• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon just for Kids?

Years
    i do agree, im sure it is pointed towards the younglings but when you think about it isnt all for kids

sure there are cute pokemon but there are also dark evil scary ones aswell
    and there is also tons of romance and other themes that only older people would completly understand
    people associate pokemon with children because of t he cuteness factor and the whole friendship unlining of the show. whats wrong with promoting kindness and friendship?
    personally i enjoy both the show and the games. that includes the movies, and im 18
    but yeah anyway thats my 2 zenny :P

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    I'll be waiting on Netbattle for anybody who thnks pokemon is just for kids >:0

Seriously, people need to realize that pokemon can give a challenge to about anybody.

I do agree the TV show is for kids, my little sister won't even watch that >.> It actually used to be good but has declined a lot...

Pokemon is just a game though, like any other. I think negative hype has kind of repelled some people from pokemon, especially us teens ;)

In general I can actually see where people are coming from (like, "pika, pika, pikachu!") but if you explore all aspects of pokemon and are honest with yourself, you will find pokemon isn't kid-ish at all.

ShadowofTime01

Pokemon Professor
    Years
    I think the game was initially for kids, as is the anime. But it's not meant to be something solely for children. We obviously get a lot of out of the game and the show and such to be here discussing it! It's one of my all time favorite videogames and long after I become a middle-aged gamer who only likes stuff he's familiar with because everything else has turned to crap, I'll still be loving this game. Because they've given us a quality game that requires us to come together and rely on others to catch them all or to bring out the full potential of our pokemon. I will play pokemon with my children if it's still around, and i cannot wait for its future installments.

Crimson Arcanine

The majestic and mythical
    Years
    I have a aunt who i'm planning to face in a Pokemon battle later this month. Shes like nearly 40 and is mother of 5, her eldest son whos two years younger than myself also plays. And even my own mother once played too

So it can appeal to all ages. I believe the reason for this is that its easy to learn but hard to master. Although marketted in general for younger individuals its can be fun for all ages.

Although its a little less focused on young children than it once was.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    But yes. Pokémon is a concept made for kids. But little kids can never appreciate the games like older people.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    I'm 14 and i will be 15 this year, and i don't think pokemon is for kids. Anime or game it is for people who like it. The game especially could be played by teen or even older. Lots of people play Pokemon and they are not nerds, not all of them at least, lol. People who says it is for little kids probably never tried it or don't like it, that does not mean it is for little kids.

starmii3

Pokemon Ranger
    Years
    OK! Pokemon is not ONLY for kids. It is a hobby in which, people of all ages can and do enjoy. I am 15, and i am under peer presure of never speaking, or playing or doing anything related to pokemon, in threat of beinmg bullied that its "Just for kids". People all over the world enjoy it. Heck, i know a few teenagers my age who still enjoy it. Back in the past pokemon was a craze, but something happened, that it was forgotten. The few survivors who grew up still secretly loving and playing the games, or whatever, are now in danger of forgeting it because of presure from other people. I have more to say, but this is enough to get people thinking.

`Ryan

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
    Alot of people at my school play pokemon. Heck, even people in the military play pokemon and know what EVs are so no, its definately not for kids

menace64

Lifelong Trainer
    Years
    Pokemon can be ranked with the best of RPGs since, like any good RPG, it offers a great array of attributes to a great array of people. In Pokemon, there are a nearly limitless number of strategies and courses to take on the way to victory.

For myself, I have never participated in a beauty contest. I have never battled using the WiFi connection. I don't trade. I am almost 20 years old, and I have both OCD and ADD. I find great pleasure in tinkering with the very-minor aspects of just about anything. I love organizing. My storage computer for my Pokemon is full of all 493 species, each put in the correct numerical place. I like working at precisely tuning each Pokemon that interests me; not so I can hop on WiFi and slug it out, but because it calms my chaotic mind. It focuses me. It keeps me centered on a task long enough to appreciate a result. Most of what I do in real life never comes to fruition because I cannot stay focused long enough to see it through. Pokemon provides that sensation of a job well done.

The patience-building activity of tediously strengthening a Pokemon rolls over into my life-at-large and helps see me through my day. Without some simple, on-hand ability to catalogue and critique, I'd probably be a lot more stressed out than I already am.

So I think the question "is Pokemon just for kids?" is actually raising an entirely different question: "Why is there such a strong appeal in Pokemon for people of all ages?" The answer is that there is no single answer... everyone is different, and each person requires something totally different.

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2008
    Im 14 and Ive started since EP 1 of the show, I still battle, watch the tv sho win my under wear with captin crunch, and most of all have fun, I just like games!

World King

Twilight Silver Beast
    Years
    I myself, have played Pokémon for 8 years (since '99, with my Yellow version) and since then, I just love Pokémon every year more, and now, I'm more into it than ever, in all aspects. Even collecting Pokémon stuff, like TC's action figures, posters, games...

So who plays Pokémon plays one of Nintendo's Best Franchises, and one that we all in here enjoy, even though we aren't kids... Am I wrong?

NytewolfAU2k7

Game Modder & Creator
    Years
    I'm 23, I still enjoy Pokemon, though maybe not as much as I used to. If I have nothing to do, I just fire up the old games and play through them again... Just like old times.

Spiron

High life.
    Years
    Okay, if you were to stand back at take a look at the situation as a whole, you'd more than likely come up with two solutions. The concept of Pokemon - not the video games, but the TV show, merch, toy figures ect. - is geared towards young children. Take the TV show, you don't need reading skills and the storylines aren't complicated at all. The language used in the show is basic, so kids can understand it. Merchandise, like toy figures, teddy bears and the sort are made so the kids can enjoy Pokemon when not watching TV.

Now, the other side of the argument, is the the video games. If you were to stand back and forget everything you knew about Pokemon, including TV, mang, everything and then pick up the video game as your first Pokemon experience, I'm sure you wouldn't say the games is for children. Anyone, in reality from 14+ would be able to 'seriously' play Pokemon, while the younger kids might fiddle around on it. I mean, c'mon, gambling? Good role-modelling for kids? Even the Pokemon are sophisticated what with all their stats and the Evolution process. When you think about it, the games can't be fully enjoyed untill the player reaches the stage where he/she has a full understanding of the game. That time comes at the age of around 14 or so.

To drive the point home, the TV show gives Pokemon a 'childish' feeling. If Pokemon was nothing but the video game, I can honestly say that nobody under the age of 11 would be playing the games.

Pokemon Games = All Ages.

Thank you.

Back