• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Habitat Argument

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2010
    Ok so recently me and a friend got into an argument about Pokemon's habitats in-game.. it started when I was playing a Hacked ROM game, and encountered a Vulpix in a Cave. I did not think of it as that out of the usual, but my friend vehemently disagreed and thought it was pretty ridiculous to encounter a Vulpix in a cave environment.

Vulpix is categorized in the Pokedex in the "Grassland" region. Bulbapedia and because of this my friend told me because Vulpix's natural environment is in Grasslands/Plains it should not be encountered in Caves because that is not its natural habitat.

and while I agreed with them that a Vulpix's natural habitat is in Grassy plain type areas... I did not see a problem with encountering them in Caves because I don't see it that far fetched, or out of the realm of possibility to find them in Caves. Obviously they are not "Cave dwelling" Pokemon like Geodude, and Zubat, but they have the resources to navigate caves in my opinion.

Just wanted to get some different thoughts and opinions on this matter.

Last edited:

8U

I'm random. What about you?
    Years
  • Vulpix should be encountered in mostly grasslands, but, if I catch it, I don't care. :)

Years
  • Well if it's a hacked game any Pokémon can appear anywhere. You could have Mantine appear in a volcano and it'd be legit. As for having a Vulpix appear in a cave, it's possible that a Vulpix could venture into a cave or something. Sure, they aren't usually found there but it's not impossible. Finding a Slugma outside Snowpoint City would be weird, but.

Wolffang292

Advanced Trainer
    Years
  • Well, I can see a Vulpix appearing in a cave, but technically, it belongs in a grassland environment.

I think that the Pokemon Company had to narrow it down to a certain number of environments, so they can't combine them.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • :s When I think Vulpix, I think a rugged mountain terrain anyway. Probably due to Pokémon Snap. I think living up on a mountain (and thus in the caves as well) is a lot more fitting for Vulpix than just in a forest or grassland area. It wouldn't even blend into the surroundings at all if it lived in meadows. :(

Jason Wolf

The Chronicler
    Years
  • well yeah over all nintendo can't put all the enviroments in the world into a game, but i have been working on a design of pokemon game that would have all four curent regions the region from the upcoming 5th gen and a few more. because of that i want it to be a wii game that would be even more expansive than LOG twilight princess(r).

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Vulpix could be caught high atop Mt. Pyre in RSE, so I can imagine it being in a cave, but on the other hand, it was found in grasslands in every other game it's been in. XD

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • Vulpix could be caught high atop Mt. Pyre in RSE, so I can imagine it being in a cave, but on the other hand, it was found in grasslands in every other game it's been in. XD

That was my initial thought. On the other hand, There's not much connecting Mt Pyre with cave-like areas. It's on the outside of the mountain, the inside that we see is all built up, and there aren't any other cave-dwellers in the area. Though, I do associate Vulpix with Mt Pyre, because the only other place I can remember it being catchable is near Ekruteak, but I see now how common it actually is (just never in any of the games I buy).

And yeah, you should never take hacks as canon, just saying. The hacker can put Pokemon anywhere he sees fit, so I'm guessing the hacker in question thinks like you. Maybe the real Pokemon developers don't. All matters of opinion. The routes near Dark Cave have weird Pokemon in my opinion, even if they are close to a cave.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • He said in a Rom hacked...there for the pokemon was put in that cave by the creator...it could be a mistake or not.

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2010
    Thanks for the opinions guys. Basically I think it comes down to there isn't a large enough sample size to truly judge a Pokemon's pure habitat based "solely" on the games... simply because Vulpix is a fairly rare Pokemon throughout the generations compared to other Pokemon and we don't really have a good feel as to where Nintendo decides to make them appear within their games; Seeing as Vulpix only appears in a handful of places through the span of 4 gens.

Regardless I think while playing a Hack you have to be a little more open minded, and give the creator a little more leighway simply because that is that persons rendition of a game... It is very likely that in different regions of the world Pokemon can appear in different zones then they are accustomed to being in.

Years
  • It's a fox-type pokemon...so naturally it'd be found wherever a fox can be found, and foxes have been known to use caves as dens.....so I don't see the problem.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Well its a hacked game.

Pokemon may be able to live in other places but then they would have to be rare in that area :3

Back