• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Pokemon Green

CollosalPokemon

What's next?
    Years
    Yes, green is a real game, it was just never released in the USA. It was officially the first pokemon game in history to hit Japan's market in February of 1995! Discussion of this game can take place here, as I have seen no other threads in this section about it! To all of you who post G/C/S/R/B/Y, you are all missing Green! Anyone who has pokemon green, or wants to know about it, discuss it here! Its photo's are also included here:

Pallet Town:
    Pokemon Green

The Trainer's First Battle with your rival!:
    Pokemon Green

I know they are low end graphics, but it plays just like R/B/Y, so anyone who likes R/B/Y should take a look at green!

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    It looks pretty much the same as R/B/Y, but less advanced.
    But, it does show how much Pokemon has improved over the years.

The storyline wouldn't be much different either, would it?

CollosalPokemon

What's next?
    Years
    It looks pretty much the same as R/B/Y, but less advanced.
    But, it does show how much Pokemon has improved over the years.

The storyline wouldn't be much different either, would it?

Nope, not much different, btw I didn't see a post about it, and it seemed everyone forgot about it...its kinda cool seeing how much pokemon has advanced, right?

Charliezard

A wild shroomish appeared!
    Years
    Weren't green and red released together with blue coming later with improved sprites and what not?

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    Yeah, I played it on a rom. It's pretty good, although I can't understand a word they're saying.

Years
    If I'm not mistaken, Green and Red came out in Japan, as practically the same, then Blue came out, which was the American Red and Blue. Then Yellow came out, and after that everything was the same with Japan. Right?
    Also, I looked at the Pokemon Green sprites online, they look wierd...
    Mew has like a funky head bump thing. xD

Charliezard

A wild shroomish appeared!
    Years
    If I'm not mistaken, Green and Red came out in Japan, as practically the same, then Blue came out, which was the American Red and Blue. Then Yellow came out, and after that everything was the same with Japan. Right?
    Also, I looked at the Pokemon Green sprites online, they look wierd...
    Mew has like a funky head bump thing. xD

Yeah, Blue was the same game with bug/sprite fixes.

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    Green's sprites look more real life inspired than the anime.
    For example, the Squirtle sprite from Green Version looks more lifelike than one from Diamond version.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    I own Pokemon Green and it's pretty hard to play without knowing Japanese.(or playing r/b so much that you know what's going on)

Fluffy Clouds

Is not really active.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 20, 2017
    What I heard about why Green wasn't released in the US was because of the total amount of glitches in it. I can't remember how many. On YouTube, you can find a ton of videos on glitches in that game.

Note that I heard this reason from somebosy else, and it might be an opinion. I don't know, though.

Years
    Just to clear alot of newb questions, Pokemon Green was never released outside of Japan, instead they released Pokemon Blue. Similarly, Japan never got their hands on Blue version. Both regions had Red version however.

Japanese games had different sprites for the pokemon. But apart from that, there is no difference between the two.

ハリマ☆ハリオ

播磨拳児
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2009
    Just to clear alot of newb questions, Pokemon Green was never released outside of Japan, instead they released Pokemon Blue. Similarly, Japan never got their hands on Blue version. Both regions had Red version however.

Japanese games had different sprites for the pokemon. But apart from that, there is no difference between the two.
    No, that's not right... In Japan, Red and Green were released first. Blue was released after, and then Yellow was released after that. Blue enhanced the graphics of the original Red and Green in a way. And, when the games were released in America, they were based off Blue and rebranded as Red and Blue.

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
    Years
    When fire red and leaf green versions came out I knew there has to be green somewhen.

Why wasn't the game released in English? I don't get it.

I've read somewhere that USA who was going to translate the original RG versions found english-fying pokemon red too tedious and could not bear to continue to green, so they decided to make it red/blue instead of red/green.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    I've read somewhere that USA who was going to translate the original RG versions found english-fying pokemon red too tedious and could not bear to continue to green, so they decided to make it red/blue instead of red/green.
    What does fying mean?

Any ways, from what I can tell is. They took the in-game trades, game corner Pokemon prizes and exclusive Pokemon from GR and put it in B.

Back