• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon just for Kids?

fredlocks

150 POSTS!!!!!!!!!
    Years
    I have to make a game in my ICE B (Game Maker) class and everybody in there is older than me (because I am like the youngest in my grade xD) and they are all like "Cool!" and stuff, and as YunaDances says early on in this thread, both of my parents and even grandparents have played and enjoyed Pokemon.

These pages just show how far the age does range from xD
    The very young: https://pkmncommunity.com/memberlist.php?&order=ASC&sort=age&pp=30
    and the very old xD:https://pkmncommunity.com/memberlist.php?do=getall&pp=30&order=asc&sort=age&page=232

Last edited:
    Years
    I guess the game was initially created for kids but that doesn't mean that only kids can play it!
    If you like something you shouldn't give up your hobby just because other people say it's for kids. There where I live is almost no one who likes Pokémon and every time people see that I like it they laugh at me or make stupid comments. But I don't care about them. I mean it's my own decision what I like and not other's.
    Besides kids can't really understand EV training and these things, cause it's too complicated, I think, so it can't be only for kids!

Years
    I don't buy that. I didn't ever really understand how Pokemon is only for kids. Because Pikachu is cute? Because the main character is 10? Beats me, I really don't see how that has anything to do with it. In my opinion, there isn't anything that you should grow out of at a certain age. If you do, that's cool, but if not then who's to say that you have to? Pokemon's awesome no matter how old you are, and whether or not most people see it that way really doesn't matter.

Kylo

Squirrel Maniac
    Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2014
    I think the reason people think it's for kids is the dialog most of the characters use. Seriously, who comes up with those lines? The trainers say the most ridiculous things when they challenge you, and even worse after the battle's done! Why can't the just say something simple like, "Hey, you! Fight me!" Who complains about food while they're fighting?

The show used to be cool back when it was actually about catching Pokemon. But now it's all about happy joy friendship and mushy crap. And they cut out Misty for those friggin' annoying May and Dawn! I hate, hate, HATE them! The title says "Pokemon: Gotta Catch em All!" not "Pokemon: Feel the Love!"

But then again, 4kids is basically the Good Times (entertainment company) of the anime world, so you can't say nobody saw this insult coming.

Sakura-Katana

Team Rocket Executive
    Years
    The Pokemon games have enough depth to them to be enjoyable for kids and adults. But the spin-off games and the TV show will only appeal to adults if they grew up with them. ;)

ultradarkrai

treeco tre
    Years
    Well, I used to think Pokemon just being for kids was a load of crap, but I'm 12 and I'm getting bored of it. I think it's too simplistic and the monsters are for kids. I mean, take a look at the monsters. Dragonite? Childish. Mr Mime? Childish. All of them seem for kids, and I'm starting to think it's an educational kids game! It may be trying to teach kids about animals, and how different forces of nature, like grass, water and fire react with each other. It may seem cruel, but I'm starting to think the only types of adults who play it live in their parents' basement and don't have a girlfriend.

...WHAT DID I JUST TYPE?!?!

EDIT:
    My mother loves Pokemon and she is 52!
    ...Maybe she only likes it because you like it...
    If you like Pokemon, you will be beat up at my school
    At my school, there's lots of sexual harrasment towards me (by the boys, most disturbingly). If I get hurt, it's because they pinched my bottom or slapped me across the cheeks or... tried to shag me..., but everyone says to me Pokemon is gay.

PS. I don't like this being done to me, so don't think I'm gay. I'm homophobic.

Last edited:

Mr.Roserade

Used to be skeetacular
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2008
    Dude, Pokemon is for everyone. No matter what ethnicity, background, social class, ect. I hate how some people think you have no life if you play Pokemon, dude I saw the first episode of pokemon to come out. Ive been playing and watching pokemon since I was in second grade(im a junior now) and still get the same thrill...but it seems to me that all some people do is sit around and let this game take over there life...all these threads showing off how many stupid event pokemon you have....Sorry off topic, but yeah pokemon is for everyone..

P.S Next dude that says something stupid to you about playing pokemon, just drop em =]

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2008
    Okay, if you were to stand back at take a look at the situation as a whole, you'd more than likely come up with two solutions. The concept of Pokemon - not the video games, but the TV show, merch, toy figures ect. - is geared towards young children. Take the TV show, you don't need reading skills and the storylines aren't complicated at all. The language used in the show is basic, so kids can understand it. Merchandise, like toy figures, teddy bears and the sort are made so the kids can enjoy Pokemon when not watching TV.

Now, the other side of the argument, is the the video games. If you were to stand back and forget everything you knew about Pokemon, including TV, mang, everything and then pick up the video game as your first Pokemon experience, I'm sure you wouldn't say the games is for children. Anyone, in reality from 14+ would be able to 'seriously' play Pokemon, while the younger kids might fiddle around on it. I mean, c'mon, gambling? Good role-modelling for kids? Even the Pokemon are sophisticated what with all their stats and the Evolution process. When you think about it, the games can't be fully enjoyed untill the player reaches the stage where he/she has a full understanding of the game. That time comes at the age of around 14 or so.

To drive the point home, the TV show gives Pokemon a 'childish' feeling. If Pokemon was nothing but the video game, I can honestly say that nobody under the age of 11 would be playing the games.

Pokemon Games = All Ages.

Thank you.
    well what age were you when you picked up your first pokemon game, I was somewhere aroun 7 or 8. I think I got a great expiernce and so did my friends, snot nose kids getting super powerd animals to beat up each other, sounds like a blast to me. ill admit the TV show is geard towards a younger audience, no denying that, but the games are open to all ages, you dont have to be any age to get maximum enjoyment out of pokemon. It realy is not that hard ot level up and evolve to beat up stronger and stronger pokemon untill your the best! The truth is pokemon to some etent is slightly immature, but its a game and its fun full imagination and nostalgia! At the current time, this makes a nice bridge for all ages, and in truth if it keeps up, my kids are gonna think im some kind of creep.

Back