• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: ~~Pokemon Lapis Lazuli~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

aperso

Please feel free to VM random fruit types.
Years
  • I personally always enjoy the hacks that differ from the typical GO FORTH, GET THING FROM PROFESSOR, GET BADGES IN NEW SHINY MAPS!

so do I like hacks that differ from that so that'll mean you like lime green then.

Snakebyte

About time, I'd say...
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Honestly, if I wanted your opinion, I'd have asked for it.

Exodus: If I may make a request? I really like what you've done with the gym interiors, at least the first one as that's all I've seen, but I think replacing the gym building with something else, even just the basic cave stuff like you did for the well, would add a lot to the effect. Entering a gym building and being in a multi-leveled cave is just a bit off-putting. I'd offer to help, but I don't have a clue how to do that sort of thing. :P

Also, I'm probably stopping for a bit here. I have no other glitches to report, but a hell of a lot of general feedback and praise. I'm not sure if I'm entirely sold on all the white being yellow yet, but it does give it a distinctive look. All the areas are very unique, it doesn't resemble Hoenn in the slightest and is interesting in its own right. The spirits, the Guardians, the city in a sandstorm, the healers, etc etc etc awesome. Very good placement of out-of-the-way items and areas, I went and caught a Seedot just because I found the Leaf Stone in Moss cavern for example. I kind of thought there'd be a bit more to the Old Ruins (Maybe put Cut in there?), but that's it. I also noticed all the hidden areas in the early parts (strength rocks, mach bike sand slopes, etc), and I'm guessing the way to get to that oasis is from surfing in the well.

It looks like you've got a really good grasp of what you're trying to do and only inexperience/lack of knowledge is getting in the way. This is the most promising new thing I've seen in here since Snakewood, and I would totally offer to help if I could be of help in any way other than testing this thing. I'll definitely be keeping the patch and watching the thread for future releases.

As of now, I just beat the first two Guardians, and have cleared out Route 11 and the Old Ruins, ready to head down the route requiring Cut. I've been doing adequately so far with a Trapinch and Gastly (now Haunter), especially after selling all my belongings for Earthquake and Psychic TMs. :P

Last edited:

Exodus

Psycho with a Doughnut
    Years
  • Sarcastic Prince - Thank you. I think Snakebite is being very helpful, and the help is great. I can work with his advice with or without screenshots, but those are always cool too. Thanks for stopping by!

Snakebite - Thanks again so much. The invisible block with ! is actually an invisible pokemon for later. ;) I was planning to change the gym outside, but never got around to it. :(

I also need to go through with YAPE and change evolution methods, otherwise that Haunter will never evolve hahah. When I first used YAPE, it screwed everything up and stopped every pokemon from evolving. I'm kinda scarred from that lol. I'll do my best to change things for the better! I'm very glad you like it so far, and I only hope other people give it a chance too, ehehehehe.

Edit: Yeah! I really do know what I want it to be, but it's so frustrating because my own lack of experience and expertise limits me. I really hate it. I just hope I manage to make something at least halfway decent! Thank you again, all of your comments are so encouraging and fun to read!

Double Edit: Aahh! I see what you mean about the TM Psywave. I forgot to have Astra give it, too. I'll get on it STAT.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2012
    When you defeat the dragon gym leader/person he says he gives you dragonbreath, when you actually get shockwave.

Exodus

Psycho with a Doughnut
    Years
  • Aperso - I think I will make a walkthrough, if only to point out all the hidden places you can go, etc. Also, thanks for your PM. At the moment I don't need anyone to sprite, but I'll let you know when I will!

Update - Went through in YAPE and edited all pokemon. Will include list of changes in next alpha release. Also edited front page with more screenshots/info.

aperso

Years
  • ok you know where to find me if you need me walkthroughs are kind of hard if you use a emulator though so good luck on making it

Last edited:

Exodus

Psycho with a Doughnut
    Years
  • Thanks aperso!

Status on the hack; I'm making a snowy route north of Mystic City and it leads to Exile City, home of the third two guardians. I just recently switched from xpse to pksv, so it's a whole new ballgame. Ideally I'll have the alpha 0.2 out before next week wednesday!

Thanks again guys!

aperso

Years
  • yay not long to go before the next part. this is the first ruby hack i have ever followed

Ettadara

Fanfiction Writer
    Years
  • I have a problem - I applied the patch to a clean Ruby GBA file, created a file, and started to play, but once I got control of the character, upon exiting the 'van' (not sure if it's supposed to still be there, but...) I found myself placed atop what appears to be a line of fencing, stuck and unable to move.

EDIT: I read some earlier posts, seems others are having problems playing as the guy protagonist, as well, so I suppose you are already aware of this (possibly script) problem?

