• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Genders?

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
Years
  • Really weird, why do some pokemon have genders and some don't(by some I mean legendaries) the only legends that have genders are:

Cresselia(always female)
    Heatran(varies)
    Latias(always female)
    Latios(always male)

Not many, right? I know. Do you think more legendaries should have genders?

Last edited:

Lycoris

Teh Sexeh Lexieh
    Years
  • Well consider this. In one episode of Pokemon, there was a FEMALE Lugia with a baby, and in 2000 the Lugia was male...

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • How in god's name are Lucario and Froslass legendary Pokemon? But yes, in anime the legendary Pokemon do have genders, but in the games the majority of the legendary Pokemon are labeled as genderless because of discrimination reasons seeing how the legendaries are said to be "only one". Don't forget Latias and Latios have genders too. :x

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
  • How in god's name are Lucario and Froslass legendary Pokemon? But yes, in anime the legendary Pokemon do have genders, but in the games the majority of the legendary Pokemon are labeled as genderless because of discrimination reasons seeing how the legendaries are said to be "only one". Don't forget Latias and Latios have genders too. :x

I said if you count Lucario a legendary I have no clue about froslass. My bro said to do that or he'd make my boyfriend break up with me! I'll edit froslass and Lucario out, k?

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    I think there should be genders because it just doesn't make sense without it, but again these are POkemon.

FalseDestiny

Troll
    Years
  • I don't see much point in Nintendo stating a Gender for them. The Multi-Legendaries (Legendaries where there is more than just one) would likely have genders depending on each one. The Sole-Legendaries (Only one of each) would however need a Gender set for them. For the few Sole-Legendaries though, said Gender is rather obvious (save, Giratina.) Lucario can be either gender btw.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    Well if pokemon did not had genders then the world would be really weird... no more baby pokemon! XD lol :]

Years
  • It could be that those legendary pokemon have genders, but people in the pokemon world don't know about them, similar to setting your gender to Undisclosed/leaving the gender box blank on a forum such as this one.

Interestingly, in the second Mysterious Dungeon games, Celebi is referred to as being female, Uxie and Azelf are supposedly male, while Mesprit is female. Dialga is also called male; I don't know if Palkia is or not.

BountyHunter15

Helpful Foe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2008
    Well i can shed a little light on this.
    With the lati, there were orginally more than two of them. (watch pokemon heroes)
    In the movie the talk about lati@s' parent and how he became soul dew. Also, the lati should be able to breed. Why not? It would be so cool.

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Because all the legendaries are mystical, and are a mystery to everyone. No one has found out all the information, (a.k.a gender) about them.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • Because those ones mostly make sense (except Heatran really).

Honestly more need genders, such as Manaphy, who is the PRINCE of the sea. Make Manaphy Male only, I say.

And it's not just genderless pokemon. I'm not sure why Mr. Mime/Mime Jr. can be female. Or why Lopunny can be Male.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    Because all the legendaries are mystical, and are a mystery to everyone. No one has found out all the information, (a.k.a gender) about them.

Not really true, since after you catch a legendary, you kind of got all the information because of the Pokedex, why not the gender also?

Years
  • I think most legandaries should have genders.

I think Mew should be female, Celebi should be female, Mespirt should be female, Azelf should be male, Uxie should be male, Articuno should be female, Moltres should be male, Zapdos should be male, Lugia should vary, Ho-Oh should vary, and well, the Regi trio? They are inanimate objects, so no.

Back