so that they always have their starter, so the first rival battle will be the same as vanilla. The randomising begins at the first youngster.
    Current version: a3

Credits
    I totally stole this idea off of PokemonChallenges' stream because he was talking about it and I thought I'd try my hand at it. Shout outs to the people in pret discord who put up with my shenaniganery, I've never coded C before so it was real helpful to have people to nudge me in the right direction. And thank you to Alex N for so much early feedback!
    Uses the following premade edits:
    - Reusable TMs courtesy of Paccy and Hiroshi Sotomura
    - Sold Out! TMs from Lunos
    - Running Indoors by TheXaman
    - DizzyEgg's Nature Colouring
    - NobodySociety's No-Reel Fishing

Attachments

• emerald_semirandomiser_a3.bps
      8.7 MB · Views: 190
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2023
    a3 patch notes!!
    - rayquaza at sky pillar is now level 40, if you're rayquaza-inclined
    - trainers now scale based on the highest levelled pokemon in your party, -1 for
    each mon in their party - or their original level, whichever is highest
    - encounters are now randomised too, on much the same principles as trainers. cool!
    - Battle Frontier sets are now tiered behind a level barrier, with them all being
    unlocked at level 25. This is mainly to prevent middle-stage pokemon that can either
    have ember or flamethrower (ahem, combusken) and roll you early game.
    - BST buff to Wattson, hope he isn't too hard.
    - I tried to increase battle speed a bit by changing some vars i hope it works
    - Evolution items now buyable in Lilycove 2F
    - Milotic and Trade Evos now evolve by level up at 36 as well as their original
    criteria.

I didn't want to include TOO many QoL features and get away from vanilla Emerald.
    Reusable TMs in particular was something I only chose to do to compensate for the
    terrible gen 3 learnsets without changing them myself.
    - Reusable TMs courtesy of Paccy and Hiroshi Sotomura
    - Sold Out! TMs from Lunos
    - Running Indoors by TheXaman
    - DizzyEgg's Nature Colouring
    - NobodySociety's No-Reel Fishing
    + I also made it so you'll always pull a mon

screenie of some changes
    Spoiler:

original post has been updated with the new dl haf fuuun

Back