• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Erebus

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    Foreword

Pokemon Erebus (working title) is a fan game currently in the planning stages, to be developed on an as-of-yet undetermined platform. I hope to start development early next year, but will wait (if necessary) until I've planned out everything that I feel is needed before I bring on additional support.

Plot and Setting

In the southern seas, you will often hear a cautionary tale... Half a century ago, a border dispute between two islands in the Mokuzu chain was on the verge of erupting into war. Just as tensions reached the boiling point, disaster struck; through an unknown agent, a gigantic chasm ripped open on the southern island, spewing poisonous gas across the land in an event that would come to be known as The Unfal. Some said it was an offensive launched by the north, others said it was a southern weapons test gone awry. The official explanation is that it was an unfortunate natural disaster. Whatever the case may be, the destruction of five major cities and deaths of thousands opened the peoples' eyes to the futility of war.

Today, peace has at long last settled across the Mokuzu Islands. Too sick to make the trip himself, your grandfather has asked that you travel to his birthplace, the once-disputed Rettou Territory, to see how the land, people, and Pokemon have healed. After arriving in the town of Port St. Petre, the first step on your journey is the famed Crawford Academy, home of the Rettou Pokemon Trainer Licensing Exam.

Pokemon Erebus

The Rettou Territory, in all of its half-finished glory! Locations are as follows.

Spoiler:

Characters
    (Note: This section is from the protagonist's perspective. I don't know why, I just felt like it.)

Spoiler:

Features

Partners: Throughout the course of the game you will have the opportunity to join forces with a variety of different people and Pokemon, from Pico the talking Chatot and the Defeated Pichu to Judd the meek swordsman and Wade the spunky mechanic. Some Partners, such as Clesta, play an important part in the game's storyline. You can take only two Partners with you at a time, but if you help them accomplish their goals, they might repay you with unique items or services.

Partial Partner List: Pico, Defeated Pichu, Miracle Daiba, Blue-Eyed Butterfree, Unbalanced Marchare, Heartbroken Clesta, Judd Gorski, Jennifer Wade, Gregory Kinkaid, Erin Edge, Laramie Swift

Dungeons: Several parts of the Rettou Territory will be depicted as traditional RPG dungeons, comlete with traps, puzzles, treasures, and bosses.

Partial Dungeon List: Houka Forest, Steelix Tunnel, Routes 813-814, Starlite City, Unfal Chasm

Lume Vitamins: With the Lume Press item, you will be able to pulverize evolution stones into Lumes, vitamins that can make Pokemon of the same type evolve instantly.

New Moves: Erebus will feature several original Pokemon moves, including three new HMs: Glean, Drain, and Detox.

Time Travel: At certain points throughout the game you will be able to use the power of Clesta, the mysterious Heartbreak Pokemon, to travel back in time fifty-two years. Whether you can discover the truth behind The Unfal or not relies entirely on your own ingenuity.

Training Halls: With Clesta's power, you will have the chance to challenge the Rettou League's precursor, the four great Mokuzu Training Halls: four gyms so powerful that their types have been banned from use by modern gym leaders.

Explaining Partners

Spoiler:

PokeDex

Pokemon Erebus
    Pokemon Erebus

(Note: Part of the fun of playing Pokemon games is
    seeing how the Pokemon will evolve, so when I start
    uploading sprites, I'll only be sharing the base forms.)

Spoiler:

Last edited:

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
    Well, it's really cool to see you attempting on game development. It looks like you took a long time organising your ideas and all. Thats your first step and you did it really well =], now good luck on progressing with it.

ScizorZ

ROAR I"M A TACO!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    Wow this game is so cool. I really like the partner idea it's like the Pokemon Ranger games which in the rest really sucked. But this game is bound to be awesome! So your using RSE tiles for this? Or are those just for beta? Your really good at spriting you should try to make custom tiles!

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    I'll be using both RSE and FR/LG tiles, along with custom tiles in the same style. The customs will probably be limited to things not found in the original tilesets, like Anfang's clay buildings, weathered and destroyed old west-looking things for Dodge, and all of the circus stuff. So, don't expect to see custom trees and rocks on every route. I will, for the most part, be mapping in a similar style to what you see in FR/LG. Here's the little forest clearing behind Crawford Academy that is used in the licensing exam. It's populated entirely by Fleegle (how Pichu and Kouren got in there is a mystery), a bird Pokemon that will always try to run from battle, so no matter how many you run into you'll still be in top form for your rival battle.

