• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Pokemon following you - Annoying?

~*!*~DOES IT ANNOY YOU~*!*~

• Total voters

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    lets be honest its an awesome feature though the fish pokemon look a little strange and should drown :D

Tudj

HeartGold :P
    Years
  • No, I think it was one of the best things Pokemon ever did, except some of the pokemon that follow you are sometimes a little out of place.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • It's a unique feature in a Pokemon game and one which I love. Pokemon following you give you a sense of advancment in the games and a relation to the anime. Personally, I don't find this annoying and I don't think I know a lot of people who do.

CrashmanX

Mechamon
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Mar 22, 2016
    Personally I like it, but sometimes it does annoy me. In example, when Im trying to get an Item and my pokemon gets in the way, things like that. But I must say I do love having my Heracross follow me.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I actually loved that one of the Pokemon could follow you around. xD That was one of the main things I liked about Yellow, and ever since then I've wanted that feature to be added back.

It's also nice that you can basically pick which one you want to follow you, instead of it always being the starter.

Pokefan2007

BOOTED IN
    Years
  • Oh man I messed up... I choose yes instead of no... I think that pokemon following you is awesome! I'll never feel lonely playing again! Its cool how all of the pokemon follow you! Pokefan2007 :t149:

ghostofherooftime

Phantom of the Internet
    Years
  • it only annoys me when their overworld sprite is ugly!

Wooper following you - Annoying
    Togepi following you - AWWW I LOVE IT
    Dragonair following you - ZOMG EPIC

Oяiginal

Experienced Trainer
    Years
  • Nope! It never will annoy me because in Pokemon Yellow I always loved Pikachu following me, I kept it with me for this reason.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • It's fun having having a Pokemon follow you around, especially when you get a really funny-looking Pokemon follow you around. I saw someone walking around with an Arceus once. It was awesome. I also can't wait to get to Kanto and import a Wailord. <3

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I actually enjoy the following feature even if it isn't made to be optional. I've waited for something like this to arise since Pokémon Yellow and to see it expanded in which all 493 Pokémon plus their different formes and shinies can tag along behind makes it exceptionally well done.

Not to mention, having your favorite Pokémon following behind can more or less have its advantages to it.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2011
    It's a very cool feature. I think I will like it but you should have the choice if you want them to or not.

Years
  • What? It doesn't annoy me. The novelty still hasn't worn off. It helps to keep track of the first pokemon in your party. Plus, the sprites are cool. It's great to have Onix following you. :D

It gives extra personalisation, which doesn't go astray. I haven't had the chance to see if it works in Wifi yet, but that could complicate competitive battling if they can see your lead...

yvette

Heyyyyyyy
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2023
    OMG YES. It was cute after a while, but then my game started freezing up a lot. Now I don't know if it's because of the Pokemon or the game itself (being pretty big, since Kanto, Wi-Fi and whatnot are included) but I don't like it that much. When I first heard HGSS was coming out, I was super psyched for it. I thought it would be just like GSC... eh. Also, when you're battling, you don't get the option to change your Pokemon after you beat your opponent's first Pokemon and that irks me to no end. My poor Sudowoodo is suffering this way... I'm pretty sure it hates me by now. lol

CrashmanX

Mechamon
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Mar 22, 2016
    Also, when you're battling, you don't get the option to change your Pokemon after you beat your opponent's first Pokemon and that irks me to no end. My poor Sudowoodo is suffering this way... I'm pretty sure it hates me by now. lol

you must have accidently changed your setting for battle from Shift to Set.

yvette

Heyyyyyyy
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2023
    Seriously? Damn. I really shouldn't play around with those settings, especially if they're in Japanese. DISREGARD THAT LAST POST LOL

Okay, then I have no complaints. :D

Last edited:
    Years
  • I LOVE it, I got my Quilava following me around. :B

I'm playing a Rom right now, It's in Japanese... but It's still awesome, I get to have my oh so perdy Pokemon Follow me. :B
    (don't like how they are always in walking animation though, even when standing still. :\ )

~Unknown

MizuJosh

Graceful Water Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2010
    I guess it's okay. Not all of the time, for item-collecting's sake. But Kingdra isn't a hastle in this regard, so it's all good. :)

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • (don't like how they are always in walking animation though, even when standing still. :\ )

This is the only part of the Following Feature that has bothered me just a bit. The way the Pokémon aside of you stays in motion even when you [the player] are stationed in one tile does get a little bothersome at times. Though, in a way it shows a more realistic aspect of a Pokémon noting how they won't always stay still. Other than this however, I really do like the feature and would hope to see it continue into future gams.

Though, in future Pokémon RPG's I wouldn't mind it being turned into an optional feature. At least it would be plus for those who do not enjoy it as much as others.

Back