Exodus

Psycho with a Doughnut
    Years
  • I have a problem - I applied the patch to a clean Ruby GBA file, created a file, and started to play, but once I got control of the character, upon exiting the 'van' (not sure if it's supposed to still be there, but...) I found myself placed atop what appears to be a line of fencing, stuck and unable to move.

EDIT: I read some earlier posts, seems others are having problems playing as the guy protagonist, as well, so I suppose you are already aware of this (possibly script) problem?

I definetly am, and I fixed it in the release that's coming this week. Until then, please do play as the female. :D Hope you enjoy!

Exodus

Psycho with a Doughnut
    Years
  • Hey guys! Just a quick update here.

I've fixed all of the major glitches I found and that people pointed out, but there are still a few left that I really can't fix with my subpar skills :(. But all that's left to do now is redo the boy sprite so ya'll can play as him, and to code the events in Exile City. I'll release Alpha 0.2 when that's done, hopefully sometime in the next few days.

Thanks for your patience!

Meri-tje

Cute Pokémon FTW!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2011
    Someone hurry and make a banner for this!
    Best hack I've seen lately and I love it already
    Finally someone with the guts to step away from those normal starters
    (and actually putting some nice pokémon instead)

I'm playing right now and I'm really happy with the difficulty levels

Snakebyte

About time, I'd say...
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Back and playing this again. I'll edit this post with things I find as I go... like the Mantine that just used Arm Thrust against me. xD

EDIT: OH GOD SOMEONE IS SPEAKING AT ME IN FOREIGN

EDIT: The fishing sprite is still May.

EDIT: Is there a reason one of the seers in the circle just says 'ing.'?

EDIT: Two tile errors (I think) in the Lush Maze. The last trainer you fight on the right section (which I am assuming is the correct path right now)... From standing beneath her, take two steps to the right and head down. You can pass through that section of wall. You can also pass through the rock to the right visible in that area.

EDIT: The whole area leading up to Haven City was really long, and I had to backtrack many, many many times... Might I suggest a healer in the Seer's Circle building or something?

EDIT: asdfjkfsjkasfaf it is TYROGUE. ROUGE IS A MAKEUP, ROGUE IS A SNEAKY GUY, GET IT RIGHT ._.

EDIT: There is no actual stone where the girl says I can have the stone, and the mats you used come with exit arrows.

EDIT: Lady Holly in the earth gym place can turn and block your progress.

EDIT: ...So Vensaurs know Overheat now?

EDIT: Loooooooooooooooooots of wonky stuff on Broken Bridge. I entered a house and it was all black and my game froze. My last save was pretty far back... Is there much after that? Also, is there any way to get that pass to get into the manor? Also, what's in the egg? Still a Wynaut?

EDIT: Rival's Itemfork speech is messed up.

FINAL EDIT: I got to Silk Town and am assuming the beta ends there. I did not bother teaching anyone Rock Smash as the only rocks I saw were in the middle of craters way back, and I was too lazy to catch a water pokemon. I see the effect you were going for with Broken Bridge, but I'm not sure the maps used really accomplished that, sorry. =/

My critique pretty much is the same as before. I like the story and all your ideas and how different it is, but it's currently falling a bit flat in the execution. But this is an alpha. And that's a LOT more content than I was expecting from something titled 'Alpha 0.1'. :p

Questions I am left with:
    - Can the manor be accessed in this alpha?
    - What was in the egg?
    - Were there any areas I missed out on through Surf or Rock Smash?
    - Are you planning to do more with the Hoenn/Shuyu plot? That was really interesting, though... sudden. Some more scripting there couldn't hurt, I just sort of stumbled into that one building *coughweatherinstitutecough* and was fighting Hoenn guys. That, plus a few other things, could stand to be worked into the story a bit more. This is not a criticism so much as a suggestion, you know? I understand that it's a work in progress, and an early one at that. And on that basis, I enjoyed it greatly, and just hope it continues to improve.

My final team was a level 50 Flygon (Yes, level 50 in an alpha!) with Faint Attack, Crunch, Earthquake, and Dragonbreath, as well as a level 41 Haunter with Hypnosis, Psychic, Shadow Punch, and Confuse Ray. I also had a Sandshrew cut slave, and the Tyrogue and egg the story gave me because I was too lazy to PC them or catch more... as I was expecting something much shorter from an alpha, and did a lot of rushing through.

Also, can't remember if I commented on this before, but the random items? Coal and wood and suchlike? I LIKE that idea. It would be neat if you made a few (not all, the idea of picking up random useless crap in a postapocalyptic world appeals to me, but SOME) of those useful later on. Say you come across a guy trying to start a fire, for example? And he gives you an item reward for it? It's just my gamer logic screaming at me. XD

Anyway, [insert typical satisfied closing comments and praise here.] :P

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back