• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Is For Little Kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2010
    I have heard people say pokemon is for little kids, and strongly disagree.My friends stopped liking pokemon in 5th grade.I am in 7th and still like it!They say it is childish......but is capturing animals and (kinda) forcing them to fight so childish?Dont think so.....What do you think?

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    I've liked pokemon since 1997. Back then, we just used missingno glitch to get to our team to level 100. Now that I'm grown up, I can appreciate the complexities of the game and the strategy required. Granted, the franchise is targeted towards kids, but adults can appreciate the strategy and story lines.
    But these days, it seems any 9 year old with a DS and internet access can put a bidoof on the GTS for an arceus and expect to get it.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    When I was in the 5th Grade everyone in my class was into Pokemon. Everyone was playing Ruby and Sapphire, it was all we talked about all day.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2010
    I wish I was born when pokemon was REALLY cool.5th graders play Modern Warfare 2 now, and 7th graders as well.......I cannot talk about pokemon at school now.It just sucks!!!LOL....I am 12, they say pokemon is for 5 and 6 year olds.... :(

Last edited:

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    Don't worry about it man, that is why we are all here right? I am 18 years old and I still love pokemon. Most people here see a deeper meaning to pokemon, I know I do and the games are still my favorite. If it interests you, don't give it up because a couple of people think it's lame. I bet some of them just say that because everyone else does. ;)

Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2010
    HAHAHAHAH! "Capturing animals and forcing them to fight, is that childish...I don't think so." Just you saying that is very childish. But I have to disagree and say that Pokemon has a lot of different levels to it. There are a lot of different ways to play Pokemon, and I think that in that sense, Pokemon is a great game. As a younger gamer, you can play the game very simplistically and straightforward. But if you still play as you get older, you can get into the strategy and true depth of the game.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    Animal fighting is what this country is built on! (not really but it makes a good argument i guess :\)

Its whatever, I'm 18 and I play it. Its a good time-waster/procrastination tool/entertainer, and since I grew up with it, I obviously have to play all the games.

But these days, it seems any 9 year old with a DS and internet access can put a bidoof on the GTS for an arceus and expect to get it.

Lol, sad but true. Q_Q

Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2010
    Well, I'm not really a fan of the new games, I just love the classics. If you keep up with the anime and card game, and everything else related, it is a little childish, but if it is just the games I would say not.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2010
    Well technically pokemon is aimed a younger kids kinda like how mario and sonic are but i play it anyway =)

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    The vice president of EEDAR (Electronic Entertainment Design and Research) said "The idea that Mario games are simply just for kids is foolish, and Nintendo knows that. The dominant demographic for New Super Mario Bros. Wii are males and females over 24 years old."

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    As the oldest person to post in the thread so far, I say no. It's marketed to the preadolescent market, but there are several complex layers to the game that veteran gamers in the teens and twenties can appreciate.

It's kinda like how the mainstream crowd will only look at a video game for its face value while hardcore gamers will look beyond that and into the subtleties of the gameplay, story, presentation, etc and find something more.

Chris Brown

Forever
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    It's targeted at younger audiences, so it would only be common for them to come to that conclusion.
    However, I don't see a EC ESRB rating on it, so I can assume that it is for everyone.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    nope nope nope nope. My dad had just gotten into pokemon (hes playing yellow right now xDD) Pokemon is meant for people of all ages, and I dont think that I will ever outgrow it.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    nope nope nope nope. My dad had just gotten into pokemon (hes playing yellow right now xDD) Pokemon is meant for people of all ages, and I dont think that I will ever outgrow it.

This reminds me...my dad was also big into Pokemon for awhile when I was a kid. not so much anymore, but if I make a refernce to the older games or older seasons of the anime, he'll most likely get it. XD

Years
    It really depends on the type of gamer you are. Plus there is no law where you reach a certain age, you have to give up Pokemon and play MW2 right. I'm glad I can talk about Pokemon to kids in my Electronics Shop because some love pokemon. It seems that if you enjoy a sonic or a nintendo game more the Modern Warfare 2, you will be made fun of for it.

Last edited:

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
    I've been a fan of Pokemon since I was 7 or 8 years old. I'm 17 and I still like it and I always will. I hate it when people say that adults shouldn't like things that appeal to children. I personally think there's something in the Pokemon franchise for everyone. Children enjoy playing the games and watching the anime, while teens and adults like the TCG and metagames. Even though I'm 17, I enjoy everything about Pokemon.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    There's already a thread with the same discussion. Get some more toilet paper!

Locked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back