Spoiler:

I just realized that I forgot to add information on Team Malice and Cydril to the first post, so I'll go do that now...

Years
    Haha Chesu with a game? Oh jesus it has to be good!!
    Finally we'll get to see your awesome spriting ability in a game.
    I'm am so totally pulling for you and the game.
    Good luck man!

Vigilante

Ringleader of Hell
    Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2009
    Wow, this looks great. I usually just tl;dr the posts like that, but yours kept me reading. The partner thing seems really interesting, and the fact that you could try it yourself. Once I see a support banner, I'm definitely putting it in my sig. I know that I wouldn't be much help, but you can always ask for a hand if you need one ;).

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    I'm currently spriting the major recurring characters (Professor Hawthorn, Ringo, Alice, Ikari, and Raimi), as well as the protagonists, Rhys and Liz. Well, I'm actually spriting Ringo and Alice at the moment, and doing conceptual designs on the others. With around one and a half sprites done between the two I'm working on, I'm 21% done with spriting major characters.

Pokemon Erebus

Neither sprite is finished, but it probably looks like Alice is more than half done to you. I don't consider her to be near completion, though... Between her facial expression and pose, she turned out looking more like an evil genius than a fiendish brat. What comes to mind with this kind of character is a spoiled princess in a frilly pink dress, but Ringo's wearing a dress, and Professor Hawthorn will have a skirt... Any suggestions? Oh, and the things under them are the the final four Rettou gym badges: Soar Badge, Seed Badge (considering making it Sprout Badge), Muscle Badge, and Quarry Badge. Their designs are subject to change.

Pokemon Erebus

It's basically just FR/LG's item menu in different colors and with different bags (male bag shown) right now, but I'll probably change the layout eventually. You get the bike before your first Pokemon, and yes, it will propel itself when the motor is switched on.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    I've started work on Route 811, which connects Port St. Petre, Lake Vasquez, and Cruxington... Not that you really know or care what those places are. Anyway, it's about half done, and I just wanted to share the south-western portion, which contains Crawford Academy.

Pokemon Erebus

It may undergo some slight revisions in the future, but for now I'm happy with it.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    After a little experimentation, I think I've decided on the development platform. While RMXP is a popular choice, I'm having a lot of trouble getting used to it. So, I think I'll be developing from the ground up with Game Maker, which I've been using for over six years. It's a lot more effort and number-crunching than I originally planned, but I'm familiar with the GML scripting language, and it's intuitive enough that I would be able to easily create new in-game systems. For example, in about an hour I could fully program a home field advantage system, that would power up water moves while in a water environment, or ground, rock and dark moves while in a cave. This is at the cost of some systems that I would really rather not make, but nobody cares about EVs and IVs in a fan game, right?

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    Screenshots!

Screenshots! Specifically, FR/LG-style battle screenshots. I'll probably change the look of the battle menus and such, but I haven't found anything that I think looks good yet.

Spoiler:

Okay, so most of the sprites aren't quite done... However! All but one of the sprites were made completely, one hundred percent from scratch by me, based on my original designs. The only one that isn't completely original is the Cooltrainer, which some of you may recognize as Kelly from Pokemon Dissension.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    The starters are finished! I probably seem kind of ADD with these updates, but that's just because I work on something else when I run into a wall. I wanted to overhaul the battle display, but none of the ideas I had were that great... So, I decided to finish the sprites in the screenshots. Before that I wanted to complete the base forms of the starters, which I did today. Introducing Minkin, Pupyre, and Oceltot!

Pokemon Erebus

...Actually, I think I'll save that for when I get a Game Showcase thread.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Ringleader of Hell
    Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2009
    My Comments: (unorganized, they are)

Nice updates. I would've posted in here a lot more, but I forgot about it with all my schoolwork.

You should make a supporty thing. I would make one, but my graphic skills are bad.

Of course, I could try I guess.

The sprites look fantastic so that is nice. I love the bag and badges. You also seem dedicated, so that is good.
    The map with crawford academy looks nice, it seems slightly bare though.

:), Well, I'll be waiting for more.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    I don't really have anything more to show at the moment, since I'm currently brushing up on my coding skills. Thanks for the kind words, though!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2024
    oh i know what i could do!! I'm not a bad eventer! some custom events i have made include a post office system, where you can get mail and boxes with letters or items

